UPSB v4

Off-topic / HELP - Getting Rid of Self-invited "Student"

1. PERSIST
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 09:37:08

Okay, so, I was trying to teach my friend at school how to do the thumbaround during lunch at school, and I showed off a combo to motivate him to practice, and this random guy comes over and persistantly asks me where I learned it. I made the biggest mistake and said "the internet," :banghead: so he comes over every day, morning break and lunch, to try and tag along while I teach my friend how to PS. I made another stupid choice in telling him that my cousin is in the same grade, and the two actually know each other. :pan: So, any advice on how to get this guy to go away without being rude? I kind of don't want the whole school PSing, because that won't make it special anymore... and this new guy isn't exactly the most quiet guy either, and I don't really want him around, he swears a bit and the only reason why he even bothers to come is to learn to PS, nothing else, so basically using me as a complete tool. Any help?

2. Kyoflow
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 09:40:13

whats wrong with the whole school psing. the more the merrier. you could always be the best and that would be special. not sure how to get rid of him though..

3. PERSIST
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 09:44:47

Kyoflow wrote: whats wrong with the whole school psing. the more the merrier. you could always be the best and that would be special. not sure how to get rid of him though..
    Idk, it's weird, I just feel like PSing isnt a well-known sport, and I just like it that way. It's hard to explain, but I get irritated at the idea of the whole school walking around with MX's and all that.

4. Gash
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 09:48:58

Once you get better, you'd realise that getting rid of him would be the worst mistake ever. The more spinners, the more ideas you get for combos and more motivation for yourself to improve.

5. Apocalyptic Shadows
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 09:55:56

Haha when the whole school spins and you are the best you feel like a king ;)

6. fang
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 09:57:47

Dude, I found someone @ school who could do a Thumbaround, I was f*cking happy to finaly see someone ps'ing other than me! I would say, keep him in ps, he would give up in no-time!~

7. PERSIST
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 09:58:18

I do see potential in him as a PSer, but he's just not so good as a person, I mean, he's not really up to much socializing. He's been visiting for about 3 days and he doesn't even know my name...

8. Obstracized
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:39:18

Jay4 wrote: I do see potential in him as a PSer, but he's just not so good as a person, I mean, he's not really up to much socializing. He's been visiting for about 3 days and he doesn't even know my name...
    Isn't this a good time to socialize? Get to know each other better, through the Unspoken Language of Pen Spinning. I am sure he will be independent enough to learn Pen Spinning on his own.

9. Reason
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:49:53

i knew some people like that... i get what you mean in that it doesnt really become as special if everyone else knows how to do it, but that really shouldnt be a concern since you would just be spreading psing. this one kid wouldnt stop bothering me about it last year so i decided to show him how to do a TA. after that he was happy and shut up about it. they just usually want to show off to their friends. i know so many people who kept asking me to teach them but they dont give a crap after they learn TA... surprisingly the best student i have is this girl who said that she didnt want to learn it because she thought it would be too hard. ok so i guess my point is to teach him a few trick anyway. who cares if a crap ton of people in your school can do TA or fingerpass? they will still look up to you as a god since they understand the challenges of just learning one trick.

10. Walkaz
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 11:15:05

well me and @Haxsaw became bff because of ps if hax wanted to get rid of me ps-ing back then when i start to learn stuff from him back then,i wouldn't be pen spinning and yea,back then my whole school was ps-ing there's a bunch of koreans who spin pens and it gradually spread out to the whole school

11. Wobster
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 11:28:52

You're a guy right? Grow a pair and just tell him to stop following you around.

12. Ryst
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 12:06:34

Yeah @Walkaz and I are so close now because of spinning. You might just make a future best friend (?) and Walkaz, nobody else In school spins anymore lol. I suppose it was just a passing thing.

13. Walkaz
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 12:29:20

Haxsaw wrote: Yeah @Walkaz and I are so close now because of spinning. You might just make a future best friend (?) and Walkaz, nobody else In school spins anymore lol. I suppose it was just a passing thing.
    dem korean stopped huh? maybe because zuraidah confiscated all their mods =))

14. Dakrowl
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 14:41:44

Give him a sweet and tell him to be obedient and not follow you around

15. ChainBreak
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 17:31:50

rape his ass and shove some pens there. :trollface: No seriously: Just teach him penspinning and beat some manners into him while you're at it. Be like grandmaster Yoda. Patient.

16. PERSIST
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 19:39:28

Okay, so almost all of you guys said to just keep teaching him and try to actually know him. I guess I'll try that, b/c pretty much everyone said to, but I still have a half mind to show him combos with harder tricks like busts and wipers (well, harder for me anyway). Right now I don't really have much of an idea who this kid is, and he has no idea who I am, so the iceberg's about to tip, I'll try and prevent that and teach him TA and stuff but as of now I still sort of hope he'd leave.

17. Froggy
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 21:28:30

I stopped reading along the way but not wanting others to learn what they want to learn due to the fear of it making u shitty is just pure.... Frog~

18. sangara
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 21:34:27

You're being a hipster douche bag and only spinning because it's underground. Stop being dumb and expand pen spinning.

19. miyat
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 22:18:46

Wow really? I would've loved it if someone else took interesting pen spinning while I was in High School. And like sangara said, it seems selfish to keep something to yourself so you can feel unique. At least give this guy a chance. But, if you really don't like him as a person, then just provide him with some info (upsb.info, pser channels, mod tuts) to get him started so he doesn't have to rely on you.

20. PERSIST
    Date: Sat, Oct 6 2012 23:12:08

miyat wrote: Wow really? I would've loved it if someone else took interesting pen spinning while I was in High School. And like sangara said, it seems selfish to keep something to yourself so you can feel unique. At least give this guy a chance. But, if you really don't like him as a person, then just provide him with some info (upsb.info, pser channels, mod tuts) to get him started so he doesn't have to rely on you.
    That's exactly the case. I don't know this guy much, the only thing I know is that he's innapropriate and I don't really wanna hang out with him, and I'm probably just going to tell him to learn off the Internet.

21. Kari
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 01:15:57

Jay4 wrote: That's exactly the case. I don't know this guy much, the only thing I know is that he's innapropriate and I don't really wanna hang out with him, and I'm probably just going to tell him to learn off the Internet.
    Most people give up right away because they can't do a trick right away. Try to teach him something a little more difficult for a beginner like twisted sonic or something. He will probably give up.

22. PERSIST
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 01:38:37

Kari wrote: Most people give up right away because they can't do a trick right away. Try to teach him something a little more difficult for a beginner like twisted sonic or something. He will probably give up.
    That's actually a really good idea. He already knows the charge, but that's it. Ughh, if I just knew how to do power tricks I'd probably tell him how to do one, maybe I'll just show him all the complicated stuff I know.

23. Froggy
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 01:46:41

Yes selfish is the word... Sorry I've been drinking haha... But whether u can power trick or not, I still think u should teach him whatever u know, whether friend or not... This way u can expand ur friend circle, expand PenSpinning, and have motivation to become better... Most of us spin alone, without real life friends spinning with us... And that's a sad life IMO... Make some friends while u still can, time is limited... Frog~

24. PERSIST
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 01:53:12

Froggy wrote: Yes selfish is the word... Sorry I've been drinking haha... But whether u can power trick or not, I still think u should teach him whatever u know, whether friend or not... This way u can expand ur friend circle, expand PenSpinning, and have motivation to become better... Most of us spin alone, without real life friends spinning with us... And that's a sad life IMO... Make some friends while u still can, time is limited... Frog~
    All of the above is true, but I want to be friends with people that I know, that's all. I don't want friends that only talk about PSing.

25. sangara
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 02:05:15

Jay4 wrote: but I want to be friends with people that I know, that's all.
    How the fuck are you ever going to make new friends?

26. PERSIST
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 03:04:24

sangara wrote: How the fuck are you ever going to make new friends?
    Well, the way I make friends is pretty much through schoolwork. I don't mind making friends through PSing, I just don't like this particular person b/c of who he is.

27. Kari
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 16:35:04

Jay4 wrote: Well, the way I make friends is pretty much through schoolwork. I don't mind making friends through PSing, I just don't like this particular person b/c of who he is.
    So basically you're saying you don't know this person and you don't want to know this person but you are judging him anyway. That's not very nice. How do you know you won't become great friends with him? You aren't even giving him a chance.

28. Awesome
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 18:01:42

Jay4 wrote: Well, the way I make friends is pretty much through schoolwork. I don't mind making friends through PSing, I just don't like this particular person b/c of who he is.
    A person who dislikes people for such a superficial reason is worse then the person he disdains.

29. PERSIST
    Date: Sun, Oct 7 2012 18:22:08

It's not a superficial reason, he just talks about PSing and nothing else. He's only interested in learning it, but he's not interested in being a social friend.

30. PERSIST
    Date: Mon, Oct 8 2012 00:39:37

I've got a solution. I'm on Fall Break right now, so I don't go back to school till Tuesday. I'll give this guy a few more days and see if he can redeem himself. This means he's got to keep a clean mouth, which I'll bet my Waterfall mod he can't, and he's got to talk about something non PS-related sometimes. He's also going to have to respect that I'm teaching my actual friend how PS too, and as of now, I personally trust my friend more, mainly b/c we talk about school and life most of the time and we already know each other well.

31. Froggy
    Date: Fri, Oct 12 2012 19:29:57

What's the problem with him talking PS stuffs only anyways? It's when u get to know each other better, then topics can be expanded. You'll have to start somewhere anyways, why can't it be PenSpinning? Why such limitations? And what's the bullshit with self redeeming or shit. He ain't trying to be your wife or some shit. Just a friend bro.. Chillax. Frog~

32. PERSIST
    Date: Sat, Oct 13 2012 19:09:37

Froggy wrote: What's the problem with him talking PS stuffs only anyways? It's when u get to know each other better, then topics can be expanded. You'll have to start somewhere anyways, why can't it be PenSpinning? Why such limitations And what's the bullshit with self redeeming or shit. He ain't trying to be your wife or some shit. Just a friend bro.. Chillax. Frog~
    I know, I know.

33. Atsume
    Date: Sat, Oct 13 2012 20:34:45

Obviously not. Just tell him that you'll teach him if he is more mannered, and doesn't talk about PSing 100% of the time. He'll either leave or comply. PROBLEM SOLVED.

34. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Thu, Oct 18 2012 02:39:45

I know tons of people who aren't good people, but I keep them closeby just for the sake of knowing everyone. Keeping them connections is good in case something bad happens. If you really don't want him around, what I do is give closed ended responses to questions and try to converse with someone else. Example: Bad guy: "Hey whats up man?" You: "Nothing" Bad guy: "Hey can you teach me this trick?" You: "Its hard to explain" or explain it in the worst way possible Tell the other guy that practice is key and tell him to practice the trick and come back when he can do it, then converse with your friend on a secluded topic, like something this bad guy wouldn't be able to make thoughts about ex genre of music, high level class assignments, gossip If you want to, you can like pull out a phone or look at a watch and be like "Oh snap I gotta go see a teacher" or "Oh snap I gotta get lunch" ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Bad guy: "Hey so how long have you been spinning?" You: "I don't know" Bad guy: "Are there more tricks?" You: "I guess" Bad guy: "Can you teach me more tricks?" You: "I don't know more tricks" or "Practice the basics" Then proceed to make conversation with someone. ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Bad guy: "Come on man teach me new tricks" You: "Just work on the basics" Bad guy: "I'm bored with them" You: "You know I don't have to show you how to do these tricks" Bad guy: "Just teach me" You: "If you ask me again without mastering the basics I'm not teaching you" ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Sit next to a girl at lunch and make interesting conversation. Most guys generally don't try to interrupt this unless they know the girl better than you. If he does try to interrupt, you could go back to the conversation after a closed ended response, or say something like: You: "Hey, uh, this is kind of a private conversation. Can you excuse me for a bit man?" If the guy is a dick he won't but most people would back off Trust me, I'm a professional cockblocker

35. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Oct 18 2012 03:26:12

planning out possible responses to possible situtations also has the risk of making you sound retaded. Please don't take the above as a literal word-by word script but rather as an example of the key concepts in mind.

36. MightAsWellGG
    Date: Fri, Oct 19 2012 18:54:13

Yes, please don't take the actual responses listed, because I don't know how your personality is and how you communicate with others, so take the message I'm trying to broadcast in those responses and put them into your own words.

37. shoeman6
    Date: Fri, Oct 19 2012 19:46:56

If someone is interested in pen spinning and expresses it, as the guy who is asking you for help is, teach him. There are so few spinners already it's really kind of the responsibility of a pen spinner to share the art. At the very least, tell him where he can go find more information and learn for himself. When pen spinning blew up when I taught a few of my friends in middle school, I made some really good friends who I still keep contact with today. My only concern today is that a lot of people who've never seen it have a lot of mis conceptions when they hear the term "pen spinning". They don't really know what to expect. Share the art. Being a douchebag or giving non-answers works, but all it really does is make you seem like a douchebag. If that's who you are, go for it, otherwise put up with the guy. We all have a friend or friends who are a bit annoying, or who we hated at first and grew to love. Lastly, if more people know how to spin, they'll appreciate your spinning more. Most people will stop at ta or fundamentals, but when they see you spin, it wont just look like you playing with your pen, they'll know it's pen spinning, and they'll be even more impressed. :)

38. PERSIST
    Date: Sat, Oct 20 2012 00:57:54

shoeman6 wrote: If someone is interested in pen spinning and expresses it, as the guy who is asking you for help is, teach him. There are so few spinners already it's really kind of the responsibility of a pen spinner to share the art. At the very least, tell him where he can go find more information and learn for himself. When pen spinning blew up when I taught a few of my friends in middle school, I made some really good friends who I still keep contact with today. My only concern today is that a lot of people who've never seen it have a lot of mis conceptions when they hear the term "pen spinning". They don't really know what to expect. Share the art. Being a douchebag or giving non-answers works, but all it really does is make you seem like a douchebag. If that's who you are, go for it, otherwise put up with the guy. We all have a friend or friends who are a bit annoying, or who we hated at first and grew to love. Lastly, if more people know how to spin, they'll appreciate your spinning more. Most people will stop at ta or fundamentals, but when they see you spin, it wont just look like you playing with your pen, they'll know it's pen spinning, and they'll be even more impressed. :)
    Yeah, I feel stupid talking about pen spinning as a hobby in school b/c pretty much everyone only knows about the fundamentals, so they must think that I just do the TA about a hundred times during my freetime. But anyways, this guy hasn't shown up for a couple weeks and my theory is that, over fall break (a week), he somehow came across this thread and stopped showing up, but God only knows. I ran into him yesterday afterschool and he said he decided not to come until he was "done" or something... and I was just getting used to the idea of teaching him =/ Well, that's one more load off my shoulders I guess.