UPSB v4

Research Department Feedback / Structural stability

1. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jun 29 2012 14:19:43

New article has been released. View it here: http://www.upsb.info/wiki/index.php?title=Structural_stability

2. Nashi
    Date: Fri, Jun 29 2012 14:43:03

Who wrote that? D:

3. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jun 29 2012 15:19:13

Nashi wrote: Who wrote that? D:
    I wrote it a long time ago

4. Nashi
    Date: Fri, Jun 29 2012 15:25:31

Aaah, okay. ^_^ I like the article. edit: [QUOTE="Wiki entry"]One example I have is ponkotu's R3 video. [/QUOTE] Which R3 Video? WT, WC... (: Maybe should be added to the article (I guess it was WC10?)

5. Zombo
    Date: Fri, Jun 29 2012 16:17:59

Nashi wrote: Aaah, okay. ^_^ I like the article. edit: Which R3 Video? WT, WC... (: Maybe should be added to the article (I guess it was WC10?)
    wc10 edited

6. MickChickenn
    Date: Fri, Jun 29 2012 17:10:06

Interesting. Very interesting.

7. Kyoflow
    Date: Sat, Jun 30 2012 21:16:07

lol bringing the RD back to life zombo? makes me feel bad that the projects ive been working on havent been going anywhere cuz im stuck lol edit: just read through it completely. I like your comparison to music theory. melodic line progressing to relief and comfort, accidentals leading to build up of tension, then a resolution provided by a chord that relieves the tension. edit2: ok so i spent some time thinking about it, and this video shows quite a few examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqboOZd50XY&list=UUOjCUm_vhKLSay1iyVwPxIA&index=1&feature=plcp in his ring combo, there is obvious instability to his combo. alot of it seems to be tempo and rotational stability, but some of it isnt listed in your article. for example, alot of his spins are not perfect circles, and involve the pen spinning in an "awkward" spin. this is because we assume for the most part that the pen will spin around either the moment of inertial, or one the tips (such as wipers), but his tricks often spin around a point in between the two points. i believe more about the point of rotation versus the moment of inertia needs to be explained in the rotational stability sub section. lack of spin also needs to be discussed further, as you can see at 0:18 and 0:23. at both points the pen stops moving completely, but the hand continues to move around the pen. creating instability. whether this is tempo or rotational instability im not sure though... speaking of lack of rotation, i feel like sudden changes of direction also affects stability as seen in many of fel2frams videos many of the other combos also demonstrate positional instability while the pen is spinning without extended combos in the lower slots (although alot of them do use the lower slots). during several combos you will notice that its not actually what slot the hand is being help at, but what positions his free fingers are in the creates a massive amount of tension. where most pen spinners keep their fingers aligned and straight, his will often be bending and twisting in ways most peoples dont, causing tension in the combo. also, speed can affect stability without changing itself. for example, at 0:28 and 0:50, he does the continuous tricks with extremely fast hand movements and extremely fast spin. this creates instability although it is quite clear that he has mastered the trick. within speed, there is hand speed and pen speed. many vgg power combos involve the pen spinning at high speeds since they are power tricks, but since his pen is so long, it takes just a hair longer for it to complete rotation, which gives the illusion that his hands are moving much slower, creating more stability. but with kin and his power tricks, his hands are moving much faster to accomodate the fast spinning mx, which gives off a sense of instability. mods also affect stability severely, as with ease and spinning a dr grip, the pen is obviously front heavy, meaning cont power tricks spin extremely close to the tip of the pen, creating instability (back to the moment of inertia idea). mods with half the pen colored differently may also affect stability as your eyes may be more distracted by one color or the other. last, i dont think there is a true trick family stability being that the examples of triangle pass and wipers both fall under other categories. triangle pass being in positional stability since most people do not expect the pen to be spun from that position. wipers being rotations as the point of rotation is way off from the moment of inertia. @Zombo lol i feel like i may be missing some things or not getting this completely so please correct me if i wrong about something (eager for further discussion on the topic :P)

8. Deveroux
    Date: Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:35:24

@Zombo, you mind if I edit that page? I don't mean to change anything but I just want to add a few letters here and there to fix a few of the grammar mistakes. That okay with you or would you rather you keep my hands off of it?

9. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Jul 18 2012 15:59:26

Deveroux wrote: @Zombo, you mind if I edit that page? I don't mean to change anything but I just want to add a few letters here and there to fix a few of the grammar mistakes. That okay with you or would you rather you keep my hands off of it?
    sure do what you want

10. Deveroux
    Date: Thu, Jul 19 2012 15:31:22

Alright, finished revising. Thanks for letting me edit! :)

11. Kari
    Date: Fri, Jul 27 2012 15:36:24

I corrected a few spelling and grammatical errors to that wiki post. I hope you don't mind. ^_^

12. Deveroux
    Date: Fri, Jul 27 2012 20:12:53

@Kari wait, I missed some? o_o I re-read through it like five times to make sure I didn't miss something...

13. Kari
    Date: Fri, Jul 27 2012 21:02:39

Deveroux wrote: @Kari wait, I missed some? o_o I re-read through it like five times to make sure I didn't miss something...
    You missed I believe five things. Haha

14. Deveroux
    Date: Sat, Jul 28 2012 22:52:45

@Kari Well then those countless miserable hours in english class all went to waste. Thanks for cleaning up my mess.

15. Kari
    Date: Sat, Jul 28 2012 23:34:02

Deveroux wrote: @Kari Well then those countless miserable hours in english class all went to waste. Thanks for cleaning up my mess.
    Happy to help. :p

16. Walkaz
    Date: Wed, Aug 1 2012 12:40:56

about tempo stability,i tend to change speed a lot when i make combos ( unreleased of course ),so does that mean that my tempo is unstable? because i have been experimenting on speed changes for awhile and feel that speed changing can make a combo more interesting and if spin with the music,more on-beat

17. Zombo
    Date: Wed, Aug 1 2012 19:02:14

Walkaz wrote: about tempo stability,i tend to change speed a lot when i make combos ( unreleased of course ),so does that mean that my tempo is unstable? because i have been experimenting on speed changes for awhile and feel that speed changing can make a combo more interesting and if spin with the music,more on-beat
    unstable doesnt mean its not good the goal is to vary stability, make the combo change stability. so changing speed can be good if you know how to do it

18. ChainBreak
    Date: Wed, Aug 1 2012 19:22:01

Yeah changing speed can look really good. Look at Fire@Fox he does nice speed changes during combos.