UPSB v4

Member Introductions / Hi, I started a few days ago.

1. Pygmy_Marmoset
    Date: Sun, Aug 8 2010 22:41:39

I found pen spinning through looking into different activities that would help me with my balisong (butterfly knife) skills. I've been using balisongs for about 8 months. This is me doing a short balisong combo: [video=youtube;q2e8-NlnTUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2e8-NlnTUs[/video] After trying pen spinning I knew I wanted to start doing it as well. I don't know if it seems this way because I'm so new to it, but pen spinning seems harder than flipping a balisong. With the balisong it's mostly in the wrist, with pen spinning it seems to be mostly in the fingers, and therefore there's a little more technique to it. I live in the US and have shorter hands. Can anyone recommend some pen mods I can make with pens available in the US? It seems whenever I try to find pens for a certain mod they're not in any of the stores here.

2. ScaringChildren
    Date: Sun, Aug 8 2010 22:48:14

The easiest and simplest mod to make in the US without ordering or trading for other pens is probably the bictory. There's also some other variations you could do with just pens in the US. (RSVP MX but with a signo tip and a g2 grip.)

3. KTrinh93
    Date: Sun, Aug 8 2010 23:50:06

if you can get your hands on some pentel rsvps (very common in the US) you could make a v1 or RSVP CX but use a signo tip instead of an hgg tip. also if your parents let you you can order some pens online at http://www.penwish.com and buy some more pens there. but since you mentioned small hands rsvp-based mods are probably the best for you. or if you can order online a metallic comssa isnt that bad either.

4. Matt
    Date: Mon, Aug 9 2010 00:28:39

KTrinh93 wrote: if you can get your hands on some pentel rsvps (very common in the US) you could make a v1 or RSVP CX but use a signo tip instead of an hgg tip. also if your parents let you you can order some pens online at http://www.penwish.com and buy some more pens there. but since you mentioned small hands rsvp-based mods are probably the best for you. or if you can order online a metallic comssa isnt that bad either.
    haha "if your parents let you..." this guy looks 25!

5. Pygmy_Marmoset
    Date: Mon, Aug 9 2010 02:01:24

Thanks for the helpful info everyone. Matt is correct, I'm actually 27, so getting parental permission isn't much of a concern. I'm going to try and make both the bictory and the RSVP mods KTrinh93 mentioned. I'd actually like to make the most expensive and difficult mod I can with US parts as well. What would this be?

6. ScaringChildren
    Date: Mon, Aug 9 2010 02:04:29

If possible, I'd highly suggest you order some stuff of of Penwish.

7. Pygmy_Marmoset
    Date: Mon, Aug 9 2010 02:11:45

Is the pen selection in the US really that sparse? I live in an area with a lot of stores, and to be fair I've only gone to one store looking for pens - OfficeMax. The other pen selling chains which I have access to but haven't gone to yet are Dick Blick, Michael's, Staples, and Office Depot.

8. Jamal
    Date: Mon, Aug 9 2010 02:33:42

you could try a g2 cte vortex, probably the most difficult/best mod to make from only US parts :o

9. Awesome
    Date: Mon, Aug 9 2010 03:11:17

yeah, pen spinning isn't as popular in north america as it is in Europe and Asia, as such most pen mods are designed with other countries pens in mind. Then again I don't really pay attention to mods and can't really help you in that regard. When starting out a simple RSVP unmodded or an unsharpened pencil will suffice to learn the fundamentals, so you don't have to worry about getting a mod right away. You might find yourself more interested in modding then actual spinning, which is fairly common, Anyway :welcome: