UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Filling Pens with Hot Glue / Other Materials

1. daedalusinfinity
    Date: Wed, Aug 25 2010 20:04:18

A few years ago, I made a rather sloppy mod with an RSVP filled with hot glue to increase the weight, but I've since lost it. Today I decided to try out the idea again with a Ballsign: Here's how it turned out. It's kinda interesting. I'm not sure if anyone else has attempted something like this before, but I might be wrong. Comments? Suggestions?

2. Kirby
    Date: Wed, Aug 25 2010 20:12:27

Well it's a decent idea other then 2 main problems. As you may know a lot of pens use paper inserts with designs on them in the clear barrels to make the mod look nicer. With the glue it would be hard to have an insert. The second problem is your glueing the body and thus making the body heavier. So then the middle would be heavy and the ends would be light. For a pen spinning mod you generally want the opposite so the pen has more momentum. I like the glue idea, but try filling the ballsign caps with glue instead of the body to make the ends heavier instead of the middle. I've had a similar idea but with silly putty in stead of glue.

3. KTrinh93
    Date: Wed, Aug 25 2010 21:18:59

@Kirby stol the words right outta my mouth. I tried this with a bictory (with glue) when i was a noob and found that i didnt have heavy enough tips to get an ideal weight distribution. however, if you find heavy tips (dr. grips/airfits) and want to stick them on a mod with a glued in barrel, go for it.

4. Iota
    Date: Wed, Aug 25 2010 21:36:50

This seems kinda pointless/ineffective as far as increasing weight goes. HOWEVER, It is quite effective in stopping rattling. For example, the minovate DC v1 is kinda infamous for it's rattling due to the ungutted super pirat (unless you're really lucky and get one that doesn't rattle). But, to fix this I simply cut off some of the ends of the tips of the plugs (enough to be able to have a hole to insert the hot glue into, but not enough to prevent the caps from staying on, and that's the reason that you can't just gut it normally in the first place), and filled it with some hot glue on both sides. No rattle at all now :D

5. Colin
    Date: Wed, Aug 25 2010 21:53:18

I got one that never rattled :p I never emptied it, only rubbed and cleaned it :] Anyways, rolling up an index card and placing it inside the barrel , i find, stabilizes the pen mod much more, like in a Bonky KT.

6. medacyber
    Date: Tue, Dec 7 2010 03:18:48

It sounds to me that itll be to heavy but if you like the idea try it again

7. Kirby
    Date: Tue, Dec 7 2010 03:34:46

Don't revive thread for no reason. ty.

8. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Dec 7 2010 03:38:44

Weight =/= Momentum/spinability, that's all I have to say, it's a common misconception but the weight distribution is more important than the actual magnitude of weight itself.

9. drgripable
    Date: Tue, Dec 21 2010 14:19:25

Actually once, i had this one mod i made with two velocity grips and stuck refrigerator magnets on the end of the grips, that way, it sometimes saved itself at school from falling, it could do some crazy tricks (not pen tricks) i can't explain on metal, and though it didnt add a lot of actual weight, it was a huge plus for momentum.