UPSB v4

Off-topic / [HELP] Choosing between these 2 laptops

1. Yamaguchi
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 04:21:15

[SIZE="4"]This 4th gen with ULV that has a 1.8ghz clockspeed (turbo up to 2.7ghz)[/SIZE] [SIZE="4"]*ALL 4TH GENS = 1.8ghz because of the ULV () () () [/SIZE] [SIZE="4"]Or this 3rd gen one (Clockspeed: 2.5 GHz, Turbo Speed: 3.1 GHz,).[/SIZE] Benchmarks: ☻ - Intel Core i5-3337U @ 1.80GHz : http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3337U+%40+1.80GHz ☻ - Intel Core i5-2450M @ 2.50GHz : http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2450M+%40+2.50GHz Help me. :(

2. webspider
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 07:36:17

Call me skeptic, but will you notice the difference between both CPUs when doing everyday computing? If not, then reassess what exactly you're looking for in a laptop. I hope no gaming machine. Hint: What you will definitely notice is the portability and build quality of the machine. If it's clunky and has gruesome heat issues, chances are you won't like using it. Same goes for large and cheap feeling ones. Ye olde thinkpads show how a business laptop looks like.

3. Yamaguchi
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:12:48

webspider wrote: Call me skeptic, but will you notice the difference between both CPUs when doing everyday computing? If not, then reassess what exactly you're looking for in a laptop. I hope no gaming machine. Hint: What you will definitely notice is the portability and build quality of the machine. If it's clunky and has gruesome heat issues, chances are you won't like using it. Same goes for large and cheap feeling ones. Ye olde thinkpads show how a business laptop looks like.
    ill just use for coding, rendering, and some not-so-much high end games.. I only want asus

4. webspider
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:47:59

Coding: Depends on the type, but I am very fine with a C2D and a SSD. If I'd compile large projects regularly, I'd consider moving up to an i5, maybe an i7. Rendering: You'll want lots of RAM and a decent GPU. The one at the bottom does not even have its own RAM (the one at the top doesn't list a GPU in these specs). You must be out of your mind. To make rendering as fast as possible, you'll want a newer CPU. And a SSD to get the clips over as quickly as possible. Games: Once there's new games you'll want to play, you will feel very sorry about getting a fucking gaming laptop. That's all I can say. Overall: Don't do it if you're serious. A dedicated desktop is cheaper, better or both. If you're not serious, just let it be and only do coding. That doesn't need too fancy hardware, an used Thinkpad is fine. Asus only shines with its netbooks and the unportable machines maybe. You have been warned.

5. neXus
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:51:11

http://www.reddit.com/r/suggestalaptop

6. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 15:53:02

rendering get a desktop, neither will be powerful enough. otherwise get a haswell ulv, 9 hour battery and better performance all round. also, look at screen res, of the 2 shown id probably go with the i5 2410m just because 15.6 inch screens are too big imo. at least 1600x900 for 14 inch, and if 15.6 get 1080p youll be much happier. esp. with coding.

7. ChainBreak
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 21:46:34

I'm using an ideapad g500s with i5-2450M and gt720. It works pretty decent for uni stuff even with the rather slow ISE hardware developing tool. Also playing older games like Gothic 3 is no problem at all on high settings. It can feel a bit slow at times though if you use windows 8. I'm planning to dualboot with linux mint when I get the time to do it.

8. Yamaguchi
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 23:43:03

webspider wrote: Coding: Depends on the type, but I am very fine with a C2D and a SSD. If I'd compile large projects regularly, I'd consider moving up to an i5, maybe an i7. Rendering: You'll want lots of RAM and a decent GPU. The one at the bottom does not even have its own RAM (the one at the top doesn't list a GPU in these specs). You must be out of your mind. To make rendering as fast as possible, you'll want a newer CPU. And a SSD to get the clips over as quickly as possible. Games: Once there's new games you'll want to play, you will feel very sorry about getting a fucking gaming laptop. That's all I can say. Overall: Don't do it if you're serious. A dedicated desktop is cheaper, better or both. If you're not serious, just let it be and only do coding. That doesn't need too fancy hardware, an used Thinkpad is fine. Asus only shines with its netbooks and the unportable machines maybe. You have been warned.
    Ill expand the ram so dun wurry

9. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Dec 16 2013 21:04:09

go with 3rd gen, smaller die size means more energy-efficient

10. Soren
    Date: Tue, Dec 17 2013 12:21:53

Are you dead set on choosing one of those two laptops? Because if you aren't, if you tell me your budget and main uses, I can probably find a better laptop. Also, consider a desktop, they are way superior.