UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / morality archetype

1. spenpinner
    Date: Tue, Feb 26 2013 02:27:22

so me and digital had a long discussion. It boiled down to the argument of whether right and wrong really existed, or if it was relevant. My argument was that there are moral archetypes. Don't steal, love your neighbor, treat others like you would want to be treated, etc... Basically the ten commandments excluding the first five which talk about God. My back up to this is the example is that when you go against one of these rules it always leaves one person unhappy, which is why I think morality is not relevant. What do you guys think? EDIT: Yeah, this has nothing to do with pen spinning. I saw the word philosophy and I came running.

2. Mats
    Date: Tue, Feb 26 2013 02:57:34

spenpinner wrote: Basically the ten commandments excluding the first five which talk about God. My back up to this is the example is that when you go against one of these rules it always leaves one person unhappy, which is why I think morality is not relevant. What do you guys think?
    If you go against the rule of the sabbath, it does not necessarily make you unhappy. Coveting thy neighbours also doesn't seem to cause any harm, unless you are suffering from jealousy. :dunno: As for the question of right and wrong, they are a human invention and certainly do exist as a concept. Your question seems to be if morality is relevant? If we are to survive as a species, then yes it is. You cannot have a species existing if they have such a slow reproductive rate as our own and are completely immoral. Morality seems to be a requirement for both our initial evolution and the current sustaining of the system in which we currently live.
    my back up to this is the example is that when you go against one of these rules it always leaves one person unhappy, which is why I think morality is not relevant.
    i.e. You think unhappiness is good or at best irrelevant? :wtf:

3. LighT*
    Date: Tue, Feb 26 2013 04:03:30

im actually texting digital about it. i agree with him. my opinion is that morality dosent exist because anythig could be moral to us, if i kill a man (no i wouldent :P), and i think its right then simply its moral to me. and as for the comandments, few people follow them today. there hard to follow them.