UPSB v4

Fundamental Tricks / Sonic Normal

1. JC
    Date: Tue, Jun 8 2010 08:29:06

[B]Sonic Normal[/B] This trick involves placing the pen between two fingers, usually the middle and ring finger for beginners, and then using a charge-like (see the Charge thread) motion to move the pen up the hand so that it lands between the index and middle finger. The middle finger is bent down during the process so as to let the pen move into its new position. Pressure may be built to create the charge motion by using the thumbflap as an aid, but spinners will want to learn the non-thumbflap pressure method if they plan to smoothly using this trick in a combo. This trick may be performed by starting between the ring and pinky finger as well, and then finishing in the middle and ring finger. Video Tutorial by shoeman6 Video Tutorial by KTrinh93 Video Tutorial by Pari UPSB Wiki entry Sonic Reverse has it's own thread, so post any questions or discussion regarding that in that thread.

2. Dragonsteele
    Date: Mon, Oct 18 2010 17:21:09

I've just got this down a few days ago and i also noticed that within the same 24-hour period i was also able to do about three complete cycles and i can easily do this now, but when working on extending to four or more i see less and less control and more deterioration of form present with each additional cycle i try to add. :/ any tips?

3. lagbeast
    Date: Wed, Nov 17 2010 23:48:23

im having trouble with the non-thumbflap pressure method, when i attempt to do a sonic after charging it either stops like a pass on finger 1-2, or jus falls off. Are they any advice for a beginner?

4. o2gulo
    Date: Fri, Nov 19 2010 04:05:52

I'm noob. And having trouble.. because whenever i do it. There's no "Charge-like" moevement. it only goes to one finger to another.. Help please?? (and sorry for my bad english...)

5. lagbeast
    Date: Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:11:00

@o2gulo, are you using your thumb to flick it or no? also the way i learned it was keeping my middle finger bend slightly(to hold the pen in position), then as soon as i flick the pen with my thumb, i would try to bring my index and ring finger together(with middle finger still slightly bent).

6. ratslink
    Date: Fri, Nov 19 2010 11:23:53

@lagbeast you probably need a larger and circular charge charge motion. also, try to grip the pen all the way with 2 fingers holding the pen at all times. eg. Sonic 23-12 . As the pen moves over the mid finger, grip it with ring and index so it won't drop

7. lagbeast
    Date: Fri, Nov 19 2010 23:01:25

learning the pressure less sonic made me get a more in depth understanding of how the sonic works. i'm starting to get how it breaks down during every part, it's very enjoyable at the moment even tho i still can't really do it yet XD

8. o2gulo
    Date: Sat, Nov 20 2010 07:30:39

@lagbeast Ya. I use my thumb to flick it. Um sorry I dont get what you say.(Im bad at understanding English sorry). I have the right position, but when i release it. It just do a normal fingerpass. It doesnt do the "Charge-like" motion.:hmm:

9. lagbeast
    Date: Sat, Nov 20 2010 12:52:30

@o2gulo - this means that you need to bring you index and ring finger closer together after the flick. The fingers will act as a wall and the pen will spin in the gap created by those 2 fingers instead of doing the pass.

10. oljibe
    Date: Sat, Nov 20 2010 15:08:04

lol, i got sonic 32 21 down pretty good, but when im practicing 43 32, i sometimes get the pen from 43 to 21, with a sonic motion, is that just a fail or is it another trick? (if it is, then I like my fail wins :3)

11. o2gulo
    Date: Sun, Nov 21 2010 00:32:01

@lagbeast Sorry I am persistent. I do not understand (because im not good at english sorry man!) YOu mean when i flick the pen i should make my index closer to the ring finger? then what happens to the middle Or if you can... Can you please present a photo of your hand doing that? sorry. noob here, cant understand :?:shake::emo:

12. lagbeast
    Date: Sun, Nov 21 2010 01:14:50

@o2gulo - check out the wiki link on the first post, there are pictures there. and Yes make your index closer to the ring finger, and the middle finger stays bent. jus check the pictures it'll be more helpful then my words =]

13. kwokinator
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 09:50:08

Starting to get the hang of this trick after watching the youtube tutorials and the wiki page for the nth time :D I have a question though. When the pen is at the 1/4 revolution, when it's bouncing off the index finger wall, the pen keeps hitting and bouncing on my middle finger knuckle. What am I doing wrong?

14. shoeman6
    Date: Tue, Nov 23 2010 16:55:33

Just practice, try hold your pen a little further up torwards the tips of your fingers, you shuldn't ahve to bend you middle finger to far down.

15. medacyber
    Date: Tue, Dec 7 2010 03:09:30

practice the charge then the isonic but so he pen is visible not hiddent then just pass

16. Soren
    Date: Mon, Dec 13 2010 18:39:42

lots of people make the same mistake over and over again when trying to learn thsi trick. they tend to rest the pen on the thumbflap and at the start of the sonic they tend to add pressure at the thumbflap. this is a wrong mistake, because when people add pressure, it is still at the thumbflap, so after a few seconds when they release it the pressure has build up and the pen flies of. Remember this, the thumbflap is for the pen to rest on, not for you to add pressure.

17. Van
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 00:32:18

Why is it dat my friend learned a Sonic 34-12 when I was teaching him sonic 34-23? Is there a name for sonic 34-12???

18. Mats
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 00:34:14

Van wrote: Is there a name for sonic 34-12???
    Yes, Sonic 340-12.

19. Van
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 00:37:07

Oh lol I thought there wud be another name cuz Neo Sonic is 23-T1 right?

20. WhatsOfTheUp1
    Date: Tue, Dec 14 2010 01:08:44

Van wrote: Oh lol I thought there wud be another name cuz Neo Sonic is 23-T1 right?
    NeoSonic can start from any finger slot

21. thig
    Date: Sat, Dec 18 2010 10:08:20

Neosonic is deprecated - http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Neosonic_Deprecation Neosonic is NOT Sonic 23-T1.

22. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Fri, Dec 24 2010 14:02:14

I can't understand the sonic no matter how much I see the videos or read the tutorials. In the tutorial it says in 3/4 of the motion in should bounce of your index finger. Does it bounce of the front or the back of the index finger?? And when you bend your middle finger and bring your index and ring finger together is it behind them or between the two fingers??? please help im a newbie.. ------------------------------------------------- Edit: I finally managed to understand and do the sonic. practice, practice and practice....

23. Snlag
    Date: Tue, Feb 1 2011 23:03:13

So... i sat there for about a month thinking i was doing the sonic.... came back because i wanted to double check just to learn i was doing it wrong =S please tell me im not the only one here who did that...

24. eazi-penspinner
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 13:27:31

I was doing the neosonic 23-T1 for a month thinking that it was a sonic. No youtube made me progress very slow. The explanation in the wiki didn't help me much so I had to watch tutorials.

25. shoeman6
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 14:12:51

Don't worry, the sonic can be very hard to understand as a new spinner... no tutorial can substitute watching the trick in slow motion multiple times.

26. Im-still-here
    Date: Sat, Feb 5 2011 19:45:14

I learned neosonic and sonic on a unsharpened pencil. It took about a day. For everyone trying to learn just[B]keep practicing[/B].

27. lilpenguiny
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 14:47:32

alright, so ive been trying to do the sonic, and a few times i beleive i have it. but my middle finger goes back instead of beding forward. am i still doing the sonic? or do i need to have the middle finger forward instead of back?

28. Jazz
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 16:04:18

lilpenguiny wrote: alright, so ive been trying to do the sonic, and a few times i beleive i have it. but my middle finger goes back instead of beding forward. am i still doing the sonic? or do i need to have the middle finger forward instead of back?
    You, Sir are doing the inverse sonic which is more advanced than sonic ><

29. lilpenguiny
    Date: Sat, Feb 26 2011 20:41:36

hmmm. o3o i dunno if i should be happy or sad about that. i guess its more of a problem since i cant do the normal sonic xD

30. Sc00t
    Date: Sun, Feb 27 2011 01:58:30

lilpenguiny wrote: hmmm. o3o i dunno if i should be happy or sad about that. i guess its more of a problem since i cant do the normal sonic xD
    inverse sonic is very good lol.

31. spinnerhui
    Date: Mon, Feb 28 2011 03:37:57

practice with a highlighter or a marker the thicker that barrel the better

32. Cloud
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 00:42:17

@spinnerhui think barrel is harder tho... and i dont think its called bakfall cuz it makes the pen look like its falling its 4 baks going down the fingerslots sonic rise and fall do not look like the pen is rising or falling

33. Riley
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 00:51:41

Cloud wrote: @spinnerhui think barrel is harder tho... and i dont think its called bakfall cuz it makes the pen look like its falling its 4 baks going down the fingerslots sonic rise and fall do not look like the pen is rising or falling
    Rise = pen goes from 34 to 12, Fall = pen goes from 12 to 34.

34. spinnerhui
    Date: Tue, Mar 1 2011 03:35:25

aughhhh the sig is 4 months old I didn't know anybetter...besides, non-psers do not understand the theorectics of psing

35. RicLu98
    Date: Sat, Mar 12 2011 04:17:04

[video=youtube;FmSuII5q5LE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmSuII5q5LE[/video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmSuII5q5LE&feature=channel_video_title that might help

36. YoPhagg
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 10:50:04

i'm trying to learn the sonic but i'm having trouble with the stopping and the index finger touching the middle i watched the tutorials but really doesnt help tht much like the oen wont stay up and kinds of drops down

37. Hippo2626
    Date: Mon, Mar 14 2011 11:20:50

@YoPhagg Perhaps you might wanna' try not using too much force when you launch the pen of the thumbflap area. What do you mean by index finger touching the middle finger. Oh and Welcome to UPSB!

38. Nicetricks507
    Date: Tue, Mar 15 2011 03:44:10

Try doing a finger exercise first to familiarize yourself with how the fingers are suppose to move when performing this trick. Exercise: 1. Just simply move down your middle finger by itself the best you can. 2. Try to touch your index finger with your ring finger. 3. Do step 1 again only this time keep your middle finger down while you try to touch your ring and index finger like in step 2.

39. aznfrancis
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 00:16:05

when i try to do the sonic i can't get the pen past my middle finger, any tips on how to get it past?

40. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 01:50:57

@aznfrancis try bending the index and ring finger closer together and the middle lower, using more force at the launch from the thumbflap position but not too much than will cause it to fly out or doing it from 34-23 and later trying it at 23-12

41. aznfrancis
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 03:02:01

after i release from the thumbflap postion, i have troubles putting my index/ring finger close together while bending my middlefinger down it just falls out of my hand...

42. Hippo2626
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 03:04:54

Then try doing only bending the middle finger. Don't focus too much on the index/ring part. @aznfrancis

43. aznfrancis
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 03:16:05

i can somewhat do the sonic now, but it isn't even fluid at all, im practicly just using my fingers and going through the steps, how do i include the speed?

44. M-B-W
    Date: Wed, Mar 16 2011 03:55:15

Add the speed once you've gotten the hang of it, like I did.

45. Velocity
    Date: Sun, Apr 17 2011 11:38:40

lilpenguiny wrote: alright, so ive been trying to do the sonic, and a few times i beleive i have it. but my middle finger goes back instead of beding forward. am i still doing the sonic? or do i need to have the middle finger forward instead of back?
    I wish i could do a inverse Sonic :(

46. Enigmatic
    Date: Tue, Apr 19 2011 04:53:55

inverse sonic is not hard, I learned both inverse sonic and inverse sonic reverse in an hour

47. ForTheWolf
    Date: Sat, Aug 6 2011 01:40:15

So, for some reason I can't even get close to getting this trick right, I am a beginner but I have tried to practice this for a while, only resulting in frustration. I can do the twisted sonic perfectly and I think it looks cooler than the regular sonic. Could I use the Twisted sonic instead of the regular sonic to string together combos? or will I have to learn this trick eventually? Despite practice I am not getting any better at it, and I don't feel like getting frustrated over doing an "easy" trick.

48. Everburn
    Date: Sat, Aug 6 2011 02:11:24

lagbeast wrote: im having trouble with the non-thumbflap pressure method, when i attempt to do a sonic after charging it either stops like a pass on finger 1-2, or jus falls off. Are they any advice for a beginner?
    What you want to try to do is first simulate it using your other hand. Understanding how a trick is executed is essential. First, start with a charge. It is then interrupted when the side that is facing you is pointing downward on the left side (right hand) and vice versa. At this point, your index should be moving towards your ring, now, gripping the pen with your ring and index fingers. (note- this is all happening instantly) Your middle finger should bend down or move forward allowing the pen to rotate in between 1 and 3. Just use your thumb to halt movement after being executed. If this still did not help you try checking the UPSB wiki, youtube.com/theeverburningfathom, youtube.com/ktrinh93, and youtube.com/parixer.

49. Everburn
    Date: Sat, Aug 6 2011 02:12:57

I was the same at that stage, but just keep practicing and read my post that is after yours. It took me about 2 months to finally realize how it is executed. Try simulating it with your other hand.

50. ForTheWolf
    Date: Sat, Aug 6 2011 02:19:54

Thanks for the reply but I'm not really asking for a way to do it, I know how it is done. I just wanna know if i can do the twisted sonic INSTEAD of the sonic when combining tricks. I'll practice more, but essentially that's what i was asking.

51. Forest
    Date: Sat, Aug 6 2011 12:16:21

@ForTheWolf i guess u could...but it's better to learn the sonic (obviously cuz its a fundamental) and cuz it helps you learn other variations of it such as angels, demons, sonic rise, fall, etc. understanding and learning the sonic is very essential to learning other tricks. xD

52. MadTornado
    Date: Sun, Sep 25 2011 14:42:35

I need help on sonic rise... can do the ring finger/middle finger sonic with no thumbs, and i start the pink sonic thingy (34?) with thumb, and i just cant keep it smooth... tips?

53. crackwhore57
    Date: Mon, Sep 26 2011 16:35:58

one a time thesonic i saw it coming for me it asmelllika sheet but i realise me broder had sheit in a cup.

54. Kari
    Date: Tue, Sep 27 2011 01:58:52

MadTornado wrote: I need help on sonic rise... can do the ring finger/middle finger sonic with no thumbs, and i start the pink sonic thingy (34?) with thumb, and i just cant keep it smooth... tips?
    I'm assuming you know sonic rise then but it's just not smooth? If so, honestly, that just comes with practice. Doing it over and over again. Other than that, try this: do sonic rise palm down. After doing sonic 34-23 bring your middle finger down while the pen is still spinning to keep the motion going. That should send the pen Towards the 12 slot and you should be able to catch it like you would any sonic. I really hope this helps. If not please let me know and I will try to find another way to describe it or just show you. ^_^

55. Kaze
    Date: Fri, Sep 30 2011 09:01:43

I keep doing a pass in sonic. I used to think it was like a pass and did it wrong but now i need to change it. I can't make it spin do 1 rev in between my middle finger. Any tips?

56. Eruption
    Date: Fri, Sep 30 2011 12:31:54

@Kaze first of all i don't think a sonic contains any revs, secondly i suggest you learn the charge first, so it can help you get look of the actually sonic. My tips in doing a sonic is to try and bend your middle finger down towards your palm whilst bringing your index and ring finger together, and after the pen makes contact with the index finger, bring your middle finger back up so it slides under the pen. Hope I helped :D

57. Kaze
    Date: Fri, Sep 30 2011 20:32:57

Thank you, I will try that.

58. Boybandista
    Date: Wed, Oct 5 2011 09:18:27

Really having troubles with inverse sonic normal 34-23. I'm thinking its either due to the short length of my pinky finger in comparison to the middle finger that it makes it difficult for me to hold the pen with 4-2 [just like holding the pen with 3-1 in inverse sonic normal 23-12] while doing the charge-like motion, or due to the lack of dexterity in my fingers 3 and 4 that it's making the pen hit the ring finger as I do the transfer. Any thoughts on how should I proceed? Any finger exercises I should try out first to improve fingers 3 and 4?

59. Timbo
    Date: Thu, Oct 6 2011 14:48:52

Make sure that you can easily touch together your middle and pinky fingers in front of your ring finger. It's not that difficult when you think about it but you should be able to do it instantly on command. If it keeps hitting your ring finger than your charge motion probably isn't as 'wide' as it should be. Try and just practise charge in 3-4 until it is as good as it is in 2-3. Also some ring finger isolation might help so that you can move it backwards without your pinky moving back with it.

60. Jerkstore
    Date: Sun, Nov 20 2011 09:12:26

can someone help me i've been trying this trick for 4 days and i even learned charge while trying to do the sonic but i still can't put my index and ring finger together ....,does this mean that i won't ever be able to do the trick?sry for my english btw

61. ron-g
    Date: Sun, Nov 20 2011 10:52:48

Jerkstore wrote: can someone help me i've been trying this trick for 4 days and i even learned charge while trying to do the sonic but i still can't put my index and ring finger together ....,does this mean that i won't ever be able to do the trick?sry for my english btw
    Practice the sonic with your middle [not ring] and index finger. As for bringing the fingers into position, what you could do is without the pen, bring your middle finger down and while it's down try bring your middle and index finger as close to each other as you can; kinda like stretch the fingers close to each other. I'm still a beginner so I might've not explained it clearly enough. Hope I helped. [I've already learnt the sonic normal, but I'm sure you'll get it eventually.]

62. Jerkstore
    Date: Sun, Nov 20 2011 15:15:37

ok im gonna keep practicing and 1 more question i watched some youtube videos and i think this sonic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRBsk8vYYw is a different sonic in comparison with this sonic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vbb50lhQto mainly because on the 2nd video he makes the pen spin and on the first video it looks like a pass maybe im just blind or something ... so anyone knows the answer? sry for my english again

63. ron-g
    Date: Mon, Nov 21 2011 08:33:40

Jerkstore wrote: ok im gonna keep practicing and 1 more question i watched some youtube videos and i think this sonic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRBsk8vYYw is a different sonic in comparison with this sonic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vbb50lhQto mainly because on the 2nd video he makes the pen spin and on the first video it looks like a pass maybe im just blind or something ... so anyone knows the answer? sry for my english again
    Both of the spinners are doing normal sonics. The difference between the two is that Eso [1st vid] doesn't move his middle finger out as much, whereas KTrinh93 [2nd vid] brings down his middle finger completely to show the spin in the trick[?] to show how he does it.

64. Jerkstore
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 18:57:03

pff i've been trying this trick for a week and i still can't do it ,should i just give up on pen spinning?i just can't make the wall fast enough...

65. wee~
    Date: Fri, Nov 25 2011 19:09:09

@Jerkstore you shouldn't give up. keep trying and i'm sure you'll get it eventually :D

66. gyrobius
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 04:57:22

Jerkstore wrote: can someone help me i've been trying this trick for 4 days and i even learned charge while trying to do the sonic but i still can't put my index and ring finger together ....,does this mean that i won't ever be able to do the trick?sry for my english btw
    Try this. http://penspinningonline.com/en/tut/tricks/video/1/30/

67. gyrobius
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 04:58:49

gyrobius wrote: Try this. http://penspinningonline.com/en/tut/tricks/video/1/30/
    It actually took me a lot longer to learn the trick. I couldn't even understand the motion until a week later. I suppose it'd be a good idea to look up more tutorials.

68. Eruption
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 09:27:08

@Jerkstore if you're doing a sonic 23-12 then all u need to do is bend your middle finger down to your palm whilst making your ring finger and the index finger in contact, hen u bring your middle finger back up underneath the pen. Hope I helped ^_^

69. Jerkstore
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 13:23:25

Eruption wrote: @Jerkstore if you're doing a sonic 23-12 then all u need to do is bend your middle finger down to your palm whilst making your ring finger and the index finger in contact, hen u bring your middle finger back up underneath the pen. Hope I helped ^_^
    i know but i just can't put my ring and index finger in contact

70. Jerkstore
    Date: Sat, Nov 26 2011 13:26:02

Can i request a slow motion video of the sonic by a left handed person please?maybe i can't do it cuz the trick is diferent in a left handed guy's perspective .(sry for my english again i know it sucks)

71. Eruption
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 08:06:57

@Jerkstore, it doesn't matter whether you're a left hand or not, I can do it on my left hand too, if you can't bend your index and your ring finger in contact then you just need to practice.

72. gyrobius
    Date: Sun, Nov 27 2011 22:01:46

I've been spinning for around a year but I still have difficulty with the sonic. I need help.

73. Boxxy
    Date: Mon, Nov 28 2011 01:26:09

@gyroblus my record for this is over 2000 and i set that about 3 months ago:D

74. AmericanPenNinja
    Date: Sat, Dec 24 2011 19:57:14

I can do a sonic on fingers 3-4 but not the regular sonic on fingers 1-2, I end up doing a charge. Thanks

75. Danny116
    Date: Sat, Dec 24 2011 20:30:06

http://forum.upsb.info/showthread.php?t=13 ^honestly? search before you post and do you mean slot 23-12?

76. AmericanPenNinja
    Date: Sun, Dec 25 2011 04:51:58

Sorry i didn't search, im really noob

77. Froggy
    Date: Sun, Dec 25 2011 05:31:27

Oh hey look @Pen Ninja, you got a new friend!! Frog~

78. Pen Ninja
    Date: Sun, Dec 25 2011 10:27:27

eh, not too bad at least people wont actually mistake him for me... unlike with peninja

79. Boxxy
    Date: Sun, Dec 25 2011 18:55:27

Sonic is easy to me now i can continuously do it for a long time Example: Sonic(23-12

80. Eazy
    Date: Tue, Jan 3 2012 01:38:15

Anybody does Sonic rise/fall harmonic? I've searched and there's no threads for those so i guess it's okay to discuss it here. And by Sonic rise/fall harmonic, I mean HIGH Speed sonic rise/fall harmonic. I'm sure anybody can do the combo, but not all can do it very quickly and fluently. My record is 62 times per minute *sonic rise>sonic fall counted as 1 I do it because it's the only cool combo I can do without thinking at all, one of the only combos i can do with a regular pen, and one of the few tricks i can do while doing additional Math. =P So, anyone else does high speed sonic rise/fall harmonic?

81. Karrot
    Date: Wed, Jan 4 2012 20:38:36

I use to do sonic rise fall harmonic during math class, but the teacher would just take it away

82. neowulf
    Date: Wed, Jan 11 2012 16:57:48

Eazy wrote: Anybody does Sonic rise/fall harmonic? I've searched and there's no threads for those so i guess it's okay to discuss it here. And by Sonic rise/fall harmonic, I mean HIGH Speed sonic rise/fall harmonic. I'm sure anybody can do the combo, but not all can do it very quickly and fluently. My record is 62 times per minute *sonic rise>sonic fall counted as 1 I do it because it's the only cool combo I can do without thinking at all, one of the only combos i can do with a regular pen, and one of the few tricks i can do while doing additional Math. =P So, anyone else does high speed sonic rise/fall harmonic?
    Wahhhhh O.o if nothing else, this combo just sounds pretty bad ass. I've never heard of the Sonic Fall before, but it sounds pretty nifty. I shall have to search around!

83. Boxxy
    Date: Wed, Jan 11 2012 20:18:44

@zan314 its doing sonic reverse then doing it again in the lower fingers its very easy here is a video of it [video=youtube;IjGxXBMOAOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGxXBMOAOw[/video] here is it in a combo sort of way [video=youtube;OKlzIIiQjs8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlzIIiQjs8[/video] IDK why the second is messing up though

84. neowulf
    Date: Sun, Jan 15 2012 18:00:01

Omg it's so fast O.O

85. Legion
    Date: Sun, Jan 15 2012 18:16:00

platinum, i think you have reached hyper sonic....

86. Ricercar
    Date: Sun, Jan 15 2012 18:50:54

you're pen is waaaaaay too long platinum

87. neowulf
    Date: Sun, Jan 15 2012 22:13:59

More like HYPER SPEEEEEEEEEED!

88. Boxxy
    Date: Mon, Jan 16 2012 17:09:49

@Ricercar My mod fits me perfectly and its shorter than my Extended BICtory my extended BICtory was 11 1/2 inches cause i put a little twist with the caps and put long ones on

89. Legion
    Date: Mon, Jan 16 2012 17:21:18

@platinumsj That is legit, a hyper sonic xD

90. Boxxy
    Date: Mon, Jan 16 2012 17:28:51

@Nero666 but a Hyper Sonic is a trick I think its like a sonic rise to 2 Rev Passes

91. Legion
    Date: Mon, Jan 16 2012 18:15:25

well then @flame sivics misinformed me.

92. Ricercar
    Date: Mon, Jan 16 2012 22:32:20

platinumsj wrote: My mod fits me perfectly and its shorter than my Extended BICtory my extended BICtory was 11 1/2 inches cause i put a little twist with the caps and put long ones on
    Still waaay too long The longest you'd want is like 20 cm, not a foot. If it's twice as long as your hand is too long

93. neowulf
    Date: Tue, Jan 17 2012 00:45:41

A foot or anything close to it is waaaay too long, for me at least. I guess you'd call it a personal preference, but I agree with you @Ricercar. I like my normal, boring size BICtory :3 But I admire people who can handle something that's crazy long like that. To each their own!

94. Boxxy
    Date: Tue, Jan 17 2012 18:31:19

I can't stand mods about hand length It's too hard to do around tricks for me Also my pens about an inch and a half longer than my hand

95. person
    Date: Tue, Jan 24 2012 12:09:47

i can do this. :D

96. keNDo
    Date: Fri, Jan 27 2012 13:23:05

It was easy :D But i feel weird because i mastered sonic after i mastered baksfall -.- I think baksfall is easier than sonic

97. Karrot
    Date: Tue, Jan 31 2012 00:51:13

person wrote: i can do this. :D
    It's not whether you can do it or not, it's whether you can do it well that matters.

98. person
    Date: Tue, Jan 31 2012 11:02:52

Karrot wrote: It's not whether you can do it or not, it's whether you can do it well that matters.
    of course.

99. Karrot
    Date: Tue, Jan 31 2012 22:48:23

person wrote: of course.
    That's great then :lol:

100. JYangQi00
    Date: Sat, Feb 4 2012 06:17:30

I am very new to pen spinning, so I only know two fundamentals. But whenever I attempt the normal sonic, I tend to end up doing the twisted sonic. Did anybody else have this problem?

101. Bleevlee
    Date: Sat, Feb 4 2012 18:08:30

They're relatively unrelated; try doing it with your thumbflap, and building more pressure than you would if doing a charge. That way, it shouldn't randomly become a twisted soni. The sonic is kind of automatic if you build the pressure in the right way...

102. Frostbyte
    Date: Sun, Feb 5 2012 02:13:55

Twisted sonic for life. Best advice I got was to bend the middle finger down and touch the index and ring fingers together.

103. Karrot
    Date: Sun, Feb 5 2012 19:27:56

JYangQi00 wrote: I am very new to pen spinning, so I only know two fundamentals. But whenever I attempt the normal sonic, I tend to end up doing the twisted sonic. Did anybody else have this problem?
    Remember to bend the middle finger in, and keep your index and ring finger out.

104. qincai
    Date: Fri, Feb 10 2012 08:19:38

http://www.carphotoalbums.com/forum/member.php?u=767323

105. Kei
    Date: Mon, Feb 13 2012 22:53:16

there are no sonic rise/fall harmonic thread so I suppose I'll put it here: How do you stop the pen from slipping when you do the sonic risefall harmonic?

106. Karrot
    Date: Thu, Feb 16 2012 20:41:33

Kei wrote: there are no sonic rise/fall harmonic thread so I suppose I'll put it here: How do you stop the pen from slipping when you do the sonic risefall harmonic?
    I'm pretty sure I told you this before...Practice!!!

107. ThundraByte
    Date: Mon, Mar 19 2012 10:21:08

How do you guys do it without using your thumbflaps for the force?

108. Karrot
    Date: Mon, Mar 19 2012 22:04:24

ThundraByte wrote: How do you guys do it without using your thumbflaps for the force?
    swing the pen over to create momentum.

109. ThundraByte
    Date: Wed, Apr 11 2012 09:49:48

Any tips for the sonic 3-4 to 2-3? Its kinda hard to do palm down.

110. Kari
    Date: Wed, Apr 11 2012 20:17:41

ThundraByte wrote: Any tips for the sonic 3-4 to 2-3? Its kinda hard to do palm down.
    Then do it palm side. The only time I use it palm down is when I do demons sonic. Maybe learn it palm side first then try it palm down.

111. joelspinner
    Date: Sun, Jul 8 2012 16:09:16

i think it might be unusual but i learnt by keeping my index and middle finger on one end and putting little force

112. Santos
    Date: Mon, Dec 31 2012 20:14:47

Whenever I try to do the sonic, I end up doing the twisted sonic! I regret learning the twisted sonic first!

113. Boxxy
    Date: Mon, Dec 31 2012 20:25:30

Lower your middle finger don't raise it. Have your middle finger bent down at about a 35 degree angle with your index finger extended and try it like that

114. Santos
    Date: Mon, Dec 31 2012 20:27:29

Ok, I just tried it, It keeps flipping over the middle finger, like a fingerpass motion.

115. Boxxy
    Date: Mon, Dec 31 2012 20:30:14

Connect your ring and index fingers

116. Demotaiz
    Date: Mon, Dec 31 2012 23:00:28

Try it palm down before you learn palm up

117. NeoN
    Date: Tue, Jan 1 2013 10:22:24

Practice.

118. Enigmatic
    Date: Wed, Jan 2 2013 18:37:12

Don't bring your middle finger down and move your index and ring fingers toward each other a bit

119. Giotto
    Date: Thu, Jan 3 2013 14:45:33

lower your middle finger and put your ring and index finger together.

120. a.nonymous
    Date: Fri, Jan 4 2013 23:32:59

it's all momentum

121. nicholasvan
    Date: Wed, Jan 9 2013 23:53:06

I learned the sonic yesterday, and I can do it consistently, but it looks choppy and goes too fast. Any tips to make it look more circular and smooth? I already know: Fingerpass + Fingerpass Rev Charge Thumbaround + TA Rev Twisted Sonic

122. BeyondEminence
    Date: Thu, Jan 10 2013 00:04:08

practice and please do not make a new thread for this if u need to just ask it in the shout box.

123. Demetrius
    Date: Thu, Jan 10 2013 00:28:55

nicholasvan wrote: I learned the sonic yesterday, and I can do it consistently, but it looks choppy and goes too fast. Any tips to make it look more circular and smooth? I already know: Fingerpass + Fingerpass Rev Charge Thumbaround + TA Rev Twisted Sonic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC9oqlVGQ0o learn sonic clip that would prob help you in smoothness :)

124. Mats
    Date: Thu, Jan 10 2013 00:32:06

Improving overall in pen spinning will help you become more smooth too. Right now, you can only do a few basic tricks. When you can do 50 tricks, your sonic will be better anyway, since your overall skill level will have improved.

125. Reason
    Date: Thu, Jan 10 2013 00:35:37

seriously, if you practice a lot you will get better results. try going for a charge motion while doing the trick; that will help with the pen movement/smoothness. also, practice holding the pen in 13 and 24; this will help with flexibility and control. i you want to take it a step further, try doing a charge in those slots. it takes time, but im sure you will get it right :D

126. Giotto
    Date: Thu, Jan 10 2013 14:09:01

You could practise charge...

127. Kcom2002
    Date: Sun, Jan 13 2013 08:31:54

With practice. :P

128. Nick
    Date: Sun, Jan 13 2013 23:29:11

move it through your hand with your other hand.

129. Materia
    Date: Mon, Jan 14 2013 22:29:58

Yeah, I had the same problem. You have to learn it pressured on your thumbflap first. The way I learned it was just to put a lot pressure of my thumbflap, bend the middle finger in and the ring finger out, bringing my index finger to my ring finger, then letting go and hope that it lands in the right finger slot with the correct amount of revolutions. Just keep doing that a couple times, you'll find it easier throughout.

130. MinoochX
    Date: Fri, Mar 15 2013 09:24:35

nicholasvan wrote: I learned the sonic yesterday, and I can do it consistently, but it looks choppy and goes too fast. Any tips to make it look more circular and smooth? I already know: Fingerpass + Fingerpass Rev Charge Thumbaround + TA Rev Twisted Sonic
    http://youtu.be/5eJUz02bwsc specially for you

131. LighT*
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 05:06:05

dont do it from the thumb flap. and keep practicing youll get it i promise!

132. shAdowz
    Date: Sat, Mar 16 2013 05:27:15

dont use it with your thumbflip, do it with only your 1 and 3 finger. :)

133. wellshrouded
    Date: Tue, Mar 19 2013 21:09:02

Hey just try and make your charge in the 2-3 fingers as large as possible making a big circle. over exaggerate alot. it helped for me. then once you do a large charge do the sonic moves.

134. XenoGeneiken
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 09:42:38

Any tips on how to improve my sonic 43-32 palm down better? I can do it palm up nicely but seems too heavy when I try palm down.

135. shoeman6
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:08:34

Practice 34 charge Also, when you notate, write the lowest number first, it's easier to read that way...

136. XenoGeneiken
    Date: Thu, Mar 28 2013 23:45:55

I'll try. I see, I thought you will write where it is placed first xD.

137. Xitra
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 00:03:41

shoeman6 wrote: Practice 34 charge Also, when you notate, write the lowest number first, it's easier to read that way...
    Wait.. What do you mean lowest number first? O_o Won't that change the sonic? ._. Demonstrate your notation method in a sonic? I am quite sure the first slot you right is the slot it starts... >_<

138. XenoGeneiken
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 00:32:02

Xitra wrote: Wait.. What do you mean lowest number first? O_o Won't that change the sonic? ._. Demonstrate your notation method in a sonic? I am quite sure the first slot you right is the slot it starts... >_<
    That's what I think too.

139. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Mar 29 2013 00:37:57

Unless you're like... crossing your fingers, yes. [video=youtube;PWCZC4hzhAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCZC4hzhAk[/video]

140. questionmark98
    Date: Wed, Apr 17 2013 06:27:29

Use your thumb to flick the pen while doing sonic.

141. akshay
    Date: Sun, Apr 28 2013 14:14:07

learn it using thumbflap. then it will be easy.

142. YourFaithfulStudent
    Date: Sat, May 4 2013 20:05:44

The sonic normal was the first trick I learned. It's one of those things you just have to keep practicing, eventually you'll find your able to do it more and more. It just takes time.

143. akshay
    Date: Mon, May 6 2013 12:15:10

Santos wrote: Whenever I try to do the sonic, I end up doing the twisted sonic! I regret learning the twisted sonic first!
    Do it palm up. It helps.

144. Disinagrater
    Date: Thu, May 23 2013 22:20:03

whenever i try to do the sonic the pen gets stuck between my middle finger and ring finger and it won't let go. pls help

145. fang
    Date: Fri, May 24 2013 05:26:34

Disinagrater wrote: whenever i try to do the sonic the pen gets stuck between my middle finger and ring finger and it won't let go. pls help
    When I had that problem, I just keep doing that over and over again. Mostly when you are used to it you can manipulate the motion.

146. Giotto
    Date: Fri, May 24 2013 11:30:20

@Disinagrater try bending more on middle finger and let the pen goes up.

147. Heckload
    Date: Sat, May 25 2013 02:50:24

YourFaithfulStudent wrote: The sonic normal was the first trick I learned. It's one of those things you just have to keep practicing, eventually you'll find your able to do it more and more. It just takes time.
    TRUE TRUE

148. Fingerbeam
    Date: Thu, Jun 6 2013 05:40:10

I finally got it, but it takes a great force of will to keep my middle finger down. If you have this problem try to concentrate on not moving your middle finger at all before starting the trick. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you.

149. pietrofarini
    Date: Sun, Jun 9 2013 23:57:40

just don't bring your middle finger down and move your index and ring fingers toward each others. Simple!

150. Kuai
    Date: Sun, Aug 18 2013 03:00:11

Any tips on 3-4 PD sonic(not using flab)? I can do pu and sideways for 3 -4 sonic as well as 2-3 (all). It seems like I need the flab to hold it in place. Do I need to do it fast or do some motion to get momentum(with my hand)? Or something else? When i move finger 2 towards me , finger 3 moves toward me as well(weak). Thanks Also when doing the pd sonic the pen somtimes go to my2nd knuckle (the one nearest to my wrist) not allowing me to link into a twisted sonic. Any tips? And where do I start to hold it when I do a linkage to twisted sonic(using dc)? This is the only hard trick when doing pd. Idk why by the othrt tricks are simple pd

151. Niqesse
    Date: Sat, Sep 28 2013 16:48:33

How do I do the sonic without the pen starting in the thumbwebbing? Cause my pen is too long to do this^^ and please dont tell me use a shorter one.

152. Weerman
    Date: Sun, Sep 29 2013 17:26:27

If you know the Charge, you can do some before doing your sonic (I guess^^)

153. Flakey
    Date: Wed, Oct 2 2013 22:59:28

What helped me learn the Sonic was to just practice the motion by using my left hand to move the pen so my right hand learns the motion. By doing that I fully understood the motion and the way the pen moves.

154. Niqesse
    Date: Thu, Oct 3 2013 08:41:46

I got a wonderful explanation from @eurocracy about a fingerswitching motion. That worked for me. I'm still bad at it but better than not getting the way it should work at all.

155. Ceru Seiyu
    Date: Thu, Oct 3 2013 18:47:12

Niqesse wrote: I got a wonderful explanation from @eurocracy about a fingerswitching motion. That worked for me. I'm still bad at it but better than not getting the way it should work at all.
    I think I should make a tutorial about the fingerswitch explanation method, it was very quick method to teach sonic to those who already know the charge O_o In retrospect it might cut some of the tedium from learning pen spinning if I make a series, doing Thumbaround -> Charge -> Sonic in that order is probably better, as you don't have to meddle with any thumbflap sonic nonsense.

156. Adolf
    Date: Sun, Oct 6 2013 08:10:06

Is it weird how a learned a twisted sonic before the sonic normal?

157. Zephyr
    Date: Sun, Oct 27 2013 23:18:49

I have been trying for a while to do the sonic without pressure from Thumbflap(I am revisiting this trick and I want to learn that way)..... I cannot seem to do the sonic without pressure. Any tips?

158. AnAsianBrony
    Date: Thu, Nov 7 2013 03:20:54

Hey guys, I've been having trouble with Sonic for quite a bit of time now and was wondering if I could get a bit of advice. (Bad first post, sorry. :P) I have Thumbaround and Charge 23 down pat, but I can not seem to get Sonic for the life of me. I can easily bend the middle finger and touch index to ring, have watched numerous videos, even seen the trick performed for me in person, but still... I know exactly what is happening when I attempt it as well, making it even more frustrating. This is the non-thumb flap method, by the way. For some reason when I try, I can only get a fingerpass potion instead of a charge rotation-like one. Somehow while attempting to learn Sonic, I half picked up Twisted Sonic and have that imprinted into my muscle memory now... Is there any advice for how to get the proper motion? Like I said before, charge is fine, but Sonic will be the death of me... Anything would be helpful. ^^ Also, I have tried to get the pressure method of Sonic, but I can't seem to get that one either. That one just looks like a dumb fingerpass as well, but then it just hits shoots halfway from 23 to 12 and gets stuck.

159. Happiface
    Date: Wed, Nov 20 2013 16:16:06

When I do a sonic 23-12 for example, I just move my middle finger forward a little bit and the pen automatically does the sonic...practice like this too. Just move the finger in the middle forward and if the pen leaves your fingerslot and falls to the floor, you're on the right track. Remember, it has to travel on the back of your finger/hand. After I got this, I just kept on practicing this until I could catch the pen.

160. AnAsianBrony
    Date: Thu, Feb 27 2014 21:45:10

Ah Sonic, so we meet again... (This doesn't count as a necrobump either, right? lol Theoretically, this thread will always be alive if more spinners come along) Anyway, a few days ago after many painful hours of just clicking and rewinding shoeman6's Sonic video tutorial, something finally clicked and I was able to understand the motion of the pen. Yet now, another problem arises. D: Unfortunately, I have no means of recording right now. When I perform the Sonic, I begin with a Charge motion with the pen approaching my index. Before contact, I drop my ring finger slightly so that the pen can pass over it. At this point, one of two things happen: 1. The pen hits the index finger and makes a sharp horizontal slide on top of my middle finger down in between my middle and index fingers. (This happens usually when the pen hits the index at a bad angle I think...) 2. The pen makes contact with the index finger, then proceeds to make a slight spin while getting stuck between the index and ring without ever returning to the thumbflap or making contact with the middle finger, as though attempting Charge 13. Is this some fatal flaw in my technique? I just can't get it right and it makes me mad. ;P

161. Monk
    Date: Sat, Mar 8 2014 18:42:04

AnAsianBrony wrote: Ah Sonic, so we meet again... (This doesn't count as a necrobump either, right? lol Theoretically, this thread will always be alive if more spinners come along) Anyway, a few days ago after many painful hours of just clicking and rewinding shoeman6's Sonic video tutorial, something finally clicked and I was able to understand the motion of the pen. Yet now, another problem arises. D: Unfortunately, I have no means of recording right now. When I perform the Sonic, I begin with a Charge motion with the pen approaching my index. Before contact, I drop my ring finger slightly so that the pen can pass over it. At this point, one of two things happen: 1. The pen hits the index finger and makes a sharp horizontal slide on top of my middle finger down in between my middle and index fingers. (This happens usually when the pen hits the index at a bad angle I think...) 2. The pen makes contact with the index finger, then proceeds to make a slight spin while getting stuck between the index and ring without ever returning to the thumbflap or making contact with the middle finger, as though attempting Charge 13. Is this some fatal flaw in my technique? I just can't get it right and it makes me mad. ;P
    First off, the best mod for practicing fundamentals is the MX. Secondly, for getting used to the motion, (what I did) is to do a regular charge palm down on slot 2-3. Once it makes half a revolution, let go of it which makes the momentum carry, and use your index to catch it over your middle finger. After you get used to the charge, release, catch motion, you should be able to do it flawlessly.

162. darkraka
    Date: Sun, Oct 26 2014 06:38:54

I have no idea whether this is a sonic trick. In tutorial videos the pen spins like 1 rotation. But I think I do it perfectly wrong. What to do to improve it? Tanx..btw:clap:(sun)

163. casual
    Date: Sun, Oct 26 2014 07:05:19

Maybe a video of you doing a sonic would help.

164. AfroSquared
    Date: Sun, Oct 26 2014 16:18:04

For us to fully help you we need a vid. I don't know if you're doing some sort of charge or something....

165. milkywave1
    Date: Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:43:41

darkraka wrote: I have no idea whether this is a sonic trick. In tutorial videos the pen spins like 1 rotation. But I think I do it perfectly wrong. What to do to improve it? Tanx..btw:clap:(sun)
    Looks about right. Try not to move your whole arm when doing it.

166. darkraka
    Date: Mon, Oct 27 2014 14:48:08

Yeah...but my middle finger doesn`t bend

167. milkywave1
    Date: Tue, Oct 28 2014 02:37:34

Your middle finger doesn't have to bend alot when doing the sonic. You only need to bend your middle finger alot when doing tricks such as sonic clip and pseudo sonic. I do sonics with my middle finger more or less straight

168. MPC
    Date: Thu, Oct 30 2014 06:16:53

@darkraka it looks like you're relying heavily on the momentum you create by 'snapping' the pen out from your thumb flap. Try doing continuous charge motion and use that momentum instead. When you don't have the pen in your hand, just touch together the tips of your index and ring finger. When you move your middle finger inwards to do it, that's the movement for the sonic. When you move your middle finger outwards, that's the movement for the inverse sonic (which you may as well learn at the same time). Enjoy. :) mpc

169. darkraka
    Date: Thu, Oct 30 2014 11:08:33

trying it out...thanks @MPC

170. darkraka
    Date: Thu, Nov 13 2014 11:07:27

I just realised that sonic is performed in the middle of the fingers(not at the tip of fingers). Am I right?