UPSB v4

Off-topic / Let's Talk About Quantum Physics

1. Xitra
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 06:56:27

Discuss about Quantum Physics here. *Start up* Yes, I created this because I am ridiculously bored...Hopefully it will last... or even GET alive.

2. Utkarsh
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 07:46:06

q=ne thing?

3. Xitra
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 07:55:01

Utkarsh wrote: q=ne thing?
    IDK T^T I SHALL GUESS..... Q = charge e = electronic charge (a constant) n = number of electrons in whatever you want the charge of IDK :( :( :(

4. Enkronidus
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 08:10:50

I'm with Einstein so I say it's kinda lame

5. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 12:54:42

I don't believe in physics

6. neXus
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 13:17:22

You want to discuss Quantum Physics yet you have no idea about Quantum Physics? Let me use this thread to promote my new book "The 3rd trimester and what to expect".

7. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 14:55:51

I think we first must establish the abstract vector space in which we will be working in for this discussion first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_space I found the fact that there was no mention of this in my quantum course a bit disturbing. It quickly turned into a regurgitate a bunch of equations with no chance of discussion.

8. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 16:17:24

The experiment that started it all was one where a charged metal piece was exposed to higher intensities of light and the charge before and after the exposure was measured. Because you could see that the charge went down significantly, Einstein assumed that light was not only a wave, but also showed characteristics of a particle. So Einstein postulated the photon, a massless very small concentration of energy that interacted with the electrons, pushing them out of the metal and thus reducing the charge.

9. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 16:57:06

ChainBreak wrote: The experiment that started it all was one where a charged metal piece was exposed to higher intensities of light and the charge before and after the exposure was measured. Because you could see that the charge went down significantly, Einstein assumed that light was not only a wave, but also showed characteristics of a particle. So Einstein postulated the photon, a massless very small concentration of energy that interacted with the electrons, pushing them out of the metal and thus reducing the charge.
    Quantum mechanics finds its origins in explaining spectra of elements. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmer_series This was proposed when Einstein was only 6... Einstein is known for general and special relativity not quantum mechanics itself, although his theories helped develop it a lot.

10. Mats
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 20:41:00

Everyone who posted in this thread should really Google 'D-wave' and take a look at that shit! :jawdrop:

11. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 21:56:09

Awesome wrote: Quantum mechanics finds its origins in explaining spectra of elements. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmer_series This was proposed when Einstein was only 6... Einstein is known for general and special relativity not quantum mechanics itself, although his theories helped develop it a lot.
    Ok pardon me what I meant to express is that the dualism is the first important discovery to be made.

12. Mats
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 22:09:43

ChainBreak wrote: Ok pardon me what I meant to express is that the dualism is the first important discovery to be made.
    Is it really? It's hard to say any discovery was the most important to be made in the development of quantum theory. :dunno: Think about: -Scientific method -Discovery of the elements -Principia Mathematica -Opticks :dunno:

13. Argon_City
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 22:47:19

Going to start with QM next year, keep the discussion going.

14. ChainBreak
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 23:18:36

Mats wrote: Is it really? It's hard to say any discovery was the most important to be made in the development of quantum theory. :dunno: Think about: -Scientific method -Discovery of the elements -Principia Mathematica -Opticks :dunno:
    Anyone who has dealt with quantum physics knows that the dualism is pretty much the most important discovery there. It's the one thing that makes the difference between macro-physics and macro-physcs.

15. Mats
    Date: Fri, Mar 22 2013 23:29:55

ChainBreak wrote: Anyone who has dealt with quantum physics knows that the dualism is pretty much the most important discovery there. It's the one thing that makes the difference between macro-physics and macro-physcs.
    But where does that story begin? Or, where is the most important point in that story? :hmm:

16. ChainBreak
    Date: Sat, Mar 23 2013 16:50:58

You stupid or something? I already wrote that the dualism is pretty much the one discovery that makes the huge difference between macro and micro-pysics.

17. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Mar 23 2013 19:11:45

ChainBreak wrote: Anyone who has dealt with quantum physics knows that the dualism is pretty much the most important discovery there. It's the one thing that makes the difference between macro-physics and macro-physcs.
    The fact that things behave in quanta is the major defining point. Furthermore the fact that things aren't continuous is what gives rise to that duality stuff. Its kinda ridiculous to say that dualism is more important then the postulates that its founded on. Its called [B]quantum[/B] mechanics for a reason.

18. Mats
    Date: Sat, Mar 23 2013 19:45:36

ChainBreak wrote: You stupid or something? I already wrote that the dualism is pretty much the one discovery that makes the huge difference between macro and micro-pysics.
    Yes, but you didn't write why. I think there's a better argument for what Awesome is saying. The discovery that light is made up of photons, which are discreet packages of energy is far more important than duality.

19. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, Mar 24 2013 17:39:01

Mats wrote: Yes, but you didn't write why. I think there's a better argument for what Awesome is saying. The discovery that light is made up of photons, which are discreet packages of energy is far more important than duality.
    You stupid or something? Dualism means that particles also have wave-character or waves also have particle-character under certain circumstances. Dual -> two Dualism -> two states It's not called dualism anymore for some stupid fuckreasons, but it's meaning should still be clear.