UPSB v4

Regular Pen Discussion / 3D Printing and Pens

1. PenwisH
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 01:33:29

Just got done moving and taking care of a few things so back in the PS scene again. I'm really looking into 3d printing and the impact it can have on psing and creating customs pens. Based on the printer, plastics/various resins and even some softer perhaps rubbery materials can be used. Just throwing it out there. Creating any part we need quickly and efficiently may not be too far away~

2. Dern Goid
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 03:28:31

I see, that's a really good idea! We should definatly try something like this, the only problem would be, 3D printers are quite expensive... Anyways, I think its a nice idea, we don't have to rely on just premade pens, we could potenyially make our own materials. Nice idea PW :) [COLOR="blue"]-Dern Goid[/COLOR]

3. Zen
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 03:34:22

Hmmm pretty interesting. Have you tried it? Innovating concept. I for one would love to try, but I have no means to obtain one. Custom made pens, and grips. Finally a mean of obtaining those rare pens that are often sought out for. But at what cost? Does this break pen modding? What is it's potential? Should this be allowed? Just throwing in some discussion questions. Anyway good luck! Regards Zen

4. DArKT
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 03:43:32

Scanning and printing discontinued pens would be awesome.

5. Awesome
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 03:43:52

the biggest concern I would have would be the quality of the parts from 3D printing. Also the price would have to come down a lot.

6. Kemu
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 03:50:58

Awesome wrote: the biggest concern I would have would be the quality of the parts from 3D printing. Also the price would have to come down a lot.
    3d printing seems to be getting pretty accurate. there are predictions about printing phone parts or viruses that actually work. it that can happen, the pen accuracry and quality should be pretty good.

7. Awesome
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 03:54:11

Kemu wrote: 3d printing seems to be getting pretty accurate. there are predictions about printing phone parts or viruses that actually work. it that can happen, the pen accuracry and quality should be pretty good.
    yeah but things like "feel" are pretty important for a pen to be good. will the plastics have such good control of texture until the technology really develops?

8. Kemu
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 03:56:56

Awesome wrote: yeah but things like "feel" are pretty important for a pen to be good. will the plastics have such good control of texture until the technology really develops?
    from what i know, the texture and color of the printed object is saved with your files. im not sure if you can scan the textures directly into the printer or not, but if people play around with textures enough, someones going to find a pretty close match

9. Flakey
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 05:22:11

This is a good idea and I think it will definitely have a major affect on Pen Spinning in a good way. The only gripe I have about it is the cost and ruining the old tradition of Pen Modding. I'm also just concerned how strong and smooth the parts will be. Maybe my gripes will change in the years to come, we'll just have to wait to see what technology brings us. Just chucking this discussion in, will this ruin the Pen Spinning Market, or will it advance it?

10. Gash
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 05:23:37

Make your own Cypher mod. Sounds good to me.

11. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 13:10:52

About feel, after printing you can do smoothing and polishing to finish up your design. Also print dr grip tips for a fraction of the cost. Grips will always have to be bought, though?

12. RPD
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 18:19:29

@eurocracy "Also print dr grip tips for a fraction of the cost. Grips will always have to be bought, though? " I think that you cant print metal parts.

13. Mystic
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 18:36:58

I have had something 3-d printed once. It has been about 6-7 years though so im sure the quality has improved. The plastic i used didnt have good texture at all. Anyway, it would be amazing if someone could get a 3d printer and experiment a bit. It would certainly change modding! EDIT: they are far cheaper than they used to be! A really good one is just over $2,000! Thats still a lot, but that makes it highly possible to get our hands on one.

14. Reason
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 18:38:06

do a kickstarter for penwish?...

15. PenwisH
    Date: Tue, Oct 15 2013 20:15:40

No need for kick starter i'm more than willing to foot the bill for it. Just researching capabilities and materials right now.

16. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Oct 16 2013 07:36:09

RPD wrote: @eurocracy "Also print dr grip tips for a fraction of the cost. Grips will always have to be bought, though? " I think that you cant print metal parts.
    You can

17. i.suk
    Date: Wed, Oct 16 2013 11:11:33

RPD wrote: @eurocracy "Also print dr grip tips for a fraction of the cost. Grips will always have to be bought, though? " I think that you cant print metal parts.
    i thought so too, but then a simple google search reveals otherwise http://www.3dsystems.com/3d-printers/production/spro-125-direct-metal not sure if it'll be cheaper than mass buying dr grip from HK though (about $5 USD for one)....

18. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Oct 16 2013 12:41:52

@i.suk Also that company sells a $1299 3D printer O_O [video=youtube;Osu5MC2PtMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osu5MC2PtMI[/video]

19. Xienix
    Date: Wed, Oct 16 2013 14:11:25

....so what if you have a 3D printer, who's gonna make the 3D files?

20. Zen
    Date: Thu, Oct 17 2013 21:09:24

There needs to be 3D modders. Now heres and Idea, can you meld an insert into the body? I think it is possible. SHould be interesting, especially with the discontinued pens. We should start a kickstarter, just to chip in, i am sure people are more than willing to donate? I know i am, Regards Zen

21. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Oct 19 2013 10:35:29

You mean printing designs onto pens, or actually using coloured plastic so that it's permanent?

22. Zen
    Date: Sat, Nov 2 2013 19:28:11

eurocracy wrote: You mean printing designs onto pens, or actually using coloured plastic so that it's permanent?
    How about both? I mean it can be done right? The thing is it will cost more money, but........ Regards Zen

23. Dern Goid
    Date: Sat, Nov 2 2013 21:27:51

no, he means actually making the pens :D

24. SiL
    Date: Mon, Nov 4 2013 05:10:18

Its not gonna be cheap. I've actually tried out the cheapest one i cud find and it was totally crap. Printed out a cube and ended up using it as make-shift sand paper

25. ERICMAN367
    Date: Thu, Jun 12 2014 22:39:30

ive heard that the "ink" is really expensive, it could be cheaper to just buy the parts for now till the tech advances