UPSB v4

General Discussion / How fast do you lose PS skill?

1. eduguy
    Date: Sat, Mar 23 2013 22:50:44

How fast can this happen? I haven't PS for awhile( no school ) and I wonder if my "skill" (ability to do some thumbarounds ) has left me.

2. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Mar 23 2013 23:11:37

Very slowly, continuous tricks go first and will start getting rusty after a couple of days without practice (you won't be able to do as many as easily)

3. Xitra
    Date: Sat, Mar 23 2013 23:51:16

I don't think fundamentals can leave you so easily as they aren't cont. tricks and are very easy ^^ I didnt PS for 7 months once and I could still do a TA. In my opinion, tricks that require great strength and accuracy will fade away first :/ After I came back after that 6-7 months break I couldn't do 4x Bust and Multiple Pinky Spreads.. T^T But you can, of course, train your skill back.. As for you, well, TA won't go away so fast! :D

4. Reason
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 00:09:57

very fast. as you read this you are losing obscene amounts off skill. but seriously, its slow and gradual for most things. in most cases i think the basics will always stick with you, but harder things like continuous tricks may be lost faster. really though, i think its always possible to gain that skill back with enough training.

5. Apocalyptic Shadows
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 00:14:14

I lost a bit of my mirrored powerpass overnight before. You have to train a lot, and fully get down the trick. Maybe then it'd be difficult to lose skill.

6. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 01:04:33

5 seconds, so dont stop spinning

7. Quake
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 01:45:07

If you master a trick, then it'll be pretty hard to lose it. Thus, master all your tricks.

8. SH1NeePanda
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 02:20:33

Well if you casually spin with regular pens while in school you'd probably won't loose that much skill, exception would be power tricks, not like your gonna multiple bust when a teacher is lecturing :3

9. Tommy
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 02:32:32

yess... especially with power tricks, if you dont practice once in a while power will decrease

10. Mats
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 02:36:16

Reason wrote: but seriously, its slow and gradual for most things. in most cases i think the basics will always stick with you, but harder things like continuous tricks may be lost faster. really though, i think its always possible to gain that skill back with enough training.
    QFT and the second time of *learning* it will be faster than the first time you had to learn it too.

11. Knight
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 04:14:45

Kinda hard to lose them, unless its like power tricks like bust, you get less able to do as many as before continuously

12. i.suk
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 04:36:53

contrary to the majority of posts in this thread, power skill stays about the same for me if i don't practise it not sure about other people's experiences though

13. JustDesire
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 05:44:56

Just a bit rusty, I never "lose" the trick o.o

14. Mats
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 06:17:07

JustDesire wrote: Just a bit rusty, I never "lose" the trick o.o
    Try leaving pen spinning for 10 years and then see.

15. Obstracized
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 07:07:29

i.suk wrote: contrary to the majority of posts in this thread, power skill stays about the same for me if i don't practice it not sure about other people's experiences though
    Maybe it's because you practiced Power for more than 4/5 Years? XD Power Skill Decreases for me if I don't practice it often.

16. Xitra
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 07:40:00

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory Muscle Memory...hmm.. "Findings related to the retention of learned motor skills have been continuously replicated in studies, suggesting that through subsequent practice, motor learning is stored in the brain as memory. This is why performing skills such as riding a bike or driving a car are effortlessly and 'unconsciously' executed, even if someone had not performed these skills in a long period of time." I guess the more you practice, the harder it is to lose the skill after you stop for a period of time??? Idk I am confused about this science stuff..cannot comprehend :P...Read up on muscle memory? :D

17. Mats
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 07:46:18

It's quite interesting that current high level memory techniques use image memory to remember for example, names, cards or digits (for example, memorizing hundreds or thousands of digits in a an hour). I wonder if the next level will be manipulating things to go straight into muscle memory? Is that even possible? Anyway, it will be interesting to see.

18. Dakrowl
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 08:09:03

3 seconds, i'm a goldfish

19. [TGN]
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 08:50:06

i.suk wrote: contrary to the majority of posts in this thread, power skill stays about the same for me if i don't practice it not sure about other people's experiences though
    That's because you have already mastered them.. I stopped spinning for 3 days and now I can't do > 2 palmspins.

20. Koza
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 08:58:39

Immediately after clipping my long nails to short. Other than that, if I don't spin for a day or two, which is rare, I start to lose dexterity in my fingers. It's something that really needs to be trained every day...

21. Mats
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 09:46:00

Koza wrote: Immediately after clipping my long nails to short. Other than that, if I don't spin for a day or two, which is rare, I start to lose dexterity in my fingers. It's something that really needs to be trained every day...
    nah man. Nothing needs to be trained everyday.

22. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 10:07:44

Very fast, after a week of less intensive spinning my skill lowers significantly. It is mostly consistancy that constantly needs time put into it.

23. MinoochX
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 13:09:00

Knight wrote: Kinda hard to lose them, unless its like power tricks like bust, you get less able to do as many as before continuously
    Agreed ;) because you experienced this :D Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

24. eduguy
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 22:41:58

Okay thank you for all the opinions. :)