UPSB v4

General Discussion / Systematical Method To Train Consistency

1. Soren
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 00:21:23

I was going to post this in the "bust help" thread and then I thought that this may actually be a good method, and it would gain a lot more exposure if I made a thread about it. Is there a way that you guys practice continuous bust? (saying continuous bust here specifically because I was going to post this in the bust help thread) Or do you just practice it [B]casually[/B]. In the sense that you just keep busting until you fail. Because I think I've created a systematical way of practicing to enhance consistency. This can be applied for all other tricks and linkages etc. Step 1: Do a single bust. Then repeat this 10 times. If you fail at any moment you have to start again. The idea here is to do a single bust, 10 times in a row without fail. (SINGLE NOT CONTINUOUS) Step 2: Do a double bust. Then repeat this 10 times. If you fail at any moment you have to start again, and do the double busts without fail 10 times in a row. Step 3: Do a triple bust. I'm sure you get the idea now. So do a triple bust 10 times in a row without fail, if you fail you start again. Step 4: Apply same method as above and do quadra bust, then penta bust, and then keep on going. I've tried this, and doing it ten times in a row does seem rather time consuming, so maybe you would want to lower it to 5 times in a row. Also going up in increments of only one bust at a time makes it even more time consuming. So maybe when you're at 4 busts instead of jumping to 5 busts, do 6 busts instead. And when you've reached like 8-10 busts you should have already developed good consistency by now so that you won't fail continuous busts at around 4 or 5 now. So maybe at this point you can [B]casually[/B] practice continuous bust since you already have consistency now. The key here to build consistency is repetition. So what do you guys think of this method for training? Is it rather time consuming? Or do you think that being time consuming is necessary to train the consistency? Have you guys already been training like this? Do you have your own methods when it comes to training consistency? Let me know with a post below. Edit: I actually thought of this a while a ago, back when I still practiced spinning. Not sure why it took me so long to share this.

2. Solid
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 00:27:47

i think im going to have to try this. it should help my busting and fl ta cont. thanks supergirl!

3. Soren
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 00:29:38

Solid wrote: i think im going to have to try this. it should help my busting and fl ta cont. thanks supergirl!
    No problem, let me know how it works for you.

4. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 09:32:10

Umm that seems really long and tedious for me. For me I just keep busting and keep going till I fail

5. Xzeria
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 12:13:22

Sure, I kinda allready did this but sligthly differently. Just doing it focused should help. Good idea on making a thread to spread the knowledge though. ; )

6. Mystic
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 16:06:35

Ive done this with my FLTA's and I do believe it works quite well.

7. Obstracized
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 17:11:15

I practice my Busts pretty casually, since I lack the Focus and Mentality for Intense Practice Sessions on a Single Trick. XD That is why most, if not all, of my Continuous Trick Records improve very slowly overtime. But, that's just me. Also, generally Time Consuming is needed for training Consistency since you'll be repeating that same Motion over and over again.

8. Voracity
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 17:25:09

How can you continue after penta bust when you have already aced :D all jokes aside I use this for continuous spider spin and I have improved drastically. Pretty effective method but quite time consuming.

9. Reason
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 18:39:38

i think im going to start attempting this method of practicing. i usually just practice power casually to rest from a normal combo, but my consistency is really bad. my record for palmspin ~> flta is like 25, but most of the time i can only get 3 or 4... ill share my results in a few days.

10. Chobi
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 21:36:11

Guys, guys. Listen to Mystic, he's pro.

Mystic wrote: Ive done this with my FLTA's and I do believe it works quite well.

11. Shiftyei
    Date: Sat, Apr 19 2014 22:11:42

i've always had a theory that if to be truly consistent, you only need to do three flawlessly. This is because the first is an "untainted" trick. The second time around doing the trick, it is a "Tainted after untainted" rep, and the third is "Tainted after tainted" trick. That might not make much sense =/

12. Whirlpool
    Date: Sun, Apr 20 2014 02:18:07

I like the method, I feel like it has a good way of working up the ladder.

13. Zen
    Date: Sun, Apr 20 2014 03:41:55

This is just basic conditioning. It is much better to realize your mistake, before aimlessly doing it over again. So that you avoid conditioning a [B]mistake[/B]. And this is nothing new. You guys act like this is a revelation.

14. Reason
    Date: Sun, Apr 20 2014 04:38:37

Zen wrote: This is just basic conditioning. It is much better to realize your mistake, before aimlessly doing it over again. So that you avoid conditioning a [B]mistake[/B]. And this is nothing new. You guys act like this is a revelation.
    obviously this is for people who already understand the trick. the idea is simply to do it with less fails. the use of this method is not for learning a trick, but for perfecting it. i can do 20 busts, but thats only after like 20 attempts. with this method of training, i hope to do 20 busts with only 2 attempts. i dont think anyone was treating this like a breakthrough either... its a pretty obvious solution, but i think its one worth trying.

15. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Apr 20 2014 10:51:08

Zen wrote: This is just basic conditioning. It is much better to realize your mistake, before aimlessly doing it over again. So that you avoid conditioning a [B]mistake[/B]. And this is nothing new. You guys act like this is a revelation.
    No, it is training muscle memory, power trick failures are due to lack of minute, subconscious corrections that keep the pen in the same area and at the right speed. It's impossible to consciously correct it as you go along because the amount of factors is too large and the speed of the trick is faster than your reaction time. And no, it was not a new revelation, because anyone with a brain will remember that TBG uses this and had a video up on it before. I would strongly suggest using this, especially considering TBG was considered a power trick prodigy back when he uploaded the video.

16. Soren
    Date: Sun, Apr 20 2014 12:20:09

Ceru Seiyu wrote: No, it is training muscle memory, power trick failures are due to lack of minute, subconscious corrections that keep the pen in the same area and at the right speed. It's impossible to consciously correct it as you go along because the amount of factors is too large and the speed of the trick is faster than your reaction time. And no, it was not a new revelation, because anyone with a brain will remember that TBG uses this and had a video up on it before. I would strongly suggest using this, especially considering TBG was considered a power trick prodigy back when he uploaded the video.
    Oh really? Can I have the link please? On my phone so cbb to search for it now.