UPSB v4

General Discussion / UK journalist (and rookie spinner) with some questions

1. MPC
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 21:49:55

Hello everyone. I'm a British journalist and I'm starting a blog about little communities and subcultures on the web. I basically want to get to know why and how certain arts/games/lifestyles bring people together and to be able to explain them to people who don't 'get it'. I want to know how far every community extends beyond the main 'thing' that it's built around - is it just about comparing/competing/sharing, or is it more of a starting point for likeminded people coming together to hang out? Shoeman6 has already given me a great overview - if anyone what to weigh in with their opinions, I'd really like to hear it. (remember I'm on UK time though) mpc. *a bit about me as a spinner - I learned the thumbaround from a friend in school when I was about 15 and had been doing it incessantly ever since. Then a few months ago I discovered the YouTube tutorials and I've been steadily building my repertoire since then. Still a major newbie though.

2. Shiftyei
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 22:27:31

The excellent thing about being with this group of people is the ability to learn from others

3. Zen
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 22:56:53

Well to be honest I am suprised you came here. UPSB is great though, the people here are also great. This most likely a haven for us where we can talk, compete and also share. We all mostly one thing in common the fact that we can spin a pen. This binds us together. We have battles and things like world cup and world tournament where people from all over the world compete for the title of best spinner. So yes there is a sense of competition. But this is not all. One of the main things we do is share. We post mods, combos, and other random stuff. This is a great community and it is growing everyday. It would be nice if it was properly acknowledged in the world. Instead of the usual "What is that pen-twirling crap youre doing with your fingers?" ^^ Regards Zen

4. LighT*
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:09:15

mpc2014 wrote: Hello everyone. I'm a British journalist and I'm starting a blog about little communities and subcultures on the web. I basically want to get to know why and how certain arts/games/lifestyles bring people together and to be able to explain them to people who don't 'get it'. I want to know how far every community extends beyond the main 'thing' that it's built around - is it just about comparing/competing/sharing, or is it more of a starting point for likeminded people coming together to hang out? Shoeman6 has already given me a great overview - if anyone what to weigh in with their opinions, I'd really like to hear it. (remember I'm on UK time though) mpc. *a bit about me as a spinner - I learned the thumbaround from a friend in school when I was about 15 and had been doing it incessantly ever since. Then a few months ago I discovered the YouTube tutorials and I've been steadily building my repertoire since then. Still a major newbie though.
    wow this is amazing! Im raiz and welcome to upsb! If you have any questions about anything please ask me! and dont hesitate to ask, it is what im here for. I hope you enjoy your time spinning and on upsb!

5. MPC
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:18:13

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Zen - why surprised? From browsing the forums, everyone in the community seems really nice and friendly. I don't think I've seen many forums where everyone is so pleasant to each other. I wonder what it is about spinning that makes for such a relaxed social circle. I'm still trying to figure out myself why I enjoy spinning. Everyone I work with just finds it annoying, so it's definitely not an ostentatious thing. It's interesting to wonder why such a gleeful sense of satisfaction comes from mastering a new trick, even when it has no practical use in the real world. What do you think? Are there any other Brits on here, btw? It's 11.15pm here now, but I'll be back on tomorrow. :) mpc

6. LighT*
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:37:54

mpc2014 wrote: Thanks for the quick replies guys. Zen - why surprised? From browsing the forums, everyone in the community seems really nice and friendly. I don't think I've seen many forums where everyone is so pleasant to each other. I wonder what it is about spinning that makes for such a relaxed social circle. I'm still trying to figure out myself why I enjoy spinning. Everyone I work with just finds it annoying, so it's definitely not an ostentatious thing. It's interesting to wonder why such a gleeful sense of satisfaction comes from mastering a new trick, even when it has no practical use in the real world. What do you think? Are there any other Brits on here, btw? It's 11.15pm here now, but I'll be back on tomorrow. :) mpc
    About why learning new tricks and even combos makes us happy and gives us joy, well, think about it this way, when you find something you love doing, and you get better at doing it, well, you get that feeling of happiness. Like, it does not have to be useful in the real world. People also like to learn new tricks and combos so they can get better at making their own and gaining their own style of penspinning. Overall, penspinning just makes us happy, its fun. And what makes it fun you might ask? Well, everyones awnser will be diffrent. I have a couple of awnsers: - I like to make simple things complex (You take an every day object, no one could think it could be used for anything other than writing, but then theres this. Its like other kinds of manipulations i.e. Cardistry/card magic, yoyo's, Speedcubing and the list goes on :) ). - You can make it you, what i mean is, you can create your own style and it just says YOU. - It looks cool! -there's other people to do it with. Thats what makes it so much more fun. Theres people that you can relate to, share your experiences with, get help from ect. We are just one big family. Its an amazing feeling :D! - And lol its just plain fun cant explain it :P But yeah, thats why Penspinning makes me happy to the bottom of my heart. Hope your penspinning journey is well, and again, if you have any questions what so ever please ask me :) BTW, can i get a link to your blog?

7. Tommy
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 00:53:45

Sup, the names tommy, make me famous

8. Gash
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 01:00:12

Well I once thought that perhaps pen spinners are mainly "nerds" or "geeks" (not trying to offend anyone), who else would spin pens lulz? Hence possibly the pleasant atmosphere?

9. Reason
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 01:48:52

mpc2014 wrote: Thanks for the quick replies guys. Zen - why surprised? From browsing the forums, everyone in the community seems really nice and friendly. I don't think I've seen many forums where everyone is so pleasant to each other. I wonder what it is about spinning that makes for such a relaxed social circle. I'm still trying to figure out myself why I enjoy spinning. Everyone I work with just finds it annoying, so it's definitely not an ostentatious thing. It's interesting to wonder why such a gleeful sense of satisfaction comes from mastering a new trick, even when it has no practical use in the real world. What do you think? Are there any other Brits on here, btw? It's 11.15pm here now, but I'll be back on tomorrow. :) mpc
    well i guess the majority of the time most of us are pretty easy going and dont take much seriously, but when a serious debate takes place you can be sure to see at least a little hostility. one thing that i think people on this board (especially newcomers) need to remember is that you need to practice and do your own work to get anywhere. you are expected to do your own work and research, but many people will help you where they can... just dont expect them to carry you the whole way. anyway, i know that some of the uk spinners here are eurocracy, juminuwo, kvanimation, supergirl (pretty sure he doesnt spin anymore)... thats all that i can remember. anyway they will probably know of brit spinners better. welcome to the board, ask questions, have fun, and please dont be a jerk ^_^

10. Zkhan
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 02:40:36

@mpc2014 Shoeman6 is a good colleague of mine and I’m sure he’s informed you well. I thank you for your interest in pen spinning as well as our community. I trust that you’ve visited our wiki page for any subtle references and basic details relevant to pen spinning that you may have encountered. http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page Also, our administrator has written a brief article on the fundamental attributes of pen spinning. I invite you read it for a better understanding of the elementary principles of the art form. http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Discourse_on_the_metaphysics_of_Pen_Spinning I’m more than happy to address the questions you posed.

I basically want to get to know why and how certain arts/games/lifestyles bring people together and to be able to explain them to people who don't 'get it'.
    To the average person, it makes absolutely no sense to invest time and effort in the artistic manipulation of a pen, pencil, or modified writing utensil in an aesthetically pleasing fashion. The general reactions to pen spinning usually include indifference, ridicule, or amazement. The ones who find pen spinning to be fascinating and appealing, may choose to learn more about it. For some, it’s the appreciation of the creativity and unique styles that attracts them. For others, the reason that they love pen spinning is simply that it looks cool. Pen spinning is very unique compared to other hobbies or pastimes such as cup stacking, juggling, cubing, or cardistry/flourishes. This is mainly due to the lack of commercial funding, social popularity, and the lack of media exposure (especially in the west). Additionally, pen spinners are normally scattered across the globe and don’t have a great opportunity to connect with neighboring spinners in person. This social barrier is the main reason that pen spinning is deeply embedded in internet subculture. The advantage of instant communication allows for pen spinners around the world to share ideas, publicly showcase their spinning via video hosting platforms (i.e. Youtube), and collaborate with people all around the world. The internet brings us all together to form this microcosm of creative ideas and digital (and often actual) friendships.
    I want to know how far every community extends beyond the main 'thing' that it's built around - is it just about comparing/competing/sharing, or is it more of a starting point for likeminded people coming together to hang out?
    With every activity, there is most likely bound to be competition of sorts. We have a number of these which range from community, to country, to world contests. The largest competitions on earth are known as the Pen Spinning World Tournament (individual competition) and the Pen Spinning World Cup (group/community competition). However, engaging in competition and battles is not the sole ambition of spinners—they occur, but are not the focus of pen spinning. There are quite a few subcomponents of pen spinning. One major and vital aspect of PS is “modding” or pen modification. The construction or development of customized pens made from random stationary/writing utensils is important to the pen spinning scene. Although it is not necessary to create a pen modification to spin, custom mods allow us to execute certain tricks with relative ease. However, I believe it’s important to note that the ability to simply pick up any pen and spin it further emulates the beauty and uniqueness of pen spinning. Now, I would like to mention that not all pen spinners delve into the scene with the same intention and enthusiasm. As a spinner gains more knowledge about pen spinning and the subcomponents that are a part of it, he/she develops his own style, method of approach, and most importantly, knows his/her ambitions or goals. These aspirations and goals obviously differ from person to person. What I believe truly brings us together is purely the activity itself. Through internet communications, we are able to setup in-person gatherings with other spinners. With this, there is the introduction of human interaction as well as digital exchanges online. We embrace all forms of communication to share ideas. However, as I mentioned earlier, because of the nature of pen spinning and the scattered localization of spinners all around the world, it is not easy to collaborate and organize large scale projects. We are currently seeking corporate sponsorship to promote pen spinning through their business. Eventually, we may have the funds and industry backing to organize international gatherings and competitions as the Japanese Pen Spinning Association has done in the past. The Universal Pen Spinning Board is only one of many communities that share the love and appreciation of pen spinning. We all have different views and ideologies when it comes to the debates over many concepts in pen spinning. However, in the end, most of us have the best intentions to further the progression of pen spinning. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I hope I answered some of your questions. If you would like to know anything else, UPSB members and staffers are here to help. If you do happen to do a report on pen spinning, be sure to post it here for us to see. We always welcome press coverage.

11. MPC
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 07:27:25

This is great - I only posted 9 hours ago and already so many good responses. Zkhan - thanks so much for taking to time to go into such detail. This is hugely helpful. Reason - Glad to hear there are other Europeans here, I must ask them how they get their hands on decent mods without paying a ton for shipping. Thanks. Gash - I am very much a geek and proud of it. :) Tommy - I fear I'm not quite far enough up the journalistic tree yet to be able to grant fame and fortune to whomever I choose. But when I am, I'm sure I'll still be spinning a pen. Raiz - The blog doesn't exist yet (this is me building ammunition for my first few entires) but I can certainly show you some of my work. I tend to be drawn to any groups of people that are misunderstood or ignored. I've written for LGBT media a lot, despite not being LGBT myself, because it tends to lead to those kinds of assignments (also, it's an entire branch of the media that many of my competitors simply overlook). The links below are a couple of examples of the features I like to do. Both topics are more weighty that pen-spinning, of course, but the principle is the same - it's about getting to know people who are often judged by the people who really haven't bothered to get to know them. http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/la-radio-host-who-came-out-intersex-and-why-no-one-gossiped180713 http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/how-do-you-defeat-anti-gay-trolls-youtube-star-explains-how-he-coped280813 I also do features for trade mags and local lifestyle mags. I enjoy it, but ultimately when you're a freelancer you are always writing it how the editor wants it. With my own blog, I'll get to write what and how I like, which is also a good way for potential commissioning editors to get to know me. mpc

12. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 11:48:09

UK represent! There's the more competitive guys as well who are all about trying to get into tournaments and reach the highest level they can achieve, and researchers who are trying to push our current limitations and come up with new content for the pen spinning world.

13. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 13:57:02

It's good to see you on the forums, hope you enjoy your stay. :)

14. Walkaz
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 14:45:12

eurocracy wrote: UK represent! There's the more competitive guys as well who are all about trying to get into tournaments and reach the highest level they can achieve, and researchers who are trying to push our current limitations and come up with new content for the pen spinning world.
    and there are also people who focus a lot of style, people who just spin as a mean to stay on the community, people who spin so that they can make collaboration videos ( editors ) and people who doesnt mind repeating stuffs from 3 years ago

15. wataspin
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 10:52:10

@mpc.. i want to be a journalist too.. you're awesome in your sentence construction and you'll be an awesome spinner too.. you're wicked-awesome!

16. Dakrowl
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 12:24:10

Sup, asian here, hi.

17. MPC
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 13:12:48

@Dakrowl - Sup you too. I just watched your video 'for jolly 1st cv' - that there's some smooth moves.

18. MPC
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 13:19:30

Okay, so I recorded a little video to say thanks to you guys. I thought it only fair that I embarrass myself on YouTube with my newbie spinning. All advice welcome. :) mpc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59R0Kc5z07c

19. Walkaz
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 16:48:23

@mpc2014 it takes time to develop a style haha, it ll come eventually so dont be too bothered about it

20. Zen
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 18:13:38

Hello Zen again I think the reason we spin is because, mostly what you stated. Your friends and coworkers really find no point in spinning a everyday pen. Your right, not very practical. However, I believe it is the sense of knowing. Your friends do not know and if they did wouldn't they surely acknowledge it? This is part of he reason we are friendly. We acknowledge the beauty and elegance of Pen Spinning. And then of course there is always a person who asks "how do you do that with your fingers?" This certainly brings both a tear and smile to a spinner. I saw your video and I must say not bad. Try combining the tricks into one big combo. Your handwriting is hella neat. Style though does take while form so don't be discourgaged. The reason of my suprise was because when I think of subcultures pen spinning does not come first in mind haha. Please excuse any mistakes with my grammer Regards Zen

21. Laugh
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 18:43:37

@mpc2014 My dad just got me the same mod you used in the video :D I missed the name of it... could you repeat that for me? I looked online all over but couldn't find it :P We also started at about the same time. Nice to meet you and welcome to my fellow noob :D

22. Zen
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 19:41:40

14 wrote: @mpc2014 My dad just got me the same mod you used in the video :D I missed the name of it... could you repeat that for me? I looked online all over but couldn't find it :P We also started at about the same time. Nice to meet you and welcome to my fellow noob :D
    I think he said zhigoa? Not sure. Yes he did say it. At about :45 seconds in the video. Regards Zen

23. Laugh
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 20:02:23

Zen wrote: Hello Zen again I think the reason we spin is because, mostly what you stated. Your friends and coworkers really find no point in spinning a everyday pen. Your right, not very practical. However, I believe it is the sense of knowing. Your friends do not know and if they did wouldn't they surely acknowledge it? This is part of he reason we are friendly. We acknowledge the beauty and elegance of Pen Spinning. And then of course there is always a person who asks "how do you do that with your fingers?" This certainly brings both a tear and smile to a spinner. I saw your video and I must say not bad. Try combining the tricks into one big combo. Your handwriting is hella neat. Style though does take while form so don't be discourgaged. The reason of my suprise was because when I think of subcultures pen spinning does not come first in mind haha. Please excuse any mistakes with my grammer Regards Zen
    Grammar is spelled with an "a" XD Thanks! I found the name of the mod :D

24. MPC
    Date: Sun, Dec 22 2013 00:40:33

Yeah it's a ZHIGAO 5028 V.7.0 - I got it on amazon. I like it, but I don't really have anything to compare it too. The UK seems to be a really bad place for pens - basically all of the mods I see on tutorial videos just aren't available in my country. :( Maybe @eurocracy can give me some tips on how to get hold of them. mpc

25. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Dec 22 2013 12:18:34

mpc2014 wrote: Yeah it's a ZHIGAO 5028 V.7.0 - I got it on amazon. I like it, but I don't really have anything to compare it too. The UK seems to be a really bad place for pens - basically all of the mods I see on tutorial videos just aren't available in my country. :( Maybe @eurocracy can give me some tips on how to get hold of them. mpc
    The best mod you can make in the UK ks the grip aviaire, which is basically two flexgrips connected in the middle by a pemcil with grips on the end. It's a good mod though and is famous for being used by the 4th place spinner Banz in the World Tournament 2007. If you want to get mods that you can see for example in my videos, you need to use www.penwish.com to order in ther parts Getting the parts is always cheaper than getting a premade mod, and the cheap mods like Metallic Comssa and RSVP MX can usually be gotten for less than $3.50 each in parts. The shipping costs are a little high, but the packages tend to arrive after about 4-8 days. You could also trade with me if you want to save on shipping and modding, I have a lot of mods and I'm pretty good at modding

26. fang
    Date: Sun, Dec 22 2013 13:34:07

I see you met Zkhan and Shoeman6 already! ^_^ Welcome on UPSB and feel free to ask anything. Also if you want to interview or anything, I am open to add on Skype. I am from the Netherlands so we have close time-zones.

27. MPC
    Date: Sun, Dec 22 2013 22:01:13

@fang - Nice to meet you, and thanks for being so welcoming. I'm happy for any of you guys to add me on Skype, my username is just mattphilcarver (creative, huh?). Yeah would be good to chat, for sure. :P mpc.

28. Zen
    Date: Mon, Dec 23 2013 00:07:18

I would be delighted to give you a mx but shipping cost internationaly deter me from doing so. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to give you one in the same country? If you really do want a mod I will give you one. Regards Zen

29. MPC
    Date: Mon, Dec 23 2013 22:44:23

Thanks Zen, that's really nice of you. Honestly though, I think I'd be flattering myself to say that I need a better pen. I'm not exactly doing advanced tricks atm (just started some very clumsy bakfall practice) and the Zhigao I have is certainly good enough for my skill level. :) mpc

30. fang
    Date: Mon, Dec 23 2013 23:40:37

mpc2014 wrote: Thanks Zen, that's really nice of you. Honestly though, I think I'd be flattering myself to say that I need a better pen. I'm not exactly doing advanced tricks atm (just started some very clumsy bakfall practice) and the Zhigao I have is certainly good enough for my skill level. :) mpc
    Besides that, it's not a bad idea to spin with a pencil. I recently got back into it, and I still think you can become a pro with it. A better pen doesn't mean you become a better spinner. A mod only gives you better momentum, but if you can spin with a pencil, you can spin with almost everything.

31. ShadowParadox
    Date: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:09:39

Wassup, I'm uk too. But wd19 seems too far off. Anyway nice to get more uk spinners. Try to inspire more uk spinners and then we revive the ukpsc. :-)

32. MPC
    Date: Tue, Dec 24 2013 16:56:49

Hey DarkNRG (lovin' that theoretical physics screen name btw). This is good, I've met 3 Brits on here so far. WD19 is southern Watford, no? Can't say I've ever been there, but I do always remember watford football club for having the most garish kit in premiership history. :P Nice to meet ya. :) mpc

33. MPC
    Date: Wed, Jan 1 2014 10:37:31

Hello again guys. There's one thing that I forgot to ask you all. Thanks so much for telling me all about the community and art of pen spinning - I would like to know though, when away from the community, what kind of person are you? Obviously I don't want to know anything super personal, but I'd like to know - what's your name, how old are you, what do you do for a living? I'm going to start writing up some blogs soon, and it would be nice to know these things. :) I hope you can help. and Happy New Year! mpc

34. Walkaz
    Date: Wed, Jan 1 2014 15:25:24

@mpc2014 An ( that s my name ) , 16, student, nerd, derp,.....

35. MPC
    Date: Wed, Jan 1 2014 19:16:25

Hah. Very concise, Walkaz, I like it. :) mpc

36. Laugh
    Date: Thu, Jan 2 2014 01:28:27

mpc2014 wrote: Hello again guys. There's one thing that I forgot to ask you all. Thanks so much for telling me all about the community and art of pen spinning - I would like to know though, when away from the community, what kind of person are you? Obviously I don't want to know anything super personal, but I'd like to know - what's your name, how old are you, what do you do for a living? I'm going to start writing up some blogs soon, and it would be nice to know these things. :) I hope you can help. and Happy New Year! mpc
    I'm Aileen, 15, student wanting to become a materials engineer, loves fandoms :P I have a question for you too: I used to want to be a journalist. What classes did you take in high school and college that led you to where you are now?

37. MPC
    Date: Thu, Jan 2 2014 17:57:28

@14 Hi Aileen. I think the education system is quite different in the UK. I did Media Studies and English in college (aged 16-18), Film Studies at University (18-21) and then a couple of years ago did a masters degree in Creative Writing (aged 24-26). It's an unusual route to take, but I should qualify this by saying that I am a freelancer, not a full time journo. Some months I make good money from it, other months not so much, so I always have to have another job. I only entered the industry last year though, so I'm still climbing the ladder. I expect there is much more money in materials engineering. :) So how did you get into pen spinning? (you can private message me if you prefer). mpc