UPSB v4

Fundamental Tricks / shadow fundamental trick tutorial

1. Zelphus
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 23:57:48

Hi there!I've been learning shadow(normal)for 2 months already and cannot get anything out of it.So guys,can you give me some tips?Thank you in advance.

2. LightSpinner
    Date: Wed, Dec 5 2012 00:12:59

Well for starters, shadow isn't a fundemental trick.

3. Materia
    Date: Wed, Dec 5 2012 02:59:40

What LightSpinner said. Also, try to just swing in the motion required and let go. The objective of the shadow is to have the pen spin on the back of your hand. Just don't be afraid to let go and practice, I managed to learn it in around 5 days.

4. Lastride29
    Date: Wed, Dec 5 2012 03:51:15

What Markopokodude said, let it go and don't be afraid of dropping it, there is not a spinner that hasn't dropped the pen to learn a new linkage or a new trick ;).

5. Escorpio123
    Date: Wed, Dec 5 2012 03:52:46

What Markopokodude, Lastride29 and LightSpinner said. Plus, every time you drop it, you will notice in what to improve and in what to not do next time, that's how tricks are learned and master IMO :).

6. Walkaz
    Date: Wed, Dec 5 2012 04:07:34

LightSpinner wrote: Well for starters, shadow isn't a fundemental trick.
    :rofl: :rofl: put index below middle,flick your hand and dont move the position of your fingers at all

7. Giotto
    Date: Wed, Dec 5 2012 05:57:59

All of the above.and perhaps,try to swing it with your arm not just your hand then let it go(lower your index finger too).then catch it by lifting your index finger up.hope this help:)

8. Obstracized
    Date: Wed, Dec 5 2012 09:52:19

It is always palm down. It has 1.5 Revolutions, It is easy when more of the pen is outward than inward. You don't have to swing all of your hand, you can do it by only whipping your wrist. When you whip your wrist, your middle finger must be higher than your index finger. When the pen turns 180 degrees, try to stick all of your fingers and make it flat (no fingers are either higher or lower). When it's on the 360 Degree spin, put your index finger up to catch the pen, and it makes the 0.5 Revolution.

9. Cerberus
    Date: Wed, Dec 5 2012 21:08:16

What everyone above me said. When you let go, try to give some space for the pen to go above the finger. Once you get good at making it leave the fingers try to keep your fingers up so your pen could balance on your hand, after understanding how to balance it on your fingers from practice, start trying to catch it ^_^ Also, look at video tutorials until you understand the concept if you didn't already do so I tried to learn it since the second day I started spinning and recently just mastered it. Good Luck!

10. penmaster
    Date: Mon, Dec 10 2012 04:46:45

just a tip: watch a video tutorial about shadow tricks, you should watch it in slow-mo.. then practice :)

11. Nemory
    Date: Sat, Jan 5 2013 10:26:34

i have watched a shadow tutorial by KTrinh, but i can't do it yet.

12. UkPSkU
    Date: Fri, Feb 15 2013 09:18:30

I like the shadow :) @DangoodwinzIFP

13. shadow41989
    Date: Sun, Feb 24 2013 00:26:21

when you first start the shadow, it feels unnatural compared to other tricks because of the perceived lack of control. you will drop it a whole lot, but once you get comfortable with "freehanding" the pen, its not so bad. Like they said, give it a few days practice and you'll figure out your hand position, launch angle, and catch position. from there its just a matter of adding it together. hope this helped and good luck!

14. 2JackofSpade
    Date: Sat, Mar 2 2013 08:21:01

penmaster wrote: just a tip: watch a video tutorial about shadow tricks, you should watch it in slow-mo.. then practice :)
    that's it, for shadow, i found my self more improve when watch tutorial in slow mo. maybe it work for you too :D

15. Ecnunn
    Date: Mon, Mar 4 2013 21:19:59

for the release, it needs perfect timing so that the pen doesn't fly out if released too early, or across the hand if too late. to catch, i generally move the middle finger down a bit while raising the index a bit (assuming u want to catch on 1-2 finger slot)

16. Etienne
    Date: Thu, Jul 18 2013 10:41:11

Try to learn the sonic 1.5 before the shadow, it could help you. Do a basic sonic but let the pen spinning on the top of your hand. When you'll have this, the shadow will seems easier ;)

17. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Sat, Jul 20 2013 07:42:33

Sonic 1.5 IS a shadow.

18. Happiface
    Date: Wed, Nov 20 2013 15:35:42

what is it called when you try to do a shadow but it just spins on the back of your hand, then eventually falls in a finger slot? is there a name for that?