UPSB v4

Board Comments / UPSB App

1. Court34
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 01:53:39

I have been on the road a lot, and I want to post something I think of. So should there be a upsb app?

2. Zen
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 02:16:51

What do you mean UPSB app? There is already tapatalk for this forum. If you want to post on this forum using your mobile phone. Get Tapatalk There is no need for a UPSB app. Unless you have something else in mind.

3. Van
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 02:46:55

mobile version sucks anyways

4. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 03:28:05

chrome lol Frog~

5. nv16
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 07:04:15

what about if there was an app that was like an updated and much better version on the wiki to make it 100% easier for people learn about pen spinning and get into pen spinning. so there could be like a glossary of all of the terms and a thing with all the tricks categorized correctly and all the pen mods correctly categorized as well as videos and slow-mo's so that when connected to internet you can watch them to keep the file size down. That'd be hella cool, it'd also be hella cool if the wiki got updated, tbh I just want the wiki updated, someone should update the wiki....

6. Infiknight
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 11:55:20

That wud be nice

7. Zen
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 19:16:06

nv16 wrote: what about if there was an app that was like an updated and much better version on the wiki to make it 100% easier for people learn about pen spinning and get into pen spinning. so there could be like a glossary of all of the terms and a thing with all the tricks categorized correctly and all the pen mods correctly categorized as well as videos and slow-mo's so that when connected to internet you can watch them to keep the file size down. That'd be hella cool, it'd also be hella cool if the wiki got updated, tbh I just want the wiki updated, someone should update the wiki....
    It is not that easy. I talk from experience. I have made a few updates on the thread (you know being a researcher and all) It is hard work. I will see what i can do. If you want anything updated. PM me. I will see what i can do. It is my duty as a researcher.

8. Monk
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 20:12:29

What's the point of having an app on the road? They require internet either way.

9. LighT*
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 22:13:14

use the tapatalk app, you canveiw your forums :)

10. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Jun 6 2014 23:02:14

nv16 wrote: what about if there was an app that was like an updated and much better version on the wiki to make it 100% easier for people learn about pen spinning and get into pen spinning. so there could be like a glossary of all of the terms and a thing with all the tricks categorized correctly and all the pen mods correctly categorized as well as videos and slow-mo's so that when connected to internet you can watch them to keep the file size down. That'd be hella cool, it'd also be hella cool if the wiki got updated, tbh I just want the wiki updated, someone should update the wiki....
    That's an unbelievably weighty task... Also if you want to update the wiki, GO AND EDIT IT, it's a WIKI. Makes me cringe when people whine about outdatedness and not touch the wiki

11. nv16
    Date: Sat, Jun 7 2014 01:49:22

Ceru Seiyu wrote: That's an unbelievably weighty task... Also if you want to update the wiki, GO AND EDIT IT, it's a WIKI. Makes me cringe when people whine about outdatedness and not touch the wiki
    Yeah I know making an app would be really hard to do but if some one would give me all the info to put into an app I'd totally learn how to make one but I don't have the kind of knowledge about penspinning to be able to do that or to update the wiki, if I did I would totally update as much of the wiki as I could. I would go get the knowledge to do so but atm I've got wayyy too much school work.

12. Zen
    Date: Sat, Jun 7 2014 02:06:51

nv16 wrote: Yeah I know making an app would be really hard to do but if some one would give me all the info to put into an app I'd totally learn how to make one but I don't have the kind of knowledge about penspinning to be able to do that or to update the wiki, if I did I would totally update as much of the wiki as I could. I would go get the knowledge to do so but atm I've got wayyy too much school work.
    That is what he is saying. Don't ask for it. Try to do it yourself. If you were able to do that, it would be major

13. nv16
    Date: Sat, Jun 7 2014 12:42:57

Zen wrote: That is what he is saying. Don't ask for it. Try to do it yourself. If you were able to do that, it would be major
    So I'm not entirely certain if you're talking about an app or the wiki or both so I'll just address it for both lel I might make an app, no promises tho, if I do decide to I'll make a thread somewhere on the forum. As for the wiki, on friday after I've gotten all my school assignments out of the way I'm gonna try start updating the stuff on the wiki that I'm able to. Do you know if there's somewhere like the wiki refurbishment thread that I should post saying the changes I've made or anything like that?

14. Infiknight
    Date: Wed, Jun 11 2014 03:38:45

Monk wrote: What's the point of having an app on the road? They require internet either way.
    Hahas.... The first world problem lol :)

15. Monk
    Date: Wed, Jun 11 2014 12:46:20

Infiknight wrote: Hahas.... The first world problem lol :)
    lets invent movable wifi11!1!!!1

16. Froggy
    Date: Wed, Jun 11 2014 15:47:34

pocket wifi. Frog~

Monk wrote: lets invent movable wifi11!1!!!1

17. Infiknight
    Date: Fri, Jun 13 2014 06:54:00

Monk wrote: lets invent movable wifi11!1!!!1
    Imagine how cool that would be

18. nv16
    Date: Fri, Jun 13 2014 10:38:07

Infiknight wrote: Imagine how cool that would be
    why imagine when you could actually own, moveable, pocket wifi I wish I had pocket wifi, actually just I wish I had wifi in general. running ethernet cables through the house sucks...

19. Infiknight
    Date: Fri, Jun 13 2014 11:25:53

nv16 wrote: why imagine when you could actually own, moveable, pocket wifi I wish I had pocket wifi, actually just I wish I had wifi in general. running ethernet cables through the house sucks...
    Really?? Such thing actually exists??

20. nv16
    Date: Fri, Jun 13 2014 13:22:13

Infiknight wrote: Really?? Such thing actually exists??
    Yep! It's a great time to be alive ain't it?

21. ShadowParadox
    Date: Fri, Jun 13 2014 16:17:11

nv16 wrote: Yep! It's a great time to be alive ain't it?
    not to be sour pus but wouldnt the radiation fry your balls and your head making you a zombie for life?

22. Monk
    Date: Fri, Jun 13 2014 18:08:07

nv16 wrote: Yep! It's a great time to be alive ain't it?
    That's what they said centuries ago when toilets were invented.

23. nv16
    Date: Sat, Jun 14 2014 02:02:34

ShadowParadox;283997]not to be sour pus but wouldnt the radiation fry your balls and your head making you a zombie for life?[/QUOTE] the radio signals used for wifi are non-ionizing, so they're not dangerous as far as I understand, its ionizing waves like x-rays and gamma rays are the ones that do damage. But unless there's something else that's radioactive or something like that in there it'd shouldn't be too bad [QUOTE=Monk wrote: That's what they said centuries ago when toilets were invented.
    toilets are just as amazing as pocket wifi :P

24. kthun
    Date: Sat, Jun 14 2014 06:11:48

nv16 wrote: the radio signals used for wifi are non-ionizing, so they're not dangerous as far as I understand, its ionizing waves like x-rays and gamma rays are the ones that do damage. But unless there's something else that's radioactive or something like that in there it'd shouldn't be too bad toilets are just as amazing as pocket wifi :P
    It's possible to get cooked in close proximity to a high output antenna (especially if it's directive). WiFi devices are going to be very low power, mostly due to FCC/power limitations. I think it's like a watt max output power and 4 watts EIRP at 1 watt power supplied. The antenna can be made more directive at a lower cost of supplied power but directive WiFi is usually terrible for practical use. tldr; WiFi isn't dangerous but you can still get cooked sitting by high power antennas (that transmit instead of receive only)

25. sarugio
    Date: Thu, Jul 3 2014 05:08:00

i think apps for UPSB wiki w/ tut for mods and tricks is much better. you can also sell the app on appstore/google play to raise found for the forum it self

26. nv16
    Date: Fri, Jul 4 2014 06:42:22

sarugio wrote: i think apps for UPSB wiki w/ tut for mods and tricks is much better. you can also sell the app on appstore/google play to raise found for the forum it self
    Come to think of it even just one that has tuts for mods could be good as it means you'd be able to have fast access to a list of the pens you'd need while you're out, like if you went out without the intention of looking for pens but end up doing so anyway then there'd already be an easily accessed list for the pens on you phone or ipod.

27. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Jul 4 2014 08:27:22

nv16 wrote: Come to think of it even just one that has tuts for mods could be good as it means you'd be able to have fast access to a list of the pens you'd need while you're out, like if you went out without the intention of looking for pens but end up doing so anyway then there'd already be an easily accessed list for the pens on you phone or ipod.
    Oh that's cool Seriously if we had a god damn app developer we wouldn't need "idea guys"

28. ShadowParadox
    Date: Fri, Jul 4 2014 10:41:57

Y does upsb need an app? Use the browser?

29. nv16
    Date: Fri, Jul 4 2014 11:52:55

Ceru Seiyu;285051]Oh that's cool Seriously if we had a god damn app developer we wouldn't need "idea guys"[/QUOTE] If you want me too and if there's a big enough want for one I'll learn how to use something like adobe flash or whatever to develop an app, I still have a week of school holidays left that I could use to learn how to make one so that I could go ahead and make it. Having used flash before I'd say it shouldn't be too hard considering that flash has code snippets so I wouldn't have to learn much coding, I'd just have to make the image resources, which is easily done in illustrator or photoshop, then go ahead and transfer it into flash then add the code snippets. [QUOTE=ShadowParadox wrote: Y does upsb need an app? Use the browser?
    It's not really a matter of need, it's more of a want, plus if you're away from home and don't have internet access or a computer, just a smartphone or ipod touch but still want access to something like pen modding tutorials so you can get a list of pens you need it'd be helpful But yeah if I am gonna make an app I'd need to know exactly what it would be and what to put into it and that people are going to want in and get it. I'd also need someone else to publish it to the app store as I do believe you need a mac to do so and I don't have access to one of them, I may be able to find a friend with one but idk

30. ShadowParadox
    Date: Fri, Jul 4 2014 12:25:01

I know c#. Currently learning wpf

31. nv16
    Date: Sun, Jul 6 2014 13:56:10

so apparently you need like $99 and Mac to publish an app, I have neither so I'm not making anything

32. sarugio
    Date: Wed, Jul 9 2014 17:56:41

I heard about a software for Mac something called "app developer" or "apple app developer" but it have some kind of templates to make your own apps which is i think is pretty easy with this, but i don't have a Mac. while on the other hand building an App for android is much more complicated i think. you need to know SDK and stuffs. But if you're willing to pay maybe we can Hire someone professional to make this app. Also i think having a Chat room in the app is also cool. because chatting in the shoutbox from your phone browser kind of sucks

33. Solaire
    Date: Sat, Jul 12 2014 05:41:50

There could be a funding thing for people to donate so that when we hit- lets say $99 for the apple publish- the app could be made. And i agree with nv16 a mod tutorial and parts list would be pretty awesome :D maybe even have penwish built in for frequent buyers :) and a mobile shoutbox sounds magnificent

34. nv16
    Date: Sat, Jul 12 2014 08:03:35

so I found out that I can run mac os x on windows with an emulator thing and with that I could download xcode and use proper iOS SDK tools. So I can try make an app, can't publish it unless there's the $99/year though, if there was enough interest the donation thing might work, but theres no point getting funds until an app is actually made. I have to go back to school again on monday but I can try getting osx and xcode next weekend and playing around with it to see what I can do.

35. Solaire
    Date: Sun, Jul 13 2014 17:53:47

@nv16 niice i thought mac could run windows through a thing called boot camp but not vice versa. Emulating an operating system sounds power consuming lol, im definitely interested and im sure many others are

36. nv16
    Date: Mon, Jul 14 2014 09:34:16

Solaire wrote: @nv16 niice i thought mac could run windows through a thing called boot camp but not vice versa. Emulating an operating system sounds power consuming lol, im definitely interested and im sure many others are
    yeah there's a program called virtual box that you can use to run other operating systems, idk if it's power consuming but I'll find out when I get it