UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Modding with Dr Grips (American .vs. Japanese)

1. Lost Angelus
    Date: Mon, Aug 4 2014 04:09:56

Ok, so I've made mods with American Dr Grips and I've made some mods with the Japanese Dr Grips. In my honest opinion, I think that the American Dr grips are better because: 1. The American versions don't turn yellow (none of mine have yet), while the Japanese versions become cloudy fairly quickly, and eventually start yellowing 2. The American versions are easier to find, while I had to order the Japanese version on Penwish. 3. The American Dr Grips seem to be made of a different material than the Japanese Dr. Grips. The advantage of this is that dust, hair, particles, etc, DON'T stick to the American grips; while with the Japanese grips, I'll have the occasional "Where the flip did all of this blonde hair on my pens come from? " monologue. 4. Even though the American Dr Grips are thinner, I've come to appreciate them more when trying to mod with them. If they're too thin to fit around a barrel (e.g., a G2 barrel) then I just add some clear scotch tape until it fits snugly. Not to mention that they're easier to slip on to barrels 5. The American versions are already cloudy, and from my experience, DON'T get more cloudy than how they originally came. Conversely, the Japanese Dr. Grips get cloudy and/or yellow anyways, and probably end up looking worse than the American grips. 6. Since I haven't yet had to replace any of my American Dr Grips, It'll probably end up saving people money that they would have spent buying a replacement Japanese Dr. Grip for their pens For reference, here's a picture of my personal F1r3fly G3 using An American Dr Grip (I made it 5 months ago and spin with it every day. The camera angle makes it look cloudier than it really is lol) [IMG]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah154/LostAngelusLA/5edf10f2-86e6-431b-9953-a1bab66379bd_zps77386787.jpg" />

2. ChowCow
    Date: Mon, Aug 4 2014 04:54:47

Does using American Dr Grips over Japanese Dr Grips make it different to spin? Or does it still spin relatively the same?

3. IMC Kor
    Date: Mon, Aug 4 2014 04:55:49

Japanese dr grips > American dr grips

4. Lost Angelus
    Date: Mon, Aug 4 2014 05:25:03

It depends on your preference, really. I'd prefer to not have to clean my grips or worry about them turning yellow. I use both american and japanese dr grips, but I'd prefer not to rely solely on the japanese grips; So, I use both. The american dr grips aren't as grippy, which can be an advantage or a disadvantage. If it came down to "which spins better based on mass," then refer to these pictures I just took (Scale is accurate to 0.01 g) The Japanese Dr Grip: [IMG]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah154/LostAngelusLA/48d2c38c-1f10-4be7-9064-20e5bad470da_zpsbdd8ce10.jpg" />[/IMG] The American Dr Grip: [IMG]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah154/LostAngelusLA/4296a402-8a02-4a8d-96c8-6c428be4a15a_zpsf16ed646.jpg" />[/IMG]

5. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Aug 4 2014 05:31:47

That American Dr. Grip in the second picture is from the Dr. Grip COG. COG has its own uses but the design of the Japanese Dr. Grip is much more similar to that of the American Dr. Grip RT (http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Retractable-Ballpoint-Medium-Barrel/dp/B00006IEBT) since they're designed with similar shapes. Personally I would not use the COG on F1r3Fly since the wide side of the grip is too wide to hold the G2 barrel though I suppose you could make it work if you used the wide side on the G3 cap and the thinner side on the front.

6. Lost Angelus
    Date: Mon, Aug 4 2014 06:19:09

Wow, I've never seen that kind of the american Dr grip in any stores that sell pens. I figured when I said "American Dr Grip" that it would infer the COG kind, considering I've never seen any other kind lol. I used the wide side for the tip on my F1r3fly G3 and it works fine. I wrapped some clear tape around the G2 barrel, and you can't even tell that it's there. It allows the grip to fit on really well. I added the metal ring at the end of the wide dr grip just for looks lol

7. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Aug 4 2014 19:50:39

Yeah that was the other option I was thinking about. Clear packaging tape!