UPSB v4

Fundamental Tricks / [#DD-001] Thumbaround Normal (My Progress Log)

1. Daniel Dou
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 02:20:58

Hi guys, So I'm new here and new to pen spinning in general. :) I thought it would be a cool idea to do a log of my progress so I can keep track of how well I'm doing. It will also be cool to see a general note of how many tries it took me in general to learn a trick, so I can refer back. Might be useful for future generations too. :P I hope this isn't the wrong place to post this. :P So the first trick I want to add to my repertoire is the Thumbaround Normal, which I'll be starting with... [B]Daniel Dou Trick #1: Thumbaround Normal[/B] Current progress: 100 tries so far. Still haven't got it yet. I'll record my progress based on the number of tries rather than saying how many hours or days it took, because I think that'll give me a better feeling of where I'm at. I actually count the number of tries as I attempt to spin the pen. :P Wish me good luck...

2. Mystic
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 02:41:34

I appreciate the enthusiasm :) but i believe this should either go in "general discussion" or even "off topic". A mod should be able to move this to its appropriate location though! Its a good idea and I hope it helps you get better!

3. Daniel Dou
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 03:13:19

Thanks for the advice, Mystic. :) Hopefully a mod will drop by and help me move it.

4. Giotto
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 03:54:44

Wow.. 100 tries.. i've never count mine:P hope you get it soon:grin:

5. Akashi
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 04:20:31

Good luck :) I took like a week to learn thumbaround but once you get the hang of it, reverse thumbaround will be easy :)

6. Xienix
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 06:34:27

reminds me of the time i wanted to count how many drops i did everyday ....i stopped counting around the 200 drops :P anyways good luck :)

7. Daniel Dou
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 08:03:34

@ Giotto - Thanks a lot! :) @ MangoJuice - I see. I hope I find reverse easy too. @ Xienix - Thanks man! :) I find that counting the tries while practicing helps me focus a bit. Current progress: 400 tries so far. By the time I reached 200 tries, I found that I was able to spin the pen around my thumb quite well by pushing it with the middle finger. However, I was never able to catch it with my index finger. By the 300th time, somehow, I luckily managed to catch it once for the first time with the index finger after it spun around my thumb. :) Between 300 and 400, I caught it successfully another one time. This is pretty fun. I'll keep on going. I wonder how many more tries it'll take until I can do it without missing. :) I find that practicing while lying down on a carpet or mattress helps. Don't have to hear it banging against the table each time it drops, and it's easier to pick up.

8. astronaut
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 13:05:26

Maybe by counting you are expecting another fail and your hand will give you what you expected. Thumbaround reverse will be alot harder IMO and I recommend you to learn sonic beforehand. Also, recently some girl on my colorguard team learned thumbaround in under 10 drops! I told her this could be a sign that she will great at other tricks and eventually competing. She said she just wanted to learn the basics :gloomy:

9. Daniel Dou
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 19:24:45

Hmm... maybe so. :O But it seems to be giving me good progress so far, so I'll keep it going first for a little while and see how it goes. I see. I'll try it out and see what works easier for me. :) Thanks for the tips! Wow. Your teammate is amazing. Learning it in under 10 drops! :O Current Progress: 900 tries so far. Try #500 to 600 - 3 Successes Try #600 to 700 - 5 Successes Try #700 to 800 - 4 Successes Try #800 to 900 - 5 Successes I think I'm almost there. Update... Current Progress: 1500 tries so far.. I hope I'm doing this right... :P Wouldn't want to be practicing the wrong way. Update... Current Progress: 1700 tries, and I'm successful. I can do it with an almost 50% success rate now! Yeah! :) Turns out I could have learned it sooner. I was practicing the wrong way because of the position of my palm. After watching some more tutorials showing the hands at a different angle, I understood immediately. :( Going to keep practicing and make it perfect! I have noted all my mistakes in this post, so go here if you're having problems learning like me: http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=11&p=262632&viewfull=1#post262632

10. Walkaz
    Date: Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:38:39

do you get bored counting?

11. Akashi
    Date: Sat, Jun 29 2013 05:32:18

Great perseverance :)

12. Alex
    Date: Sun, Jun 30 2013 19:19:16

If I were to count how many tries it took me to get a trick I would have overloaded my brain :hah: