UPSB v4

Tutorials Pending Approval / Carioca Double Barrel

1. tuningtoy
    Date: Fri, Jul 26 2013 11:30:11

Hello I want to share this mod part I've made inspired by the modrod barrels. It has the same diameter as a crayola supertip body and lots of length to play around with so I guess you could use it as a modrod barrel substitute or as the body part for the Dr. KT / Vicgotgame mod although I personally feel like it deserves a place of its own. Anyway this is what it looks like unmodified: [B]COG:[/B] COP [B]Style:[/B] rod? [B]Length:[/B] as long as 19cm. [B]Estimated Cost:[/B] ~$5 (that's the current price in Israel) [B]Pens & Materials needed:[/B] 2 carioca superwashable markers (brush nib version). 1 bic round stic pen. A strip of adhesive tape / teflon tape / sticker. super glue (optional). [SPOILER="Turorial"] [B]Step 1:[/B] Grab a carioca superwashable marker and strip it down leaving only the body. Then cut off as much as you want from the side which is closer to the nib like so: Repeat this step once again using another carioca superwashable. Try cutting off an even amount both times. [B]Step 2:[/B] Now unless you fired some sort of a high precision laser beam in order to make the cut you'll probably wanna use some kind of a sanding tool to make the cut smoother and even the length of the two barrels precisely. [B]Step 3:[/B] Take your bic round stic and cut off a 1.3cm piece (minimum). Notice how the piece is long enough so that when I place it in between the two barrels where the back plugs used to be it crosses the bumps on the inside: [B]Step 4:[/B] Wrap a 0.9cm wide strip of tape around the exact center of the bic stic piece. You should wrap it enough times to make it fit tightly in between the two barrels. I applied exactly 2 wraps around the piece using masking tape and it did the job great however these results may vary from one person to another since the tape's thickness could be different. [B]Step 5:[/B] Use a couple drops of super glue on the wrapped bic piece and finally stick it all together (if you choose to color the bic piece don't forget to do it before you add the super glue). Tip - Use spinning motions while connecting the two barrels so that the tape on the bic piece won't fold on itself and when everything's connected use the back side of a pencil or something similar to push the bic piece right to the center where the ends of the two barrels meet. [/SPOILER] [B]Pros[/B] [B][SIZE="4"]-[/SIZE][/B]It's perfectly symmetrical both inside and out. [B][SIZE="4"]-[/SIZE][/B]You can customize the length easily. [B][SIZE="4"]-[/SIZE][/B]unlike with most pen spinning mods with this one you can stuff many things inside all along the barrel which lets you control the overall spinning feeling widely. [B][SIZE="4"]-[/SIZE][/B]There's "extra" weight in the middle. [B][SIZE="4"]-[/SIZE][/B]There are cute little fishes printed on the barrels. [B]Cons[/B] [B][SIZE="4"]-[/SIZE][/B]The center of this "rod" is kind of tricky insert wise. [B][SIZE="4"]-[/SIZE][/B]There's "extra" weight in the middle. [SPOILER="Modification Example"] Now that you are done constructing this "rod" there are many ways in which you can modify it in order to make it more "pen spinning friendly". In this final section I would like to quickly share with you my first good in my opinion result of modifying this thing using the limited supplies I have already had in my possession. So first of all I shaved down the sides until I reached near the end of the inside grooves; inserted a 2 strip size anyball grip and on top of it I placed one hgg tip pointing in. Than I used the notorious half airfit grip + supertip tip on top. At this point the hgg tip shouldn't rattle inside but be rather in a tight spot between the anyball grip and the supertip tip. And finally after adding two main inserts in each side of the body, coloring the center piece and inserting tiny little inserts into the airfit grips' openings I got this: [/SPOILER] [B]Q/A:[/B] Q: I hated fish all my life, is there any way to remove the printed designs? A: Yes. Rubbing the barrels with some nail polish remover should solve the problem.

2. Mystic
    Date: Fri, Jul 26 2013 12:42:34

tuningtoy wrote: [B][SIZE="4"]-[/SIZE][/B]There are cute little fishes printed on the barrels.
    Why in the world is this in the "cons"?

3. Kcom2002
    Date: Fri, Jul 26 2013 12:51:59

I like fish.

4. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Jul 26 2013 14:45:39

First time I've seen someone put inserts on AF grips.

5. JackyMacky
    Date: Fri, Jul 26 2013 20:04:41

Construction is similar to vicgotgame mod; the mod uses a bic part to conjoin the bodies. The carioca bodies are clear so having an insert is pretty cool (similar to a modrod body). Is it possible to remove the designs on the carioca markers like using an eraser, paper method, acetone, etc?

6. tuningtoy
    Date: Fri, Jul 26 2013 22:17:22

Ok, so i tried now to remove the designs and these are the results: Using an eraser did not work nor did the paper method but with a nail polish remover i got the designs right off. I don't have any acetone lying around the house but i guess it should work too although it might also damage the barrels.

Mystic wrote: Why in the world is this in the "cons"?
    problem fixed. now it's only in the "pros". ^_^

7. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sat, Jul 27 2013 01:52:51

Alternative to the bland tape is to outsert the section that connects the two barrels :3 This is a method of lengthening that works on a lot of other mod bodies as well. Provides lots of customization for length, feel, and momentum.

8. DioBrando
    Date: Sat, Jul 27 2013 04:45:02

good but looks like shit

9. tuningtoy
    Date: Sat, Jul 27 2013 07:52:21

DioBrando wrote: good but looks like shit
    I think that's a rather ignorant thing to say considering the fact that it was made to be customized to look and feel any way you want it to. Here's another example, this time with the barrels designs removed:

10. tuningtoy
    Date: Sat, Jul 27 2013 12:35:16

JackyMacky wrote: Construction is similar to vicgotgame mod;
    I never saw the vicgotgame mod tutorial until just now (i always assumed it was for people with big hands)... So i guess people could use it for making transparent vicgotgame mods since it has the same diameter as a supertip, although i'm not sure if it would maintain a similar feeling to the original mod.

11. ItsNick
    Date: Sun, Aug 11 2013 17:26:36

Your skyblue is simply awesome! i cant even see the bic part O.o

12. tuningtoy
    Date: Sat, Oct 5 2013 15:25:04

Thought I would show my "Buster CYL" & "Dr. KT" versions: