UPSB v4

General Discussion / UPSB Tournament

1. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 03:44:18

Is this happening? If so, when is it happening? Who is running it? Will it be open to anyone, or only to none WT spinners @Kcom2002

2. spenpinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 03:45:14

I'd like a UPSBT

3. LightSpinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 03:57:18

i want this happening or a whole upsb collab/promo wat would it be, the 4th?

4. Escorpio123
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 03:58:27

I want a UPSBT Like every year there is one :ssst:. The question is, who is going to organize it this year :? I would like this to happen ASAP before School Starts, or at least not at the end of the semester because Classes get harder <_<.

5. Demon
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 04:13:35

I hope it's non wt spinners

6. Kcom2002
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 04:21:56

Open to anyone.... And why am I mentioned.

7. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 04:22:42

Kcom2002 wrote: Open to anyone.... And why am I mentioned.
    I thought you might have a good idea of if this is happening or of details?

8. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 05:39:50

it should be done after wt/wc, since the tournaments of hkpsa, fpsb, jeb, and gpc in 2012 were all done after wc12 this allows for more attention to the tournament since people aren't all watching wt/wc, higher quality of spinning from influx of ideas and better spinners (notice none of the other boards which ran their tournaments after wt/wc barred their elites from competing)...we need something to spice up the 2nd half of the year anyway :P

9. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 06:32:17

Are you also volunteering to run it? @i.suk

10. Mystic
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 07:00:58

I think there should be another one. Although i dont remember seeing one since 2010 (hence the signature), but thats when i was last really active.

11. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 07:51:21

Last year's UPSB started in January (the qualification round). But I agree with i.suk the event should be held after the WT or at least after a few rounds. And also in UPSBT12 there were spinners competing in the WC at the same time <_<

12. Escorpio123
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 07:59:20

i.suk wrote: it should be done after wt/wc, since the tournaments of hkpsa, fpsb, jeb, and gpc in 2012 were all done after wc12 this allows for more attention to the tournament since people aren't all watching wt/wc, higher quality of spinning from influx of ideas and better spinners (notice none of the other boards which ran their tournaments after wt/wc barred their elites from competing)...we need something to spice up the 2nd half of the year anyway :P
    In 2011, there were 2 tournaments though, one of those was the UPSB Tournament and the other one was like around June, Which was called Summer Tournament o.O. Are you going to organize this tournament :) :?

13. EffecT
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 08:45:51

looking forward into it. i hope this year's one would be better.

14. Dakrowl
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 11:04:26

I thought the upsbt is supposed to prepare spinners who are not in wt/wc to be ready for wc/wt?

15. Yamaguchi
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 12:57:47

3rd UPSBT? /in!

16. ChainBreak
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 13:29:42

Yay I want to participate this time.

17. sopi
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 13:57:45

Upsbt /in without a group D:

18. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 14:51:10

lol to all the idiots signing up for this. We don't even know if and when this happening yet. :facepalm:

19. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 19:45:49

I'd like this to happen (Although I'd want it to start in january to dissuade WT spinners). That and another UPSBTT UPSBT has always been something for the new-gen spinners rather than WT members coming in and destroying everyone. Whereas the country board tournaments are to define which spinner is the best in the country. And I'm going to enter this year, I want to WIN

20. Mats
    Date: Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:08:44

eurocracy wrote: And I'm going to enter this year, I want to WIN
    Even if the WT spinners do not enter, you're still not going to win. :lol:

21. TheAafg
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 07:38:46

I am willing to organize it, I mean I hope/plan to organize it. pls zumbo.

22. Demon
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 10:26:16

Lol imma get kicked out in the first round xDD

23. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 13:27:25

Mats wrote: Even if the WT spinners do not enter, you're still not going to win. :lol:
    I think you're a bit cocky for someone who consistently dodges battles and claims that he's going to win against sekai with a 70% chance. I said I wanted to win, not that I was going to. I think you're actually getting really cocky lately, you're becoming a prick. Anyhow, I have some things up my sleeves that you'll be surprised with, with very few youtube videos these past months I've been specifically working up to this tournament. I think I have a decent shot for atleast the first few rounds.

24. Sekai
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 13:35:57

/in! jk and yea, do this after WT

25. Mats
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 13:41:12

eurocracy wrote: Anyhow, I have some things up my sleeves that you'll be surprised with
    Arms? lol

26. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 13:54:48

Genius :P

27. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 16:48:00

TheAafg wrote: I am willing to organize it, I mean I hope/plan to organize it. pls zumbo.
    ok.

28. spenpinner
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 18:01:02

Zombo wrote: ok.
    YEEEE!!

29. ChainBreak
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 18:19:36

I'll win this. No argument will prove me wrong. EAT DIS NIGGUHS

30. Syrti
    Date: Wed, Jan 16 2013 18:32:53

Stop dreamin'

31. Escorpio123
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 03:49:55

UPSBT SHOULD START ALREADY JEEZ :facepalm:.

32. kvanimation
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 03:53:36

Yeah I agree start it very soon already the aafg

33. exclusive
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 03:57:04

i 100% agreed UPSBT should start soon.

34. Iota
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 04:35:05

do it after wt or it isn't really a UPSBT =_= If you don't do it or don't want to do it after WT so that all of UPSB can participate, including UPSB's best, then a more appropriate and descriptive name imo would be: UPSB Moderates Tournament (moderates as in like intermediate/advanced but not propro, not as in moderators lol), or just UPSBMT for abbreviations.

35. Mats
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 04:47:50

Depends if @i.suk wants to join this while still being in WT? To be honest, it would probably make sense to have a qualification round and put through all the spinners who were in WT as seeds.

36. Iota
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 05:17:21

^ that method wouldn't be unreasonable, if you have the qual. round near the end of WT time so that by the time it's over, everything is sorted. However, I don't think that we should necessarily just give the WT guys seeds automatically.

37. Mats
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 05:53:30

Iota wrote: ^ that method wouldn't be unreasonable, if you have the qual. round near the end of WT time so that by the time it's over, everything is sorted. However, I don't think that we should necessarily just give the WT guys seeds automatically.
    Why not? :? They were already chosen from a qualification scenario only a couple of months ago. :dunno:

38. Iota
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 06:12:21

I suppose. It would be reasonable to do, I just said that because I don't like the idea of auto-seeding simply based on perceived skill level since then we could just be like "oh hey let's just have winner battle isuk for UPSBT title" or something silly like that. I think it would be fine though to just have the WT guys seed into R1 automatically though, as long as a good number of other people participate (if not, then might as well have them go in qual round if the tourney size would be super small, unless everyone /in'ing would just go into bracket without qual round needed to begin with).

39. apvkt
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 06:59:10

Mats wrote: Is this happening? If so, when is it happening? Who is running it? Will it be open to anyone, or only to none WT spinners @Kcom2002
    Hi, Can you explain in detail regarding the tournament?? Share the full information if possible very soon which would be very helpful to know...Thanks

40. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 07:04:02

as i explained a few pages back, it should run after wt (as all other in-board tournaments in 2012 by jeb, gpc, fpsb, ppp and hkpsa were after wc12) for reasons i won't bother restating

41. Mats
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 10:38:55

i.suk wrote: as i explained a few pages back, it should run after wt (as all other in-board tournaments in 2012 by jeb, gpc, fpsb, ppp and hkpsa were after wc12) for reasons i won't bother restating
    What is your opinion on seeding WT spinners?

42. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:10:07

Mats wrote: What is your opinion on seeding WT spinners?
    for 2012's upsb tournament, there was a qualification round (over 40 people sent in vids), and the best 16 were ranked in order r1 was then #1 vs #16, #2 vs #15 etcetc this arrangement seemed to work decently in preventing strong spinner vs strong spinner matchups in first few rounds however, it's somewhat unfair to give the top few placings to wt members if those people don't make qualification combos (saving material and whatnot)

43. Quake
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:17:24

i.suk wrote: however, it's somewhat unfair to give the top few placings to wt members if those people don't make qualification combos (saving material and whatnot)
    Preach It! :clap: :clap: :clap:

44. coffeelucky
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:54:21

Agree that even wt spinners must send the qualification video.

45. Mats
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 12:54:26

I would have thought this is more counter balanced by them wasting material on the WT?

46. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 13:37:10

Mats wrote: I would have thought this is more counter balanced by them wasting material on the WT?
    we have infinite materials loljk hmm, upsbt will be after wt finishes, which isn't until 2 months or so from now; more than enough time for most of upsb's wt participants to take a short break and recuperate materials/mental fortitude etc

47. Alvaris
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 14:35:06

i.suk wrote: ...and recuperate materials/[B]mental fortitude[/B] etc
    never

48. Escorpio123
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 18:06:25

@Erirornal Kraione are you entering?

49. Alvaris
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 18:11:14

not sure, college starts in july and may be very busy then 'll see if i'll be still active then or not

50. Iota
    Date: Mon, Mar 11 2013 20:54:38

I'll probably compete, but if I don't/can't I would judge if requested. Idk though, not sure if I feel like doing another tourney yet.

51. Hippo2626
    Date: Tue, Mar 12 2013 00:18:07

I don't wanna' be a judge

52. Mats
    Date: Tue, Mar 12 2013 09:53:18

Hippo2626 wrote: I don't wanna' be a judge
    Because you're going to compete? We all miss your combos. :'(

53. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Mar 13 2013 01:07:41

Mats wrote: Because you're going to compete? We all miss your combos. :'(
    not participating in the tournie as well. :( but my YT channel won't be so dead in the next month ;) In regards to the tournie, I don't think having seeds in for WT is good. When I organised last year and when Zombo organised it 3 years ago, we both did it more for the middle class to almost world class spinners. So that spinners in that range that want to get to world class caliber can use this as a stepping stone to get there. Also the WT spinners can save their time/content/whatever for the WT.

54. Mats
    Date: Wed, Mar 13 2013 01:10:18

Hippo2626 wrote: In regards to the tournie, I don't think having seeds in for WT is good. When I organised last year and when Zombo organised it 3 years ago, we both did it more for the middle class to almost world class spinners. So that spinners in that range that want to get to world class caliber can use this as a stepping stone to get there. Also the WT spinners can save their time/content/whatever for the WT.
    As has been mentioned before though, you can hardly call it 'UPSB Tournament' if it is not open to all of UPSB.

55. Mystic
    Date: Wed, Mar 13 2013 01:13:34

Mats wrote: As has been mentioned before though, you can hardly call it 'UPSB Tournament' if it is not open to all of UPSB.
    I do agree. And our best world class spinners (vic, eriror, etc) were in it 3 years ago. It should be for all of UPSB.

56. Escorpio123
    Date: Wed, Mar 13 2013 01:40:42

Hippo2626 wrote: not participating in the tournie as well. :( but my YT channel won't be so dead in the next month ;) [B]In regards to the tournie, I don't think having seeds in for WT is good. When I organised last year and when Zombo organised it 3 years ago, we both did it more for the middle class to almost world class spinners. So that spinners in that range that want to get to world class caliber can use this as a stepping stone to get there. [/B]Also the WT spinners can save their time/content/whatever for the WT.
    I know, that's what I also say :thumb: It should train ppl to get there, but eh, not everyone agrees :shake:.

57. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Mar 13 2013 03:47:29

Mats wrote: As has been mentioned before though, you can hardly call it 'UPSB Tournament' if it is not open to all of UPSB.
    No no I mean that it's targeted towards the almost world class spinners but the WT spinners also can join if they want to but they shouldn't get special seeding. It would be hard enough for the rest of the spinners to beat them on an equal ground. For example, last year Alvaris and kirua took part in the upsbt even though they were in the wc. They both got all the way to semifinals in the WC so up til that point they didn't give their all to the UPSBT. Even with that both of them got to semifinals in the UPSBT as well ans Alvaris got 2nd place. All this with them giving not all their effort in the UPSBT. Imagine if the WT spinners participated with the seeding bonuses as well. All be it without it they could go through the qualifications without seeding but if there were more WT spinners that were encouraged to join the tournament or benefit from this advantage because of this there would probably be more of them to get deep in the UPSBT. I would much rather see the UPSBT filled with middle class spinners to get the experience of going far into the tournament rather than the same bunch of awesome spinners always at the top. So far in the past UPSBT's the newer spinners that really shined in the tournament have went on to do pretty well in the WC/WT. 2-3 years ago, Twine, i.suk, neoknux and myself were in 2 UPSB based tournaments and all did quite well in the those tournaments. The next year the 4 of us got into the WC team and got 2nd place. Last year Iota and miyat were in the UPSBT and got 1st and top 4 respectively. Now they were able to get into WT. So after going off topic, I think the top spinners of UPSB don't need the seeding advantage but it doesn't mean they can't join the tournament if they wanted to.