UPSB v4

General Discussion / when can one call themselves ambidextrous?

1. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Jul 13 2014 14:43:20

Like the title says. When can one call themself ambidextrous? Is it when both hands know allthe fundies? Or when both hands are equal in skill?

2. MPC
    Date: Sun, Jul 13 2014 14:58:48

Not sure what the PSing definition would be, but as I understand it, being ambidextrous means you honestly couldn't say what your right and wrong hands are because you've always found things just as easy on either hand. If you do have, and have always had, one weaker and one stronger hand, then getting them to equal dexterity is hugely impressive, but I don't think it classifies you as being inherently ambidextrous. :) mpc

3. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Jul 13 2014 15:52:30

ambidextrous is a born trait where both hands have equal dexterity, you can develop something like it but there will always be asymmetry in between your hands and aren't truly ambidextrous.

4. Soren
    Date: Sun, Jul 13 2014 16:00:42

fundies, hue

5. fang
    Date: Sun, Jul 13 2014 16:32:36

I don't know what I should be called, because I don't have equal dexterity, but I learned different things with different hands. (Left: Drawing, writing| Right: tennis, guitar | Both: mouse control, penspinning(not equal skill).

6. Solaire
    Date: Wed, Aug 13 2014 05:53:11

fang wrote: I don't know what I should be called, because I don't have equal dexterity, but I learned different things with different hands. (Left: Drawing, writing| Right: tennis, guitar | Both: mouse control, penspinning(not equal skill).
    @fang you dont happen to have bad hand writing do you?? Because im the same way (Write and draw left but shoot guns and pen spin right handed lol) and my hand writing is horrid XD

7. fang
    Date: Wed, Aug 13 2014 10:01:36

Solaire wrote: @fang you dont happen to have bad hand writing do you?? Because im the same way (Write and draw left but shoot guns and pen spin right handed lol) and my hand writing is horrid XD
    My hand writing is not horrible, but it's not good either.

8. Solaire
    Date: Wed, Aug 13 2014 10:04:36

fang wrote: My hand writing is not horrible, but it's not good either.
    ahh haha so lucky! Mine looks terrible, like a 3rd grader with good handwriting

9. PERSIST
    Date: Fri, Aug 22 2014 01:32:07

fang wrote: I don't know what I should be called, because I don't have equal dexterity, but I learned different things with different hands. (Left: Drawing, writing| Right: tennis, guitar | Both: mouse control, penspinning(not equal skill).
    That's like me! I use chopsticks and forks with my left, but write with my right. I just tell people I'm part-ambidextrous and if they inquire further, then I give those examples.

10. Lost Angelus
    Date: Fri, Aug 22 2014 02:54:20

The term "Ambidextrous" is an absolute characteristic. Either you ARE Ambidextrous, or you ARE NOT. What you're talking about is called "Mixed Handedness", where you prefer your nondominant side for some tasks, and prefer your dominant side for others. Mixed-Handedness is when you use certain sides for certain tasks (i.e., writing with your left hand, kicking a ball with your right, etc.) Ambidexterity is when you can use EITHER side for any task, and there isn't a preference or a distinct performance difference. Ambidexterity is a rare characteristic that is seldom found naturally. In contrast to what somebody said earlier, [B]You CAN teach yourself to become ambidextrous.[/B] Teaching yourself to become ambidextrous is like raising one eyebrow. Some people can't raise one eyebrow without raising the other (I'm one of those people), and some have the innate ability to control each brow by itself. However, you CAN learn how to control each eyebrow alone (I should SERIOUSLY practice this, myself). Think of Ambidexterity like weightlifting. In weightlifting, you gain strength through muscle hypertrophy; but you ALSO are training your brain. Weightlifting trains your brain to activate more neurons to recruit MORE myofibrils (Tiny muscle strands) to lift heavier weights. Strength gains aren't entirely caused by muscle gains, but also are caused by your brain becoming more effective at lifting heavier things. The brain is so wickedly impressive that it's significantly more than the sum of its parts. On a lesser note: "Become Ambidextrous" is on my Bucket List XD