UPSB v4

Manipulative Arts / Hacky Sack

1. walrus
    Date: Sun, Aug 29 2010 19:20:55

Awesome art of skill: Hacky Sack. Nice video i found of some guy doing it who calls himself "The King Of Foot Bag" [video=youtube;o-8tatHXJHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-8tatHXJHw[/video]

2. Tetsip
    Date: Sun, Aug 29 2010 20:31:19

Hi hairy legs.

3. Ice Cobra
    Date: Mon, Aug 30 2010 03:28:08

this d00d can really kick some sack.

4. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Aug 30 2010 03:55:09

No offense high skill level foot bag is really unappealing... =\

5. Simplex
    Date: Mon, Aug 30 2010 15:25:09

if you take the hack away footbag peeps look like they are mentally unstable :D i love it lol

6. Mike
    Date: Mon, Aug 30 2010 18:35:28

Did you guys know that there is a way to lace your shoes specifically for hacky sack?

7. Simplex
    Date: Tue, Aug 31 2010 12:24:03

yus footbag lacing

8. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Tue, Sep 7 2010 04:38:04

imo, if he threw in some juggling or contact juggling in there, I would find it awesome. cause that's what I'd do if I could consistently kick a sack like that.

9. kam
    Date: Thu, Oct 14 2010 22:04:56

Actually, "hacky sack" is the branded name of the original footbag. Hack Sack is to footbag just like Kleenex is to tissue paper. In footbag, there are three main divisions: consecutives, freestyle, and net. The traditional "hack" is very similar to consecutives, with the goal being kicking the bag as many times as possible without dropping. Footbag Net is played over a 5 foot net, much like voleyball, except you can only use your feet. Freestyle Footbag, however, is the more interesting one of the three (imo, anyways). It's a lot more complex and involves doing tricks in long strings (combos) much like pen spinning. I have been into Freestyle Footbag for 1.5 years now, and I gotta tell you...it's a lot harder than pen spinning. I'll do a quick comparison to PS here, then I'll answer questions about it if people are interested, but I'm not near pro level. Similarities: - you start by learn individual tricks, then string them together in combos (planned, or freestyle) - footbag players make their own footbags, just like pen spinners mod their own pens - shoes are specially modded for better performance (unless you buy one of the few available shoes made for footbag) - unless you're a girl and can get away with skin tight spandex pants, shorts are usually another requirement for harder tricks - it takes countless hours and repetition to master a trick, then more hours to use it in different combos - similar mental benefits (improves confidence, teaches perserverance, learning from own mistakes, promotes creativity, etc.) Differences - the initial cost to get started is higher than pen spinning ($70~100 for a good pair of shoes+insoles, plus ~$30 for a good footbag, opposed to $15~30 for a nice modded pen) - footbag in public is a lot more eye catching than pen spinning, and usually has more positive audience feedback (from personal experience, anyways) - more health benefits than pen spinning (great cardio, usually sweating within 5 minutes of warming up. Build leg muscles you never knew existed. Even core and upper body muscles are worked as you try to keep yourself balanced in harder tricks.) - higher risk of injury (if you're not smooth, you could be pounding on the ground constantly, which can hurt your knees in the long run) - harder to get good fast (your body needs time to adapt to the demands of new moves, meaning you need to develop strength and stamina in your muscles before moving to harder tricks) - moves are ranked by a point system (which tells you how complex a move is and gives you a general idea of how difficult the move is) - the obvious...you're using more of your lower body than your hands :P @ShadrCom3t: most pro footbag players can juggle two bags with one foot. In fact, that's seen a lot in competitive routines, but I see that more as a gimmick because it's not as hard as some of the tricks that only involve one bag. And it's hard to do contact juggling with a footbag because it tends to stall in one place as opposed to roll. Also, anyone in the San Diego area (or who's coming to the Socal gathering later this year) that wants to try footbag, let me know. You don't really need a shoe to learn some basic tricks, and I have bags you can borrow (I also have a friend who has been making pro level footbags for almost 20 years).

10. Kari-Chan
    Date: Sat, Oct 16 2010 13:14:19

i saw green and i thought u were zumbo XP