UPSB v4

General Discussion / A forthcoming pen spinning competition in China

1. x1213
    Date: Thu, Jun 19 2014 13:10:58

The 4th “ZhiGao Tournament” pen spinning competition is going to take place in Dongguan, China at 23th August this year. This time, they are interested in inviting international participants to join the competition, especially those who ranked very high in some previous WT/WCs. To have a brief idea of how this competition will look like, please have a look at the below 2 videos, which recorded the competition last year: Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFJLGzaZ3Q Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlgNZPgf2Ig The competition is organized by ZHIGAO (DONGGUAN) STATIONERY CO. http://www.zhigaonet.com/ -------------------------------------------------------------- If you are interested in this event, want to know more about it, and would like to participate, please send an e-mail to Zhigao directly: sales @ Zhigaonet.com. The e-mail should contains the below information: a) Your name in pen spinning community. b) Nationality. c) A brief statement of your pen spinning experiences (ex: being top 8 in WT’11) d) A pen spinning video of you that is no longer than 2 minutes. You can also ask Zhigao more detailed questions regarding the competition via that e-mail address. You may assume that they will pay the expense of airfare and accommodation for all participants admitted to the competition, since you can reject to participate if they deny paying for you. There is no strict deadline for application. -------------------------------------------------------------- Because of my limited English language skills, I give up translating the competition format into English. If you understand Chinese, please see: http://twps.us.cloudlogin.co/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=541&extra=

2. i.suk
    Date: Thu, Jun 19 2014 16:14:21

email will be sent to you tonight, sounds interesting

3. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Thu, Jun 19 2014 16:52:15

Will contact!

4. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Thu, Jun 19 2014 19:11:19

I'll try...

5. Soren
    Date: Thu, Jun 19 2014 19:15:30

oooh i see snow!

6. fang
    Date: Thu, Jun 19 2014 20:52:36

Sounds good to me, give it a shot! Although I don't have a brief statement of my pen spinning experiences. Nothing!

7. Zkhan
    Date: Thu, Jun 19 2014 21:05:19

It would be awesome if all the UPSB WC team members could go. I'd love to attend, but I don't have a passport. I don't think I could order one in time either.

8. Zen
    Date: Thu, Jun 19 2014 21:35:06

Zkhan wrote: It would be awesome if all the UPSB WC team members could go. I'd love to attend, but I don't have a passport. I don't think I could order one in time either.
    Wait why don't you have a passport? Doesn't everyone in the US have one?

9. x1213
    Date: Fri, Jun 20 2014 03:44:36

Although there is no exact deadline, if you are interested in participating in the competition, you should send your application as quickly as possible, since the quota seems to be very limited, and they will stop accepting new one once they got enough number of participants. The (d) a pen spinning video of you is actually not very important, you don't really need to spend much time filming a new one. Just give an old video of you that you like the most. ps. I am not involving in organizing the event. I am just helping them spreading the information and finding international participants.

10. Tentcell
    Date: Fri, Jun 20 2014 15:10:22

Zkhan wrote: It would be awesome if all the UPSB WC team members could go. I'd love to attend, but I don't have a passport. I don't think I could order one in time either.
    http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/FAQs.html "Processing times can vary depending on the time of year, and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 6 weeks. See Application Processing Times for more information." You could totally do it. Don't make excuses for a wonderful opportunity to travel abroad for no travel expense. Go for it man.

11. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Jun 20 2014 16:30:16

Zen wrote: Wait why don't you have a passport? Doesn't everyone in the US have one?
    Passports don't last forever. Expiration dates.

12. Zen
    Date: Fri, Jun 20 2014 20:49:12

JackyMacky wrote: Passports don't last forever. Expiration dates.
    Ah i know that but i figure you know people update them? Should be nice if Zhigoa plans to pay for airfare and everything. Would be nice to see you UPSB spinners to go and DOMINATE.

13. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Jun 20 2014 20:56:56

I would join if I wasn't afraid to travel alone and if my semester didn't start in August... -.-

14. Zkhan
    Date: Fri, Jun 20 2014 22:57:29

I could get one expedited in a few weeks, but there are some issues with me traveling. First of all, my parents wouldn't be too fond of me traveling alone. Secondly, my last exam will end August 22nd. Taking into consideration time zones, it would already be game day according to x1213. Submissions are also due today. Even I was selected to attend and have my flight booked (by PSH sponsors presumably), I wouldn't be able to give them exact dates until a month before. That's cutting way close. We'll see how it turns out. @DioBrando You guys have to attend! UPSB represent!!!

15. fang
    Date: Sat, Jun 21 2014 11:00:41

Was it really necessary to lock this thread? /unclose

16. i.suk
    Date: Sat, Jun 21 2014 11:13:08

so i will probably be going to china in 2 months or so :D since i have been accepted/invited, i guess eriror should've gotten in too time to arrange stuff i guess

17. Soren
    Date: Sat, Jun 21 2014 11:43:08

fang wrote: Was it really necessary to lock this thread? /unclose
    Bossman

18. fang
    Date: Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:19:18

i.suk wrote: so i will probably be going to china in 2 months or so :D since i have been accepted/invited, i guess eriror should've gotten in too time to arrange stuff i guess
    Wow, awesome. Kick some ass bro!

19. Reason
    Date: Sat, Jun 21 2014 14:28:52

we definitely need eriror and i.suk in that tournament. if someone could try getting in touch with VGG that would be pretty sweet too. gl guys! go UPSB!

20. Soren
    Date: Mon, Jun 23 2014 00:30:27

Erirornal Kraione wrote: Will contact!
    You heard back from them yet?

21. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Jul 2 2014 05:56:35

Wow! Good luck guys, wish I could be there to see it in person, be sure to bring back lots of pictures and stories :).

22. Soren
    Date: Wed, Jul 2 2014 21:36:52

Supergirl wrote: You heard back from them yet?
    @Erirornal Kraione

23. neoknux_009
    Date: Thu, Jul 3 2014 12:16:37

@i.suk hey man! GOOD LUCK! its sounds super fun haha. Go rep UPSB AND CRUSH THEM! i also hope eriror gets chosen. :3 that would be a great rep of upsb.

24. fang
    Date: Thu, Jul 3 2014 13:13:01

Eriror can be considered as one of the best live spinners. They will get crushed!

25. Gland
    Date: Sat, Jul 5 2014 05:34:19

Hey.. Me and Far is also invited to the event, hopefully we could arrange a gathering there! I would also ask several questions to spinners who is also invited, if you are available please pm/chat with me on fb. thank you :)

26. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Jul 6 2014 15:54:10

I heard nothing from them yet.

27. Gland
    Date: Sun, Jul 6 2014 16:40:57

Erirornal Kraione wrote: I heard nothing from them yet.
    Be sure to also check spam mail box too..

28. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Jul 6 2014 17:48:39

Nothing. =(

29. SPRiNGFiELD
    Date: Fri, Jul 11 2014 11:14:45

hey guys, been offered a chance to go too! who else is certain that they will be going ?

30. Zkhan
    Date: Sat, Jul 12 2014 18:23:32

Now that I'm free of certain time constraints, it's highly likely that I'll be attending. I believe i.suk, eriror, far, nadhif, and possibly gland intend to compete.

31. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Thu, Jul 24 2014 21:55:55

I've come to the realisation that I might be the only non-asian guy there O_o

32. Gland
    Date: Sat, Jul 26 2014 14:53:59

Ceru Seiyu wrote: I've come to the realisation that I might be the only non-asian guy there O_o
    I've heard the news Precel is going

33. Zkhan
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 00:32:30

Spinnerpeem has been confirmed as an attendee.

34. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Jul 29 2014 14:06:18

So they said thanks for the audition and they'll get back to me Bloody weird, give me an INVITE and then say they're auditioning me first .w.

35. Zkhan
    Date: Fri, Aug 1 2014 19:30:34

We have our flights booked.

36. Zkhan
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 16:22:59

[B]Update [/B] Here's a list of confirmed international guests: Spinnerpeem x1213 ppm schung far gland rarka precel Zkhan i.suk 1 unnamed THPSC spinner aiman Pixels AirGear Though we may have restricted internet access, I'll try my best to give you live updates. I'll see if I can access the UPSB twitter account and facebook page as well.

37. Pixels
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 17:53:10

The judges are peem eno and x1213 iirc. Airgear is counted as local

38. ShadowParadox
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 18:18:43

Airgear!!

Pixels wrote: The judges are peem eno and x1213 iirc. Airgear is counted as local
    Wait so peem isnt spinning?! :(

39. Pari
    Date: Fri, Aug 8 2014 20:29:55

Now we can reveal that 2 spinners form PPP are Precel and Rarka. This is huge event for us in PPP, there will be special facebook profile (but I won't link it as it is in Polish). We are happy to promote ourselves there. Of course PensFactory.pl is supporting PPP contestants.

40. Pixels
    Date: Sat, Aug 9 2014 06:06:53

il just give you a rough background of this competition. http://bbs.pserhome.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=115587 -> Thread in pserhome about boycotting it It has sparked much controversy since they feel that by zhigao getting involved in sponsorship and competition hosting, they are trying to get the credit for psh's achievements such as WT, WC, etc. This is evident from the stuff they post on their sites like "智高杯在海报中自称「智高杯是转笔界最高荣誉」" meaning that zhigao cup is of the highest honor in pen spinning world. Many feel that this is disrespectful to pen spinners. And from this competition, you could probably tell that they are attempting to gain international attention. So be mentally prepared that they might do weird stuff. This competition isnt actually very significant in the pen spinning world since most of the better spinners declined to attend such as menowa, ocha, etc. Im saying these stuff not because im supporting this boycott but just to let you be aware of what is going on. Tbh, the only reason why im going is because of the plane ticket and i can meet my friends over there :D and possibly the international guests

41. Zkhan
    Date: Sat, Aug 9 2014 10:57:23

Pixels wrote: il just give you a rough background of this competition. http://bbs.pserhome.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=115587 -> Thread in pserhome about boycotting it It has sparked much controversy since they feel that by zhigao getting involved in sponsorship and competition hosting, they are trying to get the credit for psh's achievements such as WT, WC, etc. This is evident from the stuff they post on their sites like "智高杯在海报中自称「智高杯是转笔界最高荣誉」" meaning that zhigao cup is of the highest honor in pen spinning world. Many feel that this is disrespectful to pen spinners. And from this competition, you could probably tell that they are attempting to gain international attention. So be mentally prepared that they might do weird stuff. This competition isnt actually very significant in the pen spinning world since most of the better spinners declined to attend such as menowa, ocha, etc. Im saying these stuff not because im supporting this boycott but just to let you be aware of what is going on. Tbh, the only reason why im going is because of the plane ticket and i can meet my friends over there :D and possibly the international guests
    Yeah, I've heard the same narrative. I understand the negative sentiment towards zhigao for attempting to monopolize the PS scene in china. Again, it's a business and what business wouldn't want to capitalize on a subculture that could potentially make them money. SpinZ, penzgear, and zhigao products were all marketed as toys; the demographic being towards children. Dedicated hobbyists like ourselves have a more sincere appreciation of the artform. Therefore we are the ones to propel the culture, not industries. To a certain extent, however, I think mainstream exposure is good. In the US, SpinZ and the Pentel recycology project were all short lived. So, I think it's interesting that a company would be this invested in pen spinning. I mean, they had to have spent collectively at least $12,000 USD on our plane tickets and spent whatever amount on renting that exhibition center. Reaching out to international spinners was a cool thing to do. I wouldn't take the tournament as something official or as something deeply relevant to the PS scene either. It's a chance for me to travel abroad for the first time and meet spinners outside the US. As for the specifics of the competition, I don't really understand the format or rules. All I know is that only 28 spinners qualify for the 4 round tournament and that there are cash prizes for the top 4. My expectations for the tournament: -Handwaving -Dancing -3 meter white stick mods -i.suk doing 9001x spiderspins -Zkhan managing to go offcam -ppm's super duper 2 hand waving technique

42. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Aug 12 2014 19:12:07

The false claim stuff is really annoying though I wonder if Zhigao know that we slag off all their products as the worst pen mods ever

43. x1213
    Date: Wed, Aug 13 2014 06:14:03

For those who are going to participate (especially if you are interested in getting top ranks): Although there is no time constraint in rule, the participants are expected to give a performance of length about 40~120 sec. In my opinion, the most appropriate length of combo is 60~90 sec. Anything below 30 secs will be considered too short and not enough. But if you are confident enough, you may do shorter combos in initial rounds and save materials for the final. Participants are allowed to use extremely long sticks or other props. You may combine your performance with other form of juggling, magic, or performance art, like dancing. Combos that look good under camera in certain position/angle may not look good on stage. According to the current rule, it seems that in final round, public voting (by non-penspinners) will contribute to a portion of score. Be aware of this. Here are some examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMVeoJTyfb0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgcYmSFsu58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxE2rVwYtfQ ------------- By the way, I think Zhigao already knew that their products are criticized badly in pen spinning community since their staff read Chinese pen spinning forum. But we don't know why they do not improve their products.

44. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Fri, Aug 15 2014 17:10:19

Good luck everyone, wish I could be there. :) I'll meet you guys someday.

45. Zkhan
    Date: Mon, Aug 18 2014 12:14:25

Erirornal Kraione wrote: Good luck everyone, wish I could be there. :) I'll meet you guys someday.
    Thanks Eriror :) Tomorrow's my flight. Wish me a safe trip.

46. ShadowParadox
    Date: Mon, Aug 18 2014 13:36:41

x1213 wrote: Combos that look good under camera in certain position/angle may not look good on stage. According to the current rule, it seems that in final round, public voting (by non-penspinners) will contribute to a portion of score. Be aware of this.
    power tricks spam initiate

47. neoknux_009
    Date: Sun, Aug 24 2014 10:00:46

so i hear snow won? i need to hear a report on how it all went!

48. Rarka
    Date: Mon, Aug 25 2014 02:05:23

Snow won, second was ppm (pun new continious blindfolded wat wat) , third was Orange I think. I will write more in two weeks when I get home, right now me and Precel are in Hong Kong. But the whole event was amazing!

49. ShadowParadox
    Date: Mon, Aug 25 2014 08:27:32

Rarka wrote: Snow won, second was ppm (pun new continious blindfolded wat wat) , third was Orange I think. I will write more in two weeks when I get home, right now me and Precel are in Hong Kong. But the whole event was amazing!
    Any video footage?

50. MPC
    Date: Mon, Aug 25 2014 09:00:26

Sounds awesome. :) mpc

51. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Aug 25 2014 09:38:18

ShadowParadox wrote: Any video footage?
    heaps, but it will probably take a while for everyone to get their stuff up etc best part was being able to meet with so many spinners from different countries, talk with them, learn and show things, see their spinning irl :D there will be a similar event around this time next year

52. neoknux_009
    Date: Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:00:42

Rarka wrote: Snow won, second was ppm (pun new continious blindfolded wat wat) , third was Orange I think. I will write more in two weeks when I get home, right now me and Precel are in Hong Kong. But the whole event was amazing!
    DAFAQ RARKA WAS THERE. PERHAPS I WOULD HAVE GONE IF I HAD KNOWN!!! D:

53. Pixels
    Date: Mon, Aug 25 2014 13:20:18

Third was ian jenson, fourth was orange

54. Rarka
    Date: Mon, Aug 25 2014 14:48:56

Pixels wrote: Third was ian jenson, fourth was orange
    Alright, sorry for misleading. Yeah Neoknux, I was there and I am still in Asia, but Australia is still too far away for me to fly there :( And by the way, the Zhigao pens are quite good, me and Precel have been spinning with them since we had got them.

55. Alvaris
    Date: Mon, Aug 25 2014 15:33:01

i.suk wrote: heaps, but it will probably take a while for everyone to get their stuff up etc best part was being able to meet with so many spinners from different countries, talk with them, learn and show things, see their spinning irl :D there will be a similar event around this time next year
    similar event around this time next year LOOK WHO'S GOING AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

56. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Aug 27 2014 16:23:59

saw some pictures on facebook, sweet!

57. Zkhan
    Date: Wed, Aug 27 2014 21:06:27

Yeah, the whole event was great. I loved meeting other pen spinners. We made a lot of friends.

58. exclusive
    Date: Wed, Aug 27 2014 21:33:58

Rarka;287819]Alright, sorry for misleading. Yeah Neoknux, I was there and I am still in Asia, but Australia is still too far away for me to fly there :( And by the way, the Zhigao pens are quite good, me and Precel have been spinning with them since we had got them.[/QUOTE] jw did zhigao pay you to say that? [QUOTE=Zombo wrote: saw some pictures on facebook, sweet!
    links pls?

59. i.suk
    Date: Thu, Aug 28 2014 09:56:41

http://tieba.baidu.com/photo/p?kw=%D7%AA%B1%CA&tid=3256986872&pic_id=e9b93ff33a87e950d602d37c13385343faf2b4c6&pn=1&see_lz=0 click arrow on right to see more photos in album

60. Gland
    Date: Thu, Aug 28 2014 15:22:07

Meet you guys in real life is one of best moment of my life! ..and I feel lucky to win against @i.suk in the 2nd round was I? lol, I'm not deserved

61. i.suk
    Date: Thu, Aug 28 2014 16:09:09

Gland wrote: Meet you guys in real life is one of best moment of my life! ..and I feel lucky to win against @i.suk in the 2nd round was I? lol, I'm not deserved
    the allocation for who passes r2 was kinda....funny xD but at least, you can claim you beat me now :D hopefully we can meet again next year i've got vids of spin transfers from knifores to me, might upload soon

62. Gland
    Date: Thu, Aug 28 2014 21:51:33

i.suk wrote: the allocation for who passes r2 was kinda....funny xD but at least, you can claim you beat me now :D hopefully we can meet again next year i've got vids of spin transfers from knifores to me, might upload soon
    great! I've got your spin transfer vid with Precel tho, but I will upload with the whole videos after editing.