UPSB v4

Off-topic / Dawngate

1. iColor
    Date: Mon, Feb 3 2014 07:44:41

https://www.waystonegames.com/ Anyone playing in the beta currently? If you want to play, use the code: TWITCHDG4

2. Timbo
    Date: Mon, Feb 3 2014 08:41:04

Just watched the video so I'm by no means an expert but... There's not really anything new here. The comparisons to league of legends are obvious for any new MOBA, but this one takes it to a whole new level. Even the aesthetic is exactly the same as LoL. The only fundamentally new thing I see here is the spirit wells in place of dragon/baaron but they don't look all that important. It might genuinely be a better more fine-tuned game (I doubt it though because contrary to people's belief, RIOT is actually really fucking smart) but I think it's too similar to ever catch on. I could be wrong and it could be a 'facebook overtaking myspace' situation but I doubt it. The MOBA business is huge and even taking 1% of that market would be good for the bank account so I can't blame these guys for giving it a shot. Disclaimer: I know that DOTA was the first MOBA and not LoL. I don't play LoL (I haven't for almost a year I guess).

3. iColor
    Date: Mon, Feb 3 2014 15:21:08

Surprisingly, the gameplay is really refreshing after playing a lot of LoL and DotA 2. The only thing lacking is some of the counterplay from the other two games. For example: lots of the heroes don't even use mana, some use energy/rage to empower their skills. Spirit wells add a nice element to the strategy (Should we cap the well, or is it possible we can grab a tower?) Each tower taken down buffs your creeps/minions, but they can respawn. The middle of the map lies the famous baron/roshan, which gives a baron-like buff when killed. Jungler has a much higher impact on the game however. The parallels from LoL can definitely be seen but, as a LoL player, I definitely feel like it's a unique MOBA with potential to grow big. Probably not quite as big as other MOBAs, but it has the potential to be a really fun game. They aim for a really action-packed short game, and it does have some places for strategy. Try it out!

4. Timbo
    Date: Mon, Feb 3 2014 16:18:52

Shorter game lengths would definitely be welcomed (by me, at least). I'm not sure if longer games are preferred in esports though (because longer games are more similar to traditional sports). It sounds a bit snow-ballier than LoL too so the chance of an exciting comeback seems less likely :(.

5. Soren
    Date: Mon, Feb 3 2014 18:44:45

Another moba. I've tried dota 2 and infinite crisis and there's quite a bit to learn. Took me around 3+ months to properly learn LoL. Not really bothered investing time into other mobas since I mainly play LoL.

6. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Wed, Feb 5 2014 15:56:29

I have a beta key, but I'll try it out once I convince my friends to play.