UPSB v4

Off-topic / How do you get rid of a lisp?

1. Kcom2002
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 11:43:58

So recently, I have discovered that I have an interdental lisp. An interdental lisp is when you pronounce the S sound with your tongue sticking out in between your teeth. My interdental lisp is not easily heard but can be heard sometimes. Although what really upsets me is that it is very easy to hear on a recording or video with audio of my voice. I don't really wanna go to a speech pathologist coz, well lets see. I cbf. So I wanna do this at home. I've been practicing saying my S's with my teeth clenched and my tongue resting at the bottom of my mouth. What I want to know is that are there any exercises for this like tongue twisters that will help me. (I'm already using the selling sea shells one) And also, will it even be possible for me to completely cure this? I now only speak with the S correctly never sticking my tongue out but I always sometimes have to think a little and then pronounce it so my sentence talking skills are like messed up. People would think I have a studder when I'm actually trying to get rid of my list. I've had this list for about 14 years. (I am 14) Since I'm at a young age it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of, right? Is there anyone here who has a lisp or had a lisp? If so could you tell me how you cured it or how you're dealing with it. This is serious. No trolls please.

2. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:29:20

See a speech pathologist. Also, how do you say your sof tc's? Cee? or Thee?

3. Kcom2002
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:48:47

shoeman6 wrote: See a speech pathologist. Also, how do you say your sof tc's? Cee? or Thee?
    I say them perfectly fine. The only problem is the S.

4. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:54:33

Well, channeling my inner speech pathologist, practice listening to yourself speak in real time, so through a pvc pipe phone thing, or digitally, no need to read anything in particular, just make sure you say things out loud. Don't try to go fast and then stumble on your s's, pace yourself so everything is about the same speed. If you find yourself making the wrong shape in your mouth for an S, think about the soft C, and start over, don't worry about how other people will think you sound, because that will only make you nervous and stumble over your big ol flippity floppity tongue. :_

5. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 13:00:12

2n question, do you pronounce L with your tongue between your teeth? But really, I think seeing a real speech pathologist would not only help leaps and bounds, it would also make you feel more comfortable about your speech impediment (wow, I didn't realize so many people had it etc.). And if you want to make any real progress, that's the best way to go.

6. Materia
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 13:04:09

I'm not exactly contributing to how to cure lisps, but I just wanted to say that it's perfectly possible for you to cure it; like a person trying to get rid of an accent. By what I've read so far, you don't exactly have a serious lisp. So it wouldn't be too hard for you to cure it.

7. Kcom2002
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 13:05:01

shoeman6 wrote: 2n question, do you pronounce L with your tongue between your teeth? But really, I think seeing a real speech pathologist would not only help leaps and bounds, it would also make you feel more comfortable about your speech impediment (wow, I didn't realize so many people had it etc.). And if you want to make any real progress, that's the best way to go.
    No I don't pronounce my L's like that.

8. Kcom2002
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 13:06:56

Markopokodude wrote: I'm not exactly contributing to how to cure lisps, but I just wanted to say that it's perfectly possible for you to cure it; like a person trying to get rid of an accent. By what I've read so far, you don't exactly have a serious lisp. So it wouldn't be too hard for you to cure it.
    I find it serious. It's obvious in videos. It kinds ruins my singing when I record it, giving me no hope to be a Nico Nico singer. xD But I'm glad to know it's curable and not perma.

9. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 13:08:38

Interesting, then yeah, your lisp is pretty isolated. If you keep working at it, it might work. But if it doesn't, and you just leave it, you could be stuck with it forever. Lisps aren't the end of the world, just be glad you don't talk through your nose. Up to you what you're willing to do about it.

10. Reason
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 14:33:26

i pronounced R's like W's until i was 6 or 7. my parents had me practice saying R's by using that annoying frosted flakes commercial where the tiger says "they're grrrrrreat!!!". it was simple but it worked. so i would just try finding some practice sentences or phrases online (moses supposes his toeses are roses XD). anyway, good luck in your efforts :D

11. Mr.Squekers
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 19:29:41

My math teacher says that the word 'lisp' and 'stutter' are the meanest words in the english language because the people who have those can't even say the word.

12. miyat
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 21:25:34

[video=youtube;6GvTLfV8fls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GvTLfV8fls[/video] Doesn't help but thought I'd post thisssss here.

13. exclusive
    Date: Sun, Apr 14 2013 21:27:59

@Kcom2002 u can try www.vocaroo.com and post the recording here if possible

14. Kcom2002
    Date: Mon, Apr 15 2013 00:17:46

exclusive wrote: @Kcom2002 u can try www.vocaroo.com and post the recording here if possible
    My mic.s messed up. There's like a drilling noise. So I won't record. And thanks to everyone else for help. Greatly appreciated.