UPSB v4

General Discussion / Heavier Mods/Hard tricks as a beginner

1. TheAafg
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 06:17:33

Sup UPSB. So everyone who has some experience will spinning knows that there's some issue concerning the mod you spin or the order of tricks you learn. As a beginner if you spin a heavier mod you get looked down upon, I am not sure if this is a UPSB only issue or it also applies to different boards. I want to see the general opinion of people on this issue. Do you think heavier mods/harder tricks are harmful for beginners? why or why not? -Visionaries.

2. Mats
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 06:27:25

"Harder tricks are bad, heavier mods are good"

3. JackyMacky
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 06:28:00

If I was your buster~~ Yool speen liek a bawsss~~~~~~~~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gUXukQu18I

4. Tentcell
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 06:29:21

Well the way I look at it is you don't go into a weight room and start curling the heaviest weights in there. I understand that this is a little bit different with pen spinning since pens are obviously much lighter then weights, but I think that the constant reps of something brand new to your hands probably isn't the best for it. I mean I don't give two shits what you spin with, but I would think it would be "healthier" to spin lighter then gradually work up to heavy mods. But yeah, I don't think it really matters what you spin with, it's all about how you spin it.

5. i.suk
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 06:38:45

1. not focusing on style and flow kills style and flow, not mod 2. 'using buster early' or similar statement in this post hereafter = using a kt/buster-ish mod (something which feels heavier when spun than a waterfall or cheat comssa i guess) after the spinner can do a decent fingerpass/fingerpass rev (of course, using heavy mods at the very very beginning, as opposed to early, is probably not recommended) 3. there is abundant evidence proving that as long as 1. is maintained, using buster early does not give someone ugly style, poor flow, lack of linkages or bad continuous 4. 'learning harder tricks early leads to bad execution', well this statement is stupid because even if any spinner sought to increase his/her difficulty, the execution of the new harder material is usually not as good regardless of experience; generally you have to learn something harder and then refine it before using it in videos 5. do whatever you want, spin for yourself, but...trying to learn everything on an mx or dc comssa is probably more difficult (i.e. you spend a longer period of time to gain the same progress* as someone who uses a heavier mod) 6. using heavy mods early doesn't mean you can't spin light stuff well later, it's just practice as usual *progress as in ability regardless of mod, after all, wt and wc judgments are not meant to take mod into account

6. Twine
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:15:08

Learning with a heavier mod is better in my opinion. Once you have grasped the trick on a heavy mod, you can just learn it on something lighter. Heavy mods are excellent tools for learning. Lighter mods are great for refining. Just remember, the three most important things above everything else are smoothness, innovation and style. Seriously, cannot emphasize that enough... Take Raimo for example. Unbelievable smoothness, in my opinion the smoothest spinner in the history of pen spinning. He has a classy as fuck style. So classy and unique. And he showed a ton innovation trick/style wise in every combo.

7. ChainBreak
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:35:56

Starting with a heavier mod most people tend to rely on the mod more than on their own ability. When they move to lighter mods most won't be able to do a fingerpass, because they have always relied on the mod to do the work. If people start with light mods they [B]have[/B] to learn controlling the pen, because the light mod won't leave them with another option. They can't rely on the mod itself so they can only rely on their own ability and will without a doubt improve their control. Once they have control and the confidence to execute their tricks they will improve rapidly so their progress is more explosive. When they find their pace they will gain what s777 called a ''intellectual spin''. By having the confidence to rely on their own ability they will be able to create linkages on their own, the ability to combine tricks in a completely different manner, the ability to surpass any existing spinner. The pen won't move on it's own, the pen will stop moving as soon as you stop moving your fingers. The only choice is to keep moving the fingers and it won't matter which direction or which spin you apply the pen always follow your fingers. A heavy mod on the other hand will make it more likely to just follow the flow of the pen. If it's moving down you just continue to move it down. If it has a shadow spin you just continue the shadow spin. As soon as you try to change the spin or direction you will meet the resistence of inertia. The chance of having a one directional and for me a borin spinning is much greater. This is what I can tell only from my experiences. Of course different people can have different experiences with this.

8. i.suk
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:47:56

ChainBreak wrote: Starting with a heavier mod most people tend to rely on the mod more than on their own ability. When they move to lighter mods most won't be able to do a fingerpass, because they have always relied on the mod to do the work. If people start with light mods they [B]have[/B] to learn controlling the pen, because the light mod won't leave them with another option. They can't rely on the mod itself so they can only rely on their own ability and will without a doubt improve their control. Once they have control and the confidence to execute their tricks they will improve rapidly so their progress is more explosive. When they find their pace they will gain what s777 called a ''intellectual spin''. By having the confidence to rely on their own ability they will be able to create linkages on their own, the ability to combine tricks in a completely different manner, the ability to surpass any existing spinner. The pen won't move on it's own, the pen will stop moving as soon as you stop moving your fingers. The only choice is to keep moving the fingers and it won't matter which direction or which spin you apply the pen always follow your fingers. A heavy mod on the other hand will make it more likely to just follow the flow of the pen. If it's moving down you just continue to move it down. If it has a shadow spin you just continue the shadow spin. As soon as you try to change the spin or direction you will meet the resistence of inertia. The chance of having a one directional and for me a borin spinning is much greater. This is what I can tell only from my experiences. Of course different people can have different experiences with this.
    you speak as though 'own ability' is very mod-dependent, so your reasoning fits your definition, i guess... but why would you learn something which is already hard (at first, i think most people can't even land their first tricks 5% of the time) on a light mod, making it even harder for yourself? better to solidify the muscle memory on an easier-to-spin mod, then training on the lighter mod later (thus making learning easier and still ensuring that so-called refinement you speak of) speaking of which that refinement from spinning light mods can easily be achieved by a 'heavy' mod spinner if they just spin a light mod every now and then...due to my above reasoning, that path is probably easier in most cases than spinning purely light mods from the very start heavy mods leading to unidirectional spinning due to them being heavier? it makes sense in physics theory, but in practice, spinners adapt to the weights of their mods, and stuff like counters aren't that much harder to learn on heavy mods than on light ones (in fact, heavy mods give more margin of error at first, allowing you to grasp the muscle memory of the trick before you might choose to refine it further on a light or heavy mod)...and the mod being any heavier won't impede learning direction changes if your fingers have the basic strength to push the pen (which even from an early stage, most spinners have, it's just adjusting to the weight which can be done in a few hours-days) what you said is from your experience, fair enough, to each his own ^^ just that i don't think there's that much 'proof' in practice among the wider community that supports it xD

9. ChainBreak
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:10:19

I was trying to write from my experience as a beginner. When I started I used a rather heavy pen and just learned the tricks and when I went to spinning I wouldn't know how to change the direction of the pen. Afterwards I used light mods and just discovered I couldn't do shit. My own ability was lacking and I just didn't notice, because I relied too much on the pen. I don't know if you can remember your very first spinning experiences and how you developed in your early days, but looking back at that time I really wish I had just started with lighter mods and gained some control first. Using a heavy mod which makes it easier to execute a trick your picture of your ability won't be as clear and you tend to overestimate your ability more. Landing 9/10 on a heavy mod and landing 9/10 on a light mod is just a big difference.

10. Reason
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 14:05:36

tbh im sick of these threads/discussions. no one agrees on it and theres usually "evidence" that supports both claims. that being said, its totally dependent on the person learning. im sure there are wrong turns in this process but thats for the person learning to find out. i think that learning fundamentals on a lighter pen (comssa/metal comssa/mx/rushon) is a good idea, but when you feel like its time to move on dont just ask someone what pen you should buy/make. make the pen that reaches out to you. if it happens to be a buster then oh well, maybe its best for you. so i voted for "do whatever you want" since thats the closest to my opinion.

11. Kiiro
    Date: Sat, Nov 17 2012 16:26:46

I think beginners can use harder tricks if they've mastered fundamentals and a decent number of other tricks, and move on to heavier mods if they want to start learning power tricks AFTER they can do smooth linkages and combos.

12. PERSIST
    Date: Sun, Nov 18 2012 02:38:31

MASSIVE debate topic. Heavier mods and harder tricks are harmful to a beginner, imo, but only because if you dive straight into a buster w/o any knowledge to psing will hurt your hands at first, a comssa is the limit for a totally fresh beginner. And of course, harder tricks take longer to learn/master, you need the fundamentals and hybrids before power tricks. Any arguements against this post will be ignored. Good day.

13. TheAafg
    Date: Sun, Nov 18 2012 04:36:22

Reason;233165]tbh im sick of these threads/discussions. no one agrees on it and theres usually "evidence" that supports both claims. .[/QUOTE] hmm what evidence is there supporting that heavier mods for beginners are bad? [QUOTE=Jay4 wrote: MASSIVE debate topic. Heavier mods and harder tricks are harmful to a beginner, imo, but only because if you dive straight into a buster w/o any knowledge to psing will hurt your hands at first, a comssa is the limit for a totally fresh beginner. And of course, harder tricks take longer to learn/master, you need the fundamentals and hybrids before power tricks. Any arguements against this post will be ignored. Good day.
    lol mate , practising with even a pencil for a long period of time will hurt your hands as a beginner. Never has there ever been a case where a beginner started using a buster and ended up with hand-aids or something. "a comssa is the limit for a totally fresh beginner"? not sure if srs. You literally provide no reasoning behind your opinion and then proceed to say that anyone who disagrees with you will be ignored. Nice one.

14. Benedict
    Date: Sun, Nov 18 2012 15:24:29

Heavy mods are ok, but hard tricks are bad. Many beginners think heavier mods spin better,because they have more momentum, but they are actually wrong. Heavier mods are harder to spin, because we need more force to push the mod, and it is worse for beginners because their fingers aren't that strong. Heavy mods actually don't have a lot of momentum because of their weight.If you want a mod with a lot of momentum, I would recommend a long & light mod. Hard tricks are bad for beginners. Beginners learning hard tricks are like little kids learning algebra before knowing how to do simple math. Spinners should master all the fundamental tricks before learning advanced tricks. If a spinner can't do a thumbaround, how should they learn palmspin, punnew, haitua or punkan? The conclusion is, beginners can choose any mods they want, but they should learn fundamental tricks first before learning advanced tricks.

15. Mats
    Date: Sun, Nov 18 2012 15:46:20

Benedict wrote: Many beginners think heavier mods spin better,because they have more momentum, but they are actually wrong. Heavier mods are harder to spin, because we need more force to push the mod, and it is worse for beginners because their fingers aren't that strong. Heavy mods actually don't have a lot of momentum because of their weight.
    :wtf: Of course heavier mods have more momentum and of course they are easier to spin. If heavier mods were in fact, harder to spin (which they aren't), everyone would be using the lightest mod they could (which they aren't) and most mods would make supreme efforts to keep weight down to a mimimum (which they aren't).

16. Reason
    Date: Sun, Nov 18 2012 17:19:51

@TheAafg well i have heard from people that when you learn fundamentals on buster you dont have as much control later on (alot of claims like this). notice evidence in quotes as in people make claims or speak from opinion or experience and call it evidence. again, i think its dependent on the spinner. i dont think someone else's claim can be 100% true for someone else.

17. TheAafg
    Date: Sun, Nov 18 2012 17:26:05

Reason wrote: @TheAafg well i have heard from people that when you learn fundamentals on buster you dont have as much control later on (alot of claims like this). notice evidence in quotes as in people make claims or speak from opinion or experience and call it evidence. again, i think its dependent on the spinner. i dont think someone else's claim can be 100% true for someone else.
    that is simply not true. Control is learned through practise, you will have to practise a lot to have good control regardless of the weight of your mod. Lets take iColor for example, he started spinning with a buster and now has a really good control.

18. Reason
    Date: Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:50:48

@TheAafg ... holy shit dude... im not disagreeing with you... im saying that these claims have little support and thats it. i dont agree with any of them because they are usually exaggerated or have little backing them up. haha... somehow when i try to be neutral i end up offending someone's opinion. sorry i was just trying to speak a little more objectively. i guess cynicism doesnt communicate well through text.

19. Zephyr
    Date: Mon, Nov 19 2012 02:23:03

What is the definition of a '"heavier mod"? Would a waterfall be considered "heavy"? Is a waterfall bad for beginners?

20. PERSIST
    Date: Mon, Nov 19 2012 05:49:05

TheAafg;233290]lol mate , practising with even a pencil for a long period of time will hurt your hands as a beginner. Never has there ever been a case where a beginner started using a buster and ended up with hand-aids or something. "a comssa is the limit for a totally fresh beginner"? not sure if srs. You literally provide no reasoning behind your opinion and then proceed to say that anyone who disagrees with you will be ignored. Nice one.[/QUOTE] Sir, I am not here to take part in any debate. This thread is, I assume, for inputting your own opinions, not to argue and clash your opinion with other people's. In any case, I will not argue because I genuinely respect your opinion, even if it is the opposite of mine, and I request that you respect my opinion in turn. And yes, I was not a man of my word, I couldn't ignore your post easily, but I am not going to argue, but I do request everybody here just respect everyone else's opinions because we're not all the same, and there's no point arguing about it, we all know a debate will not end happily so please don't waste yours or my time. Basically, an opinion is an opinion, you can't make it a fact, so save the effort for something useful. [QUOTE=Nichochenachi wrote: What is the definition of a '"heavier mod"? Would a waterfall be considered "heavy"? Is a waterfall bad for beginners?
    A heavier mod is a mod that's heavy [B]for you. Everybody has their own opinion of what's heavy and what's not.[/B] Just get what you think you can handle, I'm actually going against my former opinion but you should really just do what you want. Just because everyone spins a certain pen, you don't have to, there's no standard. It's like asking someone "what color should I favor?" To me, a waterfall mod could be dead heavy, to you it would be uber light. It's your call, nobody else's.

21. Zephyr
    Date: Mon, Nov 19 2012 17:49:50

Jay4 wrote: A heavier mod is a mod that's heavy [B]for you. Everybody has their own opinion of what's heavy and what's not.[/B] Just get what you think you can handle, I'm actually going against my former opinion but you should really just do what you want. Just because everyone spins a certain pen, you don't have to, there's no standard. It's like asking someone "what color should I favor?" To me, a waterfall mod could be dead heavy, to you it would be uber light. It's your call, nobody else's.
    AHHH lol.... So if I'm still learning charge, would a waterfall not be the best choice? Also, what is the weight of a metal comssa? Thanks, -Nicho

22. Joiemoie
    Date: Mon, Nov 19 2012 20:57:48

I'll just say to get an easier pen. I won't go into the style arguments or learning curves whatever. I just think that you should use a more basic pen and learn stuff, and if you like pen spinning, buy better pens. Too many times I have seen people buy expensive pens and just quit spinning or just learn tricks that can be done with pretty much any pen or pencil. Only buy the heavy mods if you really want one.

23. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 00:51:39

to whoever voted "Harder tricks are good, heavier mods are bad."... have fun making hard stuff even harder for yourself to learn :rofl: gl but it's a good test of patience and builds character

24. ohzers
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 00:54:41

Dumbbells are usually good for palmspins and spiderspins

25. PERSIST
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 02:27:07

Nichochenachi wrote: AHHH lol.... So if I'm still learning charge, would a waterfall not be the best choice? Also, what is the weight of a metal comssa? Thanks, -Nicho
    Any pen is good for learning the charge. If you really want a waterfall, then get a waterfall. I really can't recommend a pen b/c we're all different. But if it matters, then in my opinion, a waterfall is good for learning any trick because I feel that it's got excellent momentum, and unbalanced mods like RSVP MXs are terrible for learning and executing tricks (tried taking parts off one side of my mods to make it unbalanced, horrible idea) but that's just my opinion, many people will disagree so just pick a pen, if it's too light/heavy, then experiment around with what weight you're comfortable with. My only issue with the waterfall mod is that the Dr. Grip grips get dusty too easily, so I transformed it into my own personal comssa mod, just added different grips tho =/. Also, idk the exact weight of a metallic comssa, but from what I've read, it doesn't differ too much from an MX, so I'm imagining it to be a balanced version of an MX that's either a bit lighter or a bit heavier. And it is a balanced pen, I know that for a fact.

26. casual
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 02:56:33

Jay4 wrote: Any pen is good for learning the charge. If you really want a waterfall, then get a waterfall. I really can't recommend a pen b/c we're all different. But if it matters, then in my opinion, a waterfall is good for learning any trick because I feel that it's got excellent momentum, and unbalanced mods like RSVP MXs are terrible for learning and executing tricks (tried taking parts off one side of my mods to make it unbalanced, horrible idea) but that's just my opinion, many people will disagree so just pick a pen, if it's too light/heavy, then experiment around with what weight you're comfortable with. My only issue with the waterfall mod is that the Dr. Grip grips get dusty too easily, so I transformed it into my own personal comssa mod, just added different grips tho =/. Also, idk the exact weight of a metallic comssa, but from what I've read, it doesn't differ too much from an MX, so I'm imagining it to be a balanced version of an MX that's either a bit lighter or a bit heavier. And it is a balanced pen, I know that for a fact.
    I don't think you emphasized that this is your opinion enough.

27. Zephyr
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 03:08:28

Jay4 wrote: Any pen is good for learning the charge. If you really want a waterfall, then get a waterfall. I really can't recommend a pen b/c we're all different. But if it matters, then in my opinion, a waterfall is good for learning any trick because I feel that it's got excellent momentum, and unbalanced mods like RSVP MXs are terrible for learning and executing tricks (tried taking parts off one side of my mods to make it unbalanced, horrible idea) but that's just my opinion, many people will disagree so just pick a pen, if it's too light/heavy, then experiment around with what weight you're comfortable with. My only issue with the waterfall mod is that the Dr. Grip grips get dusty too easily, so I transformed it into my own personal comssa mod, just added different grips tho =/. Also, idk the exact weight of a metallic comssa, but from what I've read, it doesn't differ too much from an MX, so I'm imagining it to be a balanced version of an MX that's either a bit lighter or a bit heavier. And it is a balanced pen, I know that for a fact.
    But is the waterfall like a Buster CYL where I will suck in the future, or is it considered a lighter and less heavy mod?

28. PERSIST
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 03:21:26

Nichochenachi wrote: But is the waterfall like a Buster CYL where I will suck in the future, or is it considered a lighter and less heavy mod?
    I will make a buster on christmas, so until then I have no idea how heavy it may be. But keep in mind, a Waterfall mod weighs about 15 grams, a buster 20, so a Waterfall is quite lighter than a buster. And, heavy contradicting here, but you're not guarenteed to go wrong by starting out with a buster, if you feel that it's too heavy for your hands to handle, then change course and aim for lighter mods and put the buster aside for later on when you're ready. If you don't change and it's really feeling heavy and uncomfortable, then you might go wrong with either a hand injury/ache or your progress is just slowed down because you can only spin with a buster for a very short period of time. A waterfall mod isn't as heavy as a buster, it's certainly lighter (that's a fact), but you can start with either one and not suck in the future, it just depends if your hands approve of a waterfall or not. I didn't really know either when I ordered my waterfall comssa mod, I just tried it out and told myself if it was too heavy or light, I could modify it into my own pen that fits for me.

29. Zephyr
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 03:43:04

Jay4 wrote: I will make a buster on christmas, so until then I have no idea how heavy it may be. But keep in mind, a Waterfall mod weighs about 15 grams, a buster 20, so a Waterfall is quite lighter than a buster. And, heavy contradicting here, but you're not guarenteed to go wrong by starting out with a buster, if you feel that it's too heavy for your hands to handle, then change course and aim for lighter mods and put the buster aside for later on when you're ready. If you don't change and it's really feeling heavy and uncomfortable, then you might go wrong with either a hand injury/ache or your progress is just slowed down because you can only spin with a buster for a very short period of time. A waterfall mod isn't as heavy as a buster, it's certainly lighter (that's a fact), but you can start with either one and not suck in the future, it just depends if your hands approve of a waterfall or not. I didn't really know either when I ordered my waterfall comssa mod, I just tried it out and told myself if it was too heavy or light, I could modify it into my own pen that fits for me.
    Is it a better idea to learn the tricks on my waterfall(get the motions down) and then master them on my modified bictory? Like use the bictory as my practice pen while my waterfall is my learn pen?

30. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 03:59:02

Jay4 wrote: a buster 20
    airfit jell tipped buster is about 17.5g, and a waterfall using dr grip grip that covers nearly all the reynolds cap would be ~ 16g combined with the fact that waterfall's superpirat body is thinner, this makes waterfall feel heavier when spinning --> the difference isn't as huge as you think.

31. PERSIST
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 05:24:53

Nichochenachi;233616]Is it a better idea to learn the tricks on my waterfall(get the motions down) and then master them on my modified bictory? Like use the bictory as my practice pen while my waterfall is my learn pen?[/QUOTE] Try and spin a waterfall mod first. The waterfall mod's momentum can be helpful to learn tricks, but the bictory might be all you need. [QUOTE=i.suk;233618]airfit jell tipped buster is about 17.5g, and a waterfall using dr grip grip that covers nearly all the reynolds cap would be ~ 16g combined with the fact that waterfall's superpirat body is thinner, this makes waterfall feel heavier when spinning --> the difference isn't as huge as you think.[/QUOTE] :huh: I simply based the weight stats off of the wiki, which says the buster is about 20 grams and the waterfall mod's about 15 grams. And an airfit gel has lighter tips than a ballpoint, btw. [QUOTE=casual wrote: I don't think you emphasized that this is your opinion enough.
    Opinions are not very important. They're just advice for people, and giving your opinion may mislead people to do the things that they didn't want.

32. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 07:05:09

jell tip weight ~ 3.6g, ballpoint ~ 4.8g, and muji ~ 5.12g (from memory, should be correct to 1 decimal place) @Jay4 did you think i wouldn't know the difference? :rofl: also, the barrel thickness is a huge factor to perceived weight when spinning (as opposed to just the weight of the mod) even though a bic + 2 comssa caps + airfit grips and tips weighs LESS than a buster (which is the same except ST body), the bic-bodied mod will feel much heavier to spin due to thinness of body although we're spiralling off topic here...

33. PERSIST
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 07:30:31

Yes, we are getting a little off topic. The point is the buster is heavier than the waterfall mod, even if it's just a couple grams, which I cannot confirm whether or not their weight difference is noticeable until I make my own buster. In any case, I suggest we put the whole weight difference thing aside, it's not important right now. Nicho can make get a waterfall mod if he wants to try it out (although I did suggest him to try it out), which was really the topic anyway.

34. i.suk
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 08:31:14

Jay4 wrote: In any case, I suggest we put the whole weight difference thing aside, it's not important right now. Nicho can make get a waterfall mod if he wants to try it out (although I did suggest him to try it out), which was really the topic anyway.
    actually, mod recommendation is not the topic of this thread the topic of this thread is more relating to the effect of mod choice on spinners early on in learning tricks, and the difficulty of the tricks learnt

35. Zephyr
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 15:50:37

i.suk;233632]jell tip weight ~ 3.6g, ballpoint ~ 4.8g, and muji ~ 5.12g (from memory, should be correct to 1 decimal place) @Jay4 did you think i wouldn't know the difference? :rofl: also, the barrel thickness is a huge factor to perceived weight when spinning (as opposed to just the weight of the mod) even though a bic + 2 comssa caps + airfit grips and tips weighs LESS than a buster (which is the same except ST body), the bic-bodied mod will feel much heavier to spin due to thinness of body although we're spiralling off topic here...[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Jay4 wrote: Yes, we are getting a little off topic. The point is the buster is heavier than the waterfall mod, even if it's just a couple grams, which I cannot confirm whether or not their weight difference is noticeable until I make my own buster. In any case, I suggest we put the whole weight difference thing aside, it's not important right now. Nicho can make get a waterfall mod if he wants to try it out (although I did suggest him to try it out), which was really the topic anyway.
    So, just to be clear, using a waterfall to learn all my tricks(including fundamentals) from now on if I enjoy its specs(barrel thickness, length, weight) is not going to kill my pen spinning in the future?

36. PERSIST
    Date: Tue, Nov 20 2012 17:10:29

Nichochenachi;233668]So, just to be clear, using a waterfall to learn all my tricks(including fundamentals) from now on if I enjoy its specs(barrel thickness, length, weight) is not going to kill my pen spinning in the future?[/QUOTE] Correct, if you can comfortably spin the pen, then nothing else really matters. [QUOTE=i.suk wrote: actually, mod recommendation is not the topic of this thread the topic of this thread is more relating to the effect of mod choice on spinners early on in learning tricks, and the difficulty of the tricks learnt
    ...Fine.

37. Apocalyptic Shadows
    Date: Wed, Nov 21 2012 09:52:39

Do whatever you want lol. Unless like your hand is way too small for the mod.

38. Zephyr
    Date: Wed, Nov 21 2012 22:43:07

I'm really excited for my Waterfall Mod to arrive..... Thank you all for your advice! I think that it will increase my spinning a lot. So in my opinion(to answer the original thread) I think that Heavier Mods are fine, so are hard tricks.

39. EINTKALILFG
    Date: Fri, Nov 23 2012 10:32:49

I started out with a light mod; a BICtory. After seven or eight months or so, I bought a Waterfall. I used that for about four months and then bought a Buster. I used the Buster for probably another two months and then bought a VGG Emboss. I did things the "right" way but not the best way for me. Every mod I've used (Buster included) prior to the VGG Emboss felt extremely undersized and light. I'm about 6'2" and my hands are pretty large; 22 centimeters from palm to middle finger tip, not to mention that I play the guitar left handed (right hand for fretting) but spin with my right hand. The reason I started light and worked my way up was because that was what I was "supposed" to do but now, I wish I hadn't. I voted for "Do whatever you want" because I don't believe that there is any standard that needs to be followed. Everyone is different. I see a lot of jealousy and elitism in debates like this. In my opinion, it comes down to a case of "I did it this way, so everyone else should have to." People at one point didn't have Busters or other heavy mods, nor the wealth of references that YouTube provides so they had to go about learning the "hard way" and it seems that they maintain an elitist attitude that their "hardships" in learning make them superior. Just my opinion though...

40. Zephyr
    Date: Sat, Nov 24 2012 07:12:14

EINTKALILFG wrote: I started out with a light mod; a BICtory. After seven or eight months or so, I bought a Waterfall. I used that for about four months and then bought a Buster. I used the Buster for probably another two months and then bought a VGG Emboss. I did things the "right" way but not the best way for me. Every mod I've used (Buster included) prior to the VGG Emboss felt extremely undersized and light. I'm about 6'2" and my hands are pretty large; 22 centimeters from palm to middle finger tip, not to mention that I play the guitar left handed (right hand for fretting) but spin with my right hand. The reason I started light and worked my way up was because that was what I was "supposed" to do but now, I wish I hadn't. I voted for "Do whatever you want" because I don't believe that there is any standard that needs to be followed. Everyone is different. I see a lot of jealousy and elitism in debates like this. In my opinion, it comes down to a case of "I did it this way, so everyone else should have to." People at one point didn't have Busters or other heavy mods, nor the wealth of references that YouTube provides so they had to go about learning the "hard way" and it seems that they maintain an elitist attitude that their "hardships" in learning make them superior. Just my opinion though...
    Well Said. I agree now that my waterfall just arrived in the mail, and I LOVE it. It is something you have to get used to, but I still use my bictory a lot just to make sure I still can spin light mods. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

41. jantosh11
    Date: Fri, Dec 21 2012 00:05:18

From my experience I started out spinning with a pencil for about a month and learned all of the fundamentals really well and could do some mini combos, and then I switched to a bictory which I find very adequate for my spinning needs. So I would say to stay with a lighter mod to avoid killing style and control. btw heaviest mod I've spun is an MSXA.

42. 20%
    Date: Fri, Dec 21 2012 00:20:49

Just do whatever you want, use the mod that fits you.

43. JustDesire
    Date: Sat, Dec 22 2012 06:54:15

le ktrinh93 fanbois? Learning "hard" tricks while a beginner may actually serve you better. But of course, everything needs practice. Almost no difference ... Heavy mods? Even gradually moving from a light mod to heavy, you still may find difficulty spinning light mods. Almost no difference ... Many famous spinners started with heavy mods (i.suk for example??) and well...

44. Sekai
    Date: Sun, Dec 23 2012 20:36:53

jantosh11 wrote: From my experience I started out spinning with a pencil for about a month and learned all of the fundamentals really well and could do some mini combos, and then I switched to a bictory which I find very adequate for my spinning needs. So I would say to stay with a lighter mod to avoid killing style and control. btw heaviest mod I've spun is an MSXA.
    Where did you heard that heavy mods kill your style and control? lol

45. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, Dec 23 2012 21:34:43

From the approximately 9001 peem fanboys that came up a couple years back when I started spinning. There were Peemster copies EVERYWHERE and I don't just write this I mean EVERYWHERE. So people were all the same all the same style, all the same powertricks, all the same speed, all the same linkages all the same buster CYL. Thus the myth of Busters killing style was created. fin

46. jantosh11
    Date: Mon, Dec 24 2012 01:54:16

Saionji wrote: Where did you heard that heavy mods kill your style and control? lol
    From SuperVValrus and KTrinh93

47. Alex
    Date: Mon, Dec 24 2012 04:59:48

Well dont listen to those ppl. Are you those kinds of people that hear something and automatically think its true?

jantosh11 wrote: From SuperVValrus and KTrinh93

48. PERSIST
    Date: Mon, Dec 24 2012 05:44:23

Alex wrote: Well dont listen to those ppl. Are you those kinds of people that hear something and automatically think its true?
    It's not true, but it's not false either. Remember, the topic of this thread is what YOUR opinion is, not what other people do/say. There's no point in creating a thread like this if you can't input your own thoughts.

49. 20%
    Date: Mon, Dec 24 2012 05:46:39

Alex wrote: Well dont listen to those ppl. Are you those kinds of people that hear something and automatically think its true?
    Maybe he is, for all i know it doesnt "kill" style, people just flame you for the sake of flaming people. Dang flamers....

50. jantosh11
    Date: Mon, Dec 24 2012 14:54:43

No, I just happen to agree with them, and that is my opinion. But I'm not going around hating people who spin heavier mods, the purpose of this thread was just to see the board's opinion on the matter like @PERSIST said, It's just an opinion: my opinion. Opinions aren't facts and in the end it's up to the spinner.

51. astronaut
    Date: Wed, Dec 26 2012 18:11:18

Using lighter pens is harder. By using a lighter pen you will learn to have more patience and will understand difficultness more.