UPSB v4

Serious Discussion / Tipping

1. Tialys
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 16:31:02

[video=youtube;V4sbYy0WdGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ[/video] What are your views on tipping? Do you consider it an obligation or something optional? How much are you willing to tip? For what services are you willing to tip? Do you agree with a "mandatory gratuity" for a large party at a restaurant? I normally tip around 15%. Talking strictly restaurants: if the service is very good or exceptional then I may tip 20%, but I don't tip below 15% even when the service is poor. I don't agree with the large-party gratuity and think it's excessive given that everyone at the table is already tipping. I think it would be a good idea to eliminate tipping and instead adjust the price of the service accordingly. Given that tips are considered taxable income, it makes more sense to me to increase wages instead of relying on tips. Thoughts?

2. Zombo
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 16:53:50

10% if asian restaurant 15% if western if gratuity included then 0% tipping is supposed to be incentive for the waiter, like a commission. the problem is that tipping can be affected by arbitrary events outside of the control of the waiter: eg. poor quality of food, lack of spare change for the diner, etc. [video=youtube;twnEWSfDjFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twnEWSfDjFY[/video]

3. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 17:47:04

lol no tipping in iranian restaurants Only if its a really good restaurant and you order a lot. :P

4. spenpinner
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 18:34:59

EDIT: sorry Tialys. I was on my ipad at the time and didnt see that you posted the same video.

5. Mats
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 19:07:19

I think tipping is a good thing and it should always be optional. I usually tip about 10%. I give a bigger tip if I think the person was awesome and I sometimes tell them they were awesome too. I generally only tip in restaurants. I don't really end up in situations in which it is appropriate to tip otherwise (I rarely go out). Do you agree with a "mandatory gratuity" for a large party at a restaurant? No. The party will probably tip anyway and it's a great thing for the restaurant to have such a large group in.

6. Tommy
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 20:15:51

Lol, no tipping where im from

7. LighT*
    Date: Tue, Feb 5 2013 21:24:51

I tip if the person is really nice and the service was good. I dont remember how much i ussaly do but i use a tip calculator and make sure it is right. I ussaly have fun convo's with the waiter and or waitress.

8. Quake
    Date: Wed, Feb 6 2013 07:22:59

My rule for tipping is that I tip at the restaurant if the service was good. Even if the food is complete crap, if the service was above average, I will tip. That is how it is.

9. EffecT
    Date: Wed, Feb 6 2013 09:50:24

no tipping on my area =(

10. Twine
    Date: Wed, Feb 6 2013 10:55:58

No tipping in New Zealand and I'm glad; it's a stupid concept. Although if I did particularly enjoy the service I may tip a small amount. Seriously America and co, just pay your staff.

11. Mats
    Date: Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:50:58

Twine wrote: No tipping in New Zealand and I'm glad; it's a stupid concept. Although if I did particularly enjoy the service I may tip a small amount. Seriously America and co, just pay your staff.
    The pay in your country is pretty much the same as UK pay. :dunno:

12. ChainBreak
    Date: Wed, Feb 6 2013 13:13:51

I usually tip to make the amount I pay round so I don't have as much coins in my pocket. I think it's just an act of friendliness for the waiter. Since I know some people who work as waiter/waitress I know that the tips do make a noicable difference in the overall income so I usually tend to tip.

13. SJ
    Date: Sun, Feb 10 2013 06:20:38

usually 15% in restaurants. 10% if bad, 20% if really good. i wish US didnt have this tip culture.....quite hard on the wallet and calculating it gets annoying. i hate it when idk whether to leave tip at some places...like california fish grill, souplantation etc

14. UEDan
    Date: Sun, Feb 10 2013 09:42:46

My friend actually showed me that scene and called me Mr.Pink after I told him of my ways. I don't tip, I will tip if the service was VERY good and I mean VERY good. 1. In California it's illegal for businesses to pay below minimum wage and have tips average it out. They get their pay regardless. 2. You don't tip the post man, your mechanic, your IT guy or really anyone else. Why the hell should we tip waiters? 3. If you want better pay, don't work in a fucking restaurant. 4. I work my ass off for my money too, I'm not gonna give it away. Its gratuity, not mandatory.

15. SJ
    Date: Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:43:33

who came up with the concept of tipping anyway? goddamn

16. Chobi
    Date: Sun, Feb 10 2013 12:16:26

Tipping by percentage doesn't exist here in my country, you just give how much you want. If service charge is included, people normally don't tip anymore.

17. Llama
    Date: Sun, May 19 2013 12:25:19

In Singapore, we have automatic 7% good service tax.no more tipping hassle

18. Pixels
    Date: Sun, May 19 2013 12:34:57

Llama wrote: In Singapore, we have automatic 7% good service tax.no more tipping hassle
    Wrong Concept. The 7% government service tax is for the government... Normally tipping is for the waiter. This is covered from a separate service tax. So in the sense, we pay both.

19. Loanshark
    Date: Sun, Jun 9 2013 12:32:31

Fucking hate the tipping culture in North America, especially the idea that tipping is mandatory. Plenty of times when I go out to eat, whether it's with friends or by myself, tip gets automatically added into the check and it drives me up the fucking wall. Makes me not want to tip altogether regardless of the service. It's supposed to be an incentive for servers to perform better, not extra money they're automatically given just because they do what they're supposed to do. And the % based tipping is pretty stupid too. Fuck you if you think that I need to pay at least 15% in tips. As said before, tipping is supposed to be an incentive, it's completely optional, so therefore if I decide to tip, I damn well will tip however much I want. Usually, if the service is good enough to tip and the check comes out to something like $41, I'll give the guy $50 and tell him to keep the change; I don't really want to deal with the hassle of change, and I like paying in nice, round numbers. But, if the check comes out to $48, whelp, all you're getting is $2 extra. I am not gonna be paying more than that $50 bill. I work hard for my money, just like you. tl;dr Don't tell me when or how to tip, I do what I want.

20. miyat
    Date: Wed, Jun 12 2013 17:50:26

I tip around the same as the tax. Yeah tipping sucks, but so does being a waiter.

21. shoeman6
    Date: Wed, Jun 12 2013 19:01:22

I will tip 10% max, call me cheap, but I am cheap. Edit: Actually, after reading some things online about tipping, especially from the servers point of view, I don't think I'll be tipping anymore, at all. Yeah the industry is hard / bad, but why the fuck are you trying to sound so entitled? I know plenty of worse jobs that make minimum wage, shitty hours, and don't get, or expect tips. Being bitches (spitting in food, retributive "bad" service) about it isn't winning you my favour either. If you do a shitty job, I don't ask you to give me money back do I? And the time I'm spending in your restaurant I'm not making money if I'm working an hourly waged job. Get over yourself, do your job and quit whining. Also, you never know how the tip is used or distributed. I know a few restaurants where I go to school, where the owners illegally take the tips at the end of the day, and it all winds up in the same place. TLDR?: 1. Don't tip

22. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Jun 12 2013 19:49:49

No tipping, full stop, you don't need that shit to live, don't bullshit me.

23. Iota
    Date: Wed, Jun 12 2013 23:14:48

shoeman6 wrote: I will tip 10% max, call me cheap, but I am cheap. Edit: Actually, after reading some things online about tipping, especially from the servers point of view, I don't think I'll be tipping anymore, at all. Yeah the industry is hard / bad, but why the fuck are you trying to sound so entitled? I know plenty of worse jobs that make minimum wage, shitty hours, and don't get, or expect tips. Being bitches (spitting in food, retributive "bad" service) about it isn't winning you my favour either. If you do a shitty job, I don't ask you to give me money back do I? And the time I'm spending in your restaurant I'm not making money if I'm working an hourly waged job. Get over yourself, do your job and quit whining. Also, you never know how the tip is used or distributed. I know a few restaurants where I go to school, where the owners illegally take the tips at the end of the day, and it all winds up in the same place. TLDR?: 1. Don't tip
    That's fucked up man, you realize that for many waiters/waitresses tips make up a large part of their salary? In fact, it's legal in many states for servers to be paid much less than minimum wage on the basis that tip credits will on average make up the difference such that their pay including tips will amount to minimum wage or more. Even when this isn't allowed, the minimum wage in most states is around $7.75 an hour, and most servers don't make more than $10 an hour. Many waiters/waitresses actually do that for a living, that or they do it part-time in order to pay for school; do you really think that $7-10/hour is a large enough yearly salary to support oneself properly given car/insurance/school expenses? The average yearly is something like $20,000 dude, that includes tips and it still isn't very much at all. For servers tips actually constitute a major portion of their pay, if you're thinking of it as a courtesy for you to tip them then you don't understand the job. But if you're going to be a dick and tip 10% (20-25% is standard now, 15% is probably fine for a college kid that doesn't have a ton of money, but 10% is insulting and basically saying you felt you had shitty service) you might as well just go full asshole and not tip at all. http://work.chron.com/pay-scale-salary-waiter-3690.html

24. ChainBreak
    Date: Wed, Jun 12 2013 23:46:53

eurocracy wrote: No tipping, full stop, you don't need that shit to live, don't bullshit me.
    England is different. The prices are so high that tips aren't needed. In other countries however, the prices are kept lower and tips are pretty much a necessity.

25. Quake
    Date: Thu, Jun 13 2013 00:32:48

If the waiter gives good service and takes care of me, I'll tip. The better the service, the better the tip. It's tip etiquette.

26. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Jun 13 2013 00:56:25

Iota wrote: That's fucked up man, you realize that for many waiters/waitresses tips make up a large part of their salary? In fact, it's legal in many states for servers to be paid much less than minimum wage on the basis that tip credits will on average make up the difference such that their pay including tips will amount to minimum wage or more. Even when this isn't allowed, the minimum wage in most states is around $7.75 an hour, and most servers don't make more than $10 an hour. Many waiters/waitresses actually do that for a living, that or they do it part-time in order to pay for school; do you really think that $7-10/hour is a large enough yearly salary to support oneself properly given car/insurance/school expenses? The average yearly is something like $20,000 dude, that includes tips and it still isn't very much at all. For servers tips actually constitute a major portion of their pay, if you're thinking of it as a courtesy for you to tip them then you don't understand the job. But if you're going to be a dick and tip 10% (20-25% is standard now, 15% is probably fine for a college kid that doesn't have a ton of money, but 10% is insulting and basically saying you felt you had shitty service) you might as well just go full asshole and not tip at all. http://work.chron.com/pay-scale-salary-waiter-3690.html
    Did you actually read my post? I know plenty of jobs that pay minimum wage without the possibility of going over $10 (unless you've worked there for several years) that people work to support, or to help pay for schooling expenses. They don't get tips, and have similar jobs. (Preparing food, serving food through a different medium, janitorial work. or assistance). I don't tip them money. I tip for deliveries, that's a service, but if you expect me to pay you $5 to take my food from the front of the room across the room, to me? I'd rather get up and get it myself thanks. BTW minimum wage where I am is ~$7.25, which is less than 7.75 and a lot of jobs are minimum wage.

27. sopi
    Date: Thu, Jun 13 2013 01:35:09

i only tip if the service and the food was good.

28. uniacto
    Date: Thu, Jun 13 2013 02:01:39

sopi wrote: i only tip if the service and the food was good.
    waiters can't help it if the food wasn't good though

29. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Jun 13 2013 03:22:17

To be fair, I used to tip, even really shitty servers (most of the time). But after reading more about it today I don't think I will... Seriously it appears as though servers feel entitled to free / extra money. Which they aren't. Boohoo, someone didn't give me money, go work on the streets if that's what you want. (A lot of beggars make more than $7 an hour)

30. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Jun 13 2013 05:17:32

I tip since its socially expected, but I don't agree with it. Personally a few extra bucks is worth not looking stingy imo.

31. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Jun 13 2013 06:22:33

15% is non-chinese 10% in chinese

32. Tialys
    Date: Fri, Jun 14 2013 22:03:14

Zombo;246343]10% if asian restaurant 15% if western[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Zombo;261904]15% is non-chinese 10% in chinese[/QUOTE] Staying consistent. Good man. [QUOTE=Iota wrote: That's fucked up man, you realize that for many waiters/waitresses tips make up a large part of their salary? In fact, it's legal in many states for servers to be paid much less than minimum wage on the basis that tip credits will on average make up the difference such that their pay including tips will amount to minimum wage or more. Even when this isn't allowed, the minimum wage in most states is around $7.75 an hour, and most servers don't make more than $10 an hour. Many waiters/waitresses actually do that for a living, that or they do it part-time in order to pay for school; do you really think that $7-10/hour is a large enough yearly salary to support oneself properly given car/insurance/school expenses? The average yearly is something like $20,000 dude, that includes tips and it still isn't very much at all. For servers tips actually constitute a major portion of their pay, if you're thinking of it as a courtesy for you to tip them then you don't understand the job.
    If a waiter/waitress earning less than min. wage eats out at a restaurant, should they be forced to tip?

33. Iota
    Date: Sat, Jun 15 2013 00:20:31

Tialys wrote: If a waiter/waitress earning less than min. wage eats out at a restaurant, should they be forced to tip?
    Nobody should be *forced* to tip, it's a common courtesy and social expectation. Yes, they should still tip though, and likely do, their being a waiter/waitress is totally irrelevant if they're eating out and being served. Tipping 10-15% would be alright if they're making very little, better than nothing...(also, they wouldn't effectively make less than minimum wage, only that their tips would make up the difference so basically they'd be making at least minimum wage, waiters/waitresses make around $10/hr on average)

34. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Jun 15 2013 02:00:58

I always flash a few bills while Im looking at the menu so the server thinks I have a lot of money to tip with, and then I just leave a note that says "gotcha".

35. 20%
    Date: Mon, Jun 17 2013 13:33:58

shoeman6 wrote: I always flash a few bills while Im looking at the menu so the server thinks I have a lot of money to tip with, and then I just leave a note that says "gotcha".
    :xd: usually tip a good amount if food and service is really good

36. Daniel Dou
    Date: Sat, Jun 22 2013 08:41:15

In some countries I've visited, tipping isn't necessary. Everything's included in the price of the bill. Where I'm living now, tipping is the norm. Normally I go 10%. I'm not that familiar with how people view tipping in general, but... I have a relation who went out for dinner, and the food was badly made and still cold. So he didn't give a tip. They started making a fuss, and I think the manager came out too and told them that they need tips to survive, or something or other. Of course he didn't give a tip and just walked out in the end, and never went back. :P So I guess, tipping here isn't just an extra for good service. You're gonna get hell the next time you go back if you don't tip.

37. UEDan
    Date: Wed, Jun 26 2013 09:03:32

Iota wrote: Nobody should be *forced* to tip, it's a common courtesy and social expectation. Yes, they should still tip though, and likely do, their being a waiter/waitress is totally irrelevant if they're eating out and being served. Tipping 10-15% would be alright if they're making very little, better than nothing...(also, they wouldn't effectively make less than minimum wage, only that their tips would make up the difference so basically they'd be making at least minimum wage, waiters/waitresses make around $10/hr on average)
    Ok.... waiters don't make enough because they didn't pay attention in school or have no other skills? Not my problem. As you say, $10 is above minimum wage. That's not a bad for a job that requires no training. I just ate at a asian buffet today. Guess what I tipped? Nada.

38. SJ
    Date: Fri, Jun 28 2013 03:14:13

UEDan wrote: Ok.... waiters don't make enough because they didn't pay attention in school or have no other skills? Not my problem. As you say, $10 is above minimum wage. That's not a bad for a job that requires no training. I just ate at a asian buffet today. Guess what I tipped? Nada.
    which one? makino? hokkaido?

39. Tialys
    Date: Sun, Jun 30 2013 02:57:54

Iota wrote: Nobody should be *forced* to tip, it's a common courtesy and social expectation. Yes, they should still tip though, and likely do, their being a waiter/waitress is totally irrelevant if they're eating out and being served. Tipping 10-15% would be alright if they're making very little, better than nothing...(also, they wouldn't effectively make less than minimum wage, only that their tips would make up the difference so basically they'd be making at least minimum wage, waiters/waitresses make around $10/hr on average)
    The solution to that is to fix the relevant labour/employment laws, not to institute a practice where refusing to fork out an additional 10-15% is heavily deprecated. Tipping should convey the sentiment that you appreciate the quality of the food and service. Not that you sympathize with the server's financial plight and are chipping in some extra dough to help them out.

40. shoeman6
    Date: Sun, Jun 30 2013 04:11:13

Basically all tipping is doing is subsidizing the employers cost of hiring workers.

41. Desire_
    Date: Wed, Jul 24 2013 17:45:54

I always tip about 10 - 15%, depending the price of the purchased item(s).

42. Darealone
    Date: Tue, Feb 11 2014 02:36:33

As an ex-waiter...I always tip...unless the waiter was poop horrible. I tip the percentage and sometimes more if I found that they did an excellent job.