UPSB v4

Battlezone / Blitz Tournament Rules

1. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 02:21:42

Blitz Tournament This format is a cross between live tournaments, where pen spinners spin live for a fixed amount of time, and standard tournaments, where pen spinners have a long period of time (typically two weeks) to produce a short combo (under 30 seconds). The tournament employs the Swiss-system tournament structure, popular in card game tournaments (eg. Magic). This tournament structure is the most practical and flexible, able to accomodate any number of participants with ease. Furthermore, the matchups quickly converge to pair spinners of similar skill level together, which results in tight and exciting matches. Parameters The tournament contains the following parameters: Combo length: Use slightly shorter durations that regular tournaments: a maximum length of 25 seconds should be fine. Expect videos between 10-20 seconds. The combo length only includes the actual spinning time, starting from when the pen starts spinning to the moment it stops moving. Number of participants: Any number of participants is fine, altough an even number of participants is desirable. To control the duration of the tournament, the number of participants should be kept under 32 if possible. Number of rounds: The binary logarithm of the number of participants determines the number of rounds. For example, a tournament with 30 spinners will have 5 rounds, since 2^5 = 32. Round time limit: The time limit includes the time the spinner receives to film, render and upload their video. Because the render and upload processes can take some time, it is recommended at least 15 minutes is allocated to the spinners. Total tournament time: A tournament should finish under 3-4 hours in one sitting. Making a tournament any longer may make it difficult for spinners to stay available the whole time, although players may drop out at any time. Format The tournament runs for a fixed number of rounds. Each round runs as follows: 1. Matching: Spinners are sorted by the number of points they accumulated so far. Spinners with the same number of points are randomly matched against each other. Therefore, spinners are matched to other spinners of the similar strength. Note that two spinners cannot be matched against each other twice. If there is an odd number of spinners remaining in the field, the spinner with the current lowest score is awarded a bye, which counts as a victory. 2. Key Distribution: Each spinner is given a secret random number each round. This number MUST BE displayed at all time on the screen to prove the combo was filmed live. 3. Filming: Each spinner has a limited amount of time to film and upload their video to YouTube. A spinner can submit multiple times: only the latest entry is accepted. Any entries submitted after the cut-off time will not be accepted. If a spinner did not submit a video, s/he is considered to have forfeited the current match. 4. Judging: The video links are provided to the judges who evaluate each battle. A win provides 3 points to the winner, while a draw provides 1 point to both spinners. Detailed judging stats are kept for tiebreaking purposes (when declaring a winner at the end of the tournament). A spinner can decide to forfeit the current match or leave the tournament at any time by signaling to the tournament organizer. Spinners are allowed to stream during the tournament, but they must still provide a YouTube link. End of the tournament After the tournament is over, the winner is the spinner with the most points. Tiebreaker rules are: 1. Strength of schedule: combined score of opponents 2. Number of votes received 3. Average score

2. Zombo
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 02:25:01

we need some volunteers to participate in a test run. please state your availabilities as participant, judge or tournament organizer and what time and day.

3. Tigres
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 02:34:34

so the beginning date of this tournament is not decided yet? btw /in- participant available at:7/1-7/7(mayb, not sure) time zone 14:00-4:00 GMT [edit] sorry messed up the date

4. Quake
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 04:45:25

I actually really like the idea of this. It sounds exciting. I'll watch out for it!

5. coffeelucky
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 16:35:15

I'd love to be a participant or judge in a test run but I'm too busy in July, I'll have free time in August, not sure about the time but it's around 1-5pm GMT.

6. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 16:37:38

This would be nice, and not very stressful :P

7. fang
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 22:06:07

/in participant... I got all time within 2 weeks. ;) Then I don't even care if it is on midnight for me! ;)

eurocracy wrote: This would be nice, and not very stressful :P
    Not at all! ;)

8. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 22:15:38

Sounds great, it could be organized / moderated through a live radio stream and / or a live document on google docs or something. How long would judging time be and how many would be required for the optimal turn around time? (aka 5 minutes per video pair?, live updates on wins / losses on stream or document?) Seems like a lot of fun!

9. Raus8
    Date: Sun, Jun 23 2013 22:17:52

/in i can 3 of july from 4 weeks more

10. astronaut
    Date: Mon, Jun 24 2013 02:04:20

@Zombo I think you came up with this after we discussed a new style for the next UPSBT a few weeks ago. Blitz is common in Chess tournaments which was brought up at least once in that discussion I am not sure how it would work if there were only 20 people though. I don't think I can participate because as of now I don't have a youtube account, tripod, or a camera with more than 12 pixels :(. Is it possible for me to be a judge? Can you explain how be a judge? I have looked at the World Tournament rules so I know what to consider when judging:innocent:

11. Zombo
    Date: Mon, Jun 24 2013 02:59:03

5 minutes for a battle might be too much @astronaut, 20 ppl is more than enough, this kind of tournament works great even for low numbers. It's good even if we only have like 12 ppl. i think the lowest you can go is probably 10. this is only the rules thread so someone would need to organize by setting a date in a new thread specific to that tournament.