UPSB v4

Collaboration Videos / UPSB 3rd

1. Zkhan
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 02:24:20

[video=youtube;VMd7p9Sx5V8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMd7p9Sx5V8[/video] Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?ud7ja2ho2l0t10h Thanks to all the participants, we were able to create our community's latest collaboration video. Also, show some love for @Zombo , we wouldn't be one of the largest pen spinning forums on the web. Our friendship and individual skills continue to keep this community alive. On behalf of the UPSB staff, we thank you for your membership. Please share on your native board!

2. DioBrando
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 03:36:00

sugoi

3. Enkronidus
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 03:41:46

i.suk's. Wish I could do transfers like that. Dayumm. :o About the editing, I'm in doubt why this theme has to be used in specific. Like, the whole thing should have been all original, not borrowing the franchise theme that has already existed for long time. It's okay to do so for misc. collabs, but for collabs with big name, it's better if you create a new identity. Ya know what I'm saying? Overall, in my opinion, theme is kind of odd and questioning. The good side is the creative use of materials, I really liked some ideas. Also, another thing is that some clips are laggy as hell. :c Not sure what's wrong with that. Amazing to see how everyone has evolved. I think everyone was really amazing. i.suk was my personal fav. Gj guys

4. Walkaz
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 04:46:45

Combos : Awesome combos, I love them!! Edit : *Warning, long rant ahead* Music: I absolutely hated the edit ( sorry fang ). The music is redundant, doesn't make sense to the cv ( apart from the fact that it matches the theme) . An obvious mistake would be at Baaron's combo, where the music nearly stopped and he keep on spinning. I feel that, if the combos doesn't match the music in any sense, why must the music be used then? Theme: Unoriginal. Combo placement,coloring,... doesn't compliment the theme at all. https://www.dropbox.com/s/of0lxnni2fj2abe/rant.png An example of a CV that has its combos matched the theme is Superhero - PPP Spinfest entry : [video=youtube;qVC0Om3q77M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVC0Om3q77M&list=PL9817F8DA4F23AFDF&index=8[/video] Thus, in order to match the theme. the combos would have to be pixelated. This is absurd since it would be impossible to see the combos at all. Therefore, the theme itself is faulty and should be changed. Length : The CV was too lengthy, despite the fact that there aren't many combos in it. The fillers were unnecessary, and again, doesn't make sense to the CV at all. HBL's combo shouldn't be filtered imo. This is just my POV, please don't let it ruin our friendship D;

5. fang
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 07:36:27

Enkronidus;272640]i.suk's. Wish I could do transfers like that. Dayumm. :o About the editing, I'm in doubt why this theme has to be used in specific. Like, the whole thing should have been all original, not borrowing the franchise theme that has already existed for long time. It's okay to do so for misc. collabs, but for collabs with big name, it's better if you create a new identity. Ya know what I'm saying? Overall, in my opinion, theme is kind of odd and questioning. The good side is the creative use of materials, I really liked some ideas. [/QUOTE] Tbh, the Nitendo-part wasn't my doing. =.='' I totally agree with your point, it's something I really wanted to avoid. I even had my own version of the poster. [QUOTE=Enkronidus wrote: Also, another thing is that some clips are laggy as hell. :c Not sure what's wrong with that.
    It's the use of fps, I used for the collab (And most animated parts) 25 fps. Not all combo's where in that fps. That is why there are some lag in there. I was trying to fix that problem, but I haven't found a good solution for it yet.

6. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 07:40:38

So much filler editing, without much attention to the music. Also eriror that's one of your worst combos, wtf? Really short, links aren't on your usual level and you didn't have your control. Probably filter-worthy, even.

7. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 07:46:45

eurocracy wrote: So much filler editing, without much attention to the music. Also eriror that's one of your worst combos, wtf? Really short, links aren't on your usual level and you didn't have your control. Probably filter-worthy, even.
    Wow, it's like you didn't even look at the combo. Thanks man. :) That the ending is disappointing, sure. The rest? I have no idea what expectations flow around in your head.

8. Xienix
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 08:05:23

fang wrote: It's the use of fps, I used for the collab (And most animated parts) 25 fps. Not all combo's where in that fps. That is why there are some lag in there. I was trying to fix that problem, but I haven't found a good solution for it yet.
    try to take the video with the lowest fps and edit your project on the same fps :)

9. Kcom2002
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 08:09:16

Backaround the world's look pretty good now huh? ;) (jk)

10. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 11:48:01

UPSB 3rd???? :O The spinners were great but sorry, the vid is rather disappointing. especially because the first two UPSB collabs were so amazing and they were two of my favourite ps vids ever. i always hate it when combos arent full screen and the editing was waaay off btw holy fuck i.suk. i dont even

11. catfish
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 13:11:34

Aside from the music mess up during Baaron's combo, I honestly liked this collab... I kinda feel bad for fang here taking all of this criticism.. Cause honestly, penspinning is just something we do for pure fun, and i know that this is UPSB 3rd and it is a huge collab and all but i thought it was a pretty good collab. Sure I dont know much about editing but i enjoyed watching it and I personally thought the whole video game theme was kinda unique lol All of the combos were pretty much a good demonstration of what this board has to offer so I dont see why everyone is hating... So imma just end this by saying nice combos to everyone in this collab and good job fang for the edit :)

12. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 19:14:06

Erirornal Kraione wrote: Wow, it's like you didn't even look at the combo. Thanks man. :) That the ending is disappointing, sure. The rest? I have no idea what expectations flow around in your head.
    Your sarcasm aside, I'll prove what I said. Let me show you what we can observe: [SPOILER="Combo length and expectations for that length of combo"]
      [*]Combo of length 15 seconds only, short combo. [*]Short combos are usually preserved for showcasing the best links. This is because they are easier to perform due to reduced length if they do not contain better links. [*]Short combos should have better execution than longer ones, as they are typically easier to land compared to one of a longer length.
    [/SPOILER] [SPOILER="Combo Breakdown"]Tipped charge 0.5 34-34 -> Ringaround 34-34 -> PD Pass 34-13 -> Tipped Charge 0.5 13-13 -> Pass 13-34 -> RingMiddleAround Rev 0.5 34-12 ~ FL IndexAround rev 1.0 12-12 -> Pass 12-23 -> MiddleAround Rev 0.5 23-T2 -> Charge Rev 0.5 T2-T2 -> PD MiddleAround T2-23 -> PD Twisted Sonic Rev 23-34 -> MiddleAround 34-24 -> Pass 24-12 -> Twisted Sonic Rev 12-24 -> Devils Shadow 24-23 -> Middle around 0.5 23-12 -> Shadow Rev 12-12 -> Inv Rev Twisted Sonic 12-23 -> Middle around rev 23-12 0.5 ~ Shadow Rev 0.5 12-12 -> Inv Rev Twisted Sonic 23-34 -> Sonic Rev 23-34 ~ Charge Rev 1.0 13-13 -> Around 0.5 13-T3 -> Tipped Charge 0.5 T3-T3 -> Pass Rev T3-24 -> MiddleAround 0.5 24-13 -> Sonic Rev 13-23 0.5 ~ Twisted Sonic Rev 13-34 -> PD Pass 34-13 -> PD Inverse Sonic 0.5 13-12 -> FL MiddleRingAround 0.5 -> Pass 34-23 -> MiddleAround 0.75 23-23 ~ SS 23-23 0.5 ~ RingAround 0.25 -> Pass 34-23 -> Sonic rev 23-34 -> PD RingAround rev 34-T3 -> Pass Rev T3-24 -> MiddleAround Rev 24-23 -> Twisted Sonic 23-12 -> Hai Tua -> FL TA. 45 Tricks Executed. [/SPOILER] [SPOILER="Broad combo analysis"]Limited Tricks Analysis [COLOR="red"]Tipped charge 0.5 34-34 -> Ringaround 34-34 -> PD Pass 34-13 -> Tipped Charge 0.5 13-13 -> Pass 13-34 -> RingMiddleAround Rev 0.5 34-12 ~ FL IndexAround rev 1.0 12-12 -> Pass 12-23 -> MiddleAround Rev 0.5 23-T2 -> Charge Rev 0.5 T2-T2 -> PD MiddleAround T2-23 -> PD Twisted Sonic Rev 23-34 -> MiddleAround 34-24 -> Pass 24-12 -> Twisted Sonic Rev 12-24 ->[/COLOR] Devils Shadow 24-23 ->[COLOR="red"] Middle around 0.5 23-12 -> [/COLOR]Shadow Rev 12-12 -> [COLOR="red"]Inv Rev Twisted Sonic 12-23 -> Middle around rev 23-12 0.5 ~ [/COLOR]Shadow Rev 0.5 12-12 -> [COLOR="red"]Inv Rev Twisted Sonic 23-34 -> Sonic Rev 23-34 ~ Charge Rev 1.0 13-13 -> Around 0.5 13-T3 -> Tipped Charge 0.5 T3-T3 -> Pass Rev T3-24 -> MiddleAround 0.5 24-13 -> Sonic Rev 13-23 0.5 ~ Twisted Sonic Rev 13-34 -> PD Pass 34-13 -> PD Inverse Sonic 0.5 13-12 -> FL MiddleRingAround 0.5 -> Pass 34-23 -> MiddleAround 0.75 23-23 ~[/COLOR] SS 23-23 0.5 ~ [COLOR="red"]RingAround 0.25 -> Pass 34-23 -> Sonic rev 23-34 -> PD RingAround rev 34-T3 -> Pass Rev T3-24 -> MiddleAround Rev 24-23 -> Twisted Sonic 23-12[/COLOR] -> Hai Tua -> FL TA. Highlighted tricks in red demonstrate that the majority of this combo, that is to say 38/45 (~84%) of tricks are one of these four:
      [*]Around [*]Sonic [*]Charge [*]Pass
    With varying modifiers and slots. This indicates a gross lack of creativity and originality taken into consideration in the combo. Difficulty spacing analysis Tipped charge 0.5 34-34 -> Ringaround 34-34 -> [COLOR="red"]PD Pass 34-13[/COLOR] -> Tipped Charge 0.5 13-13 -> [COLOR="red"]Pass 13-34[/COLOR] -> RingMiddleAround Rev 0.5 34-12 ~ FL IndexAround rev 1.0 12-12 ->[COLOR="red"] Pass 12-23[/COLOR] -> MiddleAround Rev 0.5 23-T2 -> Charge Rev 0.5 T2-T2 -> PD MiddleAround T2-23 -> [COLOR="red"]PD Twisted Sonic Rev 23-34[/COLOR] -> MiddleAround 34-24 ->[COLOR="red"] Pass 24-12[/COLOR] -> [COLOR="red"]Twisted Sonic Rev 12-24[/COLOR] -> Devils Shadow 24-23 -> Middle around 0.5 23-12 -> Shadow Rev 12-12 -> [COLOR="red"]Inv Rev Twisted Sonic 12-23[/COLOR] -> Middle around rev 23-12 0.5 ~ Shadow Rev 0.5 12-12 -> [COLOR="red"]Inv Rev Twisted Sonic 23-34[/COLOR] -> Sonic Rev 23-34 ~ [COLOR="red"]Charge Rev 1.0 13-13 [/COLOR]-> Around 0.5 13-T3 -> Tipped Charge 0.5 T3-T3 -> [COLOR="red"]Pass Rev T3-24[/COLOR] -> MiddleAround 0.5 24-13 -> Sonic Rev 13-23 0.5 ~[COLOR="red"] Twisted Sonic Rev 13-34[/COLOR] -> [COLOR="red"]PD Pass 34-13[/COLOR] -> PD Inverse Sonic 0.5 13-12 -> FL MiddleRingAround 0.5 -> [COLOR="red"]Pass 34-23[/COLOR] -> MiddleAround 0.75 23-23 ~ SS 23-23 0.5 ~ RingAround 0.25 -> [COLOR="red"]Pass 34-23[/COLOR] -> Sonic rev 23-34 -> PD RingAround rev 34-T3 ->[COLOR="red"] Pass Rev T3-24[/COLOR] -> MiddleAround Rev 24-23 -> [COLOR="red"]Twisted Sonic 23-12[/COLOR] -> Hai Tua -> FL TA. Here I wanted to show the spacing between "Difficulty Reset" tricks. These tricks I have highlighted are the Charge 1.0, Pass and Twisted Sonic. These tricks are of such low difficulty level that they break the difficulty that chains together when performing linkages. Because of so many of them, the links do not last long enough between being 'reset' by one, so their difficulty cannot reach higher levels. [/SPOILER] [SPOILER="Combo Link/Execution Comments"]1) Tipped charge 0.5 34-34 -> Ringaround 34-34 -> PD Pass 34-13 -> Tipped Charge 0.5 13-13 -> Pass 13-34 -> Seems more filler than anything. 2)RingMiddleAround Rev 0.5 34-12 ~ FL IndexAround rev 1.0 12-12 -> Better, I do like how it's effectively a powerpass but skipping one around. Unfortunately it's caged by two passes that mean that its difficulty is isolated. 3)Pass 12-23 -> MiddleAround Rev 0.5 23-T2 -> Charge Rev 0.5 T2-T2 -> PD MiddleAround T2-23 -> PD Twisted Sonic Rev 23-34 -> MiddleAround 34-24 -> Pass Rev 24-12 -> Filler. 4)Twisted Sonic Rev 12-24 -> Devils Shadow 24-23 -> Middle around 0.5 23-12 -> [COLOR="red"]Shadow Rev 12-12 -> Inv Rev Twisted Sonic 12-23 ->[/COLOR] Honestly, these are simple shadows. 5) Middle around rev 23-12 0.5 ~ [COLOR="red"]Shadow Rev 0.5 12-12 -> Inv Rev Twisted Sonic 23-34 ->[/COLOR] Nice way to enter the shadow fingerlessly, though I've done this before and it's actually pretty easy. Highlighted in red is because you repeat the same motion of shadow rev -> Inv Rev Twisted sonic in the same slots. 6)Sonic Rev 23-34 ~ Charge Rev 1.0 13-13 -> Around 0.5 13-T3 -> Tipped Charge 0.5 T3-T3 -> Pass Rev T3-24 Really easy section and I didn't see how this added to the combo in any way. 7) MiddleAround 0.5 24-13 -> Sonic Rev 13-23 0.5 ~ Twisted Sonic Rev 13-34 -> PD Pass 34-13 -> PD Inverse Sonic 0.5 13-12 -> I liked the first middlearound variation with skipping catching it in 12 and instead catching it in 13, but you didn't follow on from that and just went back to plain, boring links, making its difficulty practically non-existent. 8)FL MiddleRingAround 0.5 -> Pass 34-23 -> MiddleAround 0.75 23-23 ~ SS 23-23 0.5 ~ RingAround 0.25 -> Probably the best link in the combo, unfortunately for you it's short and can be easily mistaken for simple powerpasses, as the MA~SS has the same amount of rotations as one and the skipped around can be easily missed. 9)Pass 34-23 -> Sonic rev 23-34 -> PD RingAround rev 34-T3 -> Pass Rev T3-24 -> MiddleAround Rev 24-23 -> Twisted Sonic 23-12 -> Filler before finish. 10)Hai Tua -> FL TA. Easy finish. Execution notes: Your speed varies and your charge motions aren't smooth. It looks like a very rough combo, like it was filmed in a short space of time or was a freestyle. Part of your hand or pen frequently go partially offcam or move around a fair bit, which when combined with the angle makes it difficult to see everything correctly. The way you catch your finisher is lacking a lot of confidence, you paused, as though you didn't think you were going to land it, so the hand change afterwards looks awkward. The finisher in this video is how to do it correctly, know exactly how and when your finisher will end and act accordingly, do not stall or you ruin your presentation. [/SPOILER] I did not make that claim lightly, seeing as you're one of the most renowned spinners on the board, I had done a lot of looking at it before making my decision. I've gone into a lot of detail, so I hope you can learn from the criticism.

13. Mystic
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 19:20:40

Way to over-analyze a cv combo there. Youre the only one who would ever meet your wild expectations.

14. LighT*
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 19:45:20

yo this was good :D @fang nice edits ^^

15. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 20:04:20

Mystic wrote: Way to over-analyze a cv combo there. Youre the only one who would ever meet your wild expectations.
    I put an analysis because it's not a battle, so just judging the thing wouldn't work. Over analysis? Complaining because of too much detail on it, for real? I doubt you even fucking read it, :gtfo: It's not hard to pay attention to what you're actually putting in the combo, especially if you plan it out and are not freestyling. Wild expectations? The only expectations I laid out were for short combos, :facepalm:

16. i.suk
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 20:44:57

this thread is full of lulz :xd: anyway it was a nice cv :D

17. ChainBreak
    Date: Sat, Nov 23 2013 00:45:58

It's funny how people complain when this is collab contains some of the highest level penspinning you can view at this era.

18. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Nov 23 2013 03:48:08

Great video guys, I like the editing a lot, creative idea! I never seen JackyMacky spin before so his combo was a nice surprise! Good job everyone!

19. Eshor
    Date: Sat, Nov 23 2013 11:37:07

Playstation One intro music on nintendo logo :3 Great collab, the music is nice and combos as well

20. Whirlpool
    Date: Sat, Nov 23 2013 17:41:44

Didn't get why people complained so much about the edit. I liked the editing, I also saw that it didn't take fang 1 hour to make the collab edits, but much more than that. I like that collab's editing and I don't think @fang deserves this much criticism. If you don't like, it is what it is. Look at the pen spinning. Good collab it had it's flaws but I liked it.

21. neoknux_009
    Date: Sun, Nov 24 2013 08:14:26

The good: -I like the idea and concept. I commend fang for his efforts with the animations...im not sure but it looked hard. -Good representation of the current state of upsb. Baaron was a surprise. ================================================================== The lets improve for next time: The color scheme was realistic, to look like a gameboy, however maybe it could have been black and white and it have looked a bit more professional, and still have a strong game vibe. The main issue i have here is the transitions between combos. Thumbs ups were kept in? It looks so awkward here. Sometimes it can look good but the way some are make it look like it wasnt professional if you know what i mean. Also some transitions didnt even exist, they were just blatent direct cuts. So it was just weird...? as others have said i disagree with the sony / nintendo thing. If anything, it should have had the text UPSB at least. Baarons "drop" was, while interesting when you know the backstory, in 3 years time looking back at this will we really remember that bit and laugh? Especially the newer spinners and observers. The will look at that cut and just feel awkward. A good music transition in this was Diobrandos. Could have been more filtering... I actually agree with Eurocracy here. While im not going to say it was bad from a technical perspective, i suck at breakdowns... From the view of presentation, it was difficult for me to appreciate. I admit my combo didnt have a perfect angle...but this combo could have used...a lot more vertical angle, thats my main issue. In hindsight, i realize Its because so much pressure is on Eriror to be the main signature spinners of this board that im saying this. So perhaps im bias and wanting too much... At least ek is still in it.

22. Zkhan
    Date: Sun, Nov 24 2013 10:44:47

Thanks for the kind comments and honest criticism guys. I know that the editing didn't live up to the concept/theme ideas we initially had. Zombo recommended that we have a retro/80s theme and suggested some music as well. The idea of having a video game motif was, at first, something we thought the community would love. So fang built upon that concept while I organized the lineups. I didn't have much control over the editing process as I trusted fang to produce a good collab. What was more important to me, was finding spinners who best represented UPSB and its current skill level. The absence of spinners due to their inability to film and/or lack of motivation made it very hard to produce a spectacular lineup. Spinners such as twine, hippo2626, miyat, and vicgotgame could not or would not participate for one reason or another. An invitation process, I thought, would be the best way to maximize the quality of spinning in the collab. Also, in order to give the community the opportunity to take part in UPSB 3rd, I opened up 2 wildcards spots for those who wish to take part in the collab but were not initially invited. Baaron was invited as a special guest as a reminder that he is still recognized for his great spinning and style given his history with this board. So far, most people seem content with the lineup and quality of spinning. However, there was a selective process and filtering did occur. Solid spinners such as HobbyLogics and Koza were not included in the collab as wildcards mainly because their presentation and appeal were not up to par. However, that's not to say their spinning in general is not good. Tigres and pixels were selected because they had the best combos out of all the wildcard submissions. I'd like to note that there weren't many entries to choose from. Also, I wanted to touch base with @Erirornal Kraione on the issues discussed earlier. Eriror's combo did not reflect his skill level nor did it stand out. Eriror was not able to film by the deadline, however we still decided to wait for him. The decision was made because we realized if Eriror was not featured in the collab, there would be mass discontent with the entire project. Eriror is UPSB's model spinner and symbol of our identity. To not include him would have been criminal. Thankfully, he did manage to get a combo in before fang finished editing. However, I see that there is no way to please everyone. If he did not film, everyone would be upset. Now that he did film, but did not produce a top tier combo, people are still upset. I feel resigned on the whole issue. I know most spinners are disgusted with the editing and music choice. I know this collab could have been better. I know this collab is not nearly as good as the other two. We wanted to create something that was different from the rest of the collabs out. We thought people would love the fact that we tried to be creative, but we were wrong. Perhaps people expected a flashy template edited collab with loud dubstep or DnB BGM. Who knows. I can say that we apologize for not creating a better collab. I dont know about fang, but I feel as if the collab tarnished UPSB's image even though I initially thought it was amazing. I don't even know if we'll make it into WC. We did what we could guys. Sorry.

23. neoknux_009
    Date: Sun, Nov 24 2013 13:33:07

Zkhan wrote: I can say that we apologize for not creating a better collab. I dont know about fang, but I feel as if the collab tarnished UPSB's image even though I initially thought it was amazing. I don't even know if we'll make it into WC. We did what we could guys. Sorry.
    Its not a failure. The video is just interesting. And stands out. (lol...I think thats a nice description my spinning in general) Thats why i noted what to improve on next time. I was going to suggest an alternative edit, fang still leading, still video game themed but with modifications, but i did not want to ask anymore voluntary work from him already. Im aware the collab was very difficult to create.

24. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Nov 24 2013 13:51:09

Nice CV. Creative. Keep up the work. :)!

25. fang
    Date: Sun, Nov 24 2013 22:17:31

neoknux_009 wrote: I was going to suggest an alternative edit, fang still leading, still video game themed but with modifications, but i did not want to ask anymore voluntary work from him already. Im aware the collab was very difficult to create.
    neXus suggested the same, based on the fact to learn from experience. The collab wasn't extremely difficult to make, it simply takes a lot of time. Each part took around 4-5 hour to make (from design to animate) , the collab was made out of 11 parts. It will take a few weeks before I got time again to edit, I am very busy with school. Let me take a good time at school. But making it before the deadline of the WC is impossible ([B]December 14th) [/B]. Side note: Don't be like: "lets feel sorry for fang, he put a lot of time into this collab" . I made the choices myself to make it like this. I knew this was a risk to make and I was extremely nervous when people started to say they where expecting a lot from it. It's a choice I did it like this. I could have made in 2 hours a flashy edit with a lot of templates on the internet and put some music on it and UPSB3rd is done, but no. I tried out something new. I expected the hate already before I finished editing. I only can learn from this, so thanks for your feedback guys. (@Enkronidus @Walkaz @neoknux_009 ) Double side note: If you are disliking the way I edit, then I have bad new for you. I won't change the way I do this. More collabs are going to be edit this way!~

26. Gland
    Date: Thu, Nov 13 2014 04:21:47

UPSB 4th maybe? ^