UPSB v4

Off-topic / Google Redirect Virus?

1. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 19:09:23

Whenever I search a term on Google, and click on a link, it redirects me to some advertisement or advertising website. It generally does this if the link has not been visited before. This only happens when using Google.com and not other websites. Some of the websites it directs me to include http://bts.scour.com/, Comedy Central, random IP addresses and more. My current malware software (SpyHunter 4, idk why I got it though) doesn't detect the causes of this problem. Any ideas on how to solve this?

2. King
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 19:31:59

What browser do you use?

3. Nachoaddict
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 19:33:18

I noticed when I quick searched with my Google Chrome URL bar I got sent to a 404 error a bunch of times but it went away. I couldn't even access Google's homepage without hitting the 404. Not sure if it's a Chrome thing or a Google site thing or if it's even related to your issue but I've been having some weir issues with Google as well.

4. ChainBreak
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 19:33:25

Check your start-up programs, clean your registry and get comodo firewall + WINpatrol. The two programs provide a good overview of all the useless programs on your computer and the in- and outgoing internet connections.

5. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 20:03:38

I use Google Chrome. I have not tested this with Internet Explorer (because its not even installed on my computer wtf), but I have with Firefox and it does not affect FireFox at all.

6. Soren
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 20:26:02

Sounds like you got some malware on your computer. Install malwarebytes and scan you computer.

7. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 20:46:00

malwarebytes does nothing for me it keeps redirecting me to shit

8. Soren
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 21:42:44

As in the scan did nothing or you couldn't download malwarebytes because when you go to the website you got redirected?

9. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 21:53:49

Well it scanned my system and found stuff and I corrected these things by deleting them as it prompted me to do so, and when I restarted my computer and used chrome, thinking I found a solution, things searched on Google still redirected me to random advertising websites.

10. Soren
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 22:20:07

Did you update virus definition before scan?

11. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 23:41:43

Yes I did update

12. HobbyLogics
    Date: Mon, Oct 8 2012 05:53:45

That sounds like a google redirect rootkit. If malwarebytes doesn't work, try another piece of software. [B]Dr.Web is better at removing rootkits so try both Dr.Web and then Kaspersky[/B]. If that still doesn't work, you might want to save your files onto a memory stick and do a system restore on your computer.

13. Wobster
    Date: Mon, Oct 8 2012 07:44:12

This happens to me all the time. Don't do anything. Don't download any "anti-virus" softwares or shit like that. They'll just give your computer more viruses. Use my method: 1. Search for what you want on Google. 2. Hover your mouse over the link you wish to access but don't click it. 3. Right-click and select "Copy link location" 4. Open a new tab and paste the link in the url tab. 5. Press enter and you're done. Works every time. Fuck all those other methods (no offence). They're so unnecessary. P.S. If this doesn't work, you have to delete the Google part of the url after you've completed step 4. That way, you'll only be left with the raw link to your website.

14. Tetsip
    Date: Mon, Oct 8 2012 19:11:10

i had this before. i had to go through a lengthy ass process to fix this shit. i forgot what to do though. just google it

15. Soren
    Date: Mon, Oct 8 2012 19:13:12

You could give SuperAntiSpyware a shot. Let me know how it goes, whatever methods you use.

16. Tetsip
    Date: Mon, Oct 8 2012 19:14:21

you cant use any antiivirus shit for this. i had to go through my registry and delete something. i think at least. edit: iirc i had to do something about my host settings

17. neXus
    Date: Mon, Oct 8 2012 19:44:15

1 Check your browsers setting to see if a proxy is set up 2 Check your hosts file. It's located under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. There's a file that is just called hosts. Open it with the editor/notepad and look at it's content. It should either be empty or have a sample text like mine does:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp. # # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. # # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one # space. # # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. # # For example: # # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. # 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost

18. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Mon, Oct 8 2012 20:58:51

1. Idk how to check proxy settings on Chrome 2. My hosts file doesnt have any ip's listed

19. Dylan
    Date: Tue, Oct 9 2012 02:44:43

I had this happen to me a few months ago; it sucks and there are ways to get rid of it of course, but the easiest is to just do a system restore if you have any save points (computer often makes them automatically) it's what I did and it's instant and easy.