UPSB v4

Advanced Tricks / How to get past 'the wall'?

1. MPC
    Date: Fri, May 2 2014 19:00:09

So here's a scenario: You want to learn a new trick, so you watch videos, you study the technique and you practice loads. Finally you execute the trick for the first time, and soon you can do it, maybe 10-20% of the time. Then you keep practicing for ages and just hit a wall where you can't improve, no matter how much you practice or tweak your technique, and you actually start getting worse. Who's got some good advice on what to do when you hit 'the wall'? Thanks, mpc :)

2. wotu1
    Date: Fri, May 2 2014 19:08:08

Change your mentality cause you can and will improve when you keep on practicing

3. Zen
    Date: Fri, May 2 2014 19:11:03

When obviously when one faces a wall, he breaks it, metaphorically of course. I would suggest just presenting your problem to a social platform, such as this forum. As a whole we know many things ( in this case pen spinning) What trick do you speak of? For me the first step in learning a trick is not looking at videos, but understanding the motion. Pen spinning is made up of tricks and these tricks are essentially just hand movements. So if you know and understand, this is key, the hand movements then you understand the trick and pen spinning itself, according to logic. Practice and research is good, but it is not enough. [B]A master swordsman knows not only how to bend the sword but also why he slashes. [/B]

4. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, May 2 2014 19:11:29

mpc2014 wrote: So here's a scenario: You want to learn a new trick, so you watch videos, you study the technique and you practice loads. Finally you execute the trick for the first time, and soon you can do it, maybe 10-20% of the time. Then you keep practicing for ages and just hit a wall where you can't improve, no matter how much you practice or tweak your technique, and you actually start getting worse. Who's got some good advice on what to do when you hit 'the wall'? Thanks, mpc :)
    If you practice something too much in one day, your muscles will actually become a little less adept at doing it on that day. You need to come back to it and do it the next day, because there is a limit to how much your braind can learn in a day (especially where it stores muscle memory) Rome wasn't built in a day! Don't worry about it, the key is practicing a lot of different things sufficiently every day until you learn them, which speeds up your progression. (by the way Zen is right, knowing something down to finer details will help you adjust)

5. Soren
    Date: Fri, May 2 2014 22:10:53

Don't try to break the wall down, jump over it! And if you can't jump high enough, you climb!

6. Awesome
    Date: Fri, May 2 2014 23:47:31

Take a rest and come back, if you are getting worse you've already maxed out the practice time you can put in and have to rest. You will come back in a few days and it will feel much easier.

7. spenpinner
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 02:52:38

I agree with Euro. Breaks are important for spinning.

8. Court34
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 04:24:32

This actually just happened to me. I watched so many people doing busts, so i tried to learn it. i got to a double bust, but, out of 10 times, i only did it say 3. I tried changing, but nothing improved. So, I just stopped trying it for a couple of days. That was just the break i needed. I started busting like normal again, and i actually got up to 4x. So, in my perspective, i think taking rests is key.

9. MPC
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 07:45:25

Thanks guys, that's some good advice (and some excellent metaphors) To answer your question @Zen - it's one trick and a linkage atm: Sym Bak and FLTA rev > Palm Spin rev > FLTA rev I tend to just practice while I'm talking on the phone at work or studying at home - so I probably do have some days where my hand gets tired, which might explain the regression. mpc

10. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 07:49:22

mpc2014 wrote: Thanks guys, that's some good advice (and some excellent metaphors) To answer your question @Zen - it's one trick and a linkage atm: Sym Bak and FLTA rev > Palm Spin rev > FLTA rev I tend to just practice while I'm talking on the phone at work or studying at home - so I probably do have some days where my hand gets tired, which might explain the regression. mpc
    Woah! Theyre some pretty hard tricks espcially the palmspin rev....are u sure u shouod be doing them at your level? If u still wanna do them...make sure u dont give up and agreeing with ceru take regular breaks...no metaphors from me, i got nothing XD

11. MPC
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 08:52:57

Haha, yeah @ShadowParadox you might be right. Perhaps, because I can actually do them (just not consistently), I assumed they weren't too advanced for me. I may have to rethink that. :p

12. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 10:59:25

mpc2014 wrote: Haha, yeah @ShadowParadox you might be right. Perhaps, because I can actually do them (just not consistently), I assumed they weren't too advanced for me. I may have to rethink that. :p
    Lol yh i once did a punkan by mistake....tried again...gave up....just not ready for me yet XD

13. Zen
    Date: Sat, May 3 2014 16:02:53

mpc2014 wrote: Thanks guys, that's some good advice (and some excellent metaphors) To answer your question @Zen - it's one trick and a linkage atm: Sym Bak and FLTA rev > Palm Spin rev > FLTA rev I tend to just practice while I'm talking on the phone at work or studying at home - so I probably do have some days where my hand gets tired, which might explain the regression. mpc
    Ah yes, it may be because you are trying to learn a hard linkage and trick (nothing wrong with that) I suggest take a break as they said and in the meantime, don't just "look and analyze" the videos. Actually try to understand them. (ps. I bet my metaphor was the best right?)