UPSB v4

Presentation / Public Spinning Patterns

1. Shiftyei
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 16:09:12

So! I spin a lot at school and in public and I've noticed a ton of patterns that the "crowd" does. -If you drop the pen and they pick it up for you, they seem to be more comfortable to watch it, they seem more comfortable to approach you about penspinning. "How do you do that" is one of the comments I get most when I drop it and someone picks it up for me. -The people who tend to approach me about it (at least, from what I've observed) are the people who are very confident in themselves or are the popular turds -The people who try penspinning from merely looking at me penspin tend to be popular turds (Oh, and when I mean popular turds, I mean people that are popular that act like actual turds, e.g. they are mean/narcisistic/turdy). -Friendly people usually say something like, "That's really cool =D How long did it take you to do something like that?" Anyway, that's just some things I've noticed about the crowd. Have any of you noticed anything of the crowd, besides these =o?

2. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 16:47:43

I think it's a bit narcissistic to call them turds. In middleschool I guess more extroverted kids would be the ones who would approach interested, but I became friends with most of them, and some of them were just into object manipulation in general. A lot of people think there's a "trick" to pen spinning and most people think they could never do it. It's also funny to see people who are too afraid to ask but see you spinning try it out for themselves and fail. TO be honest though, people usually become less confident about just coming up and asking in Highschool, I'm not sure what that says about developmental psychology, but it's just an observation.

3. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 16:59:47

Most likely thing is when you drop it they will pick it up and pretend to spin like it's the joke of the century, spazzing their hand out. It's funny for them but annoying when it happens daily by people who think it's new.

4. Shiftyei
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 17:53:21

@Shoe I've always wondered how the proper way to respond to them is. =( Usually, when I say that I've been spinning for maybe a year, they seem discouraged at trying; or if they try the thumbaround and drop it on the first try (Which is very feasable) they think it's a prophecy that they will never be able to spin. @Euro When people do things like that, I find it funny =) But that's probably because it happens very rarely to me.

5. Reason
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 20:28:19

i always get the "how did you do that?" thing. often i will just give them a stupid story like "i jerked off a wizard", but obviously its hard to answer so i just say the internet :P. the (public) place i spin most often is school and its kindergarten-12th grade and only 300 students over all so pretty much everyone knows me as "that kid that does the pen thing". Ive had a few people ask me to teach them and some were pretty successful in learning several trick, but most gave up fast. then there are people who are simply fascinated by it and request that i spin for their delight. i always enjoy when someone new takes interest in it though... maybe its a bit conceded, but i find it flattering. over time i stopped trying to show off and started improving for my own entertainment, so if someone gives me a compliment it is just a bonus :D. of course this also means attracting people who i dont care to talk to, but thats what i get for spinning in public. sorry if i didnt help at all, just trying to explain what i have observed.

6. Quake
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 20:49:56

shoeman6 wrote: It's also funny to see people who are too afraid to ask but see you spinning try it out for themselves and fail.
    Lol that happened a couple days ago. I saw a guy try to spin, fail, and drop his pencil on the ground. When i walked over to him and offered him my mod, he's like, "Dafuq, why would I want that? I'm not trying to spin it." ... Like, dude, I just saw you attempt to spin. Don't give me that bull. :facepalm: Still makes me laugh though.

7. LighT*
    Date: Thu, Feb 14 2013 23:58:03

that has all hapend to me and still does.

8. utkarsh
    Date: Fri, Feb 15 2013 09:57:06

I don't know what people think about when I spin in front of them. I just know what is that if people find it fun they will seriously interact or try to approach you. What people like is just aerials and normal tricks don't attract that much. Learn power to attract them. :D

9. Walkaz
    Date: Fri, Feb 15 2013 13:09:47

i am a product of a successful public pen spinning performance by hax and elijah( a guy in my french class ) saw eli doing cont ta harmonic was a buster was the most magical thing to me came up and asked him to teach,after 22months im extra active on upsb and vpc now B)

10. PERSIST
    Date: Sat, Feb 16 2013 06:19:37

I spin at school a lot, and I always yell in my head: "PRACTICE, YOU MORON!" But I can never practice, I know that if I keep excecuting the same combos every day I'll get bored and retire in a heartbeat, and practicing is what I should be doing (I have about 10 tricks I want to tackle down atm), but I can't help it, I always have to excecute in front of people. I guess I just don't want them to see me drop my pen. And yeah, it's really annoying when people run up to me, tear open my bag, pull a random mod (I don't even know how they get the right pocket EVERYTIME, i'm not even kidding, after the talent show, EVERYONE knows exactly where I put my mods in my bag), and start running around school with it, occasionally throwing it and/or taking it apart and handing it back to me later in pieces. I can feel the eyes of girls on me when this happens and then I feel like vanishing on the spot. And it's really the most annoying thing when people think they can instantly power trick and when they fail they wail "HOW DO U DO THAT?" How am I supposed to explain pen spinning to some arrogant creep with no respect for other peopke's property?! ....And that's my flame on non-spinners thinking they are spinners. [B]Now, back on topic[/B], I always spin combos in public that I've finalized, I can't freestyle without dropping the pen over 9000 times, so I make the combos at home (I make a new combo every 4 months.... maybe not, but I'm sure I take longer to make combos than anyone on UPSB), and execute them at school, which is the only public place I spin.

11. Mats
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 04:19:13

Basically, people are generally impressed and some will have a go. Occasionally, you get some fool who calls it gay or lame or something and then life moves on.

12. Sequiture
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 04:36:41

Nobody has really approached me yet, but I'm hoping they will once I get better. I've seen some attempt it themselves.

13. BriGuyC
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 17:07:55

In my school some people are impressed by my nooby pen spinning skills while others don't really notice.

14. Gash
    Date: Sun, Feb 17 2013 18:48:36

I spin so much, every day that my classmates couldn't even care lmao. However, the younger year levels are amazed when i spin at break time lol.

15. Ventus
    Date: Mon, Feb 18 2013 02:36:12

I spin in class regularly and actually helped popularized it in my school. There's plenty of established spinners now, with many owning actual mods like Waterfalls, MXs, and even Penz Gear. Often other students approach me showing me what they've learned or what I think they should learn next. It's pretty cool.

16. exile_vindicator
    Date: Thu, Feb 21 2013 15:33:12

I spin a lot in class, even when the teacher is blabbering in front of the class lol. I'm still a beginner and the only thing i can i do is mini combo, but when people sees me playing they were all. "How did you do that?" well i said, i learned a lot from watching the video over and over again. Well, some people amaze some people just meh like the girls, well maybe think this is lame but whatever :D I do spin in my break time while walking to the canteen and my junior gllazed their eye upon me, but when the pen falls i started to run to catch the pen and it's helluva troublesome lol Yeah at first i was really nervous but then you'll get used to it :D

17. [TGN]
    Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 12:07:33

I usually don't spin in public because I don't like attracting attention D: @Pixels does it everywhere though.

18. Obstracized
    Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 12:41:48

I spent most of my Pen Spinning Time in School and at Home. I spin at School with my Small Circle of Friends, who had seen me Spinning since last year, so my Spinning is like Second Nature to them. Usually, we sit around a Table to discuss about School, Homework, Etc. But, as for me, I just took out my Mod and spun like nobody's business. Last Year, I was a "Hit" in School for being the only Student who can do other Tricks other than ThumbAround, Sonic, FingerPass and Charge. That attracted [B]Too Much[/B] Attention, and that made me to spin only among my Circle of Friends. I had a few Students saying "How did you do that?". "Internet." was my reply to them. I taught a few of them Basic Tricks like Twisted Sonic, Double Charge, Etc. Most gave up after One to Two Tries, but only Two did not. These Two aren't Spinning as Seriously as I am, only doing it out for Fun or just another Sleep-Prevention Method in the Tests and Exams. As Months Past, I was a "Hit" no more in School, and a Normal Student, who can do things that Ordinary People can't without Practice. And, I am glad to stay it this way. In my Opinion, in my School, I think there are not more than 10 Actual Pen Spinners who actually bothered Practicing this Interest. Occasionally, some people still asks me to show them Tricks/Combos, and I did. I think that they aren't interested in learning Pen Spinning, but only in watching Pen Spinning being Executed. Thank you for reading my Pen Spinning "Life". Have a Good Day. - Obstracized™

19. i.suk
    Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 13:09:53

people just look for a few seconds, then keep going to do whatever they were intending to do -._-. some comment 'wow, that's amazing' or stuff like that, but not much else happens xD

20. Pixels
    Date: Fri, Feb 22 2013 14:26:24

[QUOTE='[TGN];248846']I usually don't spin in public because I don't like attracting attention D: @Pixels does it everywhere though.[/QUOTE] LOL i do it only when someone is around. if not too weird :3

21. Xitra
    Date: Wed, Feb 27 2013 06:04:51

Nearly everyone just walks past me... 슬픈. ._. The ones that approach me just sit down in front of me and they STARE.... For up to even half an hour...

22. blacke kat
    Date: Sun, Mar 2 2014 08:41:37

Utkarsh wrote: I don't know what people think about when I spin in front of them. I just know what is that if people find it fun they will seriously interact or try to approach you. What people like is just aerials and normal tricks don't attract that much. Learn power to attract them. :D
    i can do power but most people don't understand the difference or how difficult it is. sometimes people are really impressed when i do middle spreads though.

23. kchspinna16
    Date: Sun, Mar 2 2014 13:21:36

ah, this, i started a year ago, based on tutorials by KTrihn93 and Supervvalrus. My response "How (dafuq) did you do that???" is usually Youtube, then they would be pissed off, because people asks me this question almost on a daily basis. Why would u bring more than one mod to school? you'd lost it. Now i only spin MXs in school, i mean, it looks normal enough!? weird thing tho, ppl thinks Double Charge is ultra cool, but when i do a flush sonic (simultaneously flipping at the teacher) NOBODY even moved a muscle. it seems to me that they are more impressed with double charge than flush sonic (jsut an example). But yeah, i practice spam combos at school and public places.

24. ShadowParadox
    Date: Mon, Mar 3 2014 11:29:02

If u do power tricks everyone, will be mindfucked

25. Monk
    Date: Tue, Mar 4 2014 15:14:08

I do hybrid and fingerless moves of well known tricks (e.g. Fake double, fingerless TA, etc.) in public, and everyone becomes really impressed.

26. Dern Goid
    Date: Wed, Mar 5 2014 00:27:07

I don't generally like to spin in public. I am not an attention whore xD . In fact I kinda don't like to draw too much attention to myself. Also, I feel like a showoff, and I hate show offs ¬¬'

27. Zen
    Date: Thu, Mar 6 2014 20:28:20

For whatever reason, i see that people are more interested with things like the charge and a really smooth fingerpass. sigh, they just don't understand the dedication to this sport. But they will, oh they will soon........

28. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Mar 8 2014 13:37:56

People showing off basic tricks can be quite tiresome. No, I do not want to watch your ability to do a TA now that you've learnt it. You've been doing it for 4 months, I do not care.

29. i.suk
    Date: Sun, Mar 9 2014 08:13:32

Ceru Seiyu wrote: No, I do not want to watch your ability to do a TA now that you've learnt it. You've been doing it for 4 months, I do not care.
    I can only do thumbaround

30. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:20:48

i.suk wrote: I can only do thumbaround
    omg

31. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:49:26

Ceru Seiyu wrote: People showing off basic tricks can be quite tiresome. No, I do not want to watch your ability to do a TA now that you've learnt it. You've been doing it for 4 months, I do not care.
    Maybe u should teach them the reverse so they can do tha for another 4 months

32. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Mar 9 2014 11:33:53

ShadowParadox wrote: Maybe u should teach them the reverse so they can do tha for another 4 months
    Tried, he gave up.

33. TurbulentTurtle
    Date: Tue, Mar 11 2014 20:38:50

I remember when I used to think I was the shit for knowing how to do stuff. You guys should be a bit more humble. But then again, high school......

34. Zen
    Date: Tue, Mar 11 2014 21:01:49

Screw humble, just go all out, these high school fiends don't know art if it came up and farted in their face. There are a few people who maybe appreciate it. But the rest? Complete a$$es. Just do some are aerials and they will see. The true beauty.

35. TurbulentTurtle
    Date: Wed, Mar 12 2014 03:16:59

Zen wrote: Screw humble, just go all out, these high school fiends don't know art if it came up and farted in their face. There are a few people who maybe appreciate it. But the rest? Complete a$$es. Just do some are aerials and they will see. The true beauty.
    Yup, I used to be like that. I grew up and realized I'm an idiot just like everyone else.

36. Zen
    Date: Wed, Mar 12 2014 20:49:10

TurbulentTurtle wrote: Yup, I used to be like that. I grew up and realized I'm an idiot just like everyone else.
    Lol coming from you that is a compliment; awesome to see you active once in while, i have only read about you. Anyway "Public Spinning" differs from what you are doing. For example if you are "busking" or street preforming then it is imperative to get that "wow" factor across to the onlookers. This is hard however, because a wow factor cannot be achieved easily with pen spinning, which is why you do not see people trying this on the streets. (That and also the fact pen spinning is kind of focused on a small percentage of the world, UPSB has about 6000 members). I believe @JackyMacky have some experience busking and actually tried pen spinning. If you are just doing it in your school (as in high school), then it is considerably easier. The minds of some individuals can be manipulated very quickly with little to no effort of all. Everyone is always trying to "fit in". It also helps if you have friends. However whether or not pen spinning spreads, it can be considered as both "good and bad" (Schrodinger's Cat). If we spread pen spinning then that wow factor for us dissipates. But if we let it advance then we have more people and more styles. We will expand the idea of pen spinning. Eh my two cents. Regards Zen

37. JackyMacky
    Date: Thu, Mar 13 2014 02:06:04

@Zen We've never busked.

38. Monk
    Date: Thu, Mar 13 2014 21:02:20

i.suk wrote: I can only do thumbaround
    you must do really weird thumbarounds

39. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Mar 23 2014 18:38:18

Monk wrote: you must do really weird thumbarounds
    I think he means only 5000 palm down ta's

40. Wind
    Date: Sun, Mar 30 2014 07:17:18

Just thumbaround, charges and sonics.

41. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Mar 30 2014 08:49:09

People are just weird in my school: palmspin -> fl ta= -.-. Double charge = OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

42. fang
    Date: Sun, Mar 30 2014 11:05:28

I personally don't care about people seeing me spin. Even if they are looking interested. It's not I am rude to them or something, but it's the same when I am drawing, I normally spin or draw only when I just want some time alone.

43. Shiftyei
    Date: Mon, Apr 7 2014 15:10:48

@ShadowParadox They just don't know the difficulty of anything. A TA to air seems just as hard as a spread to them

44. [TGN]
    Date: Sun, Apr 20 2014 10:41:19

if (pen_in_air==true) { cheer(); }

45. ShadowParadox
    Date: Sun, Apr 20 2014 10:46:30

[QUOTE='[TGN];280949']if (pen_in_air==true) { cheer(); }[/QUOTE] Lol [TGN] else { Silence(); }

46. Vektor
    Date: Tue, Apr 29 2014 06:01:10

well i generall dont spin in public. But sometimes i spin in playground or in front of my cousins. They are like, 'woaahh!!!' but just watch silently and after some time go to their work. Two of my cousins showed interest and i tried to teach them sonic and ta but after 5-6 tries they gave up and started doing anything of their own(which is shaking the pen not spinning it). Why do people think that they can do tricks in one go????

47. Manman!
    Date: Mon, May 12 2014 00:06:40

My classmates here would go "How did you that" and then I replied with "Magic" but yeah they were shocked XD

48. Zen
    Date: Mon, May 12 2014 01:53:31

Spinner_Zap wrote: well i generall dont spin in public. But sometimes i spin in playground or in front of my cousins. They are like, 'woaahh!!!' but just watch silently and after some time go to their work. Two of my cousins showed interest and i tried to teach them sonic and ta but after 5-6 tries they gave up and started doing anything of their own(which is shaking the pen not spinning it). Why do people think that they can do tricks in one go????
    Probably because you can do it in one go :) Try teaching them again. It would be nice to have more spinners from India

49. Monk
    Date: Wed, May 14 2014 20:47:02

Well, today, I had an interview. While I saw waiting in the guidance room, I pen spun. My guidance counselor saw that and was interested. I explained some fundamental information to him and he told the interview what I did. When it was time for my interview, he told me to "do my thing", so I did a combo. He was impressed. So I guess it depends on the types of people, and how wide-minded they are.

50. Voracity
    Date: Thu, May 15 2014 11:16:36

People judge too easily in Singapore, thats why i dont usually spin outdoors

51. Infiknight
    Date: Wed, Jun 11 2014 03:41:58

Voracity wrote: People judge too easily in Singapore, thats why i dont usually spin outdoors
    Precisely... :(

52. Lito
    Date: Sat, Sep 20 2014 14:24:28

I usually get comments like why is it called penspinning if it doesn't write? T_T

53. Monk
    Date: Sat, Sep 20 2014 15:31:58

Lito wrote: I usually get comments like why is it called penspinning if it doesn't write? T_T
    "so you bought a pen that doesn't write?"

54. Lito
    Date: Mon, Sep 22 2014 05:23:58

Monk wrote: "so you bought a pen that doesn't write?"
    yep, for around 15-20 bucks -me XD then you start spinning and they're like OMG WHERE DID YOU LEARN THAT???

55. Monk
    Date: Mon, Sep 22 2014 10:03:54

Lito wrote: yep, for around 15-20 bucks -me XD then you start spinning and they're like OMG WHERE DID YOU LEARN THAT???
    i don't like spinning in public, but my hands end up itching to do something

56. Nick
    Date: Mon, Sep 22 2014 20:36:55

Monk wrote: i don't like spinning in public, but my hands end up itching to do something
    Yeah I like spinning but if I ever drop it in public people are like "wtf"

57. Lito
    Date: Tue, Sep 23 2014 05:03:51

especially when it rolls away and you have to awkwardly walk over to grab it

58. AfroSquared
    Date: Tue, Sep 23 2014 15:43:52

Lito wrote: especially when it rolls away and you have to awkwardly walk over to grab it
    Happened so many times to me

59. m1ch1
    Date: Wed, Sep 24 2014 11:23:33

and then the people say : "i think you need more pratice". that's really annoying

60. M&MxD*
    Date: Sat, Sep 27 2014 12:47:55

some people said that pen spinning is only for a child .. -_- but they don't know how hard to manipulate pens ....wahaha

61. Nick
    Date: Sat, Sep 27 2014 16:19:21

m1ch1 wrote: and then the people say : "i think you need more pratice". that's really annoying
    And then you hang them with their own intestines :)

62. m1ch1
    Date: Sun, Sep 28 2014 11:32:44

Nick wrote: And then you hang them with their own intestines :)
    no.
    SpoilerFirst i stab their eyes with a dr. grip tipped mod And then i hang them with their own intestines

63. Nick
    Date: Sun, Sep 28 2014 14:20:36

m1ch1 wrote: First i stab their eyes with a dr. grip tipped mod And then i hang them with their own intestines
    oh, of course, silly me

64. MPC
    Date: Thu, Oct 30 2014 06:34:50

Back on topic: In the UK pen spinning is spookily invisible. I can sit in my office at work, talking to someone, then spontaneously do a perfect symbak and they don't even notice. It's not like they notice, but find it unremarkable. It's weird. But no generally I don't spin in public. Brits just don't get it. mpc

65. ShadowParadox
    Date: Thu, Oct 30 2014 08:47:29

MPC wrote: Back on topic: In the UK pen spinning is spookily invisible. I can sit in my office at work, talking to someone, then spontaneously do a perfect symbak and they don't even notice. It's not like they notice, but find it unremarkable. It's weird. But no generally I don't spin in public. Brits just don't get it. mpc
    No. U see what people ive talked to tell me. This is especially in adults is that they dont want to notice you doing pen spinning. They dont like the fact that you can do something they cant and are jealous at the sight of it. However they do not react because then it would give you recognition and make you seem better than them when in truth all they want is to be better than you. Like i said this is mainly in adults as kids in myschool embrace pen spinning but my teachers, although some are intrigued, others tell me to stop "swivelling your pens". P.s deep down inside im always like "its fucking spinning you nonce."

66. AfroSquared
    Date: Thu, Oct 30 2014 09:40:52

ShadowParadox wrote: No. U see what people ive talked to tell me. This is especially in adults is that they dont want to notice you doing pen spinning. They dont like the fact that you can do something they cant and are jealous at the sight of it. However they do not react because then it would give you recognition and make you seem better than them when in truth all they want is to be better than you. Like i said this is mainly in adults as kids in myschool embrace pen spinning but my teachers, although some are intrigued, others tell me to stop "swivelling your pens". P.s deep down inside im always like "its fucking spinning you nonce."
    Same with my school. last week my teacher said '' shall i move you because you're distracting people by playing with your pen'' he f*cking said PLAYING, he made me seem like a child. I then got moved and while i was walking to my new place, i did 6 pinky spreads and i said under my breath ''does this look like playing'' *kiss my teeth* and then some girl said that was awesome <3 XD Kyaaaaa ~ Anyway, all my friends think pen spinning is stupd and gay and they disembodied my mx. But i'm spinning in class they ALL try and copy me. It is sooooo annoying.

67. Archangel24
    Date: Fri, Nov 7 2014 17:28:07

I actually got into spinning from watching someone else spin a lot in class a couple years ago. We never really talked much and I never asked how he did it. I just broke down the motions and analyzed it from a physics p.o.v. to figure out what needed to be done to accomplish the tricks. I'm not even close to being as good as him and a couple others at my school but nonetheless, it has helped me make a couple acquaintances and a friend. As for my other friends, they think it's nerdy. My mom says that it's just like baton twirling but with pens. People at my school ask how I do it, same in public and I just tell them that it's because I'm Asian. When I loan my mods out to people to write something down when I'm working as a cashier, they get perplexed at how to use them. All in all, pen spinners have talented fingers, giggity.

68. OPdelivers
    Date: Mon, Nov 24 2014 21:03:59

Theres a few people in my chemistry class who I wouldn't say make fun of me for psing but rather think it's stupid and silly and my lab partner goes as far as to try to ps and fail utterly like its supposed to be funny or something like that. At any rate, I'm glad that I have friends who ps as well. :) EDIT: gotta agree with Afro, shit like that pisses me off.