UPSB v4

Philosophy / Should penspinning still be called "Pen Spinning"?

1. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 21:28:46

At the moment, a lot of the things we spin are not even pens, we've taken out the ink, weighted them, or they may be pencils, etc. This creates a LOT of explanation on our end when people ask what it is, because "Pen spinning" incurs a lot of questions and people complaining how it's not even a pen, etc. In reality, it is 1D Juggling, as you are handling a one dimensional object, and it can be either juggled or contact juggled. Applying "pen spinning" when people are spinning pencils and what are effectively weighted plastic sticks seems rather archaic to me. Thoughts, opinions?

2. wellshrouded
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 21:59:52

I think, like many other sports and hobbies the name refers to the original version. For example pen spinning when first started was properly just spinning pens but now with the advancement of it with people trying new things and expanding the hobby means the we change the way it is done but this does not mean we have to change the name. I agree with the fact that very few people actually spin pens but the technique and actions are almost the same.

3. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 22:33:21

But wouldn't it make things a bit more clear to have a more broadly defined name?

4. Xienix
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 22:49:52

eurocracy wrote: But wouldn't it make things a bit more clear to have a more broadly defined name?
    :noface:

5. IAmTheMrGuy
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 23:02:49

The point of the hobby is still to spin instruments that write or are created from things which wrote. Penspinning still sounds reasonable to me

6. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 23:13:08

it should still be called penspinning. Personally I only spin unmodded in public most of the time with only rare instances of me using a single sided mod. Anyways what else would you call it that is more descriptive without sounding lame?

7. SA1
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 23:13:16

Xienix wrote: :noface:
    lol good job! :thumb:

8. Xitra
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 23:49:24

eurocracy wrote: But wouldn't it make things a bit more clear to have a more broadly defined name?
    I think "Pen spinning" sounds alot nicer than "Stick-like object manipulating", "1D Juggling"... (1D Juggling..JUGGLING :/ No "home home" PS name?) And I don't currently see why PS should have a new name/more broadly defined one >_< At least for now.. ? There could be..a reason. (I am thinking of how we call PS and how it limits our brain to.. "SPINNING" the pen, causing the boundary trapping us in slow progression? meh, Ill do it elsewhere...)

9. RPD
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 23:52:30

I remember that time ago, another thread like this was created. I think that it ended with the only conclussion that "penspinning" is ok and "spinning" isnt descriptive. Personally I think that penspinning is a nice name :3

10. taichi1082
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 00:16:18

Wow this thread Eurocracy go to bed, now!

11. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 00:25:51

Yes.

12. PERSIST
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 02:07:02

eurocracy wrote: At the moment, a lot of the things we spin are not even pens, we've taken out the ink, weighted them, or they may be pencils, etc. This creates a LOT of explanation on our end when people ask what it is, because "Pen spinning" incurs a lot of questions and people complaining how it's not even a pen, etc. In reality, it is 1D Juggling, as you are handling a one dimensional object, and it can be either juggled or contact juggled. Applying "pen spinning" when people are spinning pencils and what are effectively weighted plastic sticks seems rather archaic to me. Thoughts, opinions?
    I don't have to worry about this at all, because most of my mods are writeable anyways. But still, what else do you call something that's made out of pens? Pen mod spinning makes more sense, but pen spinning is just shorter and less complicated to explain to people, who know nothing about pen mods.

13. Yamaguchi
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 03:16:41

taichi1082 wrote: Wow this thread Eurocracy go to bed, now!
    THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER.. YOU HIGH EURO?

14. Dreamer
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 03:35:52

Any other name is lame :stupid:

15. Tommy
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 03:52:03

I think we should stick with the original name

16. Dts
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 04:32:41

I see where you are coming from. HOWEVER, I think we choose this name because the manipulation of the pen seems like the pen spins (in most cases it does). But I don't believe changing the name would be the best of choices. Mainly because when someone who hasn't heard of this hobby, hears the term "pen spinning" they might think, "Oooo I wonder what that would look like" and might actually have an interest! If we were to call it something like pen manipulation, or something of that sort, people would probably assume we do magic tricks with pens like making it disappear or something. Its like the game of American Football, they use more hands then feet but its not called handball! Well I hope you understand my point of view for the name game:) Thanks for reading!

17. Solar
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 04:57:41

just call it SPINNING :)

18. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 09:21:31

Obviously the name I put forward was not the ultimate suggestion, if something doesn't sound nice we can always adapt the name, the english language is over a million words of course. Infact, could it be possible to actually have two names for it, the common "Pen Spinning" and then a more correct name that describes everything under it's umbrella? So you would have the choice between them, depending on the questions asked to you, one might be better than the other. This hybrid system would still retain the current term and solve the problems of the current term, while keeping it's strengths. Opinions on this?

19. Mats
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:20:04

I still use pens and pencils for pen spinning. Pen spinning seems like the only possible name. :dunno: If you want to be broad, just say you do contact juggling with a pen.

20. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:48:40

Honestly, euro? Call it whatever the hell you want to. Changing the name doesn't change what it is.

21. Chozodragon
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 14:25:38

Heard this debate so many times No we should call it silicon tube manipulation

22. padrace
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 16:08:07

there are no baskets in basketball. there are few full pens in penspinning. neither is an issue at all, and the archaic names fit the activity just fine.

23. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 16:21:35

Cup stackers dont lament over the fact that their cups have holes, and therefore are not cups. Of cup stackers decided they wanted to be known as sieve stackers or cups with holes stackers it would be silly. Just like this thread. (I realize some people call it sport stacking, but I liked my false analogy)

24. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 16:42:15

taichi1082;253927]Wow this thread Eurocracy go to bed, now![/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Yamaguchi;253966]THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER.. YOU HIGH EURO?[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Tiger;253968]Any other name is lame :stupid:[/QUOTE] Uh really guys, I made a suggestion, there's no need to go full childish and start targeting me rather than my suggestion. Argumentum ad hominems, begone! Also guys please explain why you think that way, I can't really go off "Pen spinning should be the name" as it gives me nothing to discuss about. I was trying to stay mostly neutral and put forward some implications. Anyhow, onto the other responses! [QUOTE=shoeman6;254043]Honestly, euro? Call it whatever the hell you want to. Changing the name doesn't change what it is.[/QUOTE] I never said or implied it did ^^ I simply thought it would explain why we spin mods or anything better to avoid the questions we always get from nonspinners that get posted in threads talking about how they bug us. [QUOTE=padrace;254069]there are no baskets in basketball. there are few full pens in penspinning. neither is an issue at all, and the archaic names fit the activity just fine.[/QUOTE] Uh actually there are baskets in basketball, from the description in wikipedia: "Basketball is a team sport, the objective being to shoot a ball through a horizontally positioned basket to score points". But with your point in hand, basketball is a lot better known than pen spinning, so it doesn't need anywhere near as much explanation. [QUOTE=Dts;253980]I see where you are coming from. HOWEVER, I think we choose this name because the manipulation of the pen seems like the pen spins (in most cases it does). But I don't believe changing the name would be the best of choices. Mainly because when someone who hasn't heard of this hobby, hears the term "pen spinning" they might think, "Oooo I wonder what that would look like" and might actually have an interest! If we were to call it something like pen manipulation, or something of that sort, people would probably assume we do magic tricks with pens like making it disappear or something. Its like the game of American Football, they use more hands then feet but its not called handball! Well I hope you understand my point of view for the name game:) Thanks for reading![/QUOTE] I do agree with you there in relation to the word 'spinning', it's very descriptive. I don't think it's the only descriptive word, but you make a very nice point against my suggested term, I don't think it's very precise myself in hindsight. [QUOTE=Mats;254032]I still use pens and pencils for pen spinning. Pen spinning seems like the only possible name. :dunno: If you want to be broad, just say you do contact juggling with a pen.[/QUOTE] While it is a form of contact juggling, I think it's kind of in a hierarchy of terms, so: Contact Juggling "Manipulation of cylindrical objects" (Temporary name standin) Other terms to describe specific objects, 'Pencil spinning' and 'Pen spinning' So what would we call the umbrella term here. Of course, if you spin a pen or a pencil that writes, or a pen mod that writes, pen and pencil spinning is very precise. [QUOTE=PERSIST;253947]I don't have to worry about this at all, because most of my mods are writeable anyways. But still, what else do you call something that's made out of pens? Pen mod spinning makes more sense, but pen spinning is just shorter and less complicated to explain to people, who know nothing about pen mods.[/QUOTE] I agree! The name should be short and self explanatory, and I don't doubt that someone would be able to think of one, either. [QUOTE=Awesome;253913]it should still be called penspinning. Personally I only spin unmodded in public most of the time with only rare instances of me using a single sided mod. Anyways what else would you call it that is more descriptive without sounding lame?[/QUOTE] I think it's perfectly fine if you're spinning a pen to call it "Pen spinning" or a pencil to call it "Pencil spinning", but aside from that, as they are practically duplicates of eachother with different objects used (Such as flower sticks and devil sticks) it seems like they are in a current unnamed category. [QUOTE=IAmTheMrGuy wrote: The point of the hobby is still to spin instruments that write or are created from things which wrote. Penspinning still sounds reasonable to me
    But then where would the line be drawn between what constitutes a pen and not a pen. For example the b!st spinning pen was actually a metal stick with metal weights on the end. But from what I've seen so far:
      [*]People want to keep the name pen spinning, as it started with pens and they are used to the term [*]Therefore replacing the term should not be done by removing "Pen spinning" and "Pencil spinning" should not be done and is not viable. [*]However, there is still confusion between the term and what object is being spun.
    [SIZE="3"][B]From this I place forward this suggestion:[/B] Would it be reasonable to have an umbrella term for pencil spinning and pen spinning, that describes everything underneath it, and fills in any gaps, while officially retaining the other terms and not changing their use?[/SIZE]

25. padrace
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 16:52:58

@eurocracy i meant there aren't literally "baskets." bas·ket [bas-kit, bah-skit] Show IPA noun 1. a container made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together. 2. a container made of pieces of thin veneer, used for packing berries, vegetables, etc. 3. the amount contained in a basket; a basketful: to pick a basket of apples. 4. anything like a basket in shape or use: He never empties my wastepaper basket. 5. any group of things or different things grouped as a unit; a package; package deal: You can't buy the single stock; you have to take the basket—all companies, stocks and bonds. DICTIONARY definition. wikipedia can suck it.

26. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 16:53:21

Object Manipulation Contact Juggling Pen Spinning Voila. Now go to bed. My mod is a pen, my pen can be a mod. Really it's up to whatever a person defines themselves. If a person is spinning a 12 foot long stick and using pen spinning techniques and calls it pen spinning, he is pen spinning, if he prefers to call it some other name, so be it.

27. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 17:00:17

shoeman6;254080]Object Manipulation Contact Juggling Pen Spinning Voila. Now go to bed. My mod is a pen, my pen can be a mod. Really it's up to whatever a person defines themselves. If a person is spinning a 12 foot long stick and using pen spinning techniques and calls it pen spinning, he is pen spinning, if he prefers to call it some other name, so be it.[/QUOTE] Contact juggling doesn't quite describe it, while you could say pen spinning and pencil spinning are on the same level, just duplicates of eachother (as I wrote before). So I said there was a category unnamed between contact juggling and the objects being spun. I could call it akusama yatari if I wanted and say it's from some other country, but it doesn't make it easier to explain, I'm not suggesting it for the same of changing the name but for making what I'm doing a bit more self explanatory. Also don't be so flippant and dismissive, the discussion isn't instantly over and resolved to your point when you make it, it's extremely rude. [QUOTE=padrace wrote: @eurocracy i meant there aren't literally "baskets." bas·ket [bas-kit, bah-skit] Show IPA noun 1. a container made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together. 2. a container made of pieces of thin veneer, used for packing berries, vegetables, etc. 3. the amount contained in a basket; a basketful: to pick a basket of apples. 4. anything like a basket in shape or use: He never empties my wastepaper basket. 5. any group of things or different things grouped as a unit; a package; package deal: You can't buy the single stock; you have to take the basket—all companies, stocks and bonds. DICTIONARY definition. wikipedia can suck it.
    Googling basket first result is: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/basket Gives us:
    bas•ket (ˈbæs kɪt, ˈbɑ skɪt) n. 1. a container made of twigs, rushes, or other flexible material woven together. 2. a container made of pieces of thin veneer, used for packing berries, vegetables, etc. 3. the amount contained in a basket; a basketful. 4. anything like a basket in shape or use: a wastepaper basket. 5. a group of similar or related things; unit; package: a basket of industrial stocks. 6. the car or gondola suspended beneath a balloon. [B]7. a. the goal on a basketball court, consisting of an open net suspended from a metal hoop attached to a backboard. b. field goal (def. 2).[/B]
    They literally are baskets, that's how english works. As basketball is so huge, they have been able to set their term for everyone, we unfortunately can't do that, we are not big enough to change the definition of "pen" to include our mods.

28. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 17:05:48

Pen spinning is explanatory. The only thing people (non spinners) don't seem to get is that it's more than just single tricks, but instead fluid combinations. Let's call it finger pole dancing and see how that works. But wait! Spinners these days use more than just their fingers, I propose this name to fill the void. Hands fingers knees and toes, knees and toes, knees and toes, hands fingers knees and toes, modded pen and pencil spinning and sometimes not spinning manipulation. You can shorten it to [B]HFKTKTKTHFKTMPPSSSM[/B] I hope it catches on because this way people will more intuitively grasp what pen spinning really is. That, or [B]Finger Pole Dancing[/B], or even [B]Fingering[/B] work for me.

29. The Zen
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 17:09:21

Pen spinning is a sufficient name for pen spinning because that is exactly what you do.

30. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 17:37:35

shoeman6;254092]Pen spinning is explanatory. The only thing people (non spinners) don't seem to get is that it's more than just single tricks, but instead fluid combinations. Let's call it finger pole dancing and see how that works. But wait! Spinners these days use more than just their fingers, I propose this name to fill the void. Hands fingers knees and toes, knees and toes, knees and toes, hands fingers knees and toes, modded pen and pencil spinning and sometimes not spinning manipulation. You can shorten it to [B]HFKTKTKTHFKTMPPSSSM[/B] I hope it catches on because this way people will more intuitively grasp what pen spinning really is. That, or [B]Finger Pole Dancing[/B], or even [B]Fingering[/B] work for me.[/QUOTE] I never said to replace the term at all, just to help define what exactly is being manipulated by placing pen spinning and pencil spinning into an umbrella category! The question I get all the time and the criticism is that I'm not spinning a pen, so why is it called "pen spinning" and not "stick spinning" etc and how the naming is dumb. Obviously as it's what we do, we don't see it as though it's not clear, but they do have a point, it's like saying you're an XCMer but actually just juggle balls in their eyes! [QUOTE=zgotspinz wrote: Pen spinning is a sufficient name for pen spinning because that is exactly what you do.
    Sorry but you really need to read the posts in a thread before posting, especially the FIRST POST, where my problem is that there's complaints that we're not spinning pens, so it can be said that it doesn't properly define it. [B]For any of you who haven't caught on yet, I'm not proposing to remove and replace "Pen Spinning" and "Pencil spinning" with a new term, I propose to keep them and put them under a category.[/B]

31. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 17:49:44

Idk what you're talking about euro, my post was about my own proposals, not yours. But in terms of yours, it seems like you're not doing a great job of explaining pen spinning to people. I've never gotten the "but that's not a pen!" response from anybody EXCEPT pen spinners. Let them touch your pen, or spin their pen if they don't get the connection. If anything, people are [B]more[/B] interested because of the mods and how they're made. But I've never had anyone question it, lol. I'll get pen twirling, or finger break dancing a lot, but never: Hey! That's not a pen! LIARRRR. The closest I've gotten to that is a teacher borrowing a mod and not knowing to uncap the back in order to write with it. She nearly hurt herself thinking it was a retractable pen! Mods are pens, pens are pens, pen spinning is spinning pens. Maybe you should explain this to people if they don't understand. If you're not spinning a pen, and you don't feel comfortable calling it pen spinning, call it contact juggling. I personally call it pen spinning, and the object I'm spinning is my pen, regardless of whether or not it is a "pen". If you, for instance pick up a metal tube, and for an instant, do a triple hai tua with it, for that instant, the metal tube is serving as the "pen" in pen spinning. XCM and juggling is the definition of a false analogy, it has nothing to do with what you are talking about, and there are multiple names and definitions for both. All object manipulation can not be clearly be defined at the fringes because all object manipulation is the same thing, object manipulation. Freehand glowsticking and pen spinning are both very similar, but what if I did pen spinning with a glowstick, the world doesn't blow up. I'm pen spinning. Pen spinning is just a term, like any other term. If someone says "Hey! But that's not a pen!" You need to explain to them that it's CALLED pen spinning. And I already answered the question you proposed at the top of the thread. Yes.

32. RPD
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 18:51:19

Shoe, I just want to HFKTKTKTHFKTMPPSSSM my life with you :3

33. Enkronidus
    Date: Mon, Apr 22 2013 22:04:28

Pen Twirling

34. JoloPSPH
    Date: Tue, Apr 23 2013 06:43:27

Sometimes they call the pens FINGER BATON seriously

35. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Apr 23 2013 13:12:07

Just call it penspinning. Mods are created using pen parts so calling it penspinning is fine with me. You could change the ''official'' name to pen-mod spinning, but everyone is going to use the shorter penspinning anyways.

36. KIMAvcrp
    Date: Sun, Apr 28 2013 12:15:37

There are some people who really do pen spinning :)

37. MitchellFaulkner
    Date: Tue, May 14 2013 05:54:51

The name pen spinning is quite cool and i don't think it needs any change at all. Whatever you spin it comes under pen spinning and no alteration to the name should be made whatsoever.

38. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, May 14 2013 07:24:51

MitchellFaulkner wrote: The name pen spinning is quite cool and i don't think it needs any change at all. Whatever you spin it comes under pen spinning and no alteration to the name should be made whatsoever.
    This is quite an old thread now...

39. MultiMadDog420
    Date: Sun, May 19 2013 02:07:13

Mini Baton Twirling? Just kidding, that's what my 7th period teacher said.

40. spyb0y1
    Date: Sun, May 19 2013 10:52:40

Seven periods? In one day? That must suck Oh, almost forgot: I think it should stay as pen spinning

41. spyb0y1
    Date: Sun, May 19 2013 10:53:13

Oh, almost forgot: I think it should stay as pen spinning

42. Whirlpool
    Date: Tue, Nov 19 2013 20:21:08

Pen spinning is a good name still. We still have mods that use pens. If we were to change it, it would cause debates and people to be angry. What would we call it after? I understand the name, if we called it something would it be confusing? Point is if we did change it, be a cause that made so many effects.

43. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Nov 19 2013 21:30:11

Whirlpool wrote: Pen spinning is a good name still. We still have mods that use pens. If we were to change it, it would cause debates and people to be angry. What would we call it after? I understand the name, if we called it something would it be confusing? Point is if we did change it, be a cause that made so many effects.
    Thanks for bumping a thread that has been dead for half a year to say the same things everyone else has already said

44. Whirlpool
    Date: Tue, Nov 19 2013 22:39:58

eurocracy wrote: Thanks for bumping a thread that has been dead for half a year to say the same things everyone else has already said
    Sorry, about that. Forgot to look at the dates. Eurocracy please forgive me. :( can you delete it?

45. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Nov 20 2013 13:15:10

Whirlpool wrote: Sorry, about that. Forgot to look at the dates. Eurocracy please forgive me. :( can you delete it?
    Only mods can delete/close threads.

46. Soren
    Date: Sat, Dec 21 2013 02:01:01

I can see why you think that way but I would still call pen spinning pen spinning. Pen spinning originated from spinning pens, and mods are made from pen parts, so it makes sense to call it pen spinning.

47. Infiknight
    Date: Sun, Jan 5 2014 12:25:01

my bro has beem telling me repeatedly that the mods are not pens, the were just sticks, is it true?

48. [TGN]
    Date: Sun, Jan 5 2014 13:08:47

as how you would describe the feeling of labour as pressure and not pain

49. Zkhan
    Date: Sun, Jan 5 2014 13:22:36

Search before you post.

50. Sekai
    Date: Sun, Jan 5 2014 13:48:09

Doesn't matter if the final result is a stick, they're still modified pens.

51. Panda Hugs
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 07:54:28

@Raiz Soooooooooooo... Raiz and I were disusing pen spinning about 5 minutes before I started writing this post, and we came to a disagreement. We have talked about this briefly before, but not nearly to the extent that we did this time. I just kinda wanted to share our disagreement on here and see what ya'll had to say. I am probably going to get a lot of shit for this, but I don't care. I am believe I am right so #yoloswagthuglife2014blazerMLP Pen A noun Defined as: an instrument for writing or drawing with ink, typically consisting of a metal nib or ball, or a nylon tip, fitted into a metal or plastic holder. If it cannot write or draw, if it does not contain ink... then I am sorry but it is NOT a pen. It is a baton, or a baton like item. Baton A noun Defined as: a short stick or staff or something resembling one, in particular. I am sorry, but if it looks like a baton, it is defined as a baton, and functions as a baton and not as a pen... then it is not a pen. I hope this doesn't get anyone's panties in a twist but I just had to. Later, players. Talk to 'ya in the chat box.

52. LighT*
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 07:58:00

Lel

53. Gash
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 08:02:04

I thought this was gonna be about the thumbaround which some random tutorial maker called "The Debate".

54. fang
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 08:26:50

Make sense.

55. ChainBreak
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 09:04:28

This has been discussed before. The common term that is used is "pen mod" anyways so there shouldnt be the problem of terminology.

56. Tommy
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 09:13:05

There is a thread already like this called "should pen spinning really be called penspinning "or something. This thread didn't need to be created. http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=14658&highlight=penspinning+called+penspinning

57. DioBrando
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 09:59:25

fuck u gash stealing my post

58. Panda Hugs
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 10:18:10

@DioBrando rofl I heard about that. You two are witty for that quick reference.

59. Soren
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 11:52:33

So you're saying that pen mods should be called batons?

60. ChainBreak
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 12:11:24

Pen modification is a legit term since it's an accurate description of what it is: A modified pen. Just because it doesnt write doesnt strip the raw material from it's ability to write. Hence pen modification or short "pen mod" is a legit term.

61. Dakrowl
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 12:11:59

Lolwut.

62. shoeman6
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 13:06:49

Different discourse communities will use words differently, in the context of pen spinning, the "pen" is whatever the hell you're spinning if you are applying pen spinning techniques to it. It's a stand in for the object you are spinning. You can be pen spinning a football for all I care if you are applying pen spinning methodology to it. This seems to be a common misunderstanding with people who have just discovered pen spinning as they have not learned all the jargon and associations that come along with communicating ideas within the pen spinning community.

63. Walkaz
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 15:26:02

but mx and dr grip

64. RPD
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 17:26:38

WBTC16 world baton twirling championship '16 it doesnt need to be literal. words evolve. for example: [B]Mathematics;[/B] Comes from the Greek μάθημα (máthēma), which, in the ancient Greek language, means "that which is learnt", "what one gets to know," doest it have something in common with numbers? not really. but the etimology of the word is related, so we accept it.

65. Whirlpool
    Date: Mon, Jan 13 2014 17:34:14

My teacher calls my pen a baton lol. I think that we make our mods of pens not batons it was stated but it's a modification of pens. Also the other post talks about that but is about the name of pen spinning because we spin markers and stuff not the name of what we spin.

66. ChowCow
    Date: Tue, Jan 14 2014 00:00:29

my teacher calls pen spinning helicopter stick thingy. LOL!

67. Iota
    Date: Tue, Jan 14 2014 00:09:40

Yeah this is kind of old news, and I agree with what's been said by shoeman, RPD, others. Also, "baton spinning" sounds lame as fuck so there's that too, especially since the skill set associated with actual batons involves spinning using the wrist and wraparound stuff, more like contact staff, so despite semantics it would really be a misnomer for pen spinning in terms of what we're actually doing (as shoeman mentioned, basically, don't think of pen spinning as just spinning a pen, it's really sorta like 'pen spinning' a pen, in the sense that it involves a particular type of manipulation)

68. Zkhan
    Date: Tue, Jan 14 2014 00:11:29

/merged

69. Pen15
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 21:21:51

Call it pen mawashi cause its cooler and has a nicer sound

70. cl3ud.kr
    Date: Mon, Nov 3 2014 22:54:24

Pen15 wrote: Call it pen mawashi cause its cooler and has a nicer sound
    no please. that's offending. that's a goddamn japanese name. no. just. no. and no. that's an opinion. i think pen mawashi sounds ugly. just like someone else might find pen dolligi, the korean name for pen spinning, ugly. no. we are not doing this. upsb's main language is english. no. just no.

71. Jadenizer4
    Date: Mon, Nov 17 2014 04:18:03

Well considering I try to spin a 28cm pen, people have started calling me a baton twirler. Kinda funny.