UPSB v4

Member Introductions / Keep up the good work!

1. Tialys
    Date: Thu, Sep 6 2012 03:41:14

Hi all! I suppose this is not really an introduction. I recently met Zombo and we reminisced about the good ol' ( UPSB ) days... Anyway, I told him I'd stop by and see how things are going, seeing as I last posted here in August 2011. I still recognize a few familiar names. It's good to see UPSB doing well, especially the Serious Discussion & Forum Games sections. ^_^ Keep up the great work! If it's alright with the mods, in this thread I'd like to share an unfinished fictional PS story I started and stopped writing back in 2008. I'd need to edit it a bit first. Other than that, best of luck in all your PS endeavours!

2. fang
    Date: Thu, Sep 6 2012 12:29:02

Your name sound a bit familier!~

3. Zombo
    Date: Thu, Sep 6 2012 13:25:22

:welcome: lol

4. walkingjacket
    Date: Thu, Sep 6 2012 14:27:18

Welcome back Tialys/firebird! :)

5. Kari
    Date: Thu, Sep 6 2012 15:36:59

Welcome back sir. :lol:

6. Awesome
    Date: Thu, Sep 6 2012 16:32:50

You need to stop by more often.

7. Tialys
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 01:17:37

Thanks all! I don't think I'll be very active here, unfortunately. Just popped in to say hello and share this unfinished story I wrote so that someone else might find enjoyment in it and possibly even finish it off. Here it is: [B][SIZE="6"][COLOR="blue"]Freestyled Unfinished PS Story[/COLOR][/SIZE] [/B] [SIZE="4"][B]Prologue[/B][/SIZE] In ancient civilizations, technology assumed the form of adaptive strategies in response to the natural environment. Humans manipulated fire to create warmth, fashioned weapons to hunt animals, and built shelters to ensure protection. However, once the basic needs of small communities could be easily satisfied, people were confronted with the challenge of supporting greater populations. The main obstacle—feeding a large populace—was overcome by deeper agricultural insight, which promoted agrarian societies by providing people with a reliable and available alternative to hunting. As such communities expanded and diverged, people felt increasingly disconnected and sought to strengthen the infrastructure of their towns. Railroad tracks were laid down to stitch settlements together and postal service enabled communication between distant citizens. In the early 19th century, the Industrial Revolution catalyzed urbanization by creating an explosion of manufacturing jobs. All these historical examples highlight the versatility of technology: in the early ages it was necessitated by the human survival instinct but in modern times has played a complementary role. Once the rural-urban dichotomy was firmly entrenched, technology mainly served to increase the quality of human life. The automobile allowed ordinary families to commute with ease, new medicine treated previously incurable sicknesses, and the telephone connected citizens like never before. The advent of the personal computer in the 1970s was arguably the most influential contemporary technology because it paved the way for related “leading-edge” technologies. The 1990s and early 2000s saw the continued development of the computer, as well as innovations like the Internet, laptops, cell phones, PDAs, mp3 players, and Blackberries. These technological breakthroughs had such wide-ranging and important consequences that many people now consider them essential to human life, much like the technologies of ancient times. Computer technology has been incorporated into business while laptops, cell phones, and Blackberries have similarly become part of the “modern business culture”. However, there are consequences associated with relying on convenient new technologies as necessities. Besides accepting the negative aspects of the technology, such as hackers stealing personal information from databases, there is a less apparent ramification: once a new technology becomes widely accepted, it becomes irreversibly integrated into culture. [SIZE="4"][B]Chapter 1[/B][/SIZE] London, England June 27, 2014 The prime minister, standing composedly behind the lectern, was wrapping up his speech: “… For years we have reaped the enormous benefits of information technology. We have seen it work its wonders through many applications. The Tube—now a high-speed rail system that covers most of England—has become fully computerized, leaving no possibility for human error. Business has completely adopted a high-tech framework, and in doing so realized unprecedented levels of efficiency. Ubiquitous wireless Internet has torn down conventional barriers of communication and through its accessibility connected us on a deeper level. High-end laptops now cost a mere ₤25 and their mandatory presence in classrooms has enhanced learning, making our children the brightest in the world.” The prime minister paused for emphasis, allowing the words to sink in. The crowd cheered raucously, waving flags and signs to show their support. Once the noise had subsided to a low murmur, the PM continued: “The point is that technological progress must continue unfettered if we are to retain our position at the forefront of the world. We have entered the digital age and have no choice but to press onward. And while research enables us to make progress, we must also be wary of obsolete technology that hinders our advancement. That is why, as of today, I am enacting the Information Technology Act (ITA). It will be posted online as well as mailed to all households. I suggest that you all read it and ensure that you understand its contents. With that said, I thank you for your attendance—whether you are here in person or watching from your living room—and hope that, with your cooperation, we can continue make our country the best in the world.” The prime minster stepped off the podium to more cheering and chants of “UK! UK! UK!” Adrian stopped the digital recorder and turned off the TV. Funny how far things had come (or receded, depending on how you looked at it) in the matter of a couple of years. The ITA was enacted back in 2012 amidst great patriotic zeal, but also among much dissent. A key area that was affected was the recording of information. Traditionally, information was generally recorded using a writing implement, such as a pencil or pen. However, people began to show a preference for laptops due to their convenience. These people pushed laptops in place of pens and pencils. They opined that computers had greater potential than writing. They also claimed that writing was becoming archaic, like inscribing was considered archaic at one time. Of course there were those who wanted to preserve writing, but they were a minority. A controversial sub-section of the ITA stipulated that writing implements were to be banned, with a grace period of one year. The time frame passed, and people were continuing to use them. As such, the lawmakers imposed Draconian penalties: a minimum of 6 months’ jail time, which could increase to up to 2 years if anti-government intent was proved in court. The government also sought to destroy the implements, which grew scarce and were only obtainable on the black market. This also made things risky for those who used pens and pencils for things other than writing… [SIZE="4"][B]Chapter 2[/B][/SIZE] London, England July 15, 2014 Adrian shifted nervously in his seat as the Tube approached the penultimate station. At fifteen years of age, he was a typical teenager, sporting blue jeans, a plain gray t-shirt and white plimsolls. His fair complexion accentuated his hazel eyes, which shone with youthful inquisitiveness behind black-rimmed glasses. Dark brown hair that was neatly combed back complemented the look—not that he was overly concerned with appearance. The bullies at school still bombarded him with an inexhaustible supply of insults, jeering his nerdy attributes. He hardly cared, though. At the moment, he was perusing a pamphlet for the umpteenth time. The front of the brochure featured a sketch of a hand spinning a pen. The inside read: The Art of Pen Spinning This pamphlet has been sent to you by the Universal Pen Spinning Board because you have shown an avid interest in the art of pen spinning. If you would like to pursue individual tutoring, see the reverse side for the contact information of instructors in your area. (Their names have been omitted for security reasons.) The reverse side featured only a single listing of an address and phone number. He had dialed the number using his mobile phone and the ensuing conversation was brief: “Hello? Who is this?” a male voice asked. “My name’s Adrian” he responded, careful not to reveal his surname. “Ah, you must be calling about UPSB’s academic tutoring.” “Umm … academ—?” The boy caught on and corrected himself. “Oh, yeah.” “Excellent. I assume that by calling this number you would like to enroll in tutoring sessions. The first meeting is a consultation, which is free of charge. When are you available?” Adrian mentally consulted his schedule and quickly thought of a suitable time. “How is next Saturday afternoon?” “3:00 pm okay?” “Yeah, that should be good.” “Ok, I’ll see you then. Please bring the brochure, if you don’t mind.” “Alright. Goodbye then.” “Goodbye.”

8. Awesome
    Date: Sat, Sep 8 2012 02:09:34

I am intrigued; make sure you post more when you write it here ;D