UPSB v4

Off-topic / Great free online courses

1. Mats
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 13:08:38

Ok so the website is www.coursera.org They have a huge amount of courses, offered for free. I'm currently doing a few of them. I found out about it through a friend of mine (PHD in maths) who is running one of them and have found it to be excellent thus far. I'm currently enrolled on 'Drugs and the Brain' and 'Introduction to astronomy'. These courses are fairly advanced level and appear to aimed really at adults, who want to do some extra learning in free time. Anyway, anyone who has 6 hours or more free in a week, in which they would like to do some studying, I highly recommend having a look through the courses. Each course gives you an estimate on how many hours a week they expect you will need to put in. What benefits are there? I'm not exactly sure how an employer would view it if you're putting down that you do these in your spare time. I guess definitely not badly, but I don't know how much merit you would get. Still, I'd rather spend 6 hours a week learning about astronomy than spend 6 pointless, mindless hours on Youtube... Anyway, friends I've spoken to about this have greeted it with enthusiasm and so I thought I would share it on here too.

2. fang
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 13:57:49

Thanks for this Mats!

3. Pixels
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 14:41:45

Yeah this is great. I did the entire course of machine learning. Rly benefitted me.

4. Soren
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 15:35:53

Wow this is a great way to learn new things without spending too much time! I'm planning to take part in some philosophy courses and perhaps astronomy. Thanks for sharing!

5. Quake
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 21:57:10

Much appreciation Mats.

6. Kari
    Date: Tue, Dec 4 2012 22:42:49

That's really interesting. I don't have too much free time these days but that's definitely something I'm interested in. :)

7. Soren
    Date: Mon, Jan 28 2013 15:27:42

My Philosophy course started today yay!