UPSB v4

Battlezone / Pen Spinning League

1. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 18:53:08

Is anyone interested in participating in, or watching, a pen spinning league? If so, please read the description and answer the questions: Description This would be open to all spinners, not just UPSB ones, so long as they read the posts on here about the league. It would likely start in summertime/late summertime. Here is a similar league I ran some time ago: http://psmatsps.webs.com/penspinningleague.htm The pen spinning league would have an upper and lower division. If you wish to participate, please indicate which division you would like to be in.. If you choose a division you are clearly unsuited for, then I may change which league you go in, if this goes ahead. To give an idea, upper level spinners should be at WT level or nearly at WT level. To reduce the number of matches required, it would probably follow a Swiss System. Each round, you would be matched to a spinner and battle them 1 vs 1. Rounds may or may not be themed. Questions for particpants: How many rounds would you like? How many weeks to make a combo? Public voting or judges, or a mixture? What might make suitable prizes and what should prizes be given for? (for example, other than the winners, maybe 2nd and 3rd, maybe best combo of the season etc?) Questions for anyone who wants to watch: Judges or public voting? What themes (if any) would you like to see? Is there anything else you can think of, which would make this a better, more entertaining and/or more exciting competition?

2. LightSpinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 19:41:34

this is interesting, but i doubt people would follow through and keep it running

3. Alvaris
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 19:49:27

LightSpinner wrote: this is interesting, but i doubt people would follow through and keep it running
    There was a PSL held 2 years ago, it went well but got taken over by someone near its end because the organizers somehow just abandoned it iirc, i don't remember much. End results were pretty satisfying though @neoknux_009

4. M@V3R1CK
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 19:55:24

I'll join if enough people are interested.

5. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 20:49:34

This is a good idea but if it collides with the UPSBT or UPSBTT(I hope there will be one this year) I think lower level spinners will compete in this :/ And iirc i.suk(or maybe neoknux lol) won the PSL 2 years ago.

6. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 21:03:41

This occurs at the same time as UPSBT? Ah, the main difference with this is that you are not eliminated.

7. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 21:34:22

I'd like to try upper league. I'm not there yet at my current level, but I'm confident I'll manage to improve a lot till summer. Questions for particpants: How many rounds would you like? It's a league so about 7~9 / half year are good. How many weeks to make a combo? 1~2 weeks maximum. I think 1 week should actually be enough for planning an filming. Public voting or judges, or a mixture? Judges What might make suitable prizes and what should prizes be given for? Award signatures for the first three and maybe special awards. If you can organize a sponsor for a prize that would be of course very nice. :3

8. Wikero
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 21:37:04

I will join if there's enough ppl :) How many rounds would you like? 3 is nice imo How many weeks to make a combo? 1 or 1 and a half :) Public voting or judges, or a mixture? mixture will be nice ^_^ What might make suitable prizes and what should prizes be given for? (for example, other than the winners, maybe 2nd and 3rd, maybe best combo of the season etc?) Dunno... pen parts? penmods? a signature? premium member for x time? XD really don't know :3

9. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 22:52:13

LightSpinner;244347]this is interesting, but i doubt people would follow through and keep it running[/QUOTE] I ran a league about 4 years ago. The 'intermediate' section as it was called went just about okay, with people dropping out a little towards the end. The upper section (advanced I think it was called) when pretty well, with hardly any drop outs. You will find @eRiror won that league. lol in fact a quick search shows it's still around: http://psmatsps.webs.com/penspinningleague.htm [QUOTE=ChainBreak wrote: I'd like to try upper league. I'm not there yet at my current level, but I'm confident I'll manage to improve a lot till summer.
    Sounds fair enough. [quote=Wikero]I will join if there's enough ppl [/quote] How many is enough and which section would you like to join?
    This is a good idea but if it collides with the UPSBT or UPSBTT(I hope there will be one this year) I think lower level spinners will compete in this :/
    It will probably collide a little with UPSBT. I don't see why good spinners wouldn't do both. Besides, there will only be probably one round where there are a great deal of pen spinners who are in both, as the UPSBT tournament numbers will drop each round. :dunno: I don't see any active teams for team tournament? [quote=chainbreak]If you can organize a sponsor for a prize that would be of course very nice. :3 [/quote] I was actually planning on sponsoring some prizes myself. ;)

10. padrace
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 23:00:07

i would love to, i'll join upper league!

11. Wikero
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 23:16:20

@Mats mmm maybe like 10~15 per division. I think that would be nice and section well... depending of how many will be XD if there are 2 then in the lower one, if there are 3 or in the lower or I think intermediate... something else :)

12. Quake
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 23:25:36

Questions for participants: How many rounds would you like? 9 Rounds should be sufficient. How many weeks to make a combo? 2 Weeks. Public voting or judges, or a mixture? A mixture could work, however if we choose to go with a mixture then judge votes need to count for more than public voter votes. This is because public voters might just vote for who they like the best, e.g. a friend or idol spinner. Also, the judges would need to be non biased. What might make suitable prizes and what should prizes be given for? (for example, other than the winners, maybe 2nd and 3rd, maybe best combo of the season etc?) Premium Membership For a Month on UPSB? Something simple. Good Luck to whoever runs this. If you need an assitant in running this, I'll help. If not then I'll gladly join the competition, probably the lower division, since I haven't spun anything in ages. I won't do both though.

13. Tigres
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 01:57:36

i would be in intermediate:D and i agree with quake

14. Walkaz
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 07:55:18

grrr by that time my O level is getting near D: i ll watch instead ( self control ftw ) number of rounds 10,covering as much themes as possible 2 weeks per combo judges

15. Syrti
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 09:43:14

Let's say we'd get 18 people in total -> 9 upper/9 lower league Everyone has to battle each other one time. -> 1 week filming. 1 week voting. -> a total of 16 weeks Win: 3 points Draw: 1 point Loss: 0 points

16. EffecT
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 10:08:22

looking forward to this pen spinning league, will join the upper league.

17. Erirornal Kraione
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 17:09:03

Good times. Will probably participate.

18. kin
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 17:15:50

interesting, i hope it works

19. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 17:20:14

I'm leaning towards 2 weeks to film and 1 week to judge, over about 6 rounds. This give the league an 18 week season, short enough to not clash with other events, but long enough to get a true winner. The Swiss system sorts the best very efficiently, since you're always battling someone with a similar (or the same) record. A lot of people have put premium UPSB membership as a good prize. Good for UPSB members perhaps, but not so for spinners who participate from say JEB? Almost everyone has put judges as opposed to public voting. Any volunteers? Also, lots of you are putting you would join if enough people join... How many is enough? I'm looking for at least 12 participants for the first season, in each tier of the league.

20. Valentin
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 17:29:53

It seems interesting, i will join.

21. The Turtle
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 19:00:12

This could be really cool. Will probably join upper league.

22. i.suk
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 23:38:08

-joining- hmm, good judges > public voting > bad judges, so get good judges :D

23. Demon
    Date: Thu, Jan 24 2013 02:11:34

Maybe a mod as a prize?

24. Dark Nite
    Date: Thu, Jan 24 2013 16:11:42

would we be meeting in person like in california or is like tournament thing?

25. Mats
    Date: Thu, Jan 24 2013 17:51:24

Dark Nite wrote: would we be meeting in person like in california or is like tournament thing?
    It's going to be over the internet, and the system, well it's a Swiss system, as stated in the first post.