UPSB v4

Manipulative Arts / Calling all Violin Players!

1. Laugh
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 02:01:11

I hope this is in the right place :D I was just wondering how many of us play violin and what are you guys working on now?

2. Dern Goid
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 02:31:23

I used to play violin a couple of years ago, I stopped though... Last teacher I had completely took all my motivation away, he was a horrible teacher but a good violin player... what a shame.

3. fang
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 08:19:16

I am thinking starting to play it. My mother and sister where both good players.

4. padrace
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 12:00:16

I've played for 13 years. I'm working on kreisler's tambourin chinois right now.

5. ChowCow
    Date: Fri, Nov 22 2013 15:16:23

I play cello...so i guess it's close enough.

6. Laugh
    Date: Sat, Nov 23 2013 02:41:53

@ChowCow CELLO!! I want to learn :D What are you working on now?

7. Dern Goid
    Date: Sat, Nov 23 2013 03:55:26

@14 yeah, problem is I don't have the violin anymore xP

8. ChowCow
    Date: Sat, Nov 23 2013 05:51:15

right now? i'm working on vivaldi's g minor double concereto for fun, 2 cellos welcome to the jungle part one and where the streets have no name part one, and finally apocolyptica ruska, welcome home and nothing else matters i love the cello, lets just leave it at that no private lesson too it's nice beating the other people with lessons and getting first chair @14

9. Laugh
    Date: Mon, Nov 25 2013 03:51:40

@ChowCow oooh Vivaldi is difficult :D My friends in orchestra are working on the apocolyptica ruska! Must be fun :P If you can beat other people you must be pretty good O.o I'm co-concertmasters with my friend in orchestra but she's really so much better than I am. Do you name your instruments? Haha odd question I know.

10. ChowCow
    Date: Mon, Nov 25 2013 05:29:26

well I love my cello, it's not mine though, it's my brother...who quit and did health crap as his electives instead of orchestra and ditched the cello. So since it's not my cello I don't get the right to name it :/ if i would i name it gran cello or great cello @14

11. Giotto
    Date: Tue, Nov 26 2013 15:23:50

I mainly play guitar but i can also play a lil bit of violin. My sister is much better than me since it's her main instrument.

12. Laugh
    Date: Thu, Nov 28 2013 03:18:37

@Giotto okay that's cool i've always wanted to learn guitar... are you working on anything on violin or guitar right now?

13. Raos
    Date: Thu, Nov 28 2013 04:17:06

I have played Mendelssohn in eminor. I'm working on scottish fantasy, tchaikovsky concerto, caprice number 21 and 16 by paganini and as well as nocturne in c sharp minor by chopin. I also have chamber and orchestral stuff too. I do indeed have names for my violin, violin is called grace while the bow is called joy. Oh kinda working on the concertos I played before that I like bruch1st, butterfly lovers, Mozart in g, and Mendelssohn. Also the spring sonata.

14. Giotto
    Date: Thu, Nov 28 2013 16:25:12

@14 really? i can teach you some if you want to:) you like classical one or the one that you can sing along while playing? i was working on the songs i have to play in concert but the concert was canceled so.. yeah.. now gotta find something new to play:/

15. Laugh
    Date: Fri, Nov 29 2013 02:46:58

@Giotto that would be awesome! I don't have a guitar, though. I like classical and modern equally, and I like singing so that's cool. You play in concerts?! Actual concerts? Or school ones?

16. Raos
    Date: Sat, Nov 30 2013 00:47:48

@14 Yes I am in school orchestra, I am also in two orchestras outside of it. Double stops, practice one bar at a time. Work on your right arm for the movement, Hold each chord to make sure it rings and its in tune. Favourite movement of Mendelssohn? Second Movement.

17. Laugh
    Date: Sat, Nov 30 2013 20:18:26

@Raos dang three orchestras? That sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks I'll try that, but I'm getting pretty tired of that movement. Of course the second movement is everyone's favorite... I like the first movement, if someone else is playing it :P How long have you been playing?

18. Raos
    Date: Sun, Dec 1 2013 18:46:51

@14 10 years, almost 11. I actually quite enjoy the first movement too.

19. Giotto
    Date: Mon, Dec 2 2013 12:25:39

@14 more like school one since i play classical guitar so there's not many concert i could join and the last concert i join, i play electrical guitar lol classical guitar is really hard to fit in any band:/ if you like singing as well then the modern one might fit you better:) if you still want i could teach you some basic in case you might get your own guitar one day^_^

20. Doufu
    Date: Mon, Dec 2 2013 19:28:39

Been playing for 12 years. Stopped lessons at 9 years, but I still play in the school orchestra. (Concert Master :P)

21. Aldragon
    Date: Mon, Dec 2 2013 21:09:03

I play the viola :)

22. Laugh
    Date: Tue, Dec 3 2013 04:42:30

@Aldragon cool! My school orchestra only has three violas so you're practicing a practically lost art :P What are you playing now?

23. Giotto
    Date: Tue, Dec 3 2013 12:27:07

@14 that sound awesome! on classical guitar we play those classic songs like etude, romance de amor, allegretto etc.

24. Raos
    Date: Tue, Dec 3 2013 12:29:32

@14 Magic Flute is awesome. I also play the viola haha. One of my current pieces is Dvorak's Symphony and London Symphony. Speaking about magic flute, my school choir which I am in is doing Trial by Jury a short, sweet and funny opera.

25. Laugh
    Date: Wed, Dec 4 2013 04:05:33

@Raos yes it sounds wonderful in recordings XD No my orchestra is okay, but the beginning adagio messes me up, especially with triplet 36ths and my rhythm is crap :P And the rest of my section keeps missing this important rest and when they do my conductor always turns to glare at them. Teehee. Serves them right for not marking their music. I hate leading sectionals with them because they're all so annoying. OH MY GOD TRIAL BY JURY!!!!! Are you guys actually studying roles? Which role are you? I love the story of that opera :D

26. Giotto
    Date: Thu, Dec 5 2013 07:51:22

@14 yep^^ there're lots of famous composers for classical guitar such as Sor, Giuliani, Paganini etc. Cool, add me maybe? :)

27. Raos
    Date: Thu, Dec 5 2013 22:58:11

@14 I am the Usher. Don't have enough time to do the Counselor, Edwin or the Judge. Love this piece, it's quite funny. Wanted to be Judge though, awesome solo work there.

28. Laugh
    Date: Fri, Dec 6 2013 03:54:01

@Raos Haha cool. Yeah, the Judge is hilarious, especially with the ending :P I laughed for a long time... It's pretty awesome that you get to be in it though! How many music classes are you in?

29. Giotto
    Date: Fri, Dec 6 2013 14:40:59

@14 Nice one. haven't tried it though. might try it after exams and stuff. can you play it on violin? which number do you play?

30. Doufu
    Date: Fri, Dec 6 2013 16:42:56

@14 Thanks haha xD and I haven't really been playing anything outside of school for a while, I think the most recent thing I've played was Gypsy Airs by Sarasate. Our orchestra is currently playing Hoe Down by Aaron Copland and a I think a Suite from Haydn, but I forgot it's name. Nothing extremely hard I guess haha. :D

31. Aldragon
    Date: Fri, Dec 6 2013 22:11:17

@14 I still play the viola and I also play the piano. There are so many violas in our school....maybe like 30-40.

32. Laugh
    Date: Sat, Dec 7 2013 02:09:43

@Aldragon Okay I amend my statement to: Violas are a dying race at my school :P There are only two, on a good day XD I used play piano until I quit last year. I still can read bass clef and play though. What are you working on?

33. Aldragon
    Date: Sat, Dec 7 2013 02:15:10

Removed post :P

34. Aldragon
    Date: Sat, Dec 7 2013 02:16:36

@14 For piano im playing Toccata for a competition in February and for viola I have regions in January so I have to practice a piece, scale, etc.

35. Raos
    Date: Sat, Dec 7 2013 02:57:15

@14 I play the viola too haha. I play my teacher's viol for fun too lol. In school? One, for choir. I am also in chamber and jazz choir, they aren't courses though.

36. Giotto
    Date: Sat, Dec 7 2013 03:11:54

@14 lol it's really hard indeed but I'm sure you'll get it one day;) raos can play them? wow.. i also like practically all of the caprice. Aside from guitar and violin.. let's see.. hmm.. i can play a bit of piano, recorder, ukulele, drum, and some other thai instrument etc. I also sing but mostly only for myself xD my voice ain't that good. what about you?

37. Raos
    Date: Sat, Dec 7 2013 03:17:18

Oh coo. I also play a little of piano, guitar and drums. Trying to improve on them and as well learning the bass guitar. Trying to get a solo project going haha.

38. Laugh
    Date: Sun, Dec 8 2013 00:37:38

@Giotto DANG THAT'S A LOT OF INSTRUMENTS. I played the recorder briefly in third grade. And ukelele sounds AWESOME. I can sing but I don't like to sing for other people, and so I'm too chicken to audition for the school musical XD What kind of Thai instruments do you play?

39. Raos
    Date: Sun, Dec 8 2013 21:24:41

@14 We sing a variety of things.

40. Giotto
    Date: Mon, Dec 9 2013 02:47:48

@14 school musical huh? sound interesting. go for it! you can do it! i'm sure your voice ain't that bad;) just try it^_^ i can play angklung http://www.bubblews.com/news/1596358-angklung khim http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khim khlui phiang aw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khlui etc.

41. Nachoaddict
    Date: Mon, Dec 9 2013 20:28:10

Favorite pieces: Zigeunerweisen Romanza Andaluza Sibelius Violin Concerto (haven't played this one yet) Bruch Violin Concerto #1 Faure Sonata #1 for Violin and Piano Khachaturian Violin Concerto Decided not to bring my violin to university because I was afraid it might get damaged in the dorms or stolen and I miss it :(

42. Raos
    Date: Tue, Dec 10 2013 01:32:42

Nachoaddict wrote: Favorite pieces: Zigeunerweisen Romanza Andaluza Sibelius Violin Concerto (haven't played this one yet) Bruch Violin Concerto #1 Faure Sonata #1 for Violin and Piano Khachaturian Violin Concerto Decided not to bring my violin to university because I was afraid it might get damaged in the dorms or stolen and I miss it :(
    Nice choice of music you go there. I'm planning to get an electric violin and possibly a second, less expensive to one I have now, normal violin when I head to university. No love for Bruch's second concerto D: Loving Wieniawski's violin concerto no 2 in d minor right now, just restarted working on it a few days ago. Might be trying out the f sharp minor later.

43. Nachoaddict
    Date: Tue, Dec 10 2013 02:04:17

Raos wrote: Nice choice of music you go there. I'm planning to get an electric violin and possibly a second, less expensive to one I have now, normal violin when I head to university. No love for Bruch's second concerto D: Loving Wieniawski's violin concerto no 2 in d minor right now, just restarted working on it a few days ago. Might be trying out the f sharp minor later.
    I'll probably bring it when I move out of the dorms next year and live in an apartment. Berkeley is just so sketch that I'm afraid of robbery and such.

44. Laugh
    Date: Wed, Dec 11 2013 03:55:38

@Nachoaddict The Sibelius violin concerto sounds wonderful but also terrifyingly difficult XD Those were all good pieces you chose... I didn't really like the Bruch though. Awww I would miss my violin too if it was gone. Did you ever name it?

45. Giotto
    Date: Wed, Dec 11 2013 14:13:49

@14 lol xDD ok i get it. Anklung come in different size, as each size represent each note. the smallest one makes the highest note. http://www.pnk-elderlyclub.org/news-detail.php?id=44 as you can see, it requires lots of people to play a song. so basically everyone can play it if they have lots of people with them xD. yep, khim look quite similar to inside piano:) i would love to record it for you but unfortunately, i no longer have them with me so i don't have anything to play:'( but if you want to hear it, i could try digging it up for you;)

46. Nachoaddict
    Date: Wed, Dec 11 2013 22:49:27

14 wrote: Nachoaddict The Sibelius violin concerto sounds wonderful but also terrifyingly difficult XD Those were all good pieces you chose... I didn't really like the Bruch though. Awww I would miss my violin too if it was gone. Did you ever name it?
    Yeah hopefully I'll start working on it next year. I only played the first movement of the Bruch but the third is my favorite so I'll look into working on that too in addition to some work with a chamber music group of some sort. A professor I played for for a master class told me to do the whole name thing and talk to your violin but I never did haha.

47. Raos
    Date: Thu, Dec 12 2013 00:23:39

Nachoaddict wrote: Yeah hopefully I'll start working on it next year. I only played the first movement of the Bruch but the third is my favorite so I'll look into working on that too in addition to some work with a chamber music group of some sort. A professor I played for for a master class told me to do the whole name thing and talk to your violin but I never did haha.
    It seems everyone doesn't appreciated Burch's 1st 2nd movement :/ Scottish Fantasy though. (y)

48. Laugh
    Date: Mon, Dec 16 2013 03:42:05

@Raos I've not heard the Scottish Fantasy, though I've heard of it. Am I missing out? XD

49. Giotto
    Date: Mon, Dec 16 2013 15:04:26

@14 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk1uxr5fGIE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DU10Rf34t4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVthEid8wz4 I just thought i would be much easier to find in thai language:D

50. Raos
    Date: Tue, Dec 17 2013 00:48:22

@14 You are missing out. Have you heard of Symphonie Fantastique By Hector Berlioz? Awesome symphonie I got the chance to play in.

51. Nachoaddict
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 10:34:12

14 wrote: @Nachoaddict you should name your violin! I named mine Darcy because my violin teacher is convinced the violin's a guy. And also have you read Pride and Prejudice? Mr. Darcy XD Are you taking music classes at your university?
    I have not read Pride and Prejudice though I did read Crime and Punishment. I am not currently taking any music classes but I plan to enroll next year or join some sort of student group for it. Maybe just play for fun haha

52. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Thu, Dec 19 2013 23:36:49

Do you guys have any suggestions for a high school orchestra (brass/woodwind/strings)? My teacher is taking suggestions but I'm not familiar with this music genre

53. Laugh
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 03:44:35

@MightAsWellGG My orchestra just had a concert in which we played the Great Gate of Kiev (from Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky). It is my favorite because it is so grand :D listen to it and you'll see ;) but Mozart's Magic Flute was fun too.

54. Giotto
    Date: Fri, Dec 20 2013 14:00:13

@14 i really like oboe, the sound of it is really awesome:) i wish i could play oboe lol i saw it in anime/series, so cool! the instrument in second vid is angklung.

55. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Dec 22 2013 09:32:02

14 wrote: [MENTION=7772] I've not read Crime and Punishment. Is it interesting? Yeah chamber groups are fun :D But playing for fun is funner XD Are there private music teachers in college? I've heard yes and no so I'm not really clear on that.
    I liked it a lot and I wrote an essay about the uber man theory and it's prevalence in the text. There are private teachers but only if you are majoring in music (at least in mine). Otherwise your choices are fairly limited.

56. Laugh
    Date: Mon, Dec 23 2013 15:32:44

@Nachoaddict that's disappointing :( I hope you get the chance to play again soon :D

57. Giotto
    Date: Mon, Dec 23 2013 23:57:49

@14 ah flute is cool too! can you play it?

58. Raos
    Date: Tue, Dec 24 2013 02:08:45

@14 Why his Cannon? o.o Been listening to a lot of Liszt and Chopin lately. Doing hungarian rhapsody no 2 right now.

59. Laugh
    Date: Thu, Dec 26 2013 05:09:34

@Raos Pachebel's canon is quite possibly the most-played piece EVER. I guess it just sounds festive. Chopin is hard! Have you heard Fantasie-Impromptu? Some of the piano preludes are hard too. Hungarian dances are fun :) enjoy that! Happy holidays!!!

60. Giotto
    Date: Sat, Dec 28 2013 03:18:19

@14 why? They don't like flute??:( maybe you could use your money to buy it? Happy holiday!! ^_^

61. Laugh
    Date: Mon, Dec 30 2013 16:50:49

@Giotto no, I already have a violin and a piano and they don't want to get me another instrument that I won't be taking lessons for :( Yeah, I don't think my parents will be happy to know I spent my life savings buying a flute... I don't really like my parents :( But what are you working on right now? I'm on winter break if you want to get online and start some violin :D

62. Raos
    Date: Thu, Jan 2 2014 21:22:06

@14 I have. One of my orchestra just started a new piece called Night on Bald Mountain, it's amazing. We are doing Dance of the Knights as well, great stuff. You should check it out.

63. Giotto
    Date: Sat, Jan 4 2014 04:16:36

@14 Well.. that's the parents. i guess that's just the way they are. school really got me busy:( i would love to go online with you but my school's already started again:/ really sorry about that.. maybe next time?

64. Laugh
    Date: Tue, Jan 7 2014 16:17:59

@Giotto Yeah, today's my last day at home :( Next time maybe :D

65. Giotto
    Date: Wed, Jan 8 2014 14:46:43

@14 Oh:( that's sad. how's the weather there? is it still cold? it's kinda hot here:/ When is your next holiday?

66. Laugh
    Date: Thu, Jan 9 2014 04:17:48

@Giotto yeah when I got home today from school and work my brain was fried :P Ah the northern part of the Midwest of the US is an icebox; we didn't have school for two extra days because it was dangerously cold ( -40 degrees F). I love Wisconsin ^ ^ It's HOT?!? Hmm must be nice. All the water pipes at school burst and there's no heating :( My next break is Spring Break in April, exactly 95 days from today. When is your next holiday?

67. Giotto
    Date: Thu, Jan 9 2014 14:21:01

@14 School.. really knock us down. Wow that's cool (lol) it must be really cold isn't it? why is it dangerous? (pardon me for living in hot country:P) you like hot or cold weather? i see you live in Wisconsin. I've heard about it. In my thought, it look like a nice place to stay. yeah it's kinda hot here. winter here in Bangkok ain't that severe and don't last long:/ your school sound like a dangerous place to stay. how come all water pipes burst at the same time? my next break is around late February. it's a break before i start my last year in high school:( quite a distance between my holiday and yours:/

68. Raos
    Date: Fri, Jan 10 2014 02:51:24

@14 Yep. Umm have you guys done Don Quixote for orchestra? It's an unique piece. How about some Harry Joans by Kodaly or Finlandia by Sibelius? Pretty great independent pieces.

69. Laugh
    Date: Sat, Jan 11 2014 18:10:25

@Raos I have not played Don Quixote yet, but I have read the book... I'll suggest that. It sounds cool :D What about chamber music? My conductor is really stubborn about all of us learning a chamber piece. I'm playing with a cellist. Any suggestions?

70. Raos
    Date: Sun, Jan 12 2014 18:56:19

@14 What type of chamber music? Small ensemble? Maybe a better question which instruments. If you're talking about violin and cello duet/chamber pieces I suggest the Rondeau by Beethoven, double concertante (any) from Bohrer, Vivaldi's Sonata or the Grunberger. Hermann, Kummer, Perihou and Leonich or Ravel might be good options too.

71. Laugh
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 03:25:07

@Raos Yes, cello/violin duet and also duets for two violins. But not the Bach double... I've grown tired of that :P Have you heard of Solo and Ensemble?

72. Raos
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 03:43:51

@14 Yes I have.

73. Xinyuan
    Date: Tue, Jan 14 2014 13:45:26

I play a viola! LOL does that count

74. Laugh
    Date: Thu, Jan 16 2014 16:17:43

@Xinyuan sure, close enough :P what are you working on? How long have you been playing?

75. Xinyuan
    Date: Fri, Jan 17 2014 15:07:34

Oh I have been playing for only a year but was on the violin before for 7-8 years so yeah. I am currently on the entire bach cello suite (for viola duh) and schubert arpeggione. Sth like that.

76. Laugh
    Date: Sun, Jan 19 2014 21:09:57

Xinyuan wrote: Oh I have been playing for only a year but was on the violin before for 7-8 years so yeah. I am currently on the entire bach cello suite (for viola duh) and schubert arpeggione. Sth like that.
    Okay wow that's a long time. Why did you switch to viola? Are you in a school orchestra?

77. Raos
    Date: Wed, Feb 26 2014 03:55:18

@14 Saw Sarah Chang tonight. Got to meet her, had a nice conversation, took picture and got autographs XD

78. Laugh
    Date: Wed, Mar 5 2014 03:04:14

Raos wrote: @14 Saw Sarah Chang tonight. Got to meet her, had a nice conversation, took picture and got autographs XD
    Oh man wow that must've been AWESOME. What was on the program?

79. Raos
    Date: Fri, Mar 7 2014 15:20:52

Laugh wrote: Oh man wow that must've been AWESOME. What was on the program?
    Paganini's Cantabile, Berstein's West Suite, Vitali's Chaccone and Prokofiev's Sonata. I got introduced to her too. She's a really nice person.

80. M&MxD*
    Date: Thu, Sep 25 2014 03:34:55

i want to learn violin ... Y.Y

81. Laugh
    Date: Thu, Oct 9 2014 00:45:01

M&MxD* wrote: i want to learn violin ... Y.Y
    You should totally go for it then ^_^ got any teachers nearby?