UPSB v4

Pen Modifications / Kaidan G-3 Mod Review

1. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 05:52:05

[SPOILER="Quick Video Review:"]

[video=youtube;nmsFKV859GE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmsFKV859GE[/video]
    [/SPOILER]
    [SIZE="4"][B]Introduction:[/B][/SIZE] Kaidan G-3 mod came out pretty much the same time as Mesi G-3 mod in Ponkotu's blog, but never got "popular" because of Mesi's awesome spinning. Kaidan is pretty good at wiper/infinity tricks, and this mod is clearly designed to make it easier for those types of tricks as well. [SIZE="4"][B]Basic Stats:[/B][/SIZE] Length: 21.1cm Weight: 14~15g CoG: CoP, but not CoSS [SIZE="4"][B]Structure Overview:[/B][/SIZE] Front tips: G-Spec tipped with Plastic G-3 tip. Front grip: Anyball/Profile Barrel: G-3 Cap: Hyper Jell cap with PC2 cap. [SIZE="4"][B]Features:[/B][/SIZE] The main feature of the mod is the back structure. The additional Signo Broad cap extends the Hyper Jell cap by 1.4cm, giving it a full 4.7cm of spinning space just on the cap itself, making wiper/infinity tricks much easier to execute. To make it even better, the Hyper Jell cap is cut 0.5cm from the base, making the transition between the Signo Broad cap and the Hyper Jell cap much smoother, with minimized difference. The mod is also very customizable in both color, and structure. Both Anyball and PC2 comes in variety of colors, so spinners can mix and match to suit their preference. Even if Anyball is not your preferred grip, because it's just "there", basically any grip can be used (assuming the inner diameter is similar to Anyball's). Structure wise, both the Signo Broad cap and G-2 piece can be adjusted to suit individual's liking. Extending the Signo Broad cap allows more spinning space on the cap, and extending the G-2 piece allows more spinning space on the barrel itself. Because it uses Hyper Jell cap, Janmee cap can be used instead of Hyper Jell, which allows the clip to be fully removed, to maximize spinning area. [SIZE="4"][B]Flaws:[/B][/SIZE] The front G-3 area is sanded similarly to f1r3f1y's G-3 mod, which makes the front fragile and more likely to crack after drops. Personally, I don't see why Kaidan decided to make the mod more fragile just by extending the spinning space by 1cm. The back structure is also held tight by the insert alone, which may tear depending on the humidity of the location. Luckily, because the cap is not extremely heavy, chances of that happening is slim (but also depends on the modder). Modding it took me just over 2hours on first try, and for a G-3 mod, 2hours is a lot of time spent. To make it more complex, the back part took me a full 1hour to mod and adjust. This mod takes time and skill to be perfected, otherwise it won't be stable enough and parts will start to fall off. [SIZE="4"][B]Conclusion:[/B][/SIZE] A pretty good mod for a G-3 mod, with high level of customization. At first glance, the mod may seem very fragile, but that can be minimized if modded correctly, hence it is not recommended for beginners to attempt to mod one. [SIZE="4"]
    [B]Personal Rating: 8/10 :thumb:[/B]
    [/SIZE]

2. Kyoflow
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 06:15:30

more people should start doing more reviews like this :D nice review froggy, very informative. i was wondering about the cap when i saw this on soyp :P btw, past tense of cut is still cut, not cutted

3. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 06:18:23

fixed :blush: Frog~

4. Kyoflow
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 06:19:51

the speed at which you fix things whether it be your own post or somebody's mistake still scares me a bit. lol well shows ur dedication to the board :D

5. ItsNick
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 08:35:01

i tot kaidan g3 using signo tip

6. Chobi
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 10:55:42

@Froggy how would you say it does, spinning-wise? compared to the other 14~15g G3 mods out there.

Erza wrote: i tot kaidan g3 using signo tip
    here brah http://annkou2.blog105.fc2.com/blog-entry-700.html

7. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 14:01:54

@Chobi I personally prefer Kaidan over the others (Key3, Coulomb, Seven..), mainly because of the extra spinning area (both barrel and cap). The feeling is just like spinning MMX after spinning MX.... that extra spinning area gives you much more control and easier to execute tricks. Frog~

8. HenryS
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 14:09:46

i think if you post a tutorial it will be better because i want the mod recipe

9. ChainBreak
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 15:17:04

I think he put the extra part on the front to make up for the loss of some spinning zone on the back.

10. L-in
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 18:24:53

Very thorough review! You can make some good sales from this.

11. astronaut
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 19:43:42

Not to sound like a noob, but what does CoSS mean?

12. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 20:20:41

Center of Spinning Space Frog~

astronaut wrote: Not to sound like a noob, but what does CoSS mean?

13. PenwisH
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 20:27:11

the fragility of this is a turn off

14. Kyoflow
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 21:12:11

PenwisH wrote: the fragility of this is a turn off
    Lol much like the f1r3fly g3? I guess mods like those aren't meant for practicing as much for just looks

15. Froggy
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 21:33:55

firefly is pretty much for the looks.. ... but kaidan g3 is actually pretty spinnable :\ still.. sanding front g3 just for extra 1cm of spinning space is meh :\ Frog~

Kyoflow wrote: Lol much like the f1r3fly g3? I guess mods like those aren't meant for practicing as much for just looks

16. Kyoflow
    Date: Thu, Jul 26 2012 21:49:22

Froggy wrote: firefly is pretty much for the looks.. ... but kaidan g3 is actually pretty spinnable :\ still.. sanding front g3 just for extra 1cm of spinning space is meh :\ Frog~
    im actually really curious how the kaidan g3 spins...i want one...i dont has the money to bid on it if u auction it...im gonna spend even more money tryin to make the mod and screwing up over and over lolol

17. PenwisH
    Date: Tue, Jul 31 2012 01:44:42

Well Just made this and it spins pretty nice. The fragility i sthere but has been fine so far. the extra spinning space is only 1cm or so but actually pretty nice

18. ShadrCom3t
    Date: Tue, Jul 31 2012 01:59:38

PenwisH wrote: The fragility i sthere but has been fine so far. the extra spinning space is only 1cm or so but actually pretty nice
    Maybe someone should do a TEK durability test for us :rofl:

19. PenwisH
    Date: Tue, Jul 31 2012 02:19:33

too much of a pain in the ass to mod. i won't break mine =p

20. Froggy
    Date: Tue, Jul 31 2012 06:51:51

pretty sure it will break :/ lol... not a mod u should abuse with xD Frog~

21. PenwisH
    Date: Tue, Jul 31 2012 16:53:34

Well i've dropped it a few times no breaks yet but long term noobage = break still since i've broken firefly before in similar manner

22. MickChickenn
    Date: Tue, Jul 31 2012 21:46:40

You need to do more of these.

23. 20%
    Date: Sat, Dec 15 2012 06:38:02

Looks awesome, great vid review