UPSB v4

Battlezone / Mats vs Rees

1. Mats
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 20:39:21

...Finally, sorry guys. Anyway: Rees: [video=youtube;gg6a4lhShdc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg6a4lhShdc[/video] Mats: [video=youtube;7tmjMQdBZgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tmjMQdBZgY&feature=youtu.be[/video] Hope you guys like the combos. : )

2. Zombo
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 20:44:19

lol public vote

3. Mats
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 20:50:58

Zombo wrote: lol public vote
    What happened to the vote? :? Edit: nvm it kept asking me to vote every time I opened this thread, even though I null voted, but I just voted draw and it stopped asking. ^^

4. IAmTheMrGuy
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 20:52:06

What the hell?

5. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 21:26:21

The smoothness and execution of Mat's linkages and finisher are on a different plane of enlightenment than those of Rees. Marvelous, Magnificent! Mats.

6. miyat
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 21:33:39

Oops. Accidentally voted for Mats, meant to vote for Rees.

7. spenpinner
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 22:01:09

rees, nothing much to say here except that execution could have used some work, your ending was anti-climactic, and no creativity was shone. Other than that, you had a decent amount of difficulty, your combo was well structured, it flowed well, and your presentation had was good. Mats, there was no difficulty here. The whole combo might be somewhat difficult if there had been tricks done before to gain momentum. Also the pencil wasn't caught after the second stall. Doing stalls are alright and all, but whats the point of doing one if you don't complete it. Ending the video there is the same as dropping the pencil. The thumbspins were out of control and the first stall was way over-exaggerated. The concept was not original. The tricks are not new. The links have been done before. The background is bad, the quality is bad, the angle is bad. Your style is hardly distinct because there's few tricks that can determine your style. At most I can say that your style is built upon stall variations. There's little to no structure in the combo. The ending happened literally right after the beginning, there's a huge lack of variety, and the ending was so anti-climatic. I mean, it wasn't even finished! Seriously mats, if you're going to talk the talk then you better be able to walk the walk. Don't ever call somebody out asking if they even spin if you're going to pull this shit out of your ass. +1 rees

8. Quake
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 22:16:49

lol spenpinner all hating xD On another note Mats, What was the point of submitting if you submit that? I mean, sure its not horrible, but.. c'mon bro. At least do like a punk kan reverse or something to make up for the lack of tricks. Whatever. Im not voting. It'd be one sided.

9. Iota
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 22:27:56

wow and the underdog rees brings it home, such an upset! (lollololsarcasm, at least Mats filmed at all, though that's not much a step up =_='') EDIT: Mats why did you vote on your own battle.....and moreover, why did you vote that it was a DRAW? /facepalm

10. LighT*
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 23:15:38

do you practice matts? not asking in a mean way im just curious?

11. Mats
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 23:20:55

spenpinner wrote: Mats, there was no difficulty here.
    No difficulty? I think you'll find it's quite hard. (sun) [quote=spenpinner]Also the pencil wasn't caught after the second stall. Doing stalls are alright and all, but whats the point of doing one if you don't complete it. Ending the video there is the same as dropping the pencil.[/quote] Well clearly the pen was caught. That's where I planned to catch it, on the middle finger. The whole point of the end of the combo is that it is a pretty sweet catch. lol [quote=spenpinner]The thumbspins were out of control[/quote] I made a video just for you. [quote=Quake] At least do like a punk kan reverse [/quote] Okay, a pun kan reverse would be really sweet on the end of this. I filmed this in less than 10 minutes though. I can do a pun kan, but it's not consistant. I reckon you can go up to an hour or so to land that and I've never tried pun kan reverse... Basically, yes, sweet idea, but I'm far too lazy to nail a pun kan reverse on the end of that bro.

12. Xitra
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 23:24:47

I think the difficulty for mats' combo was to balance the pen on the catch. ^^ very difficult.. i think. But Rees has the style. :D

13. Rees
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 23:26:21

Took several weeks to film a 10 second video to a battle he requested. Produces a 45 second thumbspin video in a few hours. Mats logic. Ban pls.

14. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 23:33:29

To be fair, Mat's combo really isn't that difficult took me 5 tries to get it and tbh, my execution was better, my stall wasn't wobbly. Just fyi, try it out yourself. But it's not about the difficulty it's about the mind blowing mastery of art and psionic ability his 2 tricks represent, peace, power, and the pen.

15. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 23:58:54

Rees what were you thinking brah. You are way out of yohr league and should go back to practising fundamentals. Mats wtf difficulty with an unbalanced pencil are you a robot.

16. Forest
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 00:28:59

Spoiler

17. Tentcell
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 00:39:28

Just stupid.

18. Zkhan
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 00:47:33

Mats' combo was seriously lacking content. We're not left with very much to analyze beyond the linkage that you did. It was interesting but it simply isn't enough to be called a solid and concise combo...At least not in 2013. Rees, being a spinner who doesn't film very often, showed everyone that he is indeed skilled in PS and is able to make solid and formidable combos. Although this combo was fairly simple, it clearly surpasses Mats' combo in essentially criteria we use to judge pen spinning battles (Difficulty, Smoothness, Control, etc...) I know this battle was dragged on for too long and people posting aren't taking it seriously (rightfully so) but, I think we should vote and comment seriously. Nonetheless. 1+ Rees

19. RPD
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 01:24:28

The fact that you are using a pencil doesnt rise 10p. the dificulty of the combo. So actually +1 rees Now, my personal opinion about pencilspinning. Creativity is not really possible with a pencil (or a really unballanced SC, or an unmodded like dr.grip) . It doesnt give you the liberty of doing what you want to do. You will spend x10 the hours that you would with a mod to master a trick. Your spinning will be underrated and people will think that what you did is easier than what it looks (reverse effect of busters, they make what you did harder than what it seems). Conclusion: If you want to be a respected and creative pser, leave that pencil for writing, and start using a nice mod. But [B]hey[/B]!!! this is only my opinion, spin what you like most. IMO, this will be a continuous shitstorm for you.

20. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 01:53:14

@RPD I disagree with you about pencils. For me at least, unsharpened pencils are easier to spin than over half of the mods i've ever owned. They have good momentum, weight distribution and spinability.

21. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 01:56:54

Unless they have an erasor on, in ehich they become hard as shit to spin

22. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 01:58:06

Even with an eraser on.

23. Mats
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 13:04:48

Zkhan wrote: (Difficulty, Smoothness, Control, etc...)
    I'm interested how his combo can have more control? My combo was basically executed flawlessly... As for the other criteria. I think my combo was as smooth as it could be, creativity is another criteria we judge on and I definitely win there. The only question then is difficulty, but I already took 3/4 categories anyway...

24. Enkronidus
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 14:36:34

Everything in this thread is just too fabulous, far beyond my logic can comprehend

25. Iota
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 14:38:55

It was quite poorly executed, you jerk your hand near the end of the TS, and also, it isn't okay to just stop for 4 seconds in the middle of a combo with the pen there to get ready to do a trick, so that takes off a lot in control and smoothness, respectively. Essentially it means you didn't even do a linkage, just a TS 3.0, stopped and waited, and then did the last balance trick. That takes a good deal out of whatever small amount of difficulty it would have had, and Rees had much better smoothness and flow of his own accord anyway. So then the only question is how much we want to award in creativity for tossing a pen up in the air and landing it on your middle finger, actually, since Rees wins all the other categories.

26. Mats
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 14:45:33

Iota wrote: It was quite poorly executed, you jerk your hand near the end of the TS, and also, it isn't okay to just stop for 4 seconds in the middle of a combo with the pen there to get ready to do a trick, so that takes off a lot in control and smoothness, respectively.
    It builds tension in the combo. It's like 'oooh something is going to happen here'. Are you familiar with building tension? You won't make a good novelist (or lover) if not. :lol:

27. Iota
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 14:49:59

I am familiar with it, and it's not a proper excuse for it in this case. Tension is ebbing and flowing in momentum of the combo in pen spinning, tension is letting the pen scissorspin to a near halt but continuing just as it comes to a stop or near-stop, etc. Tension is most definitely not letting the pen sit there for 4 seconds. Letting the pen sit there for 4 seconds is more along the lines of "lol he can't do these two tricks together I guess?"

28. Mats
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 14:55:21

Iota wrote: "lol he can't do these two tricks together I guess?"
    Well yeah of course you can't do them together... TS 3.0 ~ Middlestall? I mean really, you really can't do those together.

29. Iota
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 15:06:07

TS 3.0 > Middlestall, not interrupted, you know what I meant. At the end of TS 3.0 pen stops and you then promptly pop it up into the air

30. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 17:12:54

"It builds tension in the combo. It's like 'oooh something is going to happen here'. Are you familiar with building tension? You won't make a good novelist (or lover) if not. :lol:" I can attest to Iota's skills as a lover. Tbh I thought you were done after your thumb spin, and I voted on the basis of that. Having re watched the video, if I had seen the second half of the combo the first time around, I probably would have voted for Rees. For shame!

31. coffeelucky
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 17:30:56

Rees Difficulty 2/5 Creativity 1/5 Execution 3/5 Presentation 3/5 Total - 9 Mats Difficulty 1/5 Creativity 1/5 Execution 1/5 Presentation 1/5 Total - 4 My vote go for Rees.

32. Mats
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 17:35:02

Thanks for scoring it out @coffeelucky, but may I ask how my creativity is worth only 1?

33. coffeelucky
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 18:10:39

@Mats I find catching with middle is a bit creative, only a little bit, and nothing more than this.

34. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Mar 17 2013 19:03:41

2 tricks don't make a combo however cool they might be. I am just surprised Mats submitted.