UPSB v4

Off-topic / Making a plastic mold HELP

1. hoiboy
    Date: Wed, Jul 17 2013 21:36:55

I have a laptop that suffers from wireless connectivity issues. The general consensus is that the metal bottom cover is what is causing the signal to drop. What I want to do is make a plastic version of my laptop's bottom cover. However, I don't have any measurements or anything, so there's not much I can send to a plastic manafacturer / 3D printer. Does anyone know if I can just send in my laptop's bottom cover and have them mold an identical plastic cover? Also, does anyone have recommendations for companies or websites?

2. neXus
    Date: Wed, Jul 17 2013 22:05:15

Would it not be easier to buy a usb wireless adapter.

3. Mystic
    Date: Wed, Jul 17 2013 22:32:15

Yeah im sure it would be very pricey trying to do it that way. Have you tried searching online to see if someone's already made a plastic version for sale? I say that because i was searching for a plastic back cover for my iphone 4, and there are private retailers who make and sell various back covers. So why not for a laptop?

4. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Wed, Jul 17 2013 23:09:05

^There are many more models and brands of laptops for people to be making plastic alternative covers to metal covers. There are significantly fewer phones, and many of the popular ones come in multiple colors regardless. People have been producing multicolored casings for iPhone products for a while because its probably going to be easier and will appeal to more of an audience than there is an audience of a single type of laptop. That being said, there's an off chance that someone may have made a plastic back cover for your laptop. I think that buying a USB wifi adapter (or going wired) would be easier than hunting for a specific backing.

5. Zkhan
    Date: Thu, Jul 18 2013 04:48:29

hoiboy;265207]I have a laptop that suffers from wireless connectivity issues. The general consensus is that the metal bottom cover is what is causing the signal to drop. What I want to do is make a plastic version of my laptop's bottom cover. However, I don't have any measurements or anything, so there's not much I can send to a plastic manafacturer / 3D printer. Does anyone know if I can just send in my laptop's bottom cover and have them mold an identical plastic cover? Also, does anyone have recommendations for companies or websites?[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=neXus wrote: Would it not be easier to buy a usb wireless adapter.
    I had the same issue with my laptop @hoiboy I use a high gain usb wireless adapter. It's an annoyance at times, but the signal reception is good.