UPSB v4

Philosophy / Spin Style = Personality

1. Monk
    Date: Sun, Jul 27 2014 22:44:18

Do you think that a person's spinning style reflects on their personality? For [B]example[/B], we can say that a person who is more in the Korean-styled category is impatient, and likes to sanic. Any opinions on this?

2. nv16
    Date: Sun, Jul 27 2014 23:22:09

ya know this might be true to some degree, like, we develop a style based on what we like and what kind of combos and styles we think are cool, so maybe there could be some connection

3. Dern Goid
    Date: Sun, Jul 27 2014 23:38:07

hmm, I think there could be some connection. If you're a more impatient or active person, you might spin faster and have a sharper style. Whereas if you're more of a calm person, you might have a slower smoother style. Although I don't think this would apply for everyone, it could be a possibility. One example that I can think of is SuperVValrus, he has a slower smoother style. I think he's kind of a calmer person. I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

4. Awesome
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 00:14:18

Style is a representation of your personality in a visual form. You just need enough skill to express it properly and that takes lots of practice.

5. Dakrowl
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 13:39:18

That means hal wants to kill someone's mudda

6. sarugio
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 16:11:32

yeah it thinks so, because for me Penspinning is like expressing my emotion... you can actually see their emotion by see-ing their wrist motion. except on a themed videos you can't really see that because all they did is acting. but on FS video i think yes your emotion effects your style. for example, if you're stressed out you're spinning will probably be faster and less controlable. why? because your emotion is not stable, your brain can't focus and that's why it will effect your style. this also apply to personality. i guess some people who do a lot of powertricks are more active than the one that do Technical or Flawless.

7. MPC
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 16:44:56

I'd say this is probably true. And interesting. :) mpc

8. Sekai
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 18:22:21

What about powertrickers o: i'd they're mostly peaceful patient guys

9. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 19:32:14

I think this is absolutely crackers XD The style you practice to make muscle memory for over years doesn't reflect your state of mind at that second.

10. Monk
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 19:35:00

Sekai wrote: What about powertrickers o: i'd they're mostly peaceful patient guys
    You just added to the theory pool? Lol, there must be an indirect connection or something.

11. ShadowParadox
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 19:54:34

What is style?

12. ChainBreak
    Date: Mon, Jul 28 2014 22:29:11

Most accurate description of style I can muster would be pattern of movements and combo structure.

13. Shiftyei
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 01:29:49

I think you need to be a special kind of crazy just to have the patience to spin

14. Monk
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 02:08:52

Shiftyei wrote: I think you need to be a special kind of crazy just to have the patience to spin
    pen spinning is hard

15. LighT*
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 03:08:19

Ive thought about this. It definitly could, but im not sure how we would prove it.

16. Monk
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 03:31:30

We could take a statistic, but idk how we would do that.

17. nv16
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 05:55:06

Monk wrote: We could take a statistic, but idk how we would do that.
    We could try get a bunch of people to submit their FS clips and write a short description of what kind of person they are and their mood at the time and see if there's a pattern with the types of people and the types of spinning

18. Infiknight
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 11:56:40

Yeah maybe there are some connections... But I think it's more to mood perspective. Like when I'm angry, I tend to spam more power tricks recklessly ;) if u know wat I mean

19. sarugio
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 12:53:35

i think it's connected to your emotion, not personality. because persona is mostly like "the average of your emotion" but emotion change. have you ever try to make a video and fail a lot then you feel like "F*ck this linkage, i should stop doing this" or feeling like angry when you fail on a video recording attempt at the finisher part and you know you're angry? this kind of emotion state makes you less concentrated for the next try of video recording.... and also Personality or Persona is basicly something on your mind that you can setup to face diffrent condition. like when you meet your crush you might act cool and calm. but when you're with your friends you will probably be a diffrent kind of person. according to my lecturer we normaly have 3 kind of persona that we show to the outer world: 1.persona when we meet with our friends or someone we know well. 2. persona when we meet some one we like and interested(crush, GF, SO) 3. Persona when we meet people older than us and have greater social status the us(Parent, Boss, ect)

20. Xilo
    Date: Wed, Jul 30 2014 12:16:51

I am going to guess that it is how much the spinner practices.But i also think that it depends on how much emotion the spinner has.When I am feeling down,I actually can do top spins better :P

21. Monk
    Date: Wed, Jul 30 2014 15:30:44

Xilo wrote: I am going to guess that it is how much the spinner practices.But i also think that it depends on how much emotion the spinner has.When I am feeling down,I actually can do top spins better :P
    But does your combo structure change?

22. MPC
    Date: Wed, Jul 30 2014 17:45:10

I recall Shoeman6 saying he did an experiment with finding out spinners' personality types once. Yeah, here it is: http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=431&highlight=personality+type I don't know if anyone ever noticed a correlation between personalities and styles though. I'll have a browse. mc

23. Xilo
    Date: Thu, Jul 31 2014 06:30:41

Yup. @Monk it changes my combo structure quite alot.

24. Monk
    Date: Thu, Jul 31 2014 07:11:33

Xilo wrote: Yup. @Monk it changes my combo structure quite alot.
    Then by following your theory, overall mood = style. I have a feeling that it's both your personality and overall mood mixed together.

25. AfroSquared
    Date: Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:51:42

The same could also be said for the colour schemes of your pen mods link to what type of person you are. For example a generally happy person with a bright personality would choose bright colours as a colour scheme.