UPSB v4

Off-topic / Singing

1. Enkronidus
    Date: Sat, Feb 16 2013 19:08:33

Does anyone here like to sing? Like hardcore singing, singing for your own pleasure and everything. :) Share your experience here! How good you are and the problems you have encountered. Also if you have videos of you singing, why don't you share and let us hear here.

2. ChainBreak
    Date: Sat, Feb 16 2013 19:12:29

I sing in my school choir for fun. Video would be weird since I only sing bass.

3. Demetrius
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 02:56:32

i have to sing "lift every voice and sing" for english class, but since my voice is pretty deep, a vid would be weird just as chainbreak said

4. King
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 03:19:38

I do a pretty good Louis Armstrong impression @Zkhan

5. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 03:23:23

Among other things ;)

6. Zkhan
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 03:40:57

According to @Xienix , I have the X factor...

7. JackyMacky
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 04:59:28

Zkhan wrote: According to @Xienix , I have the X factor...
    YES YOU DO. WE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT'S 3012 TONIGHT! WAAAAAAAAAA~~ xD Well, you can tell I love singing if you've seen my videos of songs parodied with pen spinning lyrics. ^_^ I like singing to myself but not to others. I'd rather rap than sing to other people. Yet, I hate rap. xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gUXukQu18I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_PvsWP3yk

8. Vortechs
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 05:43:56

I'm not so good but I sing and make music as a hobby aside from my electronic music... Here are some originals: https://soundcloud.com/oliverchenmusic/when-angels-fly-acoustic http://oliverchenmusic.bandcamp.com/track/i-miss-you-here-tonight annnnd a super embarassing vid of me and a friend singing/rapping why our school is awesome LOOOL xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgnSCoQl74Q umm problems would prob be that I don't have a very strong voice at times and my range needs improvement. Also my pitch needs practice cuz I get out of key alot ;) yeah thats about it...lol @JackyMacky LOL those vids r hilarious xD

9. Enkronidus
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:31:52

Your power is, in fact, glittering. :o @JackyMacky] [eg. like from D#/Eb to F] The original key of 'Boyfriend' is proper, I think all male can sing it with moderate effort, just try it! I had problem singing high notes before. Took me 1 year to 'find' my falsetto/headvoice and extra 1.5 years to be able to sing high notes. [before that I was singing bass because I unintelligently thought I did hit the right pitch] Even now, I still have trouble sustaining high notes for long period of time. I guess the cause is because I don't do exercises, so I get tired very quickly [like after 3 full songs and my power is all gone] Sleep and eating are extremely important factors too.

10. Leon[HKPSA]
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:43:06

Master @Enkronidus please teach me. I sing for my own pleasure, so I didn't care when i'm using the weirdest way to sing. I try to avoid falsetto though, because I sound like a half dead kitten.

11. Enkronidus
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 11:48:19

[QUOTE='Leon[HKPSA];248257']Master @Enkronidus please teach me. I sing for my own pleasure, so I didn't care when i'm using the weirdest way to sing. I try to avoid falsetto though, because I sound like a half dead kitten.[/QUOTE] Here's what I do when I sing [not 100% the right way but who defines 'right way' anyway + every teacher teaches differently so fuck it] 1. Stance and preparation - Stand up straight. If you have to sit, sit straight. Lower your shoulders[kinda like push them down, but don't force it], head position should be slightly upward - When you breath, what expands first is your stomach NOT your chest. [In musical term, I believe this is what they call 'Diaphragmatic breathing'] - Breath using your mouth and at the same time but very slightly, your nose. Some people will say that it is not possible to breath using those 2 at the same time, but try to 'imagine' that you inhale air as much as possible through your nose. 2. Projection - Relax every single part of your body except stomach. You must contract your stomach. This will serve as your support and act as, let's say, your dynamic, power and everything 2.1 When you sing - Stick out your tongue for very little bit - Pay attention to your mouth shape when you pronounce each word. You just have to find the perfect shape for each vowel/pronunciation. This also includes how wide you should open your mouth - Get the final consonant nailed. This reduces the chance of singing off notes. 2.1.1 Open Throat Singing - Some people suggest that you can mimic the mouth/throat position that you do when you yawn. Or open your fridge, stick your head in it and open your mouth, memorize that feeling. - My another tip is that try listening to some people who sing with an open throat. Whitney Houston, especially her second hook in 'I Will Always Love You' [Please turn up your volumn or you might not feel it] 1:46-2:03 [video=youtube;3JWTaaS7LdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU[/video] That part of the song is like my biggest inspiration for learning open throat singing. You can feel that her voice is 'open'. It's clean, it's pure, it's fascinating. Tips: - When I sing high notes, I try to imagine them as being far away from me, not above or higher. However, for some style of singing or personal preference, people rely on their head position to maintain their accuracy for hitting notes, it works effectively if you have to scream because lack of support or almost run out of air or sing a song/under condition that requires you to sing from your throat, or even when you have to fake your voice. - When you try to expand your vocal range. Start off by singing the note with falsetto or headtone first, then using your real voice. Don't scream or force your voice to come out. You will know that you scream when you hurt your throat/feel not comfortable/ or see vocal cord/lines/shit forming up around your throat. Avoid letting that happen. If you know you are tired, don't be hesitated to take a break. - Sip water everytime you have the chance. Just a small sip to let it nourish your vocal cord, don't drink too much - Try to record your voice using recording device. Why? Because sometimes when you sing off a note, you can't even notice it AND this way you can listen to your own voice, as in the voice that everyone else can hear you. The voice that you hear yourself is NOT what the others can hear. This is the best way and it helps you very much for your progress.

12. Vortechs
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 18:03:22

yehh i would sing higher but I need to work on increasing my range up there LOL the higher I go the more power I need to put behind my voice in order to sustain it... I just started to find my falsetto but I needs a loooot of work till i can consistently high the right notes

13. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Feb 24 2013 18:37:13

https://soundcloud.com/awesomedrifter/i-dont-mind

14. Enkronidus
    Date: Sat, Jun 15 2013 16:00:32

I have improved greatly since last time I posted here, woo! I'm able to open throat throughout the whole song now. It's actually pretty easy with some concentration. Can sing around 6 songs in a row before getting tired. [still need to improve] More tips: [from my own experience, these are practical and very helpful] - You know you use your diaphragm to breath when your stomach expands. To do this DO NOT move your shoulders up, but at the same time don't try to force them to stay down. They should stay still. I think it's all about these two parts, the stomach and shoulders. And your stomach should be rock solid when you touch or apply force from your hand to it. Don't flex your stomach like when you poo, it will work out naturally. - More about Open Throat: Just stay relax! I can do it almost perfectly now. [only problem is my voice is not crystal clear, probably need to change eating habits orz] There is not much of an adjustment to it, like you don't have to force anything much. What you have to do is inhale, get a lot of air, then the way to exhale [sing] should feel the same way as when you inhale. You should feel that "Super open feeling". It only works effectively WITH diaphragmatic breathing technique. When you sing, just let it flow out comfortably, almost same feeling as when you whisper but sing it louder. Hard to explain but once you get the hang of it, you'll get it all of the time. It really helps a lot when you hit higher notes, your voice will be much louder with better quality. No sorethroat at all. I might try to record something when I have a good recording device. Hmph.

15. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sat, Jun 15 2013 22:39:23

[video=youtube;uAr-oHRgHU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAr-oHRgHU8[/video] its shit sorry I have no recording tools besides this headset and I can't sing this song up an octave like its supposed to be. can't help being a bass singer (C2-C4) I gave no regards to open throat singing, posture, diction, tempo, intonation or tone because I just wanted to make a video at the time lul For some reason I have trouble with intonation when I learn a song without sheet music, but I have somewhat strong relative pitch. I sing in a men's only choir at my school that meets once a week, and I plan to take an advanced choir class in school during my senior year to perfect my diction and vibrato. (I'll be one of two bass singers in the choir)

16. Tentcell
    Date: Sun, Jun 16 2013 01:16:55

I go hard in the booth on the daily

17. Enkronidus
    Date: Sun, Jun 16 2013 01:58:13

Get a program called Audacity; You can adjust the pitch to your liking, so it's extremely useful when you work on your range or find a suitable key Found this video a few weeks ago, it's pretty cool [video=youtube;eWLWOSgYlG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWLWOSgYlG8[/video]

18. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Mon, Jun 17 2013 09:07:18

I have no clue how to use audacity besides merging audio clips together lolol

19. Enkronidus
    Date: Mon, Jun 17 2013 09:22:48

MightAsWellGG wrote: I have no clue how to use audacity besides merging audio clips together lolol
    Import a song then Effect -> Change Pitch... -> then adjust Now if you use female song, usually it will be -3 to -5 [check out the Semi-tones (half steps) thing below] but of course, could be more or less or no need at all. You just need to find your comfort zone.

20. Enkronidus
    Date: Mon, Jun 17 2013 16:15:01

[video=youtube;f9U3P12ChDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9U3P12ChDs[/video] Dedicated to everyone. Sorry about the last hook and the crappy quality xD

21. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Tue, Aug 20 2013 01:44:41

Taeyeon - Closer Danny Boy did i do good dis time

22. entertdr
    Date: Fri, Aug 23 2013 14:09:32

oh hello, just found this thread thought id throw some stuff me and some friends threw together [video=youtube;4v-a0rYYiqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v-a0rYYiqA[/video]