UPSB v4

General Discussion / Questions for i.suk

1. Mats
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 11:52:26

Post pen spinning related questions to i.suk here. He may have some good ideas/advice for other spinners. @i.suk How much do you practice pen spinning? What are you favourite: a)Power tricks b)Continuous tricks/linkages Which cont. trick have you practiced the most? Where do you see the general pen spinning level in 2 years time (at the next WT)? How long do you intend to pen spin?

2. Kcom2002
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:10:00

@i.suk Do you approve of this thread?

3. Timbo
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:17:19

Damn they have to be pen spinning related. What Australian currency denomination would you like your face to be put on once you become one of Australia's favourite sons for your pen spinning talents? Where do you rate the pen spinning talent that Australia has produced as compared to other countries? If the Australian Broadcasting Channel wanted to feature you in a program about pen spinning would you do it? Would you rather said program be shown on ABC1 or ABC2? If your favourite AFL team spun pens, what is your favourite AFL team's name? If you won the WT and had to meet the prime minister, would you rather that be Abbot or Gillard?

4. [TGN]
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:27:00

Wasn't the SOTW enough for questions? Why is there a need to open another thread, and even without i.suk's permission?

5. Walkaz
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:43:39

if you want to vote for a pen spinning president, who would you vote for?

6. Obstracized
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 13:00:57

[QUOTE='[TGN];236588']Wasn't the SOTW enough for questions? Why is there a need to open another thread, and even without i.suk's permission?[/QUOTE] The SOTW Thread was created in 2011, and I believed i.Suk now has became better and his favorite Linkages and Tricks could had changed. Furthermore, the i.Suk's SOTW Thread had been inactive already. But, I think getting i.Suk's permission is still better. XD

7. Mats
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 13:40:14

A lot of these questions are not really very pen spinning related. This is more of a forum for technical pen spinning discussion with i.suk, than stupid questions such as which channel he wants to appear on. :rolleyes:

8. Soren
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 15:43:00

Well then, we might as well create a thread for every good pen spinner on this board then... If you really want to ask a question just pm them, post it on their profile or shoutbox it if they're online.

9. Escorpio123
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 18:43:46

Why are you so cool and friendly? haha :jk: @i.suk

10. Mats
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 18:51:04

Supergirl wrote: Well then, we might as well create a thread for every good pen spinner on this board then... If you really want to ask a question just pm them, post it on their profile or shoutbox it if they're online.
    He's not just a good spinner though, is he? He is the best active spinner on UPSB.

11. Awesome
    Date: Fri, Dec 7 2012 19:11:39

Why haven't you changed you name yet? Isn't it time to upgrade to i.win?

12. SA1
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 00:33:17

Awesome wrote: Why haven't you changed you name yet? Isn't it time to upgrade to i.win?
    best question in the thread, hahaha

13. Walkaz
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 01:18:35

the good thing about this thread is, it saves i.suk from mass pms the bad thing is, dumb questions cant be avoided <_<

14. LightSpinner
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 01:36:33

Walkaz wrote: the good thing about this thread is, it saves i.suk from mass pms the bad thing is, dumb questions cant be avoided <_<
    this is very true

15. i.suk
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 04:44:02

How much do you practice pen spinning? i guess average of 1 hour a day, it varies a lot though (e.g. since i'm overseas now, i've spun about 1 hour in the past week or so) What are you favourite: a)Power tricks b)Continuous tricks/linkages a) index pun new, aerial ass, hai tua b) in addition to a) i also like bak 1.5s and pd fl ta continuous Which cont. trick have you practiced the most? probably index busts Where do you see the general pen spinning level in 2 years time (at the next WT)? the rate of improvement in PS is still pretty fast, i think the 'average' wt15 spinner would be comparable to s777's level in wt11 as a rough guess How long do you intend to pen spin? as long as my hands can physically move, hopefully for the rest of my life ^^ Do you approve of this thread? i don't really mind much What Australian currency denomination would you like your face to be put on once you become one of Australia's favourite sons for your pen spinning talents? $50 note :rofl: Where do you rate the pen spinning talent that Australia has produced as compared to other countries? the core of australia's PS strength has remained the same from 2008 until 2012 (pen ninja, neoknux_009 and myself), we lack a new generation (compared to many small asian countries like taiwan, malaysia, indonesia etc), but australia's strongest 3 spinners are very good x) If the Australian Broadcasting Channel wanted to feature you in a program about pen spinning would you do it? Would you rather said program be shown on ABC1 or ABC2? i would (i'd also try to get neo and penja and maybe a few others on too if possible), channel doesn't matter If your favourite AFL team spun pens, what is your favourite AFL team's name? don't follow AFL haha If you won the WT and had to meet the prime minister, would you rather that be Abbot or Gillard? hmm...i don't really like either of them much, Gillard i guess if you want to vote for a pen spinning president, who would you vote for? ZOMBO :D Why haven't you changed you name yet? but i have (from i.suk.at.everything to i.suk) :P nah, i like this name xD

16. Timbo
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 15:04:38

i.suk wrote: If the Australian Broadcasting Channel wanted to feature you in a program about pen spinning would you do it? Would you rather said program be shown on ABC1 or ABC2? i would (i'd also try to get neo and penja and maybe a few others on too if possible), channel doesn't matter
    Not really that much of a stretch to be honest. I've seen SBS do articles (not often, but it has happened) on esports once or twice. Pen spinning could definitely be on there one day

17. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 15:22:43

Who do you think the top ten penspinners in the world are? (Active and non-active)

18. Walkaz
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 15:58:21

who do you think are the future of upsb? ( excluding you and neok and all those worldclass peeps and of course you should xclude peeps who are from other boards but come here to play a lot like yama )

19. i.suk
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 16:27:59

Who do you think the top ten penspinners in the world are? (Active and non-active) hard question, some people are pretty lazy in non-competition times, and being a better spinner is hard to define fel2fram, menowa, supawit, mesi, sponge, kin, ivabra, snow, eriror, vicgotgame, spinnerpeem, A13x, s777 (mesi's not that active lately but he has a level of refinement and pacing far above anyone else's, supawit hasn't made a serious combo after wc12 so far and neither has kin; eriror, vic, peem, A13x and s777 not that active and are capable of doing way better stuff than their vids show probably) who do you think are the future of upsb? ( excluding you and neok and all those worldclass peeps and of course you should xclude peeps who are from other boards but come here to play a lot like yama ) iota, miyat, sekai, there's some malaysians/singaporeans but whether they are real upsb is uncertain (like pixels who seems to be part JEB, x3silver, walkaz etc); zkhan has potential too if he isn't as lazy xD and also padrace, eurocracy has some nice stuff but should get a better setup and refinement, eazi and gash are pretty good too

20. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 18:09:56

i.suk wrote: fel2fram, menowa, supawit, mesi, sponge, kin, ivabra, snow, eriror, vicgotgame, spinnerpeem, A13x, s777, [B][COLOR="red"]i.suk[/COLOR][/B]
    Nice list, I fixed it for you(sun)

21. Mats
    Date: Sat, Dec 8 2012 22:50:08

Top 10 UPSB spinners? What exactly do you do in practice sessions? Whose videos inspire you? Where do you think you will finish in WT?

22. i.suk
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 02:09:33

Top 10 UPSB spinners? eriror, me (lol), neoknux, iota, miyat, pen ninja, sekai, zkhan, gash, twine (a bit inactive?), padrace What exactly do you do in practice sessions? spamming cont, sometimes i slomo other people's vids and learn their linkages, making my own linkages Whose videos inspire you? spinnerpeem, supawit, vicgotgame, mesi, fel2fram, fire@fox Where do you think you will finish in WT? i really really want to get to R4 or even R5 if i'm lucky, tbh i'm not really sure since even eriror and vic 'only' got to R3 in wt11 from bad matchups =\ realistically i think i can get to R2 at least haha

23. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 02:15:51

i.suk wrote: Top 10 UPSB spinners? eriror, me (lol), neoknux, iota, miyat, pen ninja, sekai, zkhan, gash, twine (a bit inactive?), padrace What exactly do you do in practice sessions? spamming cont, sometimes i slomo other people's vids and learn their linkages, making my own linkages Whose videos inspire you? spinnerpeem, supawit, vicgotgame, mesi, fel2fram, fire@fox Where do you think you will finish in WT? i really really want to get to R4 or even R5 if i'm lucky, tbh i'm not really sure since even eriror and vic 'only' got to R3 in wt11 from bad matchups =\ realistically i think i can get to R2 at least haha
    That's 11 UPSB spinners? :? What's your opinion on maximum mod lengths and weights that should be allowable? If you could meet any pen spinner, who would it be?

24. i.suk
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 02:18:34

What's your opinion on maximum mod lengths and weights that should be allowable? vic's emboss mod he used in wt11 is probably the 'upper limit' imo, and his hands are huge (22-23 cm iirc?), and people can reach insane levels of skill with lighter mods anyway (e.g. kin, peem and supa use normal ivan mods etc) -> max weight < 23g and length < 24cm i guess If you could meet any pen spinner, who would it be? supawit or eriror, can't decide haha

25. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 04:27:40

im viet,not sg or msia :p and im from vnpsc :p do you think people will get past f2f's level?

26. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 04:37:47

Walkaz wrote: do you think people will get past f2f's level?
    What kind of ridiculous question is that? :facepalm:

27. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 05:11:13

@Mats it seems pretty impossible to get past his level imo I mean we cant even break down his combo :ninja:

28. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 05:13:46

Walkaz wrote: @Mats it seems pretty impossible to get past his level imo I mean we cant even break down his combo :ninja:
    You're an idiot. :facepalm:

29. Zephyr
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 05:18:08

Mats wrote: That's 11 UPSB spinners? :?
    :noface: Why can't you just be happy he answered? At least he answered your question. i.suk, How long have you been spinning and was there ever a time when you got tired of it and stopped?

30. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 05:48:10

@Mats stupid questions cant be avoided :v

31. EffecT
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 06:22:06

@Walkaz maybe we could learn SOME of his linkages haha.

32. Kari
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 06:32:01

Mats wrote: You're an idiot. :facepalm:
    You want to be a moderator and you're insulting people? That's just wrong.

33. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 06:36:29

Kari wrote: You want to be a moderator and you're insulting people? That's just wrong.
    It's not an insult, it's a fact. :teach:

34. coffeelucky
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 07:12:26

Mats wrote: It's not an insult, it's a fact. :teach:
    It's not a fact, it's only your opinion.

35. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 07:40:23

coffeelucky wrote: It's not a fact, it's only your opinion.
    id·i·ot /ˈidēət/ Noun A stupid person. His actions all point to this one definition, both in this thread and in shoutbox. :dunno:

36. coffeelucky
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 07:56:20

Mats wrote: His actions all point to this one definition, both in this thread and in shoutbox. :dunno:
    C'mon You're the only one who think he's idiot or at least I'm the only one who think he's not idiot. :P

37. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 08:00:47

@Mats boredom leads to stupid post :rofl:

38. Wobster
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 08:19:36

@i.suk Were you born in '92 or '93?

39. Kari
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 08:27:54

Mats wrote: id·i·ot /ˈidēət/ Noun A stupid person. His actions all point to this one definition, both in this thread and in shoutbox. :dunno:
    And you're sticking to that? Wow... :facepalm:

40. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 09:27:29

Leave the man alone! He must know shit since he's on the research team right? He must be like super smart and superior to us all. We are all unworthy of his presence and should bow to our new god who will lead us to peace!!!!! Right guys? :trollface:

41. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:12:17

ChainBreak wrote: Leave the man alone! He must know shit since he's on the research team right? He must be like super smart and superior to us all. We are all unworthy of his presence and should bow to our new god who will lead us to peace!!!!! Right guys? :trollface:
    Why bring in unrelated stuff from your thread... But this time, Mats is in the wrong.

42. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:22:04

eurocracy wrote: Why bring in unrelated stuff from your thread... But this time, Mats is in the wrong.
    Walkaz hasn't even tried to defend if his actions were stupid, in fact, he's basically admitting it and then I'm in the wrong for calling him an idiot? :wtf: @i.suk -> Who is right here?

43. TheAafg
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:32:17

Mats;236980] [QUOTE=Walkaz wrote: do you think people will get past f2f's level?
    What kind of ridiculous question is that? :facepalm:[/QUOTE] iunno seemed like a pretty decent question to me. If it was worded differently, I am pretty sure your opinion would be different. For example: "It is well known that f2f is an extremely good spinner, its hard to even breakdown his combos. Do you think its possible for a spinner in future to get past his level?" A little decency goes a long way.

44. Mats
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:49:08

TheAafg wrote: iunno seemed like a pretty decent question to me. If it was worded differently, I am pretty sure your opinion would be different. For example: "It is well known that f2f is an extremely good spinner, its hard to even breakdown his combos. Do you think its possible for a spinner in future to get past his level?" A little decency goes a long way.
    That is just the same question. :dunno:

45. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:06:45

I dont understand what about that question is supposed to be stupid. Fel2fram has a very high level of complexity and originality. Now the queytion askes isf i.suk could imagine a spinner that will show even higher levels of the same. It is of course hypothetical, but a lot of scientists and sportsmen also do dwell in hypothetical thoughts very often. So why would it be stupid to ask something like this from a world class penspinner? If i.suk provides an answer i think we can also expect some kind of explanation. With this explanation then we maybe are presented with thoughts we didnt have thus our overall number of ideas could increase. With that new information our capability of getting new information through combination of old thoughts also increases thus providing us a higher number of possible theories. And the more theories we have the more likely it is to stumble upon a theory that is likely to be correct. So the question is not at all dumb. Afterall scientist also exchange information to achieve just that. To discover new theories.

46. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:15:20

ok let's clear this my question is serious, because since i thought we cant bd fel's combo,how can we get past his lvl one more thing, on chatbox, im just playin around and give dumb talk, no biggie and since i always thought mats is a funny random dude, i thought he was just joking :facepalm:

47. coffeelucky
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:53:13

This topic should be changed to "Question for Mats"

48. i.suk
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 15:37:22

do you think people will get past f2f's level? of course, he is hardly invincible, his difficulty is very high but somewhat uncertain as it comes largely from his stuff being weird rather than requiring hours of pure practice (like the training needed to get pun kan x 100, for example), i believe some spinners can follow what he does if it's explained well by fel2fram himself like in his blog posts and slomo is provided it's very hard to think like fel2fram does, he deserves all the credit he's given for his mindblowing stuff, but it's easy to imagine someone more skilled, especially if you take into account desynchronised 2p2h, defying gravity stuff, 2p1h etc (even though fel2fram would still be far more creative than them) alternatively, imagine fel2fram doing similar tricks with more use of finger dexterity/fingercross concepts, or imagine someone who could do supawit's wc12 r3 combo on his right hand, and do an entirely mirrored (i.e. put all tricks in reverse and flip fingerslots) modification of that combo on his left at the same time (this ensures the pen spins in same direction always to give visual cohesion) will this level be reached in the next year? probably not, but maybe...if you give a few more years, someone might fel2fram stands at the top for now, but no one's been able to win 2 wt's in a row ever, PS changes very fast indeed i.suk, How long have you been spinning and was there ever a time when you got tired of it and stopped? spun about 5 years (started nov 2007), i nearly quit when i was 6 months after seeing mist's insane 6 month solo though LOL. i've gotten bored of spinning every now and then, but it's more of a 'i'm feeling lazy today' or 'i have more interesting things to do' phase that lasts a day or two Were you born in '92 or '93? 1993 walkaz's question is not stupid, fel2fram is at a level incomprehensible to most people (i could spend hours analysing one of his combos at 4x slomo and only be able to do half the stuff haha) but the premise of 'can't breakdown, therefore can't be surpassed' is incorrect imo, because: fel2fram's stuff can be broken down....by fel2fram himself (and a few others who have tried with some success), it's just really hard to do so and, you can copy and extend someone's concepts without knowing their breakdowns, a slomo itself is enough to tell how the pen and fingers move furthermore, you can surpass someone in skill very easily if you can accomplish either one of the scenarios i stated above (of course there are many other ways to improve), neither of which requires a breakdown nb: fel2fram is truly amazing, no one so far (for me) can combine and modify tricks to the extent he does

49. Demon
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 15:45:41

is there a link to mists's solo?

50. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Dec 9 2012 16:18:49

how do we think we can improve the wt judging system because it's pretty fucked up atm bias judging everywhere and do you think we need "qualified" judges, like a certain list of people who are capable of judging

51. i.suk
    Date: Mon, Dec 10 2012 01:42:32

is there a link to mists's solo? it's unbelievable, also remember this was in mid-2008-ish, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIM02LEytpM how do we think we can improve the wt judging system because it's pretty fucked up atm bias judging everywhere and do you think we need "qualified" judges, like a certain list of people who are capable of judging the judging system/outline itself is fine, it's just that the judges themselves usually aren't as good as they can be, because: the best spinners are competing so therefore can't be judges, so judges usually end up being spinners who aren't as skilled (therefore probably won't be as good in judging/evaluation/noticing stuff), also judging is a pretty thankless job where you get flamed for making 'wrong' decisions etc tbh, realistically, i think it's very hard to improve the judging outcomes, and the actual results overall once all boards' judges have been compiled aren't that bad most of the time (less than 5 matches in a tournament where the general consensus is different to the judging result) ideally we can all have qualified judges, but practically it's nearly impossible to implement there's a lot of bias from fame, it can be reduced by people spending more time judging (but in r1, there's nearly 100 vids and people have lives outside of PS)... --> i don't think much can be done, there isn't that much problem with the current system anyway...just that it's really bad luck if you're the one who is on the receiving end, like supawit vs kin wt11 r5 :rofl:

52. Demon
    Date: Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:34:48

thx and wtf

53. Soren
    Date: Wed, Dec 12 2012 22:48:10

Do you think you'll ever stop spinning? (you would still do simple tricks when you have a normal pen in your hand, but just never sitting down for like 30 minutes and having pen spinning session) @i.suk

54. i.suk
    Date: Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:16:02

Do you think you'll ever stop spinning? (you would still do simple tricks when you have a normal pen in your hand, but just never sitting down for like 30 minutes and having pen spinning session) stop spinning? i think i'd still spin every now and then for the rest of my life haha, even if i have no 'time' i've found i can maintain my spinning level with little dedicated practice, maybe i'd just do a 30 second fl combo before i sleep every night or something xD

55. fang
    Date: Thu, Dec 13 2012 13:33:57

creative spinning: What is your idea of creative spinning? Who is you favorite creative spinner? and why? Do you concider Fell2fram as creative or highly technical (or both) and why? Do you concider Hippo2626 as creative or highly technical (or both) and why? Do you think penspinning have a lack of creative spinners? How far do you think penspinnig will go with the creative concepts of 2h and xp2h/1h? off-topic: When do you call something "art"? When do you call something "music"? Is penspinning an art if your eyes? or a skill? and why? Howmuch is Art inportant in your life? (Sorry for these guestions from a wannebe creative artist ;))

56. i.suk
    Date: Sun, Dec 16 2012 14:21:07

What is your idea of creative spinning? anything different from the...mainstream (?), using different linkages/tricks/concepts etc Who is you favorite creative spinner? and why? probably baimai or fire@fox, baimai uses an entirely different view of 2h and fire@fox has really insane finger flexibility linkages Do you consider Fel2fram as creative or highly technical (or both) and why? both, he uses unique linkages with a different flow/feeling, but he can also do crazy topspins/continuous stuff, also his creativity has a technical basis of going through the trick list and modifying everything in a systematic fashion Do you consider Hippo2626 as creative or highly technical (or both) and why? both, he has researched and analysed his own material really well (see his breakdowns), and he uses new ideas too Do you think penspinning have a lack of creative spinners? yes How far do you think penspinnig will go with the creative concepts of 2h and xp2h/1h? there is a lot that can be done, but not many who explore it off-topic: When do you call something "art"? it must be expressive of emotions in some way, and appeal in a visual/mental manner When do you call something "music"? organised/deliberate sounds that achieve some effect/overall impact i guess, it's hard to define Is penspinning an art if your eyes? or a skill? and why? PS is hard to be a true art since emotions are hard to convey, but it's possible to convey calmness/effortlessness/recklessness/disorganisation/strength...but not in the way that a painting or song can Howmuch is Art inportant in your life? hmm...it makes life enjoyable, so it is very important :D

57. Walkaz
    Date: Sun, Dec 16 2012 14:58:12

do you prefer the commonly seen "sexy" spinning or weird/unique spinning? what's your definition of ugly style?

58. utkarsh
    Date: Tue, Dec 18 2012 04:44:00

how would you describe peem if you were to write an essay? :P

59. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Dec 18 2012 10:12:59

do you prefer the commonly seen "sexy" spinning or weird/unique spinning? both what's your definition of ugly style? hmm...it's hard to define, just something which looks ugly? LOL. but you can combine various individually 'ugly' hand motions/finger positions into a style which doesn't seem ugly as a whole how would you describe peem if you were to write an essay powerful beyond comprehension

60. Gash
    Date: Tue, Dec 18 2012 11:29:08

When did you first find out about P from PSH? Did you propose to P or did he propose to you? How did your date with him go? So can we meet up tomorrow?

61. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Dec 18 2012 14:58:15

@Gash you're too sexy, i'd try to meet you if it wasn't for your 9001 fangirl army