UPSB v4

General Discussion / Is stealing combos evil?

1. PERSIST
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 05:21:35

Would i be considered a wannabe if I just slow-mo'd a really good combo and used it myself?

2. wotu1
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 06:15:54

Well if you claim it as your own, then yeah that's a douche move. If you wanna do that, just say that it's a copy of a combo then put a link to the original. If you don't reference the person who made the combo, that's basically plagiarizing except in penspinning. Copying short linkages is a different story, cause everybody does that.

3. AfroSquared
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 09:20:19

There is nothing wrong with slowing down combos and studying the linkages used and execution. You can copy small linkages (like @wotu1 said everyone does that) but copying whole combos and claiming them for yourself is bad. But there are combos that are released by spinners and they let people copy them, kinda like Erirors fundamental combo.

4. DioBrando
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 09:44:45

dont copy vicgotgame

5. Xzeria
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 10:59:05

Copying people is a good way to learn new links and improve in general. :^]

6. AfroSquared
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:03:38

DioBrando wrote: dont copy vicgotgame
    don't copy vicgotgame???? More like you [B]can't[/B] copy him. The guy is too pro

7. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:31:23

AfroSquared wrote: don't copy vicgotgame???? More like you [B]can't[/B] copy him. The guy is too pro
    He's known for being one of the most copied spinners

8. i.suk
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:08:03

AfroSquared wrote: don't copy vicgotgame???? More like you [B]can't[/B] copy him. The guy is too pro
    dat's why there's copies of his vids and links everywhere very influential though now, f2f is uncopy-able

9. LighT*
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:51:20

Its not bad, but you shouldnt just because you need to able to make your own linkages in the future (imo). But yeah if you wanna do that go ahead as long as you give credit.

10. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:55:54

i.suk wrote: dat's why there's copies of his vids and links everywhere very influential though now, f2f is uncopy-able
    MKSFT copied his easiest combo once.

11. ShadowParadox
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 13:09:52

i.suk wrote: dat's why there's copies of his vids and links everywhere very influential though now, f2f is uncopy-able
    Thebloodgod copied f2f

12. Monk
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 14:35:12

Imitated, but never duplicated. if you're going to use someone's combo, change it up so that it fits your style

13. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 14:40:50

Is stealing music evil? In our society stealing creative content created by another person and claiming it as your own is considered bad. If you have your own moral standarts thats your problem though.

14. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 15:20:56

ShadowParadox;286831]Thebloodgod copied f2f[/QUOTE] Nah, he only did the linkages individually, which anyone can do. [QUOTE=ChainBreak wrote: Is stealing music evil? In our society stealing creative content created by another person and claiming it as your own is considered bad. If you have your own moral standarts thats your problem though.
    [video=youtube;8mRJfMi3xYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mRJfMi3xYw[/video] Camille Saint-Saƫns' Tortoise is a completely copied Galop Infernal (can-can) with slower tempo Stealing bits of music without anyone whining about morals happens quite often.

15. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 22:26:30

reinterpretation is not stealing since you change one of it's fundamental aspects Also for reinterpretation it's the norm to include the original author/componist/artists name

16. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Aug 9 2014 03:28:43

stealing anything is bad, don't do it

17. RPD
    Date: Sat, Aug 9 2014 17:05:42

i.suk wrote: now, f2f is uncopy-able
    I tried. I couldn't. So I agree haha

18. iColor
    Date: Sun, Aug 10 2014 06:30:25

I disagree and say that imitating and copying another person's combo and style is really great for broadening your skills. A lot of people do different styled filler-linkages, and just getting the perspective of doing them yourself allows you to open the door to a much bigger skillset.

19. MPC
    Date: Sun, Aug 10 2014 12:48:20

In writing and other art forms, copying someone usually falls into one of these categories: Homage –*imitating another artist's style as a form of tribute. Parody –*we all know this one. Just taking the p**s out of something. Reinterpretation –*imitating the fundamental aspects of someone's previous work, but applying a different style to it. Plagiarism – copying another person's work exactly and passing it off as your own. Basically the worst crime an artist can commit. Piracy – Passing on someone else's creation for free, or selling it for your own gain. Credited copying – copying another person's work exactly, while crediting the original creator. Basically a complete waste of time. I'd say plagiarism and piracy are morally wrong, credited copying is pointless (in PS, you'd have to have comparable skills to copy someone's combo anyway, which means you're good enough to come up with something just as good or better), whereas the others are all fine. As long as you're not taking credit or profit for something you didn't create yourself, I'd say you're morally clean. :) mpc

20. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Aug 10 2014 14:26:36

Can you copy combo for tourneys? So if I were to do peem 2010 final combo in wt is it alright?

21. Xilo
    Date: Sun, Aug 10 2014 14:34:53

I think its ok if you study the combo or linkage.But never claim it as yours.Thats bad :(

22. m1ch1
    Date: Mon, Aug 11 2014 15:19:28

ShadowParadox wrote: Can you copy combo for tourneys? So if I were to do peem 2010 final combo in wt is it alright?
    Yes, you could, but you will get 0-1 points in creativity. I think it's not worth to copy a combo.

23. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Mon, Aug 11 2014 22:24:06

Copying isn't good if you're going to claim the combo for yourself. I think as long as you use the combos for just practice and stuff, it's fine. and you certainly should not use copied combos for tournaments.