UPSB v4

General Discussion / When has one learned a trick?

1. Laugh
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 19:27:11

When can one say one has learned a trick? When one can perform it once in awhile? When it happens consistently? When one understands the motion?

2. Enkronidus
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 20:14:56

When one understands how it works and can execute it Doesn't mean you must be able to do it constantly

3. Zen
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 21:07:08

"When one understands the motion?" Lol i guess this is for me? Anyway, one learns a trick when he is able to correctly do it [B]at will[/B]. It doesn't mean he has to do it constantly. He the person is able to do a thumbaround when he wants to do it, then he has "learned" the trick.

4. Awesome
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 22:11:54

learn the trick is to be able to land it a few times and start to be able to implement it into combos. Not quite mastered but still functional for demonstration purposes

5. MPC
    Date: Sun, May 4 2014 07:50:48

I don't know where this comes from, but there is a theory that all learning follows these four steps: Unconscious incompetence > conscious incompetence > conscious competence > unconscious competence So in PS terms, I guess the moment you first attempt a trick you progress to the second phase, then when you can execute the trick you move to the third phase, then it's only when you can do it with no effort at all, absent-mindedly, that you have fully learned it. Does that make sense? I really can't remember where I read that. :S mpc

6. Zen
    Date: Sun, May 4 2014 15:21:08

mpc2014 wrote: I don't know where this comes from, but there is a theory that all learning follows these four steps: Unconscious incompetence > conscious incompetence > conscious competence > unconscious competence So in PS terms, I guess the moment you first attempt a trick you progress to the second phase, then when you can execute the trick you move to the third phase, then it's only when you can do it with no effort at all, absent-mindedly, that you have fully learned it. Does that make sense? I really can't remember where I read that. :S mpc
    Yeah it's called the "Four Stages of Competence" made by Noel Burch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence In PS it falls under the alternative stages. Unconscious incompetence= Not aware of the "trick" as the need to preform it has not arrised Conscious incompetence= Becomes aware of the fact that they are incompetent Conscious Competence= Person can do the trick but it requires concentration and knowledge. Unconscious competence= Person can do it at will without being aware There is also a 5th stage which, in laymen terms, is when it becomes a reaction. So when you are able to do the trick to such a degree that you no longer even have to think about it, it is conditioned into your fingers. Interesting stuff.