UPSB v4

Fundamental Tricks / Do we have the right fundamentals?

1. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 01:08:11

Thumbaround, Charge, Sonic and Fingerpass have stood as the fundamental tricks of pen spinning for many years. With how much pen spinning has changed since then, does this need to change too?

2. HobbyLogics
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 01:44:03

Yes, you're right all power is fundamental as well :trollface: Not sure tbh. :p

3. Demotaiz
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 01:58:51

Possibly backaround?

4. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 02:02:04

SaturN wrote: Possibly backaround?
    Thumbaround is also an around, but more basic.

5. SuperVValrus
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 02:02:19

I would definitely add the bak. But why does it matter what the fundementals are?

6. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 02:03:39

SuperVValrus wrote: I would definitely add the bak. But why does it matter what the fundementals are?
    A valid question. Why do we even have fundamentals?

7. Demotaiz
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 02:05:56

Mats wrote: A valid question. Why do we even have fundamentals?
    So newcomers have a place to start.

8. kvanimation
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 03:05:01

power trick are my fundamentals

9. [TGN]
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 03:08:30

Power = fundamentals :trollface:

10. Wobster
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 04:47:52

Put infinity in there. Seriously, what's it doing in advanced tricks? O.O

11. Valentin
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 05:47:27

Wobster wrote: Put infinity in there. Seriously, what's it doing in advanced tricks? O.O
    Infinity is made of wipers, so I would put the wipers.

12. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 08:39:13

Definutely put wipers or infinity there, wipers are versatile to build from and very good fundamentals.

13. EffecT
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 08:57:15

wipers are good for linkages somehow in my opinion.

14. fang
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 09:38:17

[QUOTE='[TGN];244229']Power = fundamentals :trollface:[/QUOTE] Makes me a beginner again. >.<

15. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 09:39:44

"The Fundamentals are considered the basics of pen spinning. They consist of three tricks: Charge Sonic Thumbaround And one combination: Fingerpass [B]The Fundamentals are relatively easy to learn and help build a foundation for many other tricks, combos and hybrids that follow[/B]. For example, the Pass and Charge can be combined into the Twisted Sonic hybrid, while Sonic and Charge are used for the Sonic Clip hybrid. Many mistakenly count the Infinity as a Fundamental." The Wiki Wipers are easy to learn but they dont help that much in making other hybrids and combos for beginners. Therefore I think the fundies should be left the way they are :dunno:

16. M@V3R1CK
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:25:24

eazi-penspinner wrote: Wipers are easy to learn but they dont help that much in making other hybrids and combos for beginners. Therefore I think the fundies should be left the way they are :dunno:
    It's true wipers don't help make hybrids, but they do help with linkages. Yeah tricks and hybrids are good to learn at first, but so are links. Add wipers with sonic, charge, and fingerpass as well as reverses you'll have some decent wiper links. Plus palm wipers look really stylish if used properly, but that might just be me.

17. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:43:00

SaturN wrote: So newcomers have a place to start.
    All the other manipulations I have tried (juggling, diabolo, devilstick, poi, hula hoop) do not have fundamental tricks. Why does pen spinning need them, when all these others do not?

18. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:11:26

M@V3R1CK;244285]It's true wipers don't help make hybrids, but they do help with linkages. Yeah tricks and hybrids are good to learn at first, but so are links. Add wipers with sonic, charge, and fingerpass as well as reverses you'll have some decent wiper links.[/QUOTE] I think the only wiper link that is suitable for beginners that are starting is the infinity. I mean, we are talking about people that haven't ever spun a pen. [QUOTE=M@V3R1CK;244285] Plus palm wipers look really stylish if used properly, but that might just be me.[/QUOTE] And yeah, they are stylish but way too hard for beginners :P [QUOTE=Mats wrote: All the other manipulations I have tried (juggling, diabolo, devilstick, poi, hula hoop) do not have fundamental tricks. Why does pen spinning need them, when all these others do not?
    Idk about the other manipulations but it would be hard for a beginner to decide what trick to learn first without the fundies and imagine them going for a haitua before learning a fingerpass :lol:

19. M@V3R1CK
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:36:10

eazi-penspinner;244289]I think the only wiper link that is suitable for beginners that are starting is the infinity. I mean, we are talking about people that haven't ever spun a pen.[/QUOTE] yeah but if they're already practicing fundamentals/fundamental hybrids then what's one more fundamental to practice? Simply adding wipers to other fundamentals is still a fundamental. [QUOTE=eazi-penspinner wrote: And yeah, they are stylish but way too hard for beginners :P
    true but I think they're easier than power tricks.

20. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:46:51

Well, wipers can't replace any of the existing fundies but they could be a 5th. But I'd rather leave the fundies the way they are -.-

21. Solar
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:58:12

fundamentals = maybe halftap

22. Walkaz
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 12:30:34

imo maybe we should add "power fundamentals" too,to help beginner power trickers i mean in bboying there s windmills and flare for power move fundies, so i think we should have stuffs like palm spin flta as power fundies as for fundamentals, i would leave the 4 and their rev,with an addition of infinity

23. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 12:38:06

[quote=eazi-spinner] Idk about the other manipulations but it would be hard for a beginner to decide what trick to learn first without the fundies and imagine them going for a haitua before learning a fingerpass :lol:[/QUOTE] There is no reason you need to know Fingerpass in order to learn a Hai Tua.

24. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 13:12:13

Mats wrote: There is no reason you need to know Fingerpass in order to learn a Hai Tua.
    Yeah but I don't think it's right to learn such advanced tricks before you can do even a fingerpass ...

25. 20%
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 13:14:24

wipers should be there! i believe a power fundy is thumbaround, which leads to ta release, a common release for power tricks dunno if makes sense though >~<

26. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 13:14:25

eazi-penspinner wrote: Yeah but I don't think it's right to learn such advanced tricks before you can do even a fingerpass ...
    I think fingerpass is one of the hardest tricks ever.

27. Obstracized
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 13:16:03

Mats wrote: I think fingerpass is one of the hardest tricks ever.
    It is hard to get it really smoothly executed.

28. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 13:29:54

Mats wrote: I think fingerpass is one of the hardest tricks ever.
    It is hard to get it smooth I agree but it's a really important(fundamental) trick. Anyways, Im not really a fan of changing the fundies I like it the way they are. :]

29. Xienix
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 14:07:48

Mats wrote: A valid question. Why do we even have fundamentals?
    we have fundamentals so it's easy for beginners to learn the tricks and use them in a combo you can't do a combo without fundamentals, there's always a pass/sonic/twisted sonic /around variation in it also if you'll combine fundamentals you'll get new tricks (sonic + twisted sonic = devil sonic) it's the basis of penspinning and i think that's the reason why there are fundamentals and the answer on the title: :noface: the fundamentals are good tricks to start with and a wiper is in my opinion to easy for the fundamentals, you'll just take the pen on one side and gravity pulls it down that's it :)

30. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 15:58:37

The fundamentals all represent the basic concepts of penspinning: Fingerpass -> passes Charge -> spinning motion Sonic -> hybrids Thumbaround -> arounds I think almost all tricks that have been invented so far can be broken down into these fundamental tricks. Not included are spins and air tricks, but I think spins are too difficult for newer spinner since high revolutions require a high amount of control and air tricks also require a high amount of control to execute the "throwing" correctly and to be able to catch the pen in a way that allows smooth spinning after the catch. I don't really know about wipers/infinities since they are actually just charge-pass hybrids. The only difference from "normal" tricks is that they are executed at the end of the pen.

31. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 16:33:41

Wipers are categorized as utility tricks, not fundamentals. Fundamentals are simply used as a rough guide / categorization of a few basic tricks of which others are derived from (in the sense that they have similar pushes and catches) No one says fundamentals are the best, required, or mean anything if you don't want them to. Just as there is no learning order, or scale for difficulty. In the end it's still learn what you want, how you want, when you want. For me, the fundamentals and their edit(reverses) were the hardest tricks to learn, simply because of lack of exposure. In some cases I could do hybrids involving more advanced tricks before I could do the base of said hybrids. They're just there for organization and guidance.

32. Soren
    Date: Tue, Jan 22 2013 19:45:39

shoeman6 wrote: Wipers are categorized as utility tricks, not fundamentals. Fundamentals are simply used as a rough guide / categorization of a few basic tricks of which others are derived from (in the sense that they have similar pushes and catches) No one says fundamentals are the best, required, or mean anything if you don't want them to. Just as there is no learning order, or scale for difficulty. In the end it's still learn what you want, how you want, when you want. For me, the fundamentals and their were the hardest tricks to learn, simply because of lack of exposure, sometimes I could do hybrids involving more advanced tricks, before I could do the base of said hybrids. They're just there for organization and guidance.
    shoeman6's got it.

33. PERSIST
    Date: Wed, Jan 23 2013 16:59:12

I wouldn't say no to making the bak a fundamental, and POSSIBLY the arounds.

34. zaintejani
    Date: Mon, Feb 18 2013 20:07:06

learn the thumbaround [video=youtube;1jpzJpfio5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jpzJpfio5s[/video]