UPSB v4

Off-topic / Python IDE

1. ChainBreak
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 11:09:24

Sup people, I'm looking for a python IDE to work with since the standart IDLE becomes gradually hindering to my work. What I'm programming is mostly implementation of mathmatial algorithms, simple data processing and the sorts. Any help is much appreciated. @webspider

2. webspider
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 12:52:54

Well, if it really needs to be an IDE there's Eclipse with the Pydev plugin. I found it personally too much of a bother. Integrating the Interpreter was blegh and speed and memory usage are horrible. A possible alternative would be Pycharm (grab the free edition and test it for me). If you need something between text editor and IDE, there's Geany. I've seen it in action at PyCologne and it looks just about right for a beginner who doesn't want to invest lots of time in learning its in-and-outs. However I recommend going the text editor route, despite the hacking necessary to have code completion, project navigation, documentation and so on. The thing is that with Python (and every other language with a decent REPL) most of the time you'll be switching between writing code and executing or testing in general very often. So the natural thing to do is having the text editor open in one window and a terminal in another window. If you're wondering which text editors are worthwhile, then don't worry, it's exactly two for us ninjas and pirates. I happen to have ranted about both of them some time ago. In case the default REPL doesn't feel powerful enough or you want to go the data analysis route, I recommend using ipython over vanilla python. It supports numerous things, including syntax highlighting and showing inline images of plots. The notebook feature makes it even better for showing off scientific work, I haven't tested it though.

3. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 15:29:31

Ok thanks (sun) I'll try VIM and EMACS during the christmas holidays.

4. Timbo
    Date: Sun, Dec 22 2013 10:21:26

Also been getting into python recently. Fuck the standard IDE thing. Been using VIM as per webspider's suggestion in another thread and it's really started to grow on me and I'm finding it pretty difficult to work without it.

5. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Dec 29 2013 22:49:08

just use vim or eclipse, less IDEs to work with the better.