UPSB v4

General Discussion / Do heavy mods kill control?

1. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 10:32:36

yesterday i had a debate with van and he said that heavy mods kill control and makes your spinning look "shit",i said that spinners like peem and supawit who did start with heavy mods dont look shit. so what do u think?

2. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 11:05:33

The question on the poll sounds like, peem and supa spinning are shit, is the cause due to heavy mods or not

3. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 11:46:40

Walkaz wrote: The question on the poll sounds like, peem and supa spinning are shit, is the cause due to heavy mods or not
    ok well no what i meant was do spinners like peem and supawit who start with heavy mods have shit control and their spinning "looks" shit

4. fang
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 11:51:09

Someone's spinning is sh*t or not, nothing to do with mods. Besides that, it's an opinion anyway. Spinning heavy mods does change your spinning though!

5. Xzeria
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 14:10:06

I don't think spinning heavy mods is why. But spinning light mods is a good way to build up control, it's not the only way though.

6. Reason
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 14:10:54

im not really sure how it works... some people who spin incredibly heavy pens have poor control, but others can have perfect control with them. and peem and supawit obviously dont have poor control.

7. i.suk
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 14:39:32

Reason wrote: im not really sure how it works... some people who spin incredibly heavy pens have poor control, but others can have perfect control with them. and peem and supawit obviously dont have poor control.
    control depends far more on your extent of mastery of the material concerned rather than mod weight itself (at least from 13-20g or so weight range that most mods fall into, ofc something like a straw or a solid metal beam are extremes that don't follow this) regarding poll question - most of the people who dislike peem's and supa's spinning isn't because the THPSC guys started with heavy mods, it's because of their material/style/setup/spinning ideology etcetc

8. Soren
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 14:43:26

I don't think peem and supawit's spinning look shit

9. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 15:07:18

OK I meant that people who start with heavy mods look shit at spinning, not just peem and supawit. Personally it doesn't matter to me as I just do power and it looks fine and peem is my fav spinner. But its the other people who think differently and say heavy mods give shit control

10. Zen
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 15:32:20

Peem and Supawit i beleive did not start out with heavy mods. They were started spinning other things, in fact the buster was invented by Spinnerpeem, he pretty much invented the whole power trick thing. (Popularized is a better word) If you start off with a very heavy mod like a Cypher mod lol or Buster you hands will feel the wrath. It is a drastic change from spinning pens to full fledged mods with heavy metal tips. I don't understand why people are so eager to learn power tricks. It doesn't really matter about the trick but how you use it and preform it. So i believe that it does change your general control, especially if you start out with a heavy mod. This in essence is a "buster noob"

11. Dern Goid
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 15:33:06

IMO you should start with a light mod, simply because it builds your spinning so that when you pick up a heavier mod you can execute tricks better. Now, I don't think heavy mods "kill" your control, they just don't build your spinning in the same way lighter mods do. But like everything, if you always spin heavy mods, you'll get good at it, that's why peem and supa's spinning isn't bad at all. My opinion on this :D

12. Van
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 15:42:14

First of all, your poll has nothing to do with your question Of course peem and supa's spinning won't "look" shit, how long do you think they spun for? Zen said what needed to be said

13. Sekai
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 15:58:12

whoever voted yes should quit spinning

14. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 16:05:03

Van wrote: First of all, your poll has nothing to do with your question Of course peem and supa's spinning won't "look" shit, how long do you think they spun for? Zen said what needed to be said
    yh i know but i dont know how to change it

15. Reason
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 16:25:28

i.suk wrote: control depends far more on your extent of mastery of the material concerned rather than mod weight itself (at least from 13-20g or so weight range that most mods fall into, ofc something like a straw or a solid metal beam are extremes that don't follow this)
    so do you mean that you can have good control with pretty much anything if you practice with it long enough?

16. Soren
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 16:38:35

Reason wrote: so do you mean that you can have good control with pretty much anything if you practice with it long enough?
    Of course, if we are speaking about pen mods and not straws.

17. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 16:48:46

can i get a mod to rename the poll to "Does starting with heavy mods make your control shit?" @Zkhan ?

18. Enkronidus
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 16:50:50

I nulled vote because I don't understand the title of the poll I'm pretty sure every super old timer of THPSC started off with a comssa or stuff like that, since it was the only thing being sold in the online store back then along with RSVP. PDS Comssas, to be exact. Supawit managed to get a Dr.KT some time before his 1 year. I can't remember what peem spun, though Do heavy mods kill control? It does not kill control nor style in that sense. Style and control develop overtime. YOU CAN BE WHAT YOU WANT TO BE. So it is pretty much irrelevant in long term. Ultimately, it's more of a preference. In short term: You can progress faster if you start off with heavy mods, but you may suffer control problem when you tryout light mods later on. But that's not a hard fix. and side note; I think every beginner's spinning looks shit anyway, lol

19. Shiftyei
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 16:53:13

I think heavy mods kills control in only some cases- if you start w/ a heavy mod and move to a lighter mod, that could be harmful. If you start with a lighter mod, and you move to a heavier mod, that I don't think is damaging. But! if you start w/ a heavy mod and go to a heavier mod, I don't think it's damaging, either. I've always thought of mod-changing as a way of porportionalism. For example, if you spin a Waterfall mod at first, your hands get used to a waterfall. However, when you switch to a buster your hands are still used to being a Waterfall hands. Even though the mod is suddenly a few times heavier, your hands are not suddenly a few times heavier. So tl:dr i think the switching of mods can make or break control =) (Just a thought. Hugs & kisses)

20. Zkhan
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 17:20:46

There have been so many threads on the same topic. It wouldn't be practical for me to even merge them all. If you would just search the forums and ask someone experienced, you'd probably get the answer you were looking for. Here's just one example http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=9535 These types of questions are becoming more and more redundant. I don't see how searching the forum and reading other spinners' responses to the same topic is difficult. /closed