UPSB v4

Research Department Feedback / Wiki Refurbishment Project

1. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 11:02:51

Hey guys, new research thread for a new year. This time it's not really about research into pen spinning as such, but more on the wiki, which has been massively out of date for a long period of time and really needs to be updated. Here are some of the problems with the wiki:

[*]Extreme inconsistency with pages in categories [*]Old or vague information on tricks and mods that is completely useless to anyone reading it today [*]Vanity pages created just for promoting spinners that have no link to any event mentioned in the entire wiki. An example of this is x3Silver making his own page: http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=X3silver and listing a bullshit "professional" career. [*]Old tricks are included that are confusing and require endless confusing questions to people on the UPSB forums [*]Tricks are horribly sorted and unarranged in anything other than alphabetical order, fundamentals and hybrids. [*]Tricks represent tricks of the time from 5 years ago, 2011, and only a small snapshot of that. [*]Famous spinners section is horribly out of date and varies, with Spinnerpeem not even counting in that list, for example, while Minwoo is. [*]The pages are written by 5 year olds without access toa spellchecker, the grammar is awful and it looks like it was horribly translated Engrish in some parts. I had corrected a large amount of such bad pages when I first attempted some edits back in 2011.
    @kam I would need wiki admin to delete off pages and refurbish the wiki, for example there were 2 jetpens pages in 2011, I do believe there are still two, and one will have to be deleted. Plus decrepid pages need to be cleaned out en masse.

2. LighT*
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 11:05:26

eurocracy wrote: Hey guys, new research thread for a new year. This time it's not really about research into pen spinning as such, but more on the wiki, which has been massively out of date for a long period of time and really needs to be updated. Here are some of the problems with the wiki:
      [*]Extreme inconsistency with pages in categories [*]Old or vague information on tricks and mods that is completely useless to anyone reading it today [*]Vanity pages created just for promoting spinners that have no link to any event mentioned in the entire wiki. An example of this is x3Silver making his own page: http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=X3silver and listing a bullshit "professional" career. [*]Old tricks are included that are confusing and require endless confusing questions to people on the UPSB forums [*]Tricks are horribly sorted and unarranged in anything other than alphabetical order, fundamentals and hybrids. [*]Tricks represent tricks of the time from 5 years ago, 2011, and only a small snapshot of that. [*]Famous spinners section is horribly out of date and varies, with Spinnerpeem not even counting in that list, for example, while Minwoo is. [*]The pages are written by 5 year olds without access toa spellchecker, the grammar is awful and it looks like it was horribly translated Engrish in some parts. I had corrected a large amount of such bad pages when I first attempted some edits back in 2011.
    @kam I would need wiki admin to delete off pages and refurbish the wiki, for example there were 2 jetpens pages in 2011, I do believe there are still two, and one will have to be deleted. Plus decrepid pages need to be cleaned out en masse.
    I agree with euro in every part. The wiki NEEDS to be updated.

3. x3silver
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 12:19:20

i like how u used my link .please dont use the word BULLSHIT. me no want start war . but dont be so anal about things like this/. like pointing out only my link. mai dog cb .

eurocracy wrote: Hey guys, new research thread for a new year. This time it's not really about research into pen spinning as such, but more on the wiki, which has been massively out of date for a long period of time and really needs to be updated. Here are some of the problems with the wiki:

4. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 12:36:10

x3silver wrote: i like how u used my link .please dont use the word BULLSHIT. me no want start war . but dont be so anal about things like this/. like pointing out only my link. mai dog cb .
    You are not a professional in an area unless you get paid for it. The people who get paid for it are those who win tournaments or are hired to do do work on TV, etc, such as Minwoo and Spinnerpeem, not you. You should not be making a page on the wiki just to publicize yourself, it is an information hub for the wider view on pen spinning, not every spinner that ever existed, because then it would require tens of thousands of entries. I will be pretty anal about this, it's this level of crap that ruins the quality of the wiki.

5. Voracity
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 13:32:43

eurocracy wrote: You are not a professional in an area unless you get paid for it. The people who get paid for it are those who win tournaments or are hired to do do work on TV, etc, such as Minwoo and Spinnerpeem, not you. You should not be making a page on the wiki just to publicize yourself, it is an information hub for the wider view on pen spinning, not every spinner that ever existed, because then it would require tens of thousands of entries. I will be pretty anal about this, it's this level of crap that ruins the quality of the wiki.
    How do you even know whether he is the one who created the wiki page LOL

6. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 14:09:38

Voracity wrote: How do you even know whether he is the one who created the wiki page LOL
    There is a tab on the page that shows all the edits chronologically and who made them.

7. Reason
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 14:17:45

yeah thats why i havent used the wiki in a long time. it would be great to see some corrected/new info on there. i can help in some ways too if you want.

8. Zelphus
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 14:41:00

I can help too

9. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 14:46:53

Zelphus wrote: I can help too
    Okay, but your mod page is going first. It doesn't have an image for the mod or the tutorial and the wiki isn't a place for random people's personal mods

10. Zelphus
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 14:59:14

I just want to publicize my mod

11. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 15:05:07

Zelphus wrote: I just want to publicize my mod
    get it approved first

12. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 15:09:25

Zelphus wrote: I just want to publicize my mod
    The wiki is not a place to advertise yourself or your mods.

13. Whirlpool
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 15:13:20

I don't see on the list ,but Pen Mods need to updated as well. Many mods are not there, that are on the approved list. I would love to help, but I don't really know to much of info. If you need someone to type something up on it with info given to me, I'd love to help.

14. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 15:33:12

Whirlpool wrote: I don't see on the list ,but Pen Mods need to updated as well. Many mods are not there, that are on the approved list. I would love to help, but I don't really know to much of info. If you need someone to type something up on it with info given to me, I'd love to help.
    If you would like to make some pages for mods, I would recommend copying the emboss mod page, it's really clean and ideal for a page on a pen mod.

15. Oow
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 16:20:01

@eurocracy Good to see that people still want to update the Wiki. I did some few pages for mods back in 2011 too, including the Emboss page you mentioned (don't know if I like the latest revision of it though). I did lose interest because there was no rules or anything to how things should look like. I did few revisions which just got reverted back for no reason. If there's needed, I could contribute too.

16. RPD
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 17:29:24

@eurocracy Ill try writing something about tricks when I have spare time. You know that I like notation a lot but I think that tricks are more important than that, generally speaking haha. Someone with knowledge in pen modding and collaboration areas could help a bit too :3 Also, we should talk with zombo about the technical side... Mostly about permissions. What are we allowed to do, if other people can troll us reverting all changes, if there's any backup when something is reverted, etc.

17. ChowCow
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 18:01:19

I'd be happy to help! I need something to do on my time. I just need to know how to help and what pages need re editing. I love notation and can fix my lazy notation. Also perhaps all the mods in the approved pen tutorial thread should on the wiki? They all have solid pictures or videos plus most of them are quite popular still.

18. RPD
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 19:20:39

@ChowCow i think that all mods in aproved tutorials + the ones penwish sells should be on the wiki. those are the most popular ones, at least in upsb ^^

19. Panda Hugs
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 19:22:12

I would love to help with the wiki. I am still a brand new newbie so I can see the importance the wiki has. Either helping with the wiki or not, I am still studying penspinning as i try to improve. Thiis a good opportunity for me to help others learn about it too.

20. LighT*
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 19:27:25

I would love to help update this wiki, ive been wanting to for a while now ^^. Ill put in the time and effort to make this wiki looking fresh again!

21. SiL
    Date: Sun, Feb 9 2014 22:51:01

i still cant excess wiki. lelwudk

22. Kemu
    Date: Mon, Feb 10 2014 01:53:36

I can help with this. i suggest that you add a section detailing what tricks are easily linked. for example, some thing like this... Twisted sonic easily links to: twisted sonic>pass12-23 twisted sonic>neo sonic twisted sonic>index around would make it easier for beginners to make combos and help them decide what to learn next.

23. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Mon, Feb 10 2014 15:06:07

Kemu wrote: I can help with this. i suggest that you add a section detailing what tricks are easily linked. for example, some thing like this... Twisted sonic easily links to: twisted sonic>pass12-23 twisted sonic>neo sonic twisted sonic>index around would make it easier for beginners to make combos and help them decide what to learn next.
    You could make a beginner links/combos page if you like

24. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Feb 11 2014 00:31:21

I dont think it's possible to grant wiki specific permissions, sorry, because the wiki is tied to the forum accounts. if you need something specific done, ask a mod. other than that, the wiki is free for any member to edit or monitor.

25. Zkhan
    Date: Tue, Feb 11 2014 05:52:02

I'll be monitoring the wiki refurbishment and reviewing any of the latest edits. Just let me know if you need anything done.

26. Zen
    Date: Tue, Feb 11 2014 20:36:22

I would also like to help, i have made a few wiki edits in the past. However, i believe that the quality of my work is not up to par. If someone would be kind enough to make a tutorial on the wiki or even here i am sure more people would be interested in doing a project like this. @eurocracy would you mind showing me in a pm or video, on how to improve the quality of wiki posts? Like how to add pictures, videos, and such. Thanks Zen

27. ChowCow
    Date: Fri, Feb 14 2014 01:55:08

I've made a thread is it good enough? is my grammar bad? is the tutorial not needed in any way? http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=G2-CTE_Evolved

28. Zelphus
    Date: Fri, Feb 14 2014 06:12:55

It's nice,but one of the pictures is not shown.

29. ChowCow
    Date: Fri, Feb 14 2014 06:42:40

They're all there for me... hmmm idk ill fix it here have another thread http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=SuperBic_Mod also according to the wiki the current events are the wc12 and upsbt12 yeaaaaaaah no...that needs to be fixed

30. Oow
    Date: Fri, Feb 14 2014 21:18:07

@ChowCow Very good for your first time! Don't have so much time to edit your pages, but a few things: 1) If we gonna keep everything as similar as possible, I think you should copy the colors from the Emboss Page. Green for materials, and alternating Blue/Orange for the tutorial. Not a big deal, but I think most other pages are also like that, including another one of Guitrum's mods, Guitrum's G3 Mod. 2) Don't know how anyone else feels about this, but personally I don't think the credits to the editor at the end fits in the Wiki. I think the Wiki is supposed to contain objective information and all that, but feel free to disagree. If you do want to get acknowledgment for editing the Wiki, it's still in the edit history for all to see. Some few grammar mistakes here and there, but very good work so far! =)

31. ChowCow
    Date: Sat, Feb 15 2014 00:40:01

OK edits have been taken into consideration and have been made. sorry old middle school essay habits of showing source and author here have another thread http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=CK_Silver_Mod

32. Oow
    Date: Sat, Feb 15 2014 12:37:28

Did some edits to the CK Silver Mod. Anything you disagree with, feel free to discuss. Still think the last part of the guide is a little bit overwhelming with text, but I don't know what I can do with it. And also, quality over quantity! I know you like to make a lot of pages, ChowCow, but better to make them quality work now, than make a lot of different pages and come back and edit all of them one more time

33. Rudra
    Date: Wed, Feb 19 2014 02:25:25

I will contribute to editing the wiki. Lots of useless stuff on there and some much needed things.

34. nv16
    Date: Mon, Jun 9 2014 13:03:00

I'm gonna try and help with getting the wiki up to date. I just got done adding most of what's on the introduction to pen spinning page, I feel like its a bit lacking tho, not as lacking as when it just said coming soon with some vids like it had for nearly a year :P

35. Zen
    Date: Mon, Jun 9 2014 16:17:39

nv16 wrote: I'm gonna try and help with getting the wiki up to date. I just got done adding most of what's on the introduction to pen spinning page, I feel like its a bit lacking tho, not as lacking as when it just said coming soon with some vids like it had for nearly a year :P
    Good Job! Oh and sorry for deleting your Under construction message. I was working on it and adding some stuff. If you were offended i apologize!

36. nv16
    Date: Mon, Jun 9 2014 22:55:33

Zen wrote: Good Job! Oh and sorry for deleting your Under construction message. I was working on it and adding some stuff. If you were offended i apologize!
    Nah man it's fine it was gonna get deleted anyways, and thanks for adding the fundamental stuff it saved me a lot of time

37. RPD
    Date: Wed, Jun 11 2014 10:05:34

Nice work @Zen :D