UPSB v4

General Discussion / Slow Mo In Videos

1. neoknux_009
    Date: Tue, Feb 26 2013 09:38:55

LOL. I just wrote my mind away and then i realized it was closed. Sorry about making a seperate topic seems childish lol. But there were some comments directed at me that I feel I should respond to. [QUOTE=Mystic] I would totally agree with you, if this were a public presentation (spinning in front of people for real). But this is an online competition, therefore guidelines had to be set up in order to make one combo "better" than the other so there would be a winner. These guidelines push spinners to find the limits of pen spinning by finding and executing new things. [/QUOTE] Well To me I think a combo can be judged similarly as aestehically pleasing live or on camera (of course some other factors can still be taken into account) . I think you misunderstood me, im not against score cards, I just felt sometimes that combos are trying to appeal to the score cards, too formulaically. Like Im saying imagine if we judged the Oscars purely by using a score system by giving a picture a score for music, score for effects, score for acting etc. We cant... at least directly from points..thats not how it works. The score card is still good because its still a good guideline to show what spinners might improve on, and what they excel in. How its being used in the WT, is sometthing i cant determine for sure...but i just think a winner cant be determined, black and white/night and day by using a scorecard. [QUOTE=Eriror] The whole reason why I make videos like this is to be subtle, and you are saying that the complete idea of that style is wrong! [/QUOTE] I never said that. Your style, which ive seen grow and change for years, does not conflict with having good presentation. Perhaps if i use a different word... the "intention" of the 2 tricks in the combo was not clear, and this is very evident since MANY people share sentiment as I do. Just read your comments page. Thats the thing, its very rare for your intentions to be unclear, in fact your style is the very opposite of that. In this combo however the flow of the combo was interrupted. [QUOTE=Eriror] but I hope it's not because judges in a World Tournament are against watching videos in slow-motion because they think tricks should be obvious and flashy. [/QUOTE] And I also hope people have zero disregard to presentation and combo flow all because there IS slow motion. I dont think people will rate your video any less difficult tbh. Isuk has a similar if not worse problem with his video. I already said i think you should win. Slow mo is more against you in this case then for you. [QUOTE=A13x] but, to forbid slow motion, could give the advantages to slow speed spinners, and i really think that doing crazy hybrid linkages at the speed of sound is also part of the difficulty, [/QUOTE] Im not against slow motion completely. I think slow motion is great for people to learn, and even for judges to use, IF NECESSAARY. Im completely against judges being force fed a slow motion video, hoping to score better points. A seperate video is fine. I undersatnd a judge can "stop" the video at the slow-mo, but even Im drawn to watch the whole video after. Presentation and clarity is one of the major factors slow spinners have, which can balance out the flashy effect of fast spinners and not to mention their ability to stick in more material to improve their variety. By havng slow mo, judges MIGHT disregard this clarity advantage that slow spinners have had for years. @Ivabra with regards to execution: haha..well thats a matter of taste. i really like raeiks execution, and of course s777. I dont think anyon

2. padrace
    Date: Sat, Mar 9 2013 23:16:46

i think that if a judge or just any viewer is interested in a single trick or linkage and want to see it more clearly because it's really cool then the slowmo is a valuable tool. but i don't think judges or even just viewers should be influenced by the slowmo at all in their evaluation of the combo.