UPSB v4

Off-topic / Laptop Graphics Card

1. Jan
    Date: Thu, Nov 22 2012 16:22:29

So I didn't want to revive any dead threads so made a new one. I'm planning on getting a graphics card update for my HP Pavilion i7 laptop. Currently, it has the Intel 4000 which is junk. I was looking in amazon when I found this: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Express-Graphics-01G-P3-1302-LR/dp/B0049MPQA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353601018&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+graphics+card Can I use this on my laptop? Will I need to actually have to dismantle my computer in order to do so? Or can I plug it in somehow externally? Help.

2. xoxe
    Date: Thu, Nov 22 2012 18:04:15

Took from a spanish thread:

First u have to see if ur laptop is able to change the GC, there a web that show the laptops ables to be changed. [B]http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table.html[/B] whatever, the GCs are a bit expensive, u should see if is better to take another laptop or normal PC. The graphic card that u showed us is for a normal PC with PCI express port, [B]btw that Geforce 8400 gs is a bit old, if u wanna something good, buy something better[/B]. PD: dont follow that page only, u have to search too if ur laptop has MXM port.

3. XYZaki
    Date: Thu, Nov 22 2012 20:35:43

LOL You can't install a desktop Video card into a laptop unless you setup an eGPU, which is only possible with an ExpressCard slot (see quote below). Also an HD4000 can actually run a lot of games if you can get the settings right. You can't run Crysis, but LoL, Diablo, and CSS should run fine. Anyways, refer to the post I made in your other thread.

XYZaki wrote: You CAN replace the GPU of a laptop. However your choices are limited to replacement parts from other laptops. Such as this. You need to make sure it's compatible first. Another solution is an eGPU. Basically, you use an adapter to turn the ExpressCard port of your laptop into a PCI-E 1.0 slot. Then you buy a video card of your choice. There is some bottleneck but it will be much better than your integrated graphics. You will also need to buy a power supply to power the graphics card. You also won't be able to render the graphics from the eGPU onto your laptop's screen, you will have to use an external monitor, which is fine if you already have a dual monitor setup with your lappy tappy. You can read more about this laborious process here. Of course, this is assuming you even have an Expresscard slot. Otherwise, it's a lot of work just to play games. Buy a fucking PC.
    If not being able to play vidya is such a big issue, sell your laptop on eBay and buy one with discrete graphics.

4. PenwisH
    Date: Fri, Nov 23 2012 12:18:26

and by right settings he means looks like poop. you can actually change/modify graphics but it takes a lot of soldering and modding skills. Since you asked if a desktop graphics card can be used in a laptop I high suggest you just sell your laptop and rebuy.