UPSB v4

Member Introductions / Hello USPB!!!

1. Barracks510
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 03:29:04

Hello UPSB!!! So, here's a few words to describe myself and who I am. Hopefully you won't be bored to death by the time you finish. [B]Who I am[/B] I'm an eighth grader at my local middle school in rural Los angeles. I'm a dedicated PC enthusiast and mathematician. Recently, I joined my local church orchestra, where I can share my pen spinning skills with a few fellow violin and pianoforte players. Dispite my love of knowlege, I never took school seriously, mainly because I find it a waste to learn (memorize) concepts that I never use in real life. (Convinietly, this means more time to practice pen spinning. ) By the way, I have a love of metal and carbon fibre. Remember that. It will help you when trying to read this tedious thread entry. [B]My pen spinning resume[/B] Well, I picked up pen spinning when a few friends began back in 2011. Never truly took an interest in it though, mainly because I couldn't do the charge, and everybody loved to remind me how important the charge is in pen spining. More recently, I figured out how to do the charge, and all the other basic fundamentals. I've begin to start learning those non-fundamental fundamentals and those combos of fundamentals and non-fundamental fundamentals. As of now, I spend most of my dedicated pen spinning time developing custom mods, and machining metal replacements for broken mods. I'm currently in the process of making a carbon fibre pen, which consists of brass, aluminum, PVC, and carbon fibre. [B]Conclusion[/B] I realize that your probably already asleep, but I'll just wrap this up. I look forward to being part of UPSB and learning the techniques and skills of your amazing pen spinning tricks. I also hope to share my mods and designs with the community. Thank you!

2. Alex
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 03:41:41

Well i guess i should start being nice to new people...AS LONG AS THEY DON'T POST THREADS THAT ALREADY EXIST. :welcome2: to upsb. Have a nice time and btw, you seem like you will be a great modder. I think that, you are going to stop pen spinning and only focus on modding

3. Ecnunn
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 04:02:51

carbon fibre and metal, sounds interesting. I would love to see one of ur mods one day. Also, welcome, and hope u enjoy the community :)

4. x3silver
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 05:10:07

welcome :)

5. Giotto
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 05:59:27

Welcome to upsb:welcome:

6. fang
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 06:25:24

Welcome and enjoy the board! ^_^

7. Apocalyptic Shadows
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 08:26:57

:welcome2:

8. webspider
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 11:22:11

Hi there. May I suggest to add some linebreaks? Besides, a mod consisting mostly of metal would feel weird and be way too heavy (there's a reason why people mostly use metal tips as parts, sometimes screws and clips). carbon fibre however might be an interesting (and expensive) alternative. Have you considered going the painting route when it comes to PVC? Or maybe even cutting custom body parts in different colors, then assemble them to one body? I'd love to see people exploring these aspects of modding, so far we've been fixed on using clear and opaque plastic barrels.

9. Alex
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 13:54:29

webspider wrote: Hi there. May I suggest to add some linebreaks? Besides, a mod consisting mostly of metal would feel weird and be way too heavy (there's a reason why people mostly use metal tips as parts, sometimes screws and clips). carbon fibre however might be an interesting (and expensive) alternative. Have you considered going the painting route when it comes to PVC? Or maybe even cutting custom body parts in different colors, then assemble them to one body? I'd love to see people exploring these aspects of modding, so far we've been fixed on using clear and opaque plastic barrels.
    Obviously you dont know...carbon fiber is a tough,yet surprisingly light as fuck there are these 800 pound cars that will barely get a scratch if they crash.(Cars usually weight tons) EDIT: Oh wait I quoted the wrong person...sorry

10. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 15:44:33

Alex wrote: Obviously you dont know...carbon fiber is a tough,yet surprisingly light as fuck there are these 800 pound cars that will barely get a scratch if they crash.(Cars usually weight tons) EDIT: Oh wait I quoted the wrong person...sorry
    I personally recommend NOT usung carbon Fibre or glass fibre for pens. They have a high tensile strength but are in fact brittle and will actually break if strong forces are applied, while plastic will bend slightly. The difference being a comssa barrel will bend slightly if you send it flying, a carbon fibre or glass fibre barrel will crack. It's to do with how the materials are formed, as it's a fibre material, the fibres can break one by one over time and show no change until it finally breaks, wheras with plastic you won't have such internal damage every drop. Think carbon fibre like a hyperjell cap on steroids, it will crack and eventually break as it propagates. Too many people think it's a wonder material, but in reality it only has tensile strength to weight ratio as it's bonus, which is good if you're holding something from the ceiling, but not so good if you're subjecting it to impact from all directions. You would want a material that is not brittle and is also elastic (I'm using the physics definitions of these words, by the way). Metal is too heavy and you may form dents in it if you drop it on an edge like your desk with enough force, you won't with plastic. Additionally it's a strong conductor of heat while plastic is more insulative, so it will feel uncomfortably cold as a barrel for spinning. You should also pay more attention in school, as thw way the grades work is to measure how well you can pick up and take in information, so how effective you'd be at jobs that require you to process such information. If you flunk school you will be very sorry in the end with an awful job.

11. LighT*
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 16:43:33

Barracks510 wrote: Hello UPSB!!! So, here's a few words to describe myself and who I am. Hopefully you won't be bored to death by the time you finish. [B]Who I am[/B] I'm an eighth grader at my local middle school in rural Los angeles. I'm a dedicated PC enthusiast and mathematician. Recently, I joined my local church orchestra, where I can share my pen spinning skills with a few fellow violin and pianoforte players. Dispite my love of knowlege, I never took school seriously, mainly because I find it a waste to learn (memorize) concepts that I never use in real life. (Convinietly, this means more time to practice pen spinning. ) By the way, I have a love of metal and carbon fibre. Remember that. It will help you when trying to read this tedious thread entry. [B]My pen spinning resume[/B] Well, I picked up pen spinning when a few friends began back in 2011. Never truly took an interest in it though, mainly because I couldn't do the charge, and everybody loved to remind me how important the charge is in pen spining. More recently, I figured out how to do the charge, and all the other basic fundamentals. I've begin to start learning those non-fundamental fundamentals and those combos of fundamentals and non-fundamental fundamentals. As of now, I spend most of my dedicated pen spinning time developing custom mods, and machining metal replacements for broken mods. I'm currently in the process of making a carbon fibre pen, which consists of brass, aluminum, PVC, and carbon fibre. [B]Conclusion[/B] I realize that your probably already asleep, but I'll just wrap this up. I look forward to being part of UPSB and learning the techniques and skills of your amazing pen spinning tricks. I also hope to share my mods and designs with the community. Thank you!
    You sound like a pretty cool guy ^^. Im raiz, WELCOME TO UPSB! If you have any quwestions with anything at an7ytime, please ask me and ill get back to you asap! Dont hesitate to ask anything, its what im here for :D. I really dop hope you enjoy UPSB and pen spinning as much as we do! And, i really want to see dem mods :D!

12. Tommy
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 21:53:40

I suggest i see you as a guy that say "ermagad gais i got carbon fibre pvc rod ima idustrial modder" Just my oppion, just get an actual mod -.- your not penspinning at all, your baton twirling, wrong board mate

13. Enkronidus
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 22:07:54

Welcome to United States Potato Board [USPB] :welcome: We hope to market you the best potatoes. xP Enjoy your stay.

14. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 22:43:14

Sounds cool :welcome:

15. Barracks510
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 23:00:18

Wow! I'm so surprised with the amount of feedback you guys are giving me. Thanks so much, and I'm going to try and reply to your comments. If I missed you, then I apologize in advance.
    To Alex: Thank you. Although I love modding more than it seems, I always loved the pen spinning part more that modding. I love pen spinning because of the feel of the pen traveling through your fingers and the joy and excitement that rushes to you when you finally master a trick, or a combo, or even a fundamental. Modding, on the other hand, takes much more devotion and time while being less rewarding in the end. Hopefully, I'll keep improving my spinning skills, but if I do give up on spinning, I can promise you great mods.
    To Ecnunn: Thank you. I have my carbon fibre one in development, and I'm sure you'll like it when you see it. I already enjoy the community, so don't worry.
    To x3silver, Glotto, fang, Apocalyptic Shadows: Thank you!
    To webspider: Sorry about the line breaks. Luckily, I found out UPSB supports HTML, so line breaks wont be a problem now. Anyways, I agree that a mostly metal mod would feel slightly weird, but I've tried to overcome this feeling by letting my "teachers", so to speak, try out my mods, before using them myself. This way, I eliminate quite a few problems that earlier metal mods had. Carbon fibre, is quite expensive. I love carbon fibre because of its texture. Not really much other benefit other than being light-weight and looking really nice. PVC is what your everyday pen is made from. I use this as a base when assembling to hide it's relatively unattractive texture while maintaining its physical properties. So, yeah, I will venture into new aspects of modding like you said. Hopefully, bring something new and unique to the pen spinning world.
    Thank you!
    To Eurocrasy: Thank you for your post! I use carbon fibre for none of the reasons the other people have said, but rather use it because of its texture (and I'll admit it has to do with it's appearance too). I have considered your ideas about flexibility and elasticity before. I found through experimentation that when you place PVC tubing underneath carbon fibre or aluminum, the pen retains its PVC characteristics more than those from the carbon fibre or aluminum. Sadly, brass is different.
    I disagree with your ideas on grades though. I have a 4.8 GPA, yet am terrible picking up new information. I think you GPA is reflective of how easy a teacher is, while capacity for learning is dependent on how interested you are on in the subject.
    Thanks for your input though. I appreciate it.

16. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 23:02:18

When you end up ruling the world or something make sure you remember UPSB and pen spinning kthxbye.

17. Ecnunn
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 23:13:22

@Barracks510:ur post is a little hard to read imo (no offense) w/ the html code thing. Might wanna use spoilers or something in future posts. :)

18. RPD
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 23:44:13

I already have two pvc mods and one aluminium mod. I was looking to get a carbon fiber mod but after eurocracy comment im rethinking it. Nice to see that more people are exploring this concepts. Some people say "lol thats not a pen" i say "lol not even yours, its not writable also". With that materials you can get a high customizable mod for ~5$ or even less, while the spinning is still really good Welcome and that stuff :3

19. webspider
    Date: Tue, Apr 23 2013 09:58:41

@Barracks510: If you've looked closely, you would have seen the advanced text editor gives you buttons with tags, the HTML tag is just to show off HTML code, not actually use it. Just insert two linebreaks between every paragraph as usual and wrap the special things in the special tags, each one has a button for that. Additionally to that, there's the preview button next to the post button, but you'll only see it if you use the advanced view instead of posting a quick reply.

20. ChuBamboo
    Date: Sat, Apr 27 2013 05:41:55

Welcome to USPB. Overall this forum is very informative and helpful for learning about PS. I hope you enjoy being a part of the forum